Lost

Walkabout

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 13, 2004 on ABC

Episode Fan Reviews page 3 of 4

• The first episode that made me cry with happiness and sorrow for Locke. MY STAR RATING: **** out of **** (CONTAINS MINIMAL SPOILERS)

MY STAR RATING: **** out of ****

This episode will get you hooked. It blows away Tabula Rasa and maybe even the pilot. Well, it blows you away more on character development atleast. The acting in this episode is great and we finally find out what is up with the strange character, Locke.

We find out the secret that he tells to Walt in walkabout. We see the monster yet again. We see more of the others on the island.

This is a episode full of exploding eye candy and will keep you beggin for more. It will make you love Locke! This show is ona roll and will continue to be.

The last scene will leave you in tears.

• This episode is the reason why I started watching LOST. I was almost hooked from the Pilot Episode with the Monster, Polar Bears, Distress Signals from the Island which are 16 years old, and a great cast. But this episode is the reason why I LOVE LOST!!

This episode is the best episode of LOST so far. The Beginning and End sequences are absolutely brilliant. This is the first time I have seen in a TV series which ended the episode where the beginning left off.

I was hooked and a fan of the Character "Locke" right away. The scene in which got the best of my attention was the mysterious spotlight on Locke. When Sawyer and Hurley are fighting, and when Sawyer sits down and says; "And how are we going to find this sustenance." Then VUUEEEE Locke's knife hits the seat right where he is.

The first speech Locke gives is brilliant.

"We Hunt..."

And the Character of Locke is so great!

And the Ending was absolutly was the best Shocking moments in TV history to date.
  • Don't tell me what I can or can't do!

Simply put, this is THE BEST episode of Season 1 of Lost.

This episodes reveals the truth and delves into the dark past of one of the most important characters on Lost. Ever since the first episode, John Locke was the creepy guy who sat alone and didn't talk to anyone. But this episode shows us that he is not who we think he is. With the flashbacks of his past, we see that he is picked on at work, desperately isolated, and talks to a a phone sex operator and wants her to go with him to a Walkabout in Australia.

Back on the island, the smell of the dead bodies are attracting wild boars to the survivors' beach encampment so Jack decides to burn all of them in the fuselage. But that's not their only concern - they just ran out of food. Luckily for them, Locke finds his luggage and reveals to everyone that he carries an odd assortment of knives with him at all times. So he goes boar-hunting with the help with Michael and Kate. After struggling to catch a boar after a failed attempt that ended with Michael getting hurt, Locke is finally able to bring one back for dinner.

That night as the dead bodies are burned, Locke has another flashback to just before the Walkabout and shows us one of the most shocking secrets about him. Someone in an office is telling Locke that he can't go on the Walkabout because of his condition, Locke says he's dealt with it for four years and it hasn't stopped him from doing anything he wants to. The camera pans out and it's revealed that Locke is in a wheelchair.

"A miracle has happened on this island"
    That miracle is this episode.
  • Locke scores bigtime with one of my favourite episodes.

With episode number 4 entitle "Walkabout" it really is the first episode where all the characters are cool with eachother and used to eachother. It also really is the first episode where we really start to learn who Locke is.

Before this episode Locke was the weird guy who sat out in the rain. What with him not saying anything to anyone (except Walt) and the first thing he says to all the other castaways is "It's boar." From that moment on you knew he ould be the weird guy, but also mad cool.

Even when he's packing his knives he stays iselated from everyone elso, until the truly need his help. Locke's flashback in this episode was my second favourite (my favourite being his second flashback). He acts so cool and wise on the Island, but in his flashback he's no better then the average person. Locke being the only one brave enough to face the monster, i guess he really does think it's all fate.

Lock- This is, this is my destiny, I'm suppose to do this damnit! Don't Tell Me What I Can't Do! Don't Tell Me What I Can't...

LOST
  • great episode

during this episode the survivors are still reeling from the crash. there is not a lot of guideance. the viewer eventually finds out that john locke was wheel chair bound before the crash. a mystery that has still not been solved. the fact that jack knows the only way to dispose of the dead bodies is to burn the remains, catches a few survivors by suprise. but eveyone eventually agrees.
  • Charlie: "What? Fishing? My grand-dad used to take me out, taught me everything he knows. Everything he knew, he's dead now, god rest his soul. Yeah, I'm like a... I'm a fishing fiend! I mean England's an island so I just throw it in and... fish."

One of the best episodes of season 1, and of the entire series. The survivors come to the harsh reality that: a. they are out of food, and b. they have to find some way to dispose of the bodies in the fuselage before the boar eat them. It is then that Locke reveals he is not what he seems to be. He opens his suitcase in front of everyone to reveal a dozen some-odd knives, and goes on a rant about boars and how to catch one. Locke is determined to go into the jungle and catch a boar, but he'll need help, so Kate and Michael volunteer to go with him.

All the while, we see a Locke flashback every now and then. It's revealed that he's picked on at work, and seems a bit delusional. And we also find out he talks to a phone sex operator named Helen, and he wants her to go to Austrailia with him, to go on a walkabout: a dangerous trek into the jungle.

Back in real time, Michael is attacked by a boar, so Kate has to take him back to camp. Locke is out on his own now, and has a bit of a shock in store: he comes face-to-face with the island's "monster"! A look of wonder comes across his face, but the audience doesn't get to see the "monster."

At the main camp, Charlie enlists Hurley's help, as he tries to catch a fish for Shannon (hey, she's the island's hottie, I'd catch fish for her anyday). Jack goes to sit with Rose, who has isolated herself from everyone else. Eventually, she tells him her belief that her husband, who was in the tail section of the plane, is not dead. Of course, everyone knows no one in the tail section could have made it. Jack turns around, ready to take Rose back to the camp, when he sees a man in a suit standing in the bushes. As quickly as he appears, he disappears. Kate comes over to Jack to tell him that Locke is gone. Jack looks off into the jungle and again sees the man in the suit. Jack runs into the jungle, chasing him, only to run into Locke, dragging a big boar behind him.

That night, the fuselage and all the dead are burned. Locke flashes back to Austrailia, right before the walkabout. A man behind a desk tells him he is not allowed to go because of his condition. Locke argues with him, and the camera pans to reveal Locke is in a wheelchair. "Don't ever tell me what I can't do, ever!!" Locke yells at the man. It the flashes back to right after the plane crash, on the beach. Locke looks down at his feet and realizes he can walk again, he doesn't need the wheelchair. It's nothing short of a miracle.

I apologize for the length of the review, but this episode is just breath-taking. After this, Locke remained my favorite character, until season 2, and he's still one of my favorites. That wheelchair-reveal still makes the hairs on my neck stand up. This is must-see tv, here. Terry O'Quinn does some incredible acting here. The music for the show is just as great. And that man in the suit... what a Twilight Zone moment for the show. In a rare turn, it is a question that is answered almost immediatly, in the next episode.
  • Wow, what a great episode!

I was very pleased with how they did this episode. I really like the character John Locke. I don’t know how many of the people on the island were lucky enough to find their luggage, but lucky enough for Locke (and the rest of the castaways for that matter) he did find his. We learn at the end why it is he is always concerned when he falls. The crash helped him regain the use of his legs. The island is fulfilling a dream of his, to interact with nature and hunt. We did learn that Shannon is somewhat of a user of people. She used her good looks and charm to get Charlie to win a bet that she had with Boone. She has really not contributed anything since arriving on the island. As each episode past people are trying to give more and more responsibility to Jack and he is very quick to reject it. He acts like he doesn’t know why people are looking to him for answers or direction but he has to know. He is a doctor he isn’t that stupid. Along with Locke Rose also has a lot of faith in the island. As we knew from the first episode he husband was in the bathroom at the time of the accident and while everyone is quick to believe he is dead she still has faith that he is alive I am very interested to see how that plays out. Locke really feels like he belongs there. He is a character that I hope they spend some time developing because I like him.
  • I'm John, John Locke.

Another excellent episode, this one was about the mysterious Mr Locke.

His flashbacks weren’t as interesting as Kate’s but they still managed to impress me and give me a view into Locke’s character, and damn it was a ride.

So the island habitants are running out of food, and some wild pigs are coming to eat the dead bodies so they have to burn them.

Michael doesn’t seem to like this mysterious guy named Locke who has a bag filled with knifes. Locke says that they have to haunt and he’s going into the jungle, Michael and Kate are going with him while Michael leaves his son Walt with Sun.

Meanwhile others like Shannon (the super b!tch) is told by her brother Boone to find some food for her own, instead she asks Charlie to catch some fish who in his turn asks Hurley to catch some fish. Shannon used them and then she ends up with the fish and without knowing what to do with it, she and Sawyer are really nerve-wrecking.

Meanwhile Rose, the woman who was saved by Jack is being on her own and not taking care of herself. Everyone wants Jack to do something about the crash and the dead people but he’s tired of doing everything, he does go to Rose and comforts her and tells her about the bodies. Rose says that her husband Bernard is still alive somewhere.

Anyway, Kate, Michael and Locke go into the jungle. They are attacked and Locke falls down and Michael is hurt. Locke follows the beast into the jungle while Kate tries to use the machine that Sayid made for her, ellas she lets it fall and it breaks. Also she sees the big monster coming into Locke’s direction, it sees him but nothing else happens.

Soon we discover more about this mysterious bald guy. He had a woman who he met on the phones, and he was going to Australia for a trip but was refused because he was in a bad condition, he couldn’t walk.

When he was send back to Sidney is when the plain crashed.

The episode was excellent, added more mystery to Locke and it was pretty how Claire said goodbye to the ones who didn’t survived the crash.
  • great episode. we delve into Locke's background

another character development episode. we don't learn that Locke was disabled until near the end when he's trying to go on the Austrialian outback spiritual ride. After the crash, he is able to walk again and goes hunting. A bit disappointed that they don't show the monster. Not quite sure if Locke actually killed the boar or if the monster did. Also wished to know if he attacked the monster or if the monster was already filled that he didn't bother with Locke and just left the body like how he left the airplane pilot. The dead boar kind of looked like the dead pilot.
  • Lost the story of around 58 survivors of a plane crash focusing around about 14 main characters of completely different backgrounds

The best episode of the series so far as the survivors of the plane crash are forced to hunt for food and the some of the mysteries surrounding the carather locke are revealed and Jake starts hilusinating (or is he). The episods leave you with more to think about about the character of locke that when the episode started and it leave you in mystorie about the mential condition of Jake or what dangers are out there.
  • One of LOST Season 1\'s epecially brilliant episodes.

The creators of the show implemented a very exciting, mysterious and emotional picture on John Locke.

All the emotion, mystery comes to a particularly moving finale which sets an exciting course for John Locke.

Establishing a positive connection between Locke and the audience was done so with great finesse and solid writing.

Walt\'s \"He said a miracle happened on this island\" from a few episodes back is emphasized as brilliant foreshadowing and another one of the show\'s trademark teases.
  • What's with Locke?

So we learn on this episode that John Locke was the one that had the wheelchair.. in fact, he did for 4 years.. somehow or someway once the plane crashed John Locke was perfect again.. his leg was fine and he was running around helping people and hunting boars.
    Our beloved Sawyer was the one that had to find out almost the hard way how they were going to eat, with Locke throwing a knife at the seat next to him..
    So did he get all of those knives of his into the plane? I wish i knew.. and what was up with that call that he received? "Is this line secure?" Why would a man who is in wheelchair and works for a box company need to talk to someone in a line that was secure?
    I got my eye on Locke, he is a really weird guy..
  • Amazing.

Walkabout gives an insight into John Locke who has been through something tremendous... Seeing Locke at 1st gives you a bad feel then you see him in this and see that he is really nice so something bad must of happen before the crash and after the flashback or he is just happy to be walking he doesnt really care if people thinks he's crazy. This is a great ep. i love it alot.
  • Walkabout gives an insight into John Locke who has been through something tremendous...

This episode continues the approach the series has taken in its previous episodes and takes a closer look into one of the survivors: John Locke.

We see plenty of interesting flashbacks from Locke's life before the plain crash. Who he is, what he does and why he was in the plane. And the biggest revelation comes last - just before the final fade out. To john Locke the plain crash brought a very positive surprise!

As we take a look into Locke's past we also have to stay focused on the present day situation on the island. This episode brings up the problem of getting more food. While some are gathering food others are organising a memorial service for the dead and finding a way to get a rid of the bodies.
  • Just who is John Locke, anyway?

Looking back, I realize I propably saw the original airing of this episode, though back then I wasn\'t as obsessed as I am now. However, I distinctly remember deciding to start watching Lost more often after my dad had me watch this durring the secound airing durring the summer. Anyway, I fell in love due to this episode. Locke was instantly my favorite.

Although my love for different charactors has changed (Locke is pretty low on my list now, and Charlie, who was the lowest is now my absolute favorie) This remains as one of the favorite episodes. You can\'t not feel for the truely demented, omnious, yet lovable Locke, at least not durring this episode. It is truely a must-see for an LOST veiwer.
  • Locke Centric

Into the Bald!

I loved this episode......it had many great reveals: Locke was a paraplegic and in a wheelchair with no action below the waist, he has a case full of knives and he is the first survivor to get a good look at the monster.

Everyone is starving and they need food....in comes Mr Locke with his bright idea "We hunt".

Micheal who wants to prove something to his son, volunteers to go on the hunt with Kate, as always tagging along, gets injured. Locke with something to prove now that he can walk by the miracle of the island decides to find and kill the boar himself.

Overall, brillaint episode.......packed with emotion and adventure.
  • Lockes past is pretty strange innit?

This was a brilliant episode of lost. Seeing the ads for it at the end of the one before when the knife suddenly flies into the seat jack's sat on is freaky. but when you see locke it all makes more sense. i thought before this part of the series that locke would remain a boring business man/outsider from the rest of the group. He sort of is an outsider from the rest of the group still and that's what i like about him. He just suddenly appears all over the place and he always has an answer. i think that his character proves quite vital to everyone else in the end.
  • Probably the best indicator of what this show would be like after the pilot. Spoilers abound.

I had trouble deciding what to rate this episode. When I first saw this episode (thankfully unspoiled), I originally gave it an eight. Of the episodes Lost made, this one probably got the most discussion aside from the Pilot. This is due to the surprise twist, revealing that Locke was in a wheelchair before the flight. I definitely thought Locke’s back story was excellent, but there were other elements that didn’t please me to that level. However, after rewatching it several times and hearing the DVD commentary (if you don’t have the season 1 DVD, pick it up), I have come to appreciate the episode on a technical level, both in the script and production, so much as to upgrade my original rating.

Terry O’Quinn, as Locke, is one of Lost’s most valuable assets. Up to this point Locke was the most mysterious of the castaways, but it was clear that he had some connection to the island. Hurley, as the voice of the audience, asks “Who is this guy?” It is a question that has intrigued the audience and the delivery lived up to that. We learn about Locke at a pivotal point in his story, as he decides to finally integrate himself in the tribe.

The first problem that allows Locke to step up comes when wild boars invade the camp because of the smell of the rotting corpses. Like last episode, how to deal with the bodies is another step in their shift into island life. Nothing was done about the bodies because they assumed a rescue boat would arrive and take care of that. Now they have corpses cooking in the sun for several days, upsetting the survivors as well as attracting wildlife. Jack knows that the bodies must be burned so as not to attract animals to dug graves (interestingly, no other person who has died has been burned). His attitude is rather callous and offends the spiritual Sayid and Claire, but he doesn’t protest a memorial service for those who died. Knowing what I know, Jack’s behavior isn’t a surprise, but it does raise questions for those who don’t know why he would act this way.

We must remember that only four days have passed since the crash, so surviving is top priority. Their second dilemma comes as their food dwindles to a bag of airplane peanuts and those certainly won’t stay fresh in a tropical environment with no refrigeration. Now Locke has the opportunity to integrate himself into the group. He can solve both food problems and the boars in one fell swoop. Before the crash, Locke lived a life of fantasies and adventures, and now all the information he’s collected about survival can be put to good use.

Claire’s efforts to find information on the literally lost castaways drops a hint about Sayid’s past and his reason for wanting to get off the island. This is the first instance of seeing the soft side of Sayid, which often clashes with the tough Republican Guard Sayid. Some have criticized the producers decision to add scenes to episodes afterward, saying it only adds to the belief that they’re making it up as they go along, but the moment of character development helps and that is what Lost is about.

Claire’s search and preparation of the memorial service also ties into her personal beliefs. As we learn later, Claire is very spiritual, often more towards new age spirituality and this episode helps establish that fact about her character.

Michael’s behavior is consistent for someone who just became a father. We wouldn’t buy it if he suddenly became a good father overnight. He wants to gain Locke’s favor, thereby gaining his son’s, but leaving him with the woman he saw partially naked and as far as he knows, unable to speak English, is a questionable parenting choice. This interaction does show us how resourceful Sun is, creating a toothbrush from some plants.

Shannon and Boone fight again, where once again she’s told she’s useless. Boone challenges her to catch a fish, but what she does is use Charlie’s crush on her (which does throw off the vibes he has towards Claire) to get what she wants. And she thinks she did it. Obviously since it is only night 5 by the end of the episode, the characters are still being established so the arcs will work.

Now that the Marshal has died, Jack is now helping Rose, who has been quiet since she was revived in “Pilot, Part 1”. Her thoughts are on her husband, but unlike Jack, she has faith that her husband is still alive. She is very similar to Locke in this respect.

What really shakes Jack is the odd apparition. It has been five days at this point, and the writers are certainly conscious that this leadership has been taking a toll on Jack, as it will be explored in Jack’s flashbacks.

“Don’t tell me what I can’t do!” It has become an ongoing theme for Lost. It really emphasizes the frustration Locke feels in the wheelchair. Locke’s life before the flight was sad, like a contemporary Willy Loman. He was a loser, deceiving himself, being picked on by bullies at work and having his capability questioned. He had dreams of adventure and destiny, but reality kept him down. But on the island, it all changed. He is healed. It suddenly is very clear why Locke has so much invested in the island.

This is the first time a castaway has had direct contact with the monster without it leading in death. Of course this must’ve been difficult to stage. It’s too early to reveal the monster like just yet. One thing worth noting is that Terry O’Quinn was told that the monster was “the most beautiful thing [he’d] ever seen”. That explanation is awfully vague, as beauty differs. What was it that Locke found beautiful? Why did it spare Locke whereas it killed the pilot? It’s safe to assume that the monster killed the boar for Locke, but like his former disability, he isn’t likely to be sharing what happened with anyone else.

The script is a large reason why this episode is so highly praised among fans. This is thanks to writer David Fury, who had proved himself on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. There are so many things you pick up in the writing that were foretelling of the twist, but we never noticed them because Bender, Fury and O’Quinn thankfully underplay them. Locke was only seen sitting or lying down in the flashbacks. When Randy teases him about going on the Walkabout, we assume he’s doing it because it would be out of Locke’s element, not because he was disabled; Randy even emphasizes the phrase “on foot”. Later in the scene, Locke references a man without legs who was able to climb Everest. When he’s talking to “Helen”, there is a machine by the bed, which the commentary revealed was a device used to stimulate the muscles in his legs.

This revelation, like many on Lost, only brings up more questions, the obvious ones being how Locke was able to walk again and what caused him to be paralyzed initially. He could be in that wheelchair for a multitude of reasons, but they don\'t have time to detail. What is it about the island that reversed that cause? Such a shocking moment made some to declare this as the defining moment of the season for Lost and all of primetime. It is probably the most indicative episode of what Lost would become aside from the pilot. The Futon Critic dubbed Walkabout as the best television episode of 2004 and although I disagree, it is clear why some people believe that.
  • Seriously, this episode summarizes the best aspects of the show.

In this episode, we learn something rather incredible about the mysterious man known only as "Locke".

And it's that secret that epitomizes why this show is great. It's unexpected, supernatural, but also very down to earth and interesting, and builds in a way that benefits and ties into the show's long running mythology and the short term needs of a good, self contained story in a single episode.

Locke has since gone on to become my all time favorite character of the show, for his vulnerability, his mysteriousness, his resourcefullness, never say die attitude, and all around likeability.
  • A Locke episode [SPOILERS]

One again I love this series. Locke is one of the coolest characters because he comes from such a sad past. The whole episode you see him in his flashbacks being put down by other people and then at the very end of the episode you see that he was in a wheelchair. That blew me away. I love this show.
  • Best Television Episode of 2004 (the futoncritic.com).

No one says it better than one of the best critics in the game. So here is their review (from 'The Best TV Episodes of 2004):

No 1. "lost: walkabout"

Just a flat out flawless piece of writing, directing and acting as the backstory of the mysterious Locke (a wonderful Terry O'Quinn) is revealed. I don't know anyone who saw the closing twist coming and - wow - what a fantastic twist it was. Nothing is more exciting as a TV viewer than being genuinely surprised and "Lost" does that (and more) on a regular basis.
  • 'Walkabout' helps viewer walk again.

Anyone who reads thefuselage.com, Lost’s site for interacting with the creators will know that Terry O’Quinn regularly replies to messages from his fans (he posts as ‘oquinn’). This one says it all about the episode, the show and the man:

‘How Walkabout affected my family deeply’ posted at , 10/14/05)

Mr. O’Quinn, last week, my brother watched Walkabout for the first time on DVD. The next day, he walked 624 feet. Not a big deal right?

The thing is that he’s paralyzed on his right side. You see, back in late 1998, at the age of 4, he was involved in a serious wreck that left him with a C-1 complete spinal cord injury. He was paralyzed from the neck down. During the month immediately following his injury, he nearly died many times. He went into cardiac arrest four times.

Over the course of the next months and years, he regained the ability to use his left side, breathe on his own during the day, eat, and feel everything on his body. During the past few years, he’s even been able to walk up to 200 feet with the aid of a therapist and a walker.

Last week, my brother saw Walkabout for the first time. It tore him apart emotionally. He’s coming up on his twelfth birthday now and has had problems at school lately, the same sort of pre-teenager angst that you probably know about and remember. It’s hard being bound to a wheelchair at any time, but especially as a child. Anyway, when he saw Locke roll his wheelchair out from behind the desk, he started tearing up. But when he saw the final shot with the wheelchair and the blazing fire with the victorious music, he lost it completely. He started completely bawling. However, he took an oath that he too would no longer need his wheelchair either.

The day after watching Walkabout, my brother shocked his therapist and my mother when he more than tripled his previous record of 200 feet by going 624 feet in his walker. It was the best he had ever walked. But you want to know the truly miraculous thing Mr. O’Quinn? During the investigation into the wreck that caused my brother’s injury, the investigators noted that the farthest debris had flown from the site of impact was 620 feet. My brother finally walked away from the wreck last week with room to spare.

Sir, I don’t know you and I’m sure I never will. However, I have to give you and all of the people that helped put Walkabout together credit for being a turning point in my brother’s life. There’s been a noticeable change in him since last week. He has more energy and is more confident. I know and he knows that he will walk as you and I do one day. As cheesy as it may sound, we will look back to the time he saw Walkabout as what propelled him to full recovery. And for that sir, I am truly grateful.

Whoops, I guess I need a question somewhere in here. When you were in the process of filming Walkabout, did you ever expect that it would have the impact that it did on so many people?

Re: How Walkabout affected my family deeply

Dear ffhc,
    I had no idea of the effect any of our work would have, nor of the number of people that would eventually enjoy our show. I do know that inspiration can come from anywhere at any time and that lives can always be changed no matter the length or depth of the previous course. Your brother's story affected me deeply and I thank you for sharing it with me. It must be very difficult for a family to see a fellow so young enduring such pain and disappointment. At the same time it must be extraodinarily difficult for him to feel the weight of all that wanting; the pain and the desire of his friends and family...........their need to see him whole again.
    I hope that his progress continues and that he continues to find inspiration wherever it may happen to appear. There a lots of lessons in nature...............and there are angels among us. Please give him my best regards and tell him, if you will, that John Locke would be proud to know he gave inspiration to a boy who needed it.
    And thank you for the inspiration you've given me.

Terry O'Quinn
  • Expands the parameters of what TV drama is capable of (offering us something far better than moderm day cinema, especially in terms of plot and character development).

Surely the best episode in the series, and a breaththough installment in moden tv drama, presenting an indepth, charecter based story which has a crucial impact on thenarrative development of the series. Fortunately the metaphysical elements steer clear of pat mytsicism, instead focsing on very real human drama and the struggles inherent in such journeys (O'Quinn is a revelation in this cpacity). Just enthrawling television, and the springboard to 'Lost's' greatness as a series.
  • Surely one of the greatest television episodes ever made.

This was the episode that catapulted Lost from being a good series to a great one, with a closing scene that must go down as one of the best in the history of television. Terry O'Quinn is unforgetable, as is David Fury's teleplay, making Locke the most compelling character on the island.
  • School of Locke

Mr Mysterious gets an episode all to himself and what an episode it is! John Locke, who hadn't done much before this episode, suddenly becomes one of the most intriguing characters on the island in Walkabout, a powerful and dramatic hour which is easily one of the best episodes of the season.

We see flashbacks of Locke's last few days before landing on the island. He works in a boring office job, is bullied by his work colleagues, is deeply in love with a woman he calls on a chat line and is planning a trip to Australia.

Locke evolves so much in this episode. Unlike Kate's flashbacks in Tabula Rasa, we end up genuinely caring for Locke and sympathizing with his story. I first imagined Locke as somebody extremely important with a very powerful job and a big reputation. How wrong I was. He is a lonely man who plays board games on his lunch break. He has fallen for a woman he talks to on a phone sex hotline. And he is in a wheelchair. I was expecting the twist right from the beginning of the episode but I was still somehow shocked. The miracle he told Walt about was that he regained the use of his legs when he woke up on the island. It adds another layer of mystery to this, obviously supernatural, island.

The island storyline is also exciting. The opening moments, where the sleeping survivors see wild boars eating the corpses in the crashed plane, is extremely tense. Here the writers add another animal to the bizarre zoo they're creating on Lost.

The character development was also perfect in this episode. Sun had to look after Walt whilst Vincent went away and the scenes between the two very different people were hilarious, in particular Walt's response to what she said to him in her native language, "uh, yeah, whatever". You can see that Jack is struggling being the leader and it's understandable. His scenes with Rose were heartbreaking and L. Scott Caldwell shows more talent than some of the regulars in a role which was underused throughout the first season. Charlie and Hurley trying to catch fish was one of the many funny moments in the episode, which also included more Boone/Shannon squabbling, which was one of Walkabout's highlights.

Walkabout is much better than the Kate-centric Tabula Rasa and is one of the standout's of season one.
  • So far, this has been my favorite episode of Lost. So incredibly moving.

This episode made me both David Fury and Terry O'Quinn's bitch. Stunning ending.

My brother is a quadriplegic and the one thing I wish in life is for him to become better. To be able to walk again. This episode gave me a little bit of hope that yes, he will be able to walk again. To do all of the things that other boys do at his age. To live his life normally.

When Locke yelled at "Don't talk to me about fair!" I thought that was perfect. People complain about the disabled gobbling up money and privileged parking spaces, saying that it just isn't fair to them, so his dialogue was very realistic.

The best part though was the shot of the wheelchair being burned along with the fuselage and everything else. That's my brother's hope. To be able to just throw away all remnants of his disability.

Since this episode first aired, my brother has been able to walk over 400 feet in a walker. Miracles do happen.

Strengths
    -Opening flashback with Locke wiggling his toes in astonishment.
    -Great scenes between Jack and Rose.
    -Hilarious bit with Hurley and Charlie fishing.
    -Locke's flashback scenes. Great exchange between him and Randy in the break room.
    -Spectacular music. Best music of the series in this episode.
    -Felt so sad for Locke when it was revealed that Helen was just some woman he had met on a phone line. Great acting by Terry O'Quinn.
    -Locke being able to see the monster firsthand.
    -Loved Shannon's dialogue in this episode.
    -Perfect last scene and flashback. Perfect music along with it.
  • We learn about Locke in this episode.

I think Locke is a little strange and creepy, but he's very nice. And I can't believe he started to walk again. I wonder how he got into the wheelchair in the first place. And he saw the creature, but lied about it. Why? What is this creature? Man, this show is soooo nerve-wracking lol. But it's good.
  • Information time.

This episode was fairly good. It starts off by scaring us at the beginning but teaches us that there are boars on the island.

It's starting to sink in that they might need to be here for a long time but that it's ok because they have substance.

We learn more about Locke who is turning out to be a very interesting character.
  • The first part of the backstory to my favorite character, John Locke, is revealed. And it's a doozy!

Of the multiple characters on the island, John Locke is the most cryptic. He says very little, but deep down he knows there is a reason everyone survived the crash.

This episode is the first to deal with Locke\'s backstory. He appears to be a lonely man who has a boring job in a box factory and who spends his nights talking with phone sex operators. He doesn\'t at all fit the profile of the tough hunter he has become on the island.

What is revealed at the end of this episode is such a surprise that it left my mouth wide open. It becomes a major point of the whole first season.

Overall, this is easily the best LOST episode to air so far.
  • Locke develops into one of the best characters on the island.

I loved this episode because it focused on Locke. All of the twists and turns regarding his past were incredible. I love how he always says "Don't tell me what I can't do". He is such a determined man who believes that you can do anything you want to.

When he showed everyone his knives, I literally jumped out of my seat because I was so happy. He is developing into one of the best characters. He is mysterious because of his past. Where did he get the knives? How does he know so much about the boars and hunting? Plus he is a badass.

He and Jack are definitely the two most important characters on the island. Followed closely by Kate and Sayid. They are the ones that are going to lead this group to survival.
1 2 3 4