Lost

Through the Looking Glass (2)

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 23, 2007 on ABC

• That was the best thing I have ever witnessed on Television!

I think a lot of people will agree with me, when I say Lost is the greatest Drama/Adventure series of our time. This last episode of this season was evidence of this.

I was on the edge of my seat... Truly spectacular ending to the series. Revealed so much. I must say I expected a bigger fight between Locke and Jack... but I was still very satisfied.

That future flashback thing they did was excellent. I simply cannot WAIT for the next season...

Screw Heroes finale... I am sticking with Lost.
  • "We were not supposed to leave" The second island purge is played out, Charlie makes an heroic sacrifice, Ben is beaten to a pulp, the freighter is contacted and Jack and Kate are seen to have left the island...but now have to go back!

As with Season 2 the highlight of Season 3 was this finale. It has earned its place as my new favourite episode of them all, beating the Season 2 finale. Certainly this season's finale is more epic than Season 2's "Live Together, Die Alone" and taps into many more of Lost's strengths. I had complained at the beginning of the season at the lack of adventure, which probably had something to do with the fact that three of our characters were locked behind Polar Baer cages on a separate island and the remaining characters were milling around on the beach, waiting for something to happen. Luckily Kate got the A-Missions back into the series when she organised a mission to save Jack from Othersville. Since then there have been several missions and treks into the jungle but nothing on the scale of the one in this episode. Every season finale, thus far, has had an A-Mission. Season 1 was going to the Black Rock to retreive the dynamite and blowing up the Hatch, Season 2 was the quest to rescue Walt from the Others and this season is the ultimate mission - to reach the Radio Tower and contact a freighter that seemingly promises rescue for all the survivors! But as it is with Lost, everything is not as it seems. Both Ben and Locke warn Jack and his followers that the mysterious parachutist, Naomi is not who she says she is and that her friends on the freighter may not be coming to the island to rescue people, more likely the opposite. Ben and Locke's warnings can be believed as Naomi was surely lying when she mentioned that the wreckage of Flight 815 had been found underwater. Season 3 focused on the Others and by the end sets up the focus of the next season - The Freighter Folk!
    As was foreshadowed in "The Man Behind the Curtain" a second purge was put into action, our Losties coming out better in the end. The moment when Hurley steamrolls over the Others in the DHARMA van is glorious. One of the highlights is the Ben and Jack confrontation. As it began and built it reminded me of a similar moment between Goodwin and Ana-Lucia in "The Other 48 Days" in Season 2. Wonderful performances and quick-paced editing make this a standout moment. But there are many standout moments. Interestingly, for all the action scenes the episode never fully feels like an action packed episode. Much of the momentum is acheived through the anticipation and suspense of the events that unfold before your eyes and the acting performances. Michael Emerson remains irresistible as Ben, as he has since Day 1. But it has really only been in this season where the other actors have been given the excuse to dig a little deeper into their acting souls. Josh Holloway got a chance to reach new depths with Sawyer in "The Brig" and Dominic Monaghan has had his best chance to show what he can do with the character of Charlie.
    Speaking of Charlie, his death, though expected by many, was still powerful and shocking, not to mention emotional. Those that had rooted for Charlie's death surely came away from this episode feeling guilty. Who would have guessed at the beginning of the series that Charlie would have been the key to getting them off the island. Many have wondered why Charlie didn't make a run for it after seeing Mikhail but it is likely that he had succombed to his fate and maybe also he was protecting Desmond just like Desmond had been protecting Charlie for so long.
    We learn that signals from the island were being jammed by Bonnie and Greta under the orders of both Ben and, presumably, Jacob, to protect the island from the outside world. Seeing as Jack contacted the freighter in the end all that effort was seemingly in vain. However, this information does seem to close a loose-end regarding the island communication. Since the beginning of Season 3 the Others were under the impression that the Hatch Implosion [referred as the Incident or when the "Sky went purple"] was responsible for the loss of communication,when in fact it probably did little to change anything physically on the island. Another interesting revelation was when Bonnie tells Charlie that the code to unlock the jamming device was programmed by a musician. It got me thinking that maybe the code to "save the world" using the Swan computer [Hurley's numbers] were also programmed by someone, a musician or a mathmatician perhaps. So that would mean that just as the Looking Glass code was revealed to be the Beach Boys song, "Good Vibrations" the Swan station code is probably hiding something similar. I haven't had time to work out what the numbers on the Swan's computer could be if they relate to musical notes.
    There are several mini-revelations and alot of set-up for the following season but none of the key mysteries are revealed in this installment, which may come as a slight disappointment, but by episode's end that feeling is washed away when you get the huge revation that at least two characters - Jack and Kate - had escaped from the island and that the flashback events that led to this revelation were actually in fact all flash-forward. There had been clues pre-this episode that suggested that the writers were going to be changing the format of the off-island action somehow. After all, Season 3 was particularly keen to reveal the answers to all our pressing questions about the character's backstories. We had learnt about Jack's tattoo, how Juliet came to the island, Ben's background and how he got to the island, the Others Pregnancy experiments, the purge with the DHARMA Initiative, how Locke became wheel-chair bound, how Jin got to become a hitman for Sun's father, who the real Mr Sawyer was and his connection with John Locke, and who Chistian Shepherd's daughter was - Claire!!! All these answers served two purposes, to clear the way for flashforwards and to clear the way for more island-based mysteries to be explored in the future. As with the flashbacks the new flashforward device seen here is akin to Desmond's own condition. Like Desmond has experienced all season audiences were propelled into the future through flashes before their eyes. The whole Desmond time-travel flashes into future events was a very clever foreshadowing plot device used by the writers to set up the moment we realise that our off-island drama is occuring sometime in the future. The plot devices and literary techniques used throughout the season have been nothing less than awesomelingly impressive.
    Aside from the shock aspect generated the flashforwards also feature an engaging turn by Matthew Fox as a drunken and drugged Jack Shepherd, which comes off as just a surprise as the fact that he left the island. He does a great job of showing us a wayward Jack, which juxtaposes his current mental state on the island. One of the most interesting parts of the flashback, which has caused a little ripple amongst the Lost fan community is the reference to Christian Shepherd. When Jack is accused of drinking by the new Chief of Surgery, Dr Hammill, Jack responds by ordering that he get his father down here and if Jack is drunker than he is then Jack can be fired. Many fans have speculated that Jack's father is still alive, which I don't. I interpreted it that Jack was being sarcastic to Dr Hammill. Matthew Fox's smug expression was enough to make me believe that he was being sarcastic. Of course Christian would be alot drunker than Jack is because he is dead. Jack was trying to be funny and used the current state of his father to compare against his own. I hope I have explained this as clear as I can!
    I guess sometimes Black humour can pass under the radar of fans searching for the next easter egg to speculate over. Now that the second island purge is seemingly over and a rescue operation of sorts was carried out leading to Jack and Kate finding safe haven back in the real world, the door is left wide open for future episode plotlines. For all those who left the show before this groundbreaking episode this is the kind of episode that could bring you back, providing you accept the new flash device. Those that had tired of the flashbacks will find great solace in this narrative shake-up and suddenly for the first time since the Season 1 Pilot episode the series feels fresh and new again. If, as Ben says, Jack has unleashed the "beginning of the end" he has also opened the Hatch door to a new beginning of a show that seemed doomed midway through the season and now is suddenly reinvigorated.
    This episode only goes to prove that there is plenty of fuel left in the tank.
  • This is hands down, the best episode of Lost ever and a fantastic way to end the third season.

It's been a year and a half since Through the Looking Glass hit our screens and wowed Lost fans alike and I still haven't got over it. From the beginning to the end it was a non stop thrill ride which didn't allow the audience to put their emotions to rest for one single second. Definately the best episode of Lost ever and hopefully an episode that will only be trumped by the season 6 finale. The episode is a Jack flashback and I admit I was one of those people who groaned when they realised what they were watching. I was expecting some revelations about what happened to Jack, whilst he was with the others, something that would shock us all and I was slightly disgusted that we were once again seeing a useless Jack flashback. That was until the end when Lost changed forever...and the show has never been better. The main revelation of this episode is that what we were watching was not a Jack flashback, but a Jack flashforward and that he and Kate have somehow escaped the island. It took my brain a few minutes to catch up with my common sense when Kate walked out of the shadows. How could Kate have known Jack before the crash? Did they suffer memory loss? And do I even want that to make sense? And then it hit me like a ton of bricks and I have never looked at Lost in the same light again. Damon and Carleton came up with a plot that gave the show the fresh new edge it needed, especially after the sometimes unjustified negetive comments of the third season. By the end of this episode there was simply no denying that this was the best show on television. The island action was probably the most exciting moment of the episode. Jack tried to lead a large group of the survivors up to the radio tower so they can send a signal to Naomi's freighter but they are met with complications. First of all Sayid, Jin and Bernard have get rid of the others who tried to attack the beachcamp, then Charlie has to switch off the jamming equipment in the Looking Glass station and thats not even taking into account Ben and Locke's attempts to sabotage the survivors' escape. Soon into the episode it become apparent things were going wrong. Sayid, Jin and Bernard were kidnapped by the only three others they left alive, Tom, Pryce and Jason, and then when Ben realised were Jack was going he drew his trump card. He met up with Jack and his team and told Jack that if he didn't hand over Naomi's radio and go back to the beach then he would order Tom to kill Sayid, Jin and Bernard. Knowing that he couldn't risk the rescue of the group Jack refused to give up the radio and gunshots rang out over Ben's radio in one of the most shocking and sickening moments in the show. Matthew Fox's acting is brilliant in this scene, his recoil as the gunshots ring out and then the anger washing over him as he beats up Michael Emerson yet again. Fans everywhere were devastated that two main cast members and a pretty amazing guest star had been wiped out in the space of a few seconds and it seemed this finale would take a darker turn. But I think we all cheered in triumph when we realised that Tom had bluffed and shot the sand instead. And then came the best action scene in Lost ever. Sawyer and Juliet had split off from Jack's group when they realised the others had taken Sayid, Jin and Bernard hostage. When Hurley had tried to go with them they refused but as they arrive at the beach they realised how wrong they were...as Hurley comes bursting out of the trees in his VW van and runs down Pryce in one of the most triumphant moments ever. Sayid than did a crazy breakdancing thing with his legs and broke Jason's neck and Sawyer ended the show by shooting Tom in the chest, even though he had given up. Seems he finally got payback for Tom kidnapping Walt. Elsewhere in this episode Charlie and Desmond manage to clear Mikhail, Bonnie and Greta out the way so they can continue with their task but all is not right. After shutting down the blocking signal, Charlie gets a video message from Penelope who soon realises that Charlie is an 815 survivor. However before Charlie can call Desmond over to be reunited with Penny, Mikhail shows up and uses a grenade to blow a hole in the porthole. Charlie closes the door so Desmond can be saved and his destiny can end and then dies in an incredibly tearjerking moment. As the episode ends Ben is a hostage of Jacks', Locke has failed in his attempt to stop the survivors from leaving the island and Jack has finally called for help. But something is wrong.
    We now know that Naomi's boat wasn't sent there by Penelope Widmore so then who was it sent by? Are they here to hurt the survivors like Ben and Locke have said and if they are than why and who do they really work for? We know in the future that Jack wants to go back to the island because he feels they shouldn't have left but then what has happened to warrant this change of heart? And if Jack and Kate are off the island who else is off the island? And how the hell are they going to get back?
    Here's waiting for season 4.
  • ...

Am I the only one who didn't understand a lot of things?? First of all, why director, producer and rest of all cast is playing with our brains? Watching all this long episode which lasted for 84 minutes and had a serious headache, in fact I had a brainstorm, because I could understand if Jack's vision is his past or his future. He became a drug addict, there was his ex-wife and he told to the doctor to get his father downstairs and that if Jack is drunker than Christian, Dr. Hamill can fire him. In fact he wouldn't say that if his father would be dead. But when he had that meeting nearby the airport I had assumption that it'll be Kate or somebody else from plane or island, I didn't have the believe that will be his wife. I couldn't understand whose funeral was that, about whom Kate's speaking about in the last scene of this episode. How did Penelope made connection to this concrete station, because in my view it's kinda impossible to find the real connection. Yeah, in fact there was too many things that I didn't manage to understand. Can somebody help?
    Ok, but seriously I'm in rush to watch season 4.
  • The most shocking and crazy revelation of Lost to date.

After the season 1 and 2 finales, I was shocked. The best way to describe my sentiments would be something along the lines of, “omg wtf is going on here?!?!?!” But after season three’s finale, my reaction is simple: “What?!” and that “what” should be said with a “wtf” tone. Seriously. What do you even say to all of this. I just…I just don’t even know.

(see Part One for my review on the first hour.)

I’ll start off with the final scene – the most pivotal.

I was shocked when Kate came out of the car. It wasn’t until she said, “still pulling people out of burning wreckages” that I clued in – they’re in the future. I love that Oceanic gave everyone a golden pass. But as funny as that is, this scene was so depressing! When LOST appeared on the screen, I was thinking, why is the episode ending now? This is the weirdest thing ever. It’s all so…confusing.

This is what I’m worried out. Presumably, we’ve seen what happens to Jack when he gets off the island. Which, of course, means they do get off the island. But when? Will this happen in season four or five? Or not until the very end? If so, they better not leave us with a drug addicted alcoholic suicidal Jack.

Hum. But Jack said to the new attending, “go get my father and see if he’s drunker than I am”. What was all that about? Christian’s not alive in the future…is he? So many questions and theories! My brain doesn’t know what to think.

I just realized that we were given a clue in plain sight that they were in the “future”: Jack had a Razr cell phone. I thought the props crew has been sloppy, but it all makes sense now. Oh, and Jack looked hilarious with the sunglasses and the beard, speeding down the road. Speaking of which, who in the world died? Who was in the coffin?

Jack to Kate: “I love you”. Yet there he goes kissing Juliet. Both of those events really shocked me. But make up your mind, Jack!

Danielle’s reunion with Alex was funny. Their first words: “Will you help me tie him up?” So sentimental.

So, it wasn’t enough to kill seven of the Others. They had to add in another three! I was cheering on Desmond when he shot Mikhail. But I swear, Mikhail is a true Claire Bennet. That dude’s insane. And his eye was really gross looking.

It’s a shame there are censors here, because I would really like to share my “colourful” language that was used when Sayid, Jin, and Bernard were shot. However, I let out a big “thank god!” when it was revealed they were still alive. Thank you Tom! Oh, and RIP, man. His death was bittersweet. Sawyer did it for Walt. And, come on…it’s Sawyer we’re talking about here. When the guy does something sentimental, you gotta expect some violence.

On the subject of the beach scenes, I’m quite pleased Hurley and the Dharma Mobile saved everyone! That was hilarious to see the van zooming through the jungle. Good job, Hugo. And Sayid’s neck snap was crazy. He got mad skills.

So, onto the remaining two scenes. First, the group at the radio tower. The look on Ben’s face when Locke walked up was priceless. But he killed Naomi! (I’ve definitely lost track of the body count this episode.) For the first time ever in my entire life (well, in the past year and a half), I wanted Jack to listen to Ben. He DOES know what he’s talking about, at least about that barge. I have a baaaad feeling about all of this.

Finally – the most powerful scene of the episode, Charlie’s death. Even though we’ve been told a million times that he was going to die, it was just so extremely sad! The score that was playing at that moment is my favorite song of Giacchino’s, and it was also the song that played when Jack saved Charlie from his hanging back in season one. Oh, the irony. You know, Charlie really had been defying death on this island for quite while. But the most surprising part of all this was Penny! She’s one dedicated chick. I cannot wait to find out more about her and whatever her real research team is.

And thus concludes Lost: season three. As I stated earlier, I have absolutely no idea where things are going. If the Jack and Kate scene ends up in an episode in the future, I want them to stop the show right now. It’s far too depressing if they get off the island but Jack ends up like that. It doesn’t give you much to look forward to, does it? But, Jack being in the state he was shows that he’s a true “man of faith”.

I can’t believe I’m actually saying this, but the way things are going, I want them all to stay on Craphole Island forever!
  • It's been three years since this episode aired and I'm still picking my jaw up off the floor.

Like Allen Iverson, Lost's writers are the kings of making you feel certain that they're going one way and in a flash go in the complete opposite direction, leaving you dead in your tracks with nary an option but to just sit and marvel at the level of creative trickery in their employ. It's been three years since this episode aired and I'm still picking my jaw up off the floor. By the final episodes of Lost's third season it was becoming fairly easy to predict what any given episode had in store: the unexpected. We all knew that the season finale would answer a few questions, raise even more and brilliantly leave us in anticipation of the next season. But just like watching the launch of a space shuttle, that awe-inspiring spectacle of man's ingenuity, the more times you see it, the less powerful it becomes. You still know it's a beautiful sight and recognize the amount of time and energy that went into it's creation, but the awe and wonder of that first viewing have started to fade. So how to dazzle an audience already desensitized by so many great plot twists? Hit them with something so unexpected that it makes them feel like they're watching it for the first time... again!

And so, in what will go down as arguably the best cliffhanger in television history, those geniuses at the writer's table penned those famous final words that will be forever etched in my mind: "We have to go back, Kate. We Have To Go Back!!!" It was with those words that my jaw and my living room floor became good friends for the next few days... months... hell, I still haven't gotten over this one! There are very few occasions when something leaves me virtually speechless and in those rarest of moments I'm reduced to a decidedly ineloquent (some might even say vulgar) three word phrase. It's usually reserved for major events in my life that come out of nowhere and strike me with enough emotion that I just simply can't think of anything else to say. This may be the only time that a television show has elicited such a reaction. Indeed, just seconds after Jack reveals that what we have been watching are in fact flash-forwards to the present, I heard myself utter those three words that always signal the screeching halt of my brain functions: "Holy... sh*t... dude..."
  • A Jack-centric episode.

Let me just start out by saying that as a whole, I absolutely loved this episode. It was definitely a great way to end the third season. Although, the one thing that I didn't like about this episode is the fact that they killed off Charlie since he's always been one of my most favorite characters on the show. I absolutely loved the flash-forwards of Jack's life after he gets off the island. I thought that they were really great. I loved the ending of the episode. That was definitely a great way to end the third season. In closing, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost and I can't wait for the season four DVD set to come out so I can catch up on the season four episodes that I missed.
  • WOW...... I can't beleive that just happend! Just when I thought those guys at LOST couldn't do anything else to blow my mind this masterpiece of an finale comes and does just that.

FlASHFORWARD!! I really didn't get how Jack was suicidal because I thought he'd gotten over the divorce in Puket, but having a Flash to after they get rescued! Pure genius by the writers. I still can't beleive that just happend. Obviously the guy in the coffin is Sawyer which is why nobody went to his funeral. Also Kate must be pardoned for her murder charge or else she took someone else's name from the flight because it looked as if she wasn't on the run anymore (especially if she has a home phone). The question is now why is jack so messed up and was Ben right about those rescue people. Apart from the mind blowing aspect this episode was full of action and it was exactly the type of episode i've been waiting for. Sayid finally kills an other, Hurley was a hero, Tom is finally paid back for the baby snatching and Ben gets the crap kicked out of im by Jack (I was all perfect!). I was sad that Charlie died but it was an inevitable event (and wow Mikeal's eye looked sooo cool). Once again the writers at LOST have out done themsleves again and the wait for season 4 is gonna be painful but worth it!
  • It ain't really the future we were shown, it's the looking-glass(Think Desmond's visions)

One of the two main guys from Lost said in the "Answers" episode that the survivors were not in purgatory, but alive and well at some point of the space time continuum. Maybe that's the looking glass the series finale's title is talking about. The Looking Glass is a reference to a book by Lewis Carroll, the author of Alice in Wonderland. Alice, the gal from wonderland, wonders what's on the other side of the looking glass and jumps through it. The looking glass world is upside down, full of mirror and inverse images (when you expect black, you get white). Also, as wikipedia notes, there is also time running backwards. After the scene with Kate, you'd think we've seen the future, but why then, is Jack's father alive? It's an alternate time line. This season has been constantly flirting with the idea, starting with Desmond's premonitions and his little trip to the past. Desmond has been witnessing futures that never came to be (all those times Charlie was supposed to die but didn't.) I'll wager that the flash forward was like Desmond's visions: a big old what could be, but not the actual future. Isn't there a chance that the electromagnetic properties of the island also make it a special place in the space/time continuum? (This could explain Jacob as existing in another time line/ space) When the plane crashed, the survivors could have been transported into a time line in which the plane simply crashed into the ocean (which would explain why they are alive but the plane with the dead bodies was found.) On the other hand, we know we can't trust Naomi , but then again why would she lie about the plane? she seemed surprised to find the survivors. So there you have it. I predict that what started with Desmond's visions is going to take a larger and larger role in the show. What may be and what might have been are going to be pretty big themes. That's what I'm gambling on. P.S. Michael and Walt never made it back to the outside world. If they had, the would have told everyone and Naomi would not have said anything about the survivors being dead (not to mention that Charlie's band wouldn't have gotten the dead member comeback Naomi talks about.) P.P.S. A lot of people dislike how Jack looks in the "future". I actually like where they took the character. Once he left the island, he lost all meaning in his life. He was given an opportunity to reinvent himself and start a new life. By leaving the island, he turned his back on everything. Also, how can you ever go back? Have you guys seen Apocalypse Now? Think Willard wanting to jump back into action because he didn't know anything else (or Rambo if you wanna go lowbrow.)
  • I'm not one to dish out 10's EVER, but I feel like sometimes, there are episodes of television that just set the standard for everything else. This is one of those episodes.

As I mentioned in the summary, I've given maybe two 10's to episodes before, and I didn't give them easily. It's hard for a lot of episodes to symbolize perfection, mostly because there's always at least one little plotline that drags it down, or maybe some boring moments. However, Through The Looking Glass, along with a select few other television show episodes, is able to deliver with the intensity, action and mystery that the writers and directors promised, along with rebooting the show in one of the most amazing twists ever.

Through The Looking Glass focuses on a plot that was introduced a couple episodes previous: Ben and the rest of the Others are planning on raiding the survivor's camp in order to kidnap their pregnant women. However, due to Juliet turning on them, Jack and the rest of the group are able to formulate a plan to kill the Others for good. While Jack prepares this, he also plans on taking the rest of the camp to a radio tower, where they'll use Naomi's phone to call for help on her freighter. While they set up that plan, everything hinges on Charlie, who prepares to face the death that Desmond had been predicting all season. He enters the Looking Glass station underwater only to find a couple of Others who are running the station. While he attempts to disarm the jamming mechanism that is preventing Jack from calling the freighter, he also most deal with these two women who want to stop him at any cost.. Oh yeah, and Ben is furious upon hearing about the freighter and treks across the island to stop them.

I summarize all of this for people who haven't seen it (or even have seen it) because this two hour season finale never feels as long as it is. Each plot flows effortlessly into one another, and although we're given more questions as time goes on, a lot of them are wrapped up at the same time.. well, not wrapped up, but there's certainly some forward momentum, and that's good for a season that spent a majority of it wasting time doing nothing.

There are a number of incredible moments that stand out above anything else the show has done, including the entire fight between the survivors and the Others. The anguish on Jack's face as he faces the reality that Sayid, Bernard and Jin may have to die in order for them to get rescued was heart-breaking and it was cathartic for us, the audience, to watch Ben once again get the crap beaten out of him.

Through The Looking Glass isn't only an example of great television, but it shows how a show can sidestep growing stale by introducing a completely new story telling device. I always knew flashbacks would grow stale, but Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse set up the episode so we would have no idea what was going on. The flash forward was perfect, holding their cards to their chest until the final scene, where it's bookended with the promise of rescue.

And who can say enough about Charlie's final appearance (at least as a main character)? It was a great death, not over hyped or over done, but filmed in a way that still made us feel great sadness. Charlie, along with Hurley, were always great comic reliefs, and the way the previous episode, Greatest Hits, tied in with this one almost makes me see Greatest Hits as equally important to this one. And the chills I get on seeing Charlie write "Not Penny's Boat" on his hand never goes away, even after a second or third viewing.

It seems unlikely that Lost will able to one-up this finale, but the fact that a show can still provide impressive episodes like this is a testament to the show's talent. Nothing against the fourth and fifth season finales, but this one was perfect, not hinting at what the twist could be until the last few minutes. For a show that was threatening to grow stale and seemed to be close to losing people's interest, they come along with an episode like this and completely prove everybody wrong. One of the best two hours of TV I've seen, and I can't be budged on that.
  • Nothing can prepare you for this episode.

There is no amount of preperation you can do before you watch this episode. What ever you think might happen, what ever series altering twists you think might occur, let me put it to you this way; you have no idea.

This is the greatest episode of LOST ever. Period. Not only does it bring thrills, excitement, twists, action, character, and mystery, it brings everyone to an emotional peak.

Charlie's death was one of the best scenes ever. I have never been so sad to see a character go, yet so happy in the way he went. Charlie showing Demond the message and pushing away from the glass then doing the sign of the cross, is pure televison gold. It brought a tear to my eye. Is this the last we see of Charlie? I hope not.

Jack emotional breakdown and beatdown of Ben was amazing acting all round. He did what a normal human would do in his position, and that was not think, and show your anger through violence. And Jack's standoff with Locke was brilliant, with the final pay off with the castaways making their first contact with the out side world.

Then there is the final scene. This sequence stands alone as the most series altering ever. And as I said earlier, nothing can prepare you for the shock of your realization. It turns out that Jack's brilliantly written and acted flashback is actually and flashforward to him after the island. This twist actually makes you have to go back through the episode and rewatch it again. Jack's conversation with Kate means that they both get off the island. But does this less-en our interest in the castway's future; not at all. The question is no longer do they get off the island, it is now who gets off the island and how. The final scene is filled with teasing diolauge into what happened between Jack making that phone call on the island, and his meeting with Kate. What are they lying about? To whom does Kate have to go home to? Why do they have to go back? Why does Jack think that they weren't suppose to leave and Kate says that they were right in their choice? The entire episode is filled with questions as to what happened to the castaways. Why does Jack refer to his dead father in the present tense? Why does Jack say "Forgive Me" before he is about to jump off the bridge? Who is in the casket? Why is John Jocke so important to the island? And probably the biggest question of all; why is it so important that the castaways stay on the island? I guess we will just have to wait and see.

No words can fully express this episode.
  • Who would've guessed that the season finale would be THIS good?

What some people have been complaining about, lack of things happening making episodes sometimes boring, which by the way I don't agree with but still, is exactly what this episode is not.

The season finale is easily said: the most exciting two hours of television I've seen in a long time, and in my opinion the best finale of all shows this year. Now I don't like to compare, but what Heroes lacked in action in its finale, don't get me wrong I like Heroes, Lost had in such a great amount that it could've given some away and would still had been a fantastic episode.

During what I first thought were flashbacks, I was extremely confused as to when had they happened, surely it was after Jack and Sarah got divorced, and I also thought it was before Jack's father was dead, but I couldn't place when would've Jack had been an oxycodone addict who was on the verge of suicide. But Lost had to be this unexpected, not a flashback, no, a flash-forward, it's quite smart if you ask me.

All that, plus what was going on at the island, Charlie going off for a suicide mission, Jack leading the camp to the tower, the others being blown up, and the whole Locke-Walt thing was just an example of how a season should end.

Now what really made me angry is the fact that I have to wait until February for the next season after filling my head with tons of information and making me jump up and down my seat of excitement.
  • WOW!!! I'm still in shock! Although I was contaminated by some spoilers, it was surprising and amazing! Lost is and will always be the best TV show EVER! (may contain spoilers for those who haven't seen this episode)

Ok... I'll start by what I like the least... and that has to be the flash-forward... Ok, it was mind-blowing, but it leaves a bitter aftertaste... is that really what's going to happen after all that effort and suffering? Unless Desmond gets one of his flashes to tell Jack (if Jack leaves his leadership aside and wants to hear him just once), I don't see how to prevent that lame future... Anyway... I took that off my chest! Now, it was one of the best episodes ever, and this is why:

* Hurley with the van!: You have to love him! * Charlie's death: saddest thing ever (I didn’t cry with Greatest Hits… but I did here)

* Mikhail with a grenade outside the hatch after being killed –for the second time-: unbelievable hollywoodish (Although really exiting)

* Penny's communication and determination to find Desmond: surprising and the most romantic thing ever!

* Ben and John agreeing: make you want to become an ‘other’!

* Naomi a traitor: kind of expecting it.

* Jack's instinct makes you wonder how he was a surgeon...

* Sawyer killing Tom: Mh... I actually liked Tom, but Sawyer –or James now that he stopped using nicknames -gave him what he deserved.

* Walt 2 years older: lovely

* Alex meeting her mom: Come on! they've been 16 years! give us at least a hug!

* Have to wait 8 to 10 months until next season: Actually with the flash-forward and the ending of this season, I think I can survive that time to see Lost again… I’m more than satisfied!
  • A list of the TOP 12 UNANSWERED Questions....

Not only was this 2 hours long, but for once, things go the way you want them to -- except, of course, the death of one of main casts.

The flashback took a huge twist at the end. Unbelievably clever. I give the writers much props for tricking us all!

One thing that didn't make sense that if the flashbacks were indeed flash-forwards, then why was that new doctor saying something about calling Jack's dad? -- or did I hear that wrong? If so, how is Jack's dad still alive if this is a glimpse in the future?

Things that are still unanswered:

1. What is that black smoke? Why did it come face-to-face with Mr. Eko the first time and then backed away like a coward... but then the second time it came in contact with Mr. Eko, it killed him. Why does it always make Dinosaur noises? This was what killed the Pilot in the first episode and left the body on the trees.

2. Who and what is Jacob? We saw a glimpse of him when Locke was in the cabin with Ben. Can't recognize his face, but he looks to be some sort of spirit/ghost. I really wonder how they will explain this. Also, if we hadn't seen Jacob in the cabin, I would've thought he was a volcano. The way they talk about him, "I'll take him to Jacob", or "we don't want to make Jacob angry"... sounds like how the Hawaiians always refer to their volcano gods.

3. Why is everyone seeing things? Locke seeing Walt, Kate seeing the black stallion in past episodes, Jack seeing his dead father, Hurley seeing his friend from the clinic (in the episode that made you wonder if this was all a dream), Ben seeing his dead mother, etc.

4. Who is Naomi really working for? Is Ben right about her people being "bad guys"? Maybe this is true since Desmond's girl said it wasn't her people on the boat. Also, Naomi said that they found the wreckage from Oceanic 815 and that everyone on the plane died; there were no survivors... this either means everyone is currently in HELL or she is lying. I'll bet the latter.

5. Why do women who get impregnated on the island die? Is there some mystical force?

6. How do the two women that were jamming the radio frequency survive all those years down there? It is just a show, but seriously... doesn't look like there's enough room for years supplies of Dharma food. How do they have enough oxygen? Where do their garbage and bathroom wastes go?

7. That man that recruited Juliet and is Ben's right-hand man. He was the same age he is now when Ben was a kid in an episode from a few weeks ago -- how can that be? Is he an alien or does he have immortality?

8. Speaking of immortality, how the hell does Mikhail survive being fried/electrocuted between the barriers and even foamed around the mouth as he looked to be dead. Then he comes back and gets harpooned by Desmond, but still survives. What is his secret and why can't he die?

9. The stewardess of Oceanic Flight 815 was among Ben's group and seem to be quiet happy. How is this so? What did Ben do to gain their loyalty and turn against Jack and the others? But even so, looks like there are a lot of survivors from Oceanic 815 even though it crashed and broke apart in the most extreme way (I know it's a show, but still..)

10. What really happened to Michael and Walt? I doubt Ben really let them go. Remember, Michael murdered Ana Lucia and Libby. I'm not sure if the writers are done with him yet. He could be part of a big twist in the final two or three seasons of Lost.

11. Ben and his crew has information about each and every passenger of Oceanic 815. I can understand if they get most of this information from criminal records that are documented, but how do they find out so much about each passenger's personal life -- things that are not documented like Locke's obsession with stopping his dad's con attempts or Sawyer/James' killing of a man by accident. If they found out about that, then it must be documented, and if it were documented, wouldn't Sawyer/James have been a "Wanted" as a murderer? If he "Wanted" by the police, then he wouldn't have been able to get on the plane as he did so easily.

12. Who is working for Ben outside the island? When Juliet got to see clips of her sister and seeing that she was alive and healthy with her child, I wondered who is video taping that "live" video? Is someone always following her everywhere she goes? Who is working for Ben and why does he have so much power?

I'm sure I'll think of more as they come, but these are a lot of unanswered questions.
  • I'm not gonna go for the singol episode's review but a whole season misteries review...read below..and see if you are asking yourself my same questions...and if my answers could solve something...

Are all of you reviewers out of it?It is obvious that Ben and the others are REaLLY the good guys...or maybe not...but I'm pretty sure Naomi and her friends are ReAL REaL BaD.Plus i read in some reviews that you think that LOCkE iS bAD!!!??? Locke is the only one that is actually in communion with the island and I'm sure that in the fourth series they will tell us all about his adventure once he was saved by the island and saw walt.His flashback, i think, will fill in a lot of misteries in our minds, in the fourth series and I think before the writers will show us the ''bad guys'' or naomi's people....however you prefer.... They will show us first kinda like in the second series what is happening in those few minutes before the helicopters come...like showing us what the others' TEMPLE is and showing us(as i said before)what John is up to and why he needs to get ''work done''.(kinda like we saw Locke, and kate get in the hatch but in like three episodes showing all kinds of different prospectives).Well obviouslym these aren't the only answers that come up after this episode....like...who is Richard(the other that helped john)is he lower rank than ben or is he more important than they(the writers) wanted us to think?remember in the episode where we saw in the flashback john going with the others and camping with 'em?ofcourse you do...and do you remember Richard saying....''we've had enough of ben;and people are willing to CHANgE....'' that left me quite speechless...Plus we all want to know more about dharma, we want to know what the others are doing on the island...(temple?experiments?what the heck??!!)we want to know more about ''the black clowd''(why did it kill Mr.eko??).But wait...i want to say something about that...remember that the others wanted to kidnap the BaD GuYS of the tail part survivors??remember only mr.eko made it out of theyre ambush??
    Well....what if i tell you this...maybe...the others are ReALLY good guys and that they are ReALLY doing exactly what the island wants??I mean...the black cloud is obviously some kind of odd thing but it surely isnt controlled by the others...im sure its the island itself that gives it orders(or is part of the island...who knows)and saying that....The CLOuD KiLLED oNE Of THe PEoPLE ThE OThERS WaNTED To KIdNAPP iN ThE FiRST PlACE!!!I mean...if that isn't weird...what is? Probably even walt is actually the black cloud...who knows...i mean walt went away with michael...we all remember that...and we aslo know that the cloud can read into peoples thoughts and that it can take the thoughts shape...(like mr.eko brother..iemi..)so i think walt was defenetely the cloud in the scene where locke wakes up; we want to know why the heck michail is still alive after getting an arrow in the chest and how he was able to swim all the way out of the looking glass without being noticed(and if he survived the arrow, how did he swim with such a bad wound?);
    ...well...i'd llike to go on and write...but i don't want to be boring...so i leave to you the comments and please tell me if you think i'm totally nuts or if maybe i'm right about stuff... OH last thing.....Sawyer Why Did You Have To Kill Tom when he practically kept in life sayid jin and bernard???SAyID WHy DiD YoU HaVE To BReak ThAT PoOR GuYS NEcK??YoU WiLL ReGRET iT....WHeN THe REALLy BaD GuYS ComE...YoU WiLL REGReT iT!!!
    Oh by the way... awesome episode!!!
    byez!!
  • The most revealing 2 hours of LOST ever!

Perhaps I am greatly confused, but why did Charlie have to die in this episode. Once the guy exploded the grenade, it shattered the glass window to the communication room. Charlie was small enough to fit through that window and then could've swam back around and underneath the Looking Glass and into the pool area where Desmond was standing.

Now, for the end... we realize that the flashbacks were flashfowards. Jack has a miserable life upon returning to the real world. He tells Kate that they were wrong to get off the island, but she says, no, they weren't. She also says she has to get going because "he" will wonder where she is... Sawyer perhaps?

Penny tells Charlie he does not know of any Naomi, so Locke was probably right in killing her off. And how about Locke and Walter inspiring him... geez, this episode has it all.

Back to Jack and the future. The fact they get off the island and back into the real world at least FINALLY puts to bed the hypothesis' that they are in some version of purgatory or hell. There could still be some mystical element to it, however, and something to the idea that they WERE NOT supposed to be saved...then again, Kate seems to be doing just fine...guess we will just have to wait a loooong 8 months to see in season 4!
  • We've got one last shock for you, and this makes it a whole new ballgame

We'll ignore the flashes for now,, and get right back into the drama. The episode begins with the meeting of Jack and Ben. Both men have had major challenges to their leadership this season, and while Jack's is fragile, Ben's has all but run out of gas. His approach seems a bit absurd. He calls Jack out, tells them that Naomi represented a party who has interests that are very detrimental to the island, and demands that Jack give him the satellite phone, or he will order the murders of the men on the beach. This is Jack's biggest confrontation yet, and he faces up to it, even though he's clearly torn. When the shots are fired, he then proceeds to beat Ben until his knuckles are bloody.

What Jack doesn't know is how badly Ben's leadership has deteriorated. Ryan has disobeyed orders and has not killed any of them yet. This leads to one of the most joyous scenes in the episode. Juliet and Sawyer have made it back to the island, but they don't have any weapons. So who saves the day? Hurley, in the Dharma-mobile! Driving the van that he kept working all this time, he runs Ryan down like a video game pedestrian.. In quick succession, Sayid executes the second gunmen, and Tom, the sole survivor has no choice but to surrender. Sawyer then cold-bloodedly shoots him in the chest, showing that he has fallen into the darkness after killing Cooper. He will emerge from it eventually, but it's going to take a lot.

In the Looking Glass, things have reached a climax there. Mikhail clearly doubts Ben's leadership as well, but nevertheless he follows through on the orders, killing Greta, and mortally wounding Bonnie. Before he can finish the job, Desmond emerges and shoots him with a spear-gun. That should be the end of it, but it's not. Charlie then manages to get Bonnie to give him the codes for the transmitter--- and she does so by saying the codes were programmed by a musician. Now we think we know the reason Charlie had to be here. And for a split second, Charlie thinks maybe this has all been a test, and he won't have to die.. Then a transmission comes through--- it's Penelope. But before she can even see her beloved again, she let's a critical piece of information--- she didn't send the boat. Before anything else can be learned, Mikhail emerges like the messiah with a hand grenade, and blows the porthole. The station will soon flood, but when Charlie sees what's coming he doesn't hesitate, and uses his last bit of strength to send Desmond the message. I defy you to watch the scene as poor Charlie's crosses himself before drowning--- it's the most heartbreaking moment of the season.

(On a side note, what has happened to Mikhail? One would think that the hand grenade would have killed him, but one could have made the same assumption of the spear in the chest? Was he immortal? Probably not, as Ben assumes that he could kill him. Whatever the reason, it seems to be another mystery we'll never see resolved as he hasn't reappeared. Still, it wouldn't surprise me if he popped up in the last season.)

We also get a pretty moving reunion as Rousseau finally comes face to face with Alex.. They haven't seen each other for sixteen years, but they clearly have a bond, as their first act is to tie Ben up like a dog. They make it to the radio tower at last, and the message that has been playing for sixteen years and seven months is finally taking off the loop. Naomi then begins to finally receive a transmission, when suddenly she gets a knife in the back--- from Locke. Somehow, the island has told him where the radio tower is, and though he couldn't have known anything about Naomi, he doesn't hesitate in trying to kill her. (She isn't quite dead yet, but that's another story.) He then tells Jack straight up, we're not supposed to leave, which is exactly the message that Ben has been trying to tell Jack. Speaking of which, when Ben sees Locke walking, he looks stunned, as if he finally realizes John may be as important as everyone thinks. Locke holds a gun on Jack, and threatens to kill him, but for some reason, like with his father just a few days earlier, he cannot follow through. Jack makes contact with the freighter, we see signs of joy....

.... and then the episode plays it's little trick. We do one more flash with Jack, who has been degenerated in each one, driving wildly, trying to get a refill on a prescription, and stealing drugs from the hospital pharmacy. What throws us is that Jack mentions his father and speaks as if he's still alive. We still think were in the past, then... Jack calls someone to meet him at the airport. That someone is Kate. And we realize in a moment of shock that this is the future.. Then we learn that every Friday Jack goes flying from LA to the Far East (particularly Australia) each time praying for a crash. The only explanation that comes to mind: he wants to go back to the island. We can't figure out why yet, and Kate is particularly dismissive, but the episode ends on that plea.

To be perfectly honest when I first saw the last couple of minutes of this episode, I thought that the show had just jumped the shark in the biggest way possible. I thought that (like in J.J. Abrams other series Alias) that he was rewriting the rule book and it would take as well. Clearly, I didn't have the confidence in Carlton and Damon that I do now. They've managed to travel from that point to this with alacrity and upping the stake in each succeeding season, and it is still possible than this will be no better placed than I did with Chris Carter and the X-Files. But maybe they knew what they're doing.

Right now, the biggest question is who was at the funeral. The article at the paper Jack got in Part One was clearly an obituary. In the opening of the second part, Jack went to the funeral home to find nobody there, and the casket was closed. Asked if he was friend or family, he clearly says: "Neither." When he tells Kate about it, she regards it with even more disdain, leading us to believe that it was someone we've already met on the plane that they both knew. I didn't try to freeze frame the shots with the paper, so I didn't get caught p with those people who try to squeeze every single detail out of each episode, so I didn't try to answer the question. At the time I thought it was Christian Shephard, later that it was Sawyer. Everyone now knows who was in the coffin, but I'll save the surprise--- especially since I'm still not convinced that someone is dead yet.

Even knowing some of the twists and turns that are ahead doesn't change the fact that this episode is an extraordinary ending, mostly because of the remarkable acting of Matthew Fox. He runs the complete gamut of emotions in this episode, and in retrospect, his scenes in the flash forwards are astonishing acting. He looks angry and disdainful, pathetic and wrathful, and the episodes last five minutes, goes from his point of greatest elation --- the eminent rescue--- to the shell he seems to be when Kate meets with him. Terry O'Quinn and Michael Emerson get the lion's share of the acclaim, but Fox is clearly at their level, and this episode proves it.

Equally remarkable is the work of Jorge Garcia. Hurley has been feeling useless, but now he emerges as the most unlikely of heroes, up to the point of bragging that he has taken out the Others on the beach. The sad part is, this may be the best moment of Hugo's life, and in a matter of minutes (relatively speaking) he will be struck back to zero
    By the end of 'Through the Looking Glass' Ben is warning them that if this call, it will be the beginning of the end. And this episode is considering that the structure that exists. But one question has been answered--- rescue will come to the passengers of Oceanic 815. However, they probably won't be able to escape the island.
    My score: 10
  • In part 2 of LOST's third season finale Charlie dies, Locke 'has work to do', Jack and kate 'have to go back' and oh yeah ... Sayid snaps a guys neck with his legs.

After watching almost 5 seasons of LOST this remains the greatest episode the show has produced. After part 1 of the two hour show we were left with Locke in a pit being told he had 'work to do' by what seemed a two foot bigger Walt, it turned out that his work was to throw a knife in Naomi from the freighters back in attempt to stop Jack from leaving the island. For some reason Locke thought that tossing a dagger into an unarmed womens back would convince Jack that he was completley sane. Naomi was only one of the three prominent deaths that occured in the show (I won't count the people who Hurley mowed down in VW van as prominent)as Tom (aka 'guy with the fake beard') and Charlie met their match. Tom's was a bullet in the chest, while Charlie just managed to write 'not penny's boat' on his hand before drowning. We all know who the boat belonged to now but at the time it left us asking a lot of questions about what the hell Naomi was actually doing (Jack could have asked her but Locke didn't exactly give him chance). If that wasn't enough we got a look in Jacks life off the island as he became addicted to pain killers, tried to top himslef and visited Hoffs/Drawler funeral parlour after reading something very upsetting in the obituary part of a newspaper. All of this culminated in Jack finally making the phone call that rescued the ocenaic 815 survivors only for us to find that life in the real world wasn't all it's cracked up to be, when in one of the greatest twists I've ever seen on TV revealed that Jack's flash backs were in fact flash forwards and he and kate 'had to go back'.
  • The Rattlesnake in the Mailbox

After the best run of episodes on "Lost", "Through the Looking Glass" pretty much had to be absolutely phenomenal Series finale of any shows ever aired and also the Most Shocking Revelations Ever. A brilliant action/adventure epic balanced by a real care for and attention to the characters who remain the core of "Lost", "Through the Looking Glass" really feels like a top quality feature film, much like all of the other finales.

Almost all of the core characters are given a key role here, some of the dialogue, both dramatic and comedic, is absolutely excellent (although there are one or two bad lines as well), and the Jack-as-Moses stuff really does work. Charlie and Desmond get some of the meatiest stuff in the episode, and Charlie's death scene is really very well-done. Now that I've seen this episode at least five times, however, I can safely say that I don't like it as much as "Live Together, Die Alone", which was simply a superior achievement in almost every way, and fell short of this only in that it didn't have a massive game-changing shock ending which took everyone by surprised. That's not intended as a criticism of "Through the Looking Glass", but merely further praise for the simply phenomenal "Live Together, Die Alone". Also, "Through the Looking Glass" had a much better follow-up than "Live Together, Die Alone", but really in comparing the two episodes much more appeals to me in "Live Together, Die Alone".

"Through the Looking Glass" boasts perfect performances from basically the entire cast, I think that Matthew Fox gives his best performance here. A lot of people say that the flashforwards aren't interesting on their own, that they only become interesting when you find out that they're flashforwards. This might be true of the first viewing (though even then they are more enigmatic and mysterious than any other Jack-based off-island stories), but on repeat viewings I find them absolutely fascinating and iconic, though, I admit, not as great as Desmond's flashbacks in "Live Together, Die Alone". Matthew Fox's performance is a big part of my enjoyment of the flashforwards, but the coffin mystery, the dark, dark moment where Jack nearly jumps off the bridge, the one shot looking down at Jack and the coffin, and the final scene with Kate are all very memorable aspects of the episode.

On the island the story is very action/adventure based and works very well on those terms, with both the action scenes here being among the better ones on the show. Jack Bender does a great job of directing the episode and by the time you've gotten to the ending, which, let's face it, is what most people talk about in relation to the episode, you've already enjoyed some of the finest populist entertainment around, and with some amount of intelligence as well.
  • This is about as good television can get.

"Through the Looking Glass" hits Lost perfection - there's simply no doubt about that.

Many people have fantasied about the show's series finale - how it would end, what the last episode would be like. Even more people fantasied about the survivor's post-island life(if there was to be one). Who will survive?
    How will they return to their lives?
    Will any of the survivors hook up with eachother?

And so the list goes on. But one thing nobody thought about was, what if, that is not the show's ending?

Lost has been cleverly avoiding cliches since episode 1. It's not like we haven't seen similiar stories (shows, movies) before that have a plot similiar to Lost. Yet Lost, still manages to come off really unique.

And regarding the ending, it will be unique aswell. With TTLG, the show gives up it's regular formula - the flashbacks - and introduces the flashforwards.

Seeing this reveal through Jack's eyes was an easy decision for the writers - he, after all, is the "hero" of the show. It was an interesting(yet logical) decision from the writers to make his post island life rather miserable. I figured it could be because of many things:

- On the island he truly "found" himself: the hero, the doctor, the lover

- To leave the island he made a sacrifice

- Kate ended up with someone else post island(which seems rather obvious watching this episode).

The episode is like a mirror; on the island, the survivors are desperately trying to leave and when they finally find salvation they all cheer. But in the flashforwards; Jack is desperately trying to get back. The Ben / Jack interaction was just really good. It really felt as if the entire season was building up to it. I thought it was interesting that Tom turned out to be the "bad guy" and Ben the "good guy" - whereas Tom was ready to shoot 3 survivors in cold blood, Ben wasn't.

However, the happenings in the Looking Glass actually contradict that with Ben ordering Mikhail to kill Bonnie and Greta AND Charlie. This is not really him being out of character - it's just Ben being... Ben. Hands down the most complex character on the show. He's willing to do ANYTHING to protect the island(even kill his own people) but when it comes to personal differences, he's not really all that evil. Now that I have mentioned the Looking Glass, let me say that I did get quite emotional the previous episode, "Greatest Hits", but Charlie's death scene was the scene that, finally, made me cry. It was a beautiful scene. Everything was top notch: Amazing music by Michael Giacchino, outstanding performance by Dominic Monaghan and Henry Ian Cusick and perfect directing by Jack Bender.

Honestly - who could hold the tears back when Desmond and Charlie put their hands on the glass? Such an amazing moment - finally showed how strong their friendship developed during the season.

What's amazing in this episode is how the last scene, where the flashforward is revealed, puts everything in a different perspective. So right after you finished watching it - you can rewatch and feel as if you're watching a whole new episode.

All in all - this was television's finest. It's a shame that while this episode is critically acclaimed, it didn't win nearly as many awards as it deserves. But, for us, fans, this was definitely something very much like - christmas.

Kudos. 10/10, naturally.
  • I can´t believe it.

An incredible episode, the best in my opinion of all the season. First, I have to say that I really like the way that the writers show the flashbacks of Jack. Is that possible, I mean, are they alive? They leave the island, and come back home?, or is just another alucination of one of the characters?. I not sure, and I think we are not gonna know it until the new season begins. I´m happy to see that may be Walt and Michael could be back again. That Jack confess his love to Kate,and John is alive, but I have to say, that I´ve never imagined that Charlie is gonna really die. He was not my favorite character, but I feel sad for him, he was a good guy, and what is gonna do Claire and Aaron without him, who is gonna sing now...You All Everybody...???.

And what is happening, now everybody is killing everyone without feeling bad..., I mean Said, never kill in the island before, not Jim, and poor Bernard. At least Hurley do something good and rescued everyone. I can´t wait to see the new season. I think, we´re gonna like it.
  • A long-awaited BrandyGurrl review, for those of you who love mine so much. My thoughts on who was in the coffin... and many, many more.

Charlie... I haven't seen anything that heart-wrenching since Denny Duquette. Anyone who watches Grey's, you already feel me. If you don't, do yourself a favor and go get it. Best show on televison besides Lost, bar none. You'll thank me later.

Let's begin with the heartbreak. Charlie's demise was so sweetly and exceptionally written and acted. And I thought Boone's last breath was hard to watch?! Charlie was something special, boy. Once he accepted his fate, he was strong, and resolute and just ready to save the woman (and baby) that he evidently loved more than his own life. His whole I-don't-give-a-f**k attitude in the Looking Glass with those two brainwashed idiots beating the crap outta him impressed the hell out of me. True heroes are hard to come by and as far as I'm concerned, Charlie unequivocally went out in a blaze of glory.

Not only did he save Claire and everyone heading up to the radio tower, but slamming the door to save Desmond was Charlie's final heroic act. And struggling to communicate to Desmond that it wasn't Penny's boat, all amidst losing his own life--God. I've never even seen anything so beautifully selfless in my life. As the water washed over him, the smile on his face when he knew he achieved his destiny put me over the edge. Charlie never meant more to me in this show than right then. God, did I cry.

Up until the end, the smallest part of me thought maybe he'd get a reprieve, but I knew better. To casual viewers, it should be nothing short of remarkable when something or someone that seems so inconsequential winds up factoring in as a paramount piece of the puzzle. So many people thought Charlie was boring--that his stories were "fillers" but lo and behold this man turns out to be the hero that changes EVERYTHING. The entire course of everyone's fate. I wonder what you're saying now. Desmond's desperation to get to Penny on the monitor, despite every instinctual bit of logic and reason undoubtedly SCREAMING to do so would kill him right along with Charlie... that gave me chills like nothing else. Just being able to touch the great love of his life, even if only for a moment, took precedence even over his own survival. I live for moments like this.

As much as it broke my heart to see Charlie go, I'm thanking my lucky stars that Desmond's still with us. He's the single most intense, charasmatic survivor on Lost. And from millisecond ONE that we were first introduced to him, I was wishing him into a permanent cast member. LoL.

Bonnie, that b***h. Beating up our boy Charlie. God, how I wanted her to get what was coming. And get it she did.

Now, anyone who knows me knows I'm gonna start singing Jack's praises. He never fails to blow me away. In the pilot, we all think he's this sort of vanilla good guy who's just... safe. But, oh no--there's just SO much more to him than that. He has so many layers that he easily is the most enigmatic person on the show, providing the deepest back stories. Well, front stories in this case! (I'll get to that at the end.)

I've championed his cause since the beginning, thinking he deserved every recognition possible in the past 2 seasons for what he does with Jack. Ah, but this year. Give him the Emmy. Dammit, man. In fact, if he doesn't walk away with the Emmy AND the Globe I'll be pissed, along with every other TV viewer discerning enough to think it's high time his exceptional talent garners him long overdue accolades.

And you know what? Jack as an addict was as compelling as clean-as-a-whistle Jack, whose shoulders the weight of the world rests on. High or sober, he's a prince among men.

Which brings me to this selfless love he has for Kate. I cried when Jack said I love you to her. I knew it was coming because of the commercials last week, but it still hits you like a ton of bricks that here's this woman, who despite her transgressions against Jack in terms of giving herself to another man, is still loved by him as much as if she never had. It's pretty damn profound that he'd be still perfectly amenable, the second she leaves Sawyer, to accept her and love her and be her Protector. To love someone in the face of every reason they've given you not to--that's unconditional. And to save them even when they're with someone else and your heart is broken--that's true nobility.

That kiss Juliet gave Jack turned my stomach. It sickened me in the same way Kate sleeping with Sawyer did, and does. I haven't written reviews at all this season, so you guys don't know just how abhorrent it was to me that Kate slept with Sawyer. I felt heartbroken--I'm talking SOUL-SICK imagining Jack's anguish witnessing the woman we all know he loves doing this.

Not to mention my whole philosophy from the very beginning: Yeah, Kate slept with people before she got here, but as far as the men on the island are concerned she was pure because she was untouched by a single one of them. She was supposed to belong to Jack in my eyes. But being with Sawyer tainted EVERYTHING for me. Even if she ultimately ended up in Jack's arms, it just wouldn't be quite the same.

But back to Juliet kissing Jack. Not much to say about it except it seemed awkward, and contrived, and not sexy at all. Nothing compares to Jack's kiss with Kate when she was crying after seeing the horse in the jungle, and he was holding her like he could protect her from every pain in life, but her psyche just couldn't comprehend that kind of love. So she did the only thing she knows how, and ran. Oh, how deeply I identify with that. More than every other facet of any character on Lost. Wanting someone like that when you've never had it is so intense it's painful.

On to Jack's fight with Ben... and pointedly more almighty choices that had to be made by Jack. Sacrificing the few for the good of the many ripped him apart inside. If the three on the beach had really died, there's no entire way someone of Jack's caliber would have ever been able to mitigate his guilt over making that choice. He would have been 100% within his rights to go after Ben afterwards for making him have to live with the anguish of that decision. Ben's defeat--wow. All bloody, beaten down, and restrained by his own daughter he somehow still couldn't come off as pathetic. As diabolical as that mu' fu*ka is to have annihilated his entire clan the way he did, I'm riveted by him. And even before the revelation in the last moment of the episode, you just knew that even though Ben appeared to be defeated, he hadn't actually lost.

Danielle and Alex's first face-to-face, my God was it something. The only thing I would've done different was have the camera show Danielle's face right when our people first encountered Ben and Alex. I'm talking IMMEDIATELY and not after the commercial. Epecially since Danielle watched her from the brush that one time, and knew that was her daughter. I don't know, it would have just made the whole thing that much more poignant. But still, it was breathtaking.

Hurley in the workmobile! Ok, so I don't know what to call it, LoL. When he came barreling down the beach, I was like "Hell Yeeeeeeeaah!" (Well, it was a different expletive than "Hell" but you get my drift.) It was unexpected, and moving, and just perfect. To hell with Sawyer's insinuations that him being the fat boy would make him a liability if he went along to the beach. Hurley was gonna be damned if he didn't save his friends, and that was that.

When I thought Sayid, Jin, and Bernard were dead... wow. I felt heartbroken for Rose, heartbroken for Sun, and PISSED that someone like Sayid was gone without ever having had the chance to be used to his full potential on this show. We need more of Sayid. Seriously.
    Oh, how I didn't wanna see Zeek go! Ok, I know his name's Mr Friendly. I know his name's Tom. But I'm with Sawyer. I'm sticking with Zeek. I appreciate the whole "That was for taking the kid off the raft" thing, I do. But I loved his character. I couldn't even tell you why if you asked. He just grew on me. So who could've been in the coffin? From my perspective, there's only 4 possibilities: Michael, Sawyer, Ben, or Locke. Ok wait, wait! Give me a chance here, LoL.

Michael: Without sounding stereotypical, Michael is probably the one with the highest likelihood of being from, or around that neighborhood. (I live in an urban neighborhood, so I can say whatever I want.) But that's not even my primary reason. Just assessing Kate's reaction when Jack said he thought maybe she'd go to the wake, that's my main basis. Michael betrayed them all, and was hated when he left. Sawyer: Ok, we only assume Kate's referring to Sawyer when she says "He's gonna be wondering where I am." She very well could have been, and probably was. But perhaps she wasn't. Who knows what transpired between the time of rescue and her conversation with Jack at the airport? I'd be surprised if she didn't find out about Cassidy and Clementine... what with the national, if not world press coverage the story of Oceanic Flight 815's survivors would precipitate. And something tells me her little fling with Sawyer didn't exactly have the ummm... concrete foundation to withstand that. Ben: Well, yes, I'm grabbing at straws with this one. What on earth would Ben be doing being shown at that funeral parlor? But again, the comtemptuous tone in Kate's voice. Not many people would have inspired that, but Ben was one of them. Yet none of the above 3 people's deaths should have Jack so messed up that he'd be want to pitch himself off a bridge. So logic dictates I come to the last person. I'll probably end up being wrong, but it's food for thought.

Locke: Whatever ended up happening between Jack and Locke, one thing is certain. They were not supposed to leave that island. Or at least Jack wasn't. We have no idea yet what kind of collateral damage ensued as a result of Jack's choices as leader ultimately resulting in their departure. We do know this much: whatever the fallout was, it was BIG. And whoever was in that coffin factors into the equation in a profound way. Locke was the only one trying his damndest to keep them there. Whatever happened to Jack after rescue, from where I sit right now, Locke is the only one who logically would've had the power to affect Jack to want to take his life. Plus add in the fact that not one single, solitary soul showed up to the wake and there you have it. Brandy's rationale. LoL. Who knows? Ah, the delicious anticipation of more secrets to be revealed! And you bet your a*s I'll sit still like a good little girl and wait for them, too. Yup, you heard. No complaining here. When the next 3 years are over and Lost is gone, people will WISH for a series that can exhilirate the way Lost does. Except it won't ever happen.

Walt got soooo big! And his voice, wow! I'm gonna be thoroughly impressed if we find out later down the road that they taped scenes last year, before he grew bigger, that'll shed some light on his special ablilities and what went on directly after he was taken off the raft. If I know these producers, I bet my bottom dollar that they did. Locke, damn. Where do I start? So it would appear that the "Locke problem" I was so famous for griping about in my "Fire + Water" review was a misinterpretation, huh? Who knew that Jack being disenchanted with his plight on the island wouldn't even compare with the downward spiral of his life subsequent to rescue? I didn't. Evidently, in the whole scheme of things, Locke going rogue EVERY time he did was entirely warranted. It's not very often that I stand corrected, so enjoy it while you can.

I was on the edge of my seat at the end! I didn't even get it until the whole timeline bombshell was dropped. And then I had to re-watch the last 5 minutes, because then it had an entirely different context.

I have to say, Kate seemed remarkably well adjusted--even to the point of looking sympathetic for Jack's misery. Is he the only one whose life is in the toilet now? I can't wait to see!

When Evangeline Lilly said on Regis and Kelly that this year's season finale would be a huge payoff for loyal viewers of Lost, she hit the nail right on the head. With an atomic blast. Those of us who revel in every delicious suspenseful second of Lost, who appreciate every intricacy of the puzzle, who live for the thrill that every "unanswered question" brings: In the last 5 minutes of Wednesday's finale we just had the climax of our lives.

I thought the-powers-that-be would be hard pressed to ever top, or even match the spine-tingling excitement created for us in "Man of Science, Man of Faith" when we realized what we were beholding was actually the inside of the hatch. But dammit, they done did it again.

This episode without question gets a resounding 10 out of 10. Whoever doesn't agree has no real appreciation for the nuance of our show. Holla.
  • We need to go back.

Long awaited reunion of Alex and Danielle and a long awaited showdown between Jack and Ben.
    It turns out that Hurley saved the day and Sayid, Bernard, Jin, Sawyer and Juliet are all safe thanks to him. Charlie broke the code and now they can send of the signals to the world and utlimately sacreficed himself for a greater good and i sure hope that Mikhail is dead for sure.
    A long awaited showdown between John and Jack also. Anyway it turns out that it was not a flashback episode but a flash forward episode and Jack and Kate made it off the island but Jack wnats to go back because it is true...there is nothing for him out there...there is only island.
    Absolute triumph of LOST.
  • Overall, this was the best finale of Lost's history, crowned with probably the most amazing and mind boggig twist in the history of television.

When I finished watching, I was just sitting infront of my computer silently for about 5 minutes. I was puzzled. Our favourite show, Lost has done something really big. An era is finished.

I believe, and I honestly do, that this episode with a few changes could have worked as a series finale. Surely, tragic one, but it would've worked!

The main message of the episode was, that, rescue means nothing. The survivors are not "LOST" because they are on an island nobody can see, but, rather, they're lost in their life. In fact... they don't even have one waiting for them at home. With Rousseau's words... "I won't go home... I'll stay. This is my home now"

The flashforwards had a very dark and depressing taste: and, I loved it. The camera angles, perfect. Jack Bender did a real good job.

And not only in the flashesforwards, on the island scenes too. I liked how the camera panned around the radiotower like in season 1 finale with the raft - both things are the symbols of rescue, so using same camera angles... awesome idea.

The Looking Glass plot was beyond amazing. I really liked Charlie. And his death...? My god. Most emotional death on television ever. He used his last bit of energy to help his fellow survivors. Some may question his death... Yes, he could've escaped, but then, the "picture in the box" would've altered, and the rescue may have not arrived...

I'm SO GLAD that the writers didn't bring Bernard bad just to kill him - it's a cheap trick killing guest stars just for the dramatic effect(unfortunately many shows do it). Hurley, as the spoilers stated, DID play a VERY important role in the episode. He saved the day! I was waiting for that van to pop up... well, there it was.

Character wise, too, the episode was excellent. Jack following his father, Sawyer starting to get serious, Juliet openly admitting her feelings toweards Jack(that kiss was soooo Juliet's, not Jack's), and same for Kate of course... I don't really like triangles, but I've to admit: if they can keep it up like this AND at this rate, then this might just be my favourite(and only) romantic plot on television.

One of the biggest surprises was Walt. I don't blame the producers, but I've to note.... Walt's voice. LOL. That was SO not the Walt we knew. However, it was GREAT to see him. Hearing the whispers right before he appears implicate that it was definitely Jacob or the "monster" saving John.

- Who, was completetly badass. The way he downed Naomi was shocking. You don't get much of this on television(woman getting a knife in her behind infront of 10's of people).

Lastly, Ben. Michael Emerson did his BEST performance as Benjamin Linus in this episode. His conversation with Jack... priceless. Also, interesting to see how he's losing control over his own people, and how everything is falling apart for him. I think in season 4, he'll have a serious "Locke-problem".

Overall, this was the best finale of Lost's history. The writing was very strong: much stronger than in season 2 finale. It was a really good ride with Lost this year. I give this episoee a 10, and the season a 9.5. Best season - so far.
  • episode analysis

ok, first off i will not say that i am 100% correct on this analysis for i am not a writer of the show, but i do know lost very well, and i have been very accurate in predictions in the past. it was very obvious to me from the first "flash back" of this episode, or really should i call of a "flash foward" or should i go even further to call it a "fake flash foward", because, thats what it was. there are a few reasons why this is just a product of one of the minds of the characters (most likely jack). for one, there is a bizare mix of new and old characters, between the ex wife(who is pregnant if you look closely, a clear sign of someones mind wandering due to what is going on on the island), and Kate at the end(who is filmed in a very film nuir dreamlike way). jack also tells the doctor who accuses him of drinking to go ask his father, who of course, is dead. the second tell is the wake at the funeral home. this is screaming metaphor. the fact that no body is shown, and the article is never shown, it is fairly obvious that nobody died. the coffin, and empty room, is a symbol for jacks longing to go back to the island. nobody being there parallels jack being alone in his wanting to go back to the island. (the coffin in the empty room eerily resembles an island as well)well folks il have to look back at the episode to find out more. send me a message if you wanna chat about lost
  • the greatest show ever made.

I have had dreams of the things so similar to what happen to the oceanic filght 815. My god, its so damn complicated. Man its like so wierd. Its my mind compressed in on television sitcom. Make the emmys come in, the most worthy thing ever. For years ive only watch the simpsons, but LOST is the greates thing ever. If I were to expierence that, id be like Jack. How do you escape people of all sorts dying and having make new friends. And when youre online with people on a chatroom or have a friendship with lots of people, and battle struggles, and able to get out of it. You really want it to happen again, but it wont be the same. Peace and love.
  • This season finale was most excellent.

I'm finally getting around to saying how great this episode was. I watched it twice and would watch it again if I had time. When I watched it the second time I noticed at the very beginning that Jack calls Kate before he gets out of his car and walks to the bridge. Orginally, I thought we were meant to think it was a flashback until the end but with the phone call to Kate - I guess not. I think the lady in the crash with the son is Juliet's sister. I'm wondering what happened to Juliet and why Jack is so unhappy. I'm going to miss Charlie. Personally, I don't think they get saved this time and the flashfoward is just a glisp of what will happen towards the end of the series. I think the rescue ship will be exactly what Ben said it would be "the bad guys". It would be really cool if Michael and Walt are on the ship and have been held captive all this time. I don't like what they are doing to Locke - they are making him look like a crazy man. Truly the greatest show on television.
  • I'm reviewing both parts together because I can't remember what happened in which half.

Doing an "I loved" list.

*I loved the flash forward. Just putting it out there. I don't want them to keep doing them, but as a one time only deal, they were awesome! They may do one more, just to answer three questions. Who's funeral? Is Kate with Sawyer or someone else? And why does Jack keep talking about his father? Then they may return to the flashbacks, because I want to know how Libby ended up in the hospital.

*I love the whole sequence where Jin, Bernard, and Sayid got captured. If Bernard's gun didn't work, I would have felt cheated. Because he's sweet, loveable Bernard, and Jin and Sayid are kinda badass. But it was cool that Jin's didn't work, a) because it made Bernard an honerary badass and b) because Jin kept shooting! I also liked how the mission and getting rescued and getting back to Rose and the dark and the confusion were all going on and for their own reasons, neither Sayid or Bernard surrendered when Jin was taken hostage. Very excellent.

*I was very excited to see Malcolm David Kelley's name it the credits and I'm happy that Walt appeared for Locke like he used to appear for Shannon. But seriously, he can never show up again, except in another flash forward perhaps. Puberty has hit that kid like a stampede of rhino! So, yay for one last, final visit from Walt!

*Who else really just enjoyed Charlie tormenting the women who captured him? Seriously, you just know he read O'Henry's "The Randsom of Red Chief" when he was a school boy or something. That was seriously amusing.

*I have been waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting for Danielle and Alex to have their reunion. It's about freakin' time! I can't wait to see how that all develops!

*The Sawyer and Juliet scenes. Now they are a match made in heaven if this show ever had one besides Shannon and Sayid.

*Ben's people are all slowly turning on him. Tee hee.

*Jack told Kate he loves her. Aww.

*No one wanted Hurlry's help and he showed them all! Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Anytime I have ever not liked Sawyer has all been forever forgiven due to two lines. "That's for taking the kid off the raft" and "I didn't believe him." All hail the mighty Southerner!

*Good Vibrations being the code was awesome

*Jack finally said it! "You're not keeping me on this island anymore!" Thank the Lord someone finally called Locke on what he was doing. If he wants to stay himself, he can. But no one has the right to force anyone else to. That's kidnapping.

*If Charlie had to die, I couldn't have asked for it to happen in a better, more beautiful way. He saved Desmond, the man who saved him over and over again, the man who was willing to die for him. He gave Desmond the message to try and save them all. He accepted death beautifully. I love you Charlie.

Can it be January already please?
  • The Half-way Mark.

This finale marks the half way point of my favorite show in many, many years. This was in my opinion one of the most exciting and controversial episodes of Lost. Like the previous two finales, the fate of the island inhabitants is uncertain. Unlike the previous two finales, the entire scope has expanded.
    Lost is never short on action, and there is plenty of it here. A rescue plan is put into place, and power shifts from one group to the other and back again. As usual, Ben’s motives are shifty and his loyalties questionable. The two who do surprise me are Hurley, for saving the day, and Sawyer for his hostage-taking protocol. Sawyer does deliver my favorite line though, “Stay in the bus Hero”.
    Lost has always taken risks, and this year is certainly no exception. You can’t talk about the finale without mentioning the ‘game-changer’. At first, I didn’t know how to feel about this. It has taken me more than a week to collect my thoughts enough to review it. The flash-forwards open up several possibilities for the shows direction, and one can only trust that TPTB know what they are doing. The second half of this series will begin with a brand new perspective, I believe we will look back and marvel at what a wonderful idea this was.
  • Absolutely stunning: a mind-blowing, game-changing finale

Absolutely stunning: a mind-blowing, game-changing finale that's become my favourite episode of LOST. "Through The Looking Glass" had everything - great moments of drama - Jack's almost suicide and Jin's touching goodbye to his wife; some moments of humour - Hurley and the Van and his message to the Others; some moments of sadness - Charlie's Death; and moments of intensely unbearable suspense - Ben's ultimatum for Jack. It was an action-packed finale with stellar writing, directing, editing, and an amazing performance by Matthew Fox. The "Snake In The Mailbox" was the biggest WTF??? moment this show has delivered and I loved it.

Quite simply, this was not only the best Season Finale I've ever seen, it was the best episode of television I've ever seen - topping even the TV near-masterpieces of Season 3 that were "Flashes Before Your Eyes", "The Man From Tallahassee", "The Brig", and "Greatest Hits"
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8