Lost

Walkabout

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 13, 2004 on ABC

Episode Fan Reviews page 4 of 4

• This episode masterfully and deeply describes just what kind of person John Locke is in just 40 minutes. Really something special.

This is one of the most beautiful episodes of any show. I love the theme, I love how they explain Locke so well after they cast a ominous shadow about him in the first few episodes.

Locke is awesome! and this episode is awe-inspiring!
    I also LOVE the music. Locke's Theme
  • The first truly brilliant episode of Lost.

After this episode of Lost, I was stunned. Quite simply, this is exactly why I watch this show. This episode has everything. The writers pick up the pace of the plot, the metaphors begin to kick in, and the little tricks that have been planted in our memory finally begin to blossom.

Locke's name clicks immediately, and his self described "spirtual journey" (the walkabout itself) both have long standing rammifications for the series and it's a real blast to watch as the writers toy with you throughout the episode.

The other characters also continue to develop, and Jack begins to show the signs of cracking that will lead us into episode four. There a few moments of humor and even Clair pitches in.

This is the first truly great episode of Lost; do not miss this episode. I absolutely loved it from beginning to end, and this is what hooked me on the show
  • Oustanding episode

This will definetely be remembered as one of the best episodes of the entire series. I had no idea Locke had a disability - much less that he used to be a parapalegic. The ending of the episode took me completely by surprise. I ended up telling all my friends about the episode the next day, and I thought about it for weeks. It really added a huge depth to the character of John Locke, and sets up his other flashback episodes nicely. After this episode, and even after the first season, we have no idea how he became paralyzed.

One of my absolute favorite TV episodes of all time.
  • Jack Locke's dignity.

Watching this episode, all I could do was be amazed. The Jack-in-the-chair aspect was interesting, but the part I found most fascinating with the episode was how it portrayed Locke's near-total misery of a life. Dead-end job, complete-and-total SOB of a superviser, no relationship except a pay-to-talk woman. And Locke's no idiot. Seriously. If you were trying to find a dog on the island, would you think to whittle down a reed to make a dog-whistle? I probably wouldn't. At least not at first. This is clearly a man with a deep, complex, thoughtful (meaning thinks a lot, not oh, isn't that sweet of you) nature.

And that's what I found so interesting about this episode. Here's a man who clearly has abilities and could do something special and extraordinary with his life, and what's he doing? Toiling in some dead-end job.

And then of course, I started thinking about how some of all that is exactly like my life: the cubicles of doom, the office politics, the lack of excitement, and wow, it got on my nerves a little. How dare television point out I'm wasting my life!
  • Locke is so much more interesting than Kate...

...Now there are 47 survivors after the Marshal died, and suddenly in the night the survivors wake up to something rooting around in the fuselage. Jack and Sawyer go investigate and a boar piglet runs out.

So Locke forms a hunting party made up of Kate, Michael, and Locke. They traipse into the forest searching for the boar to make a meal.

Michael is wounded from the boar and is taken back to camp along with Kate, leaving former paralytic Locke to fend for himself and to catch the boar.

So now we know Locke can walk, and he runs into Jack with the dead boar (dinner) while Jack has this vision of his father, standing there on the beach.

Meanwhile survivors are shocked at Jacks idea for the bodies... to burn them but then they hold a memorial service while doing so.

This episode was really revealing, it shows us Locke's past.
  • We learn of Lockes secret and more fear of the machine is instilled within us.

This is another incredible episode where secrets are dropped and emotions flow. I give everyone episode I have seen so far a 10. This is my second time to see all the episodes and they still keep me on the edge of my seat. From wild "thangs' invading the camp to strange illusions of family, this episode got it going on!
  • At first I was angry to see this episode was also chock full of flashbacks, but this was easily forgivable, seeing as Locke is a much more interesting character than Kate is.

The focus of Lost up until this point has been mostly on Kate. I have no idea why, because she is not very interesting. Plus, the writers made a serious mistake by not giving us anything to work with about her mysterious past. This time around, our mysterious friend John Locke gets the flashback treatment, and the Lost writers once again chose to not reveal everything to us, but they revealed just enough to make us anxious for more Locke related material.

Unlike last week's Tabula Rasa, this time around the flashbacks do not get in the way of the island story. In fact, they add to it. Most of the island related material is about Locke too, and the island story and the flashback story piggyback off each other to create a very unique narrative. The flashbacks aren't jsut there to let us know about Locke's past, they're there to enhance the story of Locke right now in the present.

Locke has been a mysterious character. His friendship with young Walt was very odd, and a little disturbing at first (and Walt's father Michael, who finally gets some screen time, seems to agree). Now it's revealed that he's brought knives on the plane, and is a skilled hunter. No one expected that...

Locke is a very depressing character. All through his flashbacks we see a lonely man who plays board games on his lunch break and befriends a phone sex operator. This hit me hard, because my life is in my friends, and if I were in Locke's situation, I'd be absolutely miserable. It adds a whole new layer to his bond with Walt.

The most important part of the episode as a whole is what it does for the style. The Pilot episode was a mix between mystery and character. last week's episode focused more on character, and left the mysteries, like the giant creature thing and the polar bear behind. Walkabout returns us to that mix of both that the Pilot had. If every episode is like that, then we've got a great show on our hands. The big idea here is that Locke has now seen (or at least that is implied) the mysterious island monster, and that he returned... alive and dandy. There is also another mystery: Jack has begun seeing a mysterious figure that apparently no one else can see.

This epsiode is going to be remembered as one that defined what Lost is. After watching this episode, you'll know whether you love it or hate it. The surprise at the end (in a flashback) is that Locke is actually confined to a wheelchair, which they hid brilliantly through his earlier flashbacks. They also had some amazingly interesting clues, such as the opening shot of the episode, Locke waking up after the plane crash, and staring at his feet. He realizes he can move them. This is ultimate proof that somethign really IS up with this island. It healed Locke, and now it let him see its mystery creature. This will hopefully develope into a staple plotline for the show.

FINAL SCORE: 9.6
    SUMMARY: A great balance of mystery and character development, and the first defining episode of the show.
  • Beginning to get very interesting

(contains spoilers)

Okay, so far we know that there are around 48 survivors of the plane crash, that there is some huge wierd beast living on the island, that there are polar bears in the jungle, and that people aren’t straightforward (although I guess we should know that from real life right?).

This episode concentrates on Locke, the more-than-slightly odd fella.
    The group are interupted (scared) by some wild pigs in the middle of night. Next day Locke comes up with a plan for hunting them, which is kind of important, seeing as they’ve eaten most of the food.

So a small group goes off a hunting pigs. Kate too, but she is more concerned with placing an antenna so Sayid can try to trace the power source of the mysterious French broadcast. Trouble is, despite Locke’s plan things don’t turn out to well and Michael ends up gored/gashed by a pig. Kate tries to help him back to the beach, with a little stop along the way to place the antenna. Only for the mysterious beastie to make an appearance, and, by the looks of it, head off to eat Locke who is still in hot pursuit of the bacon.

But Locke returns safe and sound, and with pig! Not only that, but we know he saw the beast up close and personal, yet when Jack asks him about it, he denies having seen it.

Then there is the issue of the mysterious person Jack kept seeing. And the fact that he was very uncomfortable with the idea of a memorial service for the dead people (they’ve no been burned).

Lots of wierdness in this episode Locke was in a wheelchair, unable to walk until the crash. Not only that but he now seems to be living his fantasy life as he gets to be the action-bush-man type. Also, are there other people alive out there? But overall, I’d say this was my favourite episode so far, any coincidence that it was written by “The Fury”?
  • One of the most powerful (and surprising) episodes of Lost.

The entire background story surrounding John Locke was really well done, particularly the big surprise at the very end. If you've seen the episode, you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, I don't want to spoil it--it's that good. I didn't see it coming at all, although there were lots of great clues dropped throughout. I immediately rewinded and watched the episode a second time to try and pick them up.

Locke is such a pivotal character in this series, especially as a conflicting personality with Jack. This episode's backstory really gives you some important background to Locke and helps explain his outlook and point of view--particularly his strong belief in fate and faith--in subsequent episodes.
1 2 3 4 >