Lost

Walkabout

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 13, 2004 on ABC

• One of the most powerful (and surprising) episodes of Lost.

The entire background story surrounding John Locke was really well done, particularly the big surprise at the very end. If you've seen the episode, you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, I don't want to spoil it--it's that good. I didn't see it coming at all, although there were lots of great clues dropped throughout. I immediately rewinded and watched the episode a second time to try and pick them up.

Locke is such a pivotal character in this series, especially as a conflicting personality with Jack. This episode's backstory really gives you some important background to Locke and helps explain his outlook and point of view--particularly his strong belief in fate and faith--in subsequent episodes.
  • Beginning to get very interesting

(contains spoilers)

Okay, so far we know that there are around 48 survivors of the plane crash, that there is some huge wierd beast living on the island, that there are polar bears in the jungle, and that people aren’t straightforward (although I guess we should know that from real life right?).

This episode concentrates on Locke, the more-than-slightly odd fella.
    The group are interupted (scared) by some wild pigs in the middle of night. Next day Locke comes up with a plan for hunting them, which is kind of important, seeing as they’ve eaten most of the food.

So a small group goes off a hunting pigs. Kate too, but she is more concerned with placing an antenna so Sayid can try to trace the power source of the mysterious French broadcast. Trouble is, despite Locke’s plan things don’t turn out to well and Michael ends up gored/gashed by a pig. Kate tries to help him back to the beach, with a little stop along the way to place the antenna. Only for the mysterious beastie to make an appearance, and, by the looks of it, head off to eat Locke who is still in hot pursuit of the bacon.

But Locke returns safe and sound, and with pig! Not only that, but we know he saw the beast up close and personal, yet when Jack asks him about it, he denies having seen it.

Then there is the issue of the mysterious person Jack kept seeing. And the fact that he was very uncomfortable with the idea of a memorial service for the dead people (they’ve no been burned).

Lots of wierdness in this episode Locke was in a wheelchair, unable to walk until the crash. Not only that but he now seems to be living his fantasy life as he gets to be the action-bush-man type. Also, are there other people alive out there? But overall, I’d say this was my favourite episode so far, any coincidence that it was written by “The Fury”?
  • At first I was angry to see this episode was also chock full of flashbacks, but this was easily forgivable, seeing as Locke is a much more interesting character than Kate is.

The focus of Lost up until this point has been mostly on Kate. I have no idea why, because she is not very interesting. Plus, the writers made a serious mistake by not giving us anything to work with about her mysterious past. This time around, our mysterious friend John Locke gets the flashback treatment, and the Lost writers once again chose to not reveal everything to us, but they revealed just enough to make us anxious for more Locke related material.

Unlike last week's Tabula Rasa, this time around the flashbacks do not get in the way of the island story. In fact, they add to it. Most of the island related material is about Locke too, and the island story and the flashback story piggyback off each other to create a very unique narrative. The flashbacks aren't jsut there to let us know about Locke's past, they're there to enhance the story of Locke right now in the present.

Locke has been a mysterious character. His friendship with young Walt was very odd, and a little disturbing at first (and Walt's father Michael, who finally gets some screen time, seems to agree). Now it's revealed that he's brought knives on the plane, and is a skilled hunter. No one expected that...

Locke is a very depressing character. All through his flashbacks we see a lonely man who plays board games on his lunch break and befriends a phone sex operator. This hit me hard, because my life is in my friends, and if I were in Locke's situation, I'd be absolutely miserable. It adds a whole new layer to his bond with Walt.

The most important part of the episode as a whole is what it does for the style. The Pilot episode was a mix between mystery and character. last week's episode focused more on character, and left the mysteries, like the giant creature thing and the polar bear behind. Walkabout returns us to that mix of both that the Pilot had. If every episode is like that, then we've got a great show on our hands. The big idea here is that Locke has now seen (or at least that is implied) the mysterious island monster, and that he returned... alive and dandy. There is also another mystery: Jack has begun seeing a mysterious figure that apparently no one else can see.

This epsiode is going to be remembered as one that defined what Lost is. After watching this episode, you'll know whether you love it or hate it. The surprise at the end (in a flashback) is that Locke is actually confined to a wheelchair, which they hid brilliantly through his earlier flashbacks. They also had some amazingly interesting clues, such as the opening shot of the episode, Locke waking up after the plane crash, and staring at his feet. He realizes he can move them. This is ultimate proof that somethign really IS up with this island. It healed Locke, and now it let him see its mystery creature. This will hopefully develope into a staple plotline for the show.

FINAL SCORE: 9.6
    SUMMARY: A great balance of mystery and character development, and the first defining episode of the show.
  • We learn of Lockes secret and more fear of the machine is instilled within us.

This is another incredible episode where secrets are dropped and emotions flow. I give everyone episode I have seen so far a 10. This is my second time to see all the episodes and they still keep me on the edge of my seat. From wild "thangs' invading the camp to strange illusions of family, this episode got it going on!
  • Locke is so much more interesting than Kate...

...Now there are 47 survivors after the Marshal died, and suddenly in the night the survivors wake up to something rooting around in the fuselage. Jack and Sawyer go investigate and a boar piglet runs out.

So Locke forms a hunting party made up of Kate, Michael, and Locke. They traipse into the forest searching for the boar to make a meal.

Michael is wounded from the boar and is taken back to camp along with Kate, leaving former paralytic Locke to fend for himself and to catch the boar.

So now we know Locke can walk, and he runs into Jack with the dead boar (dinner) while Jack has this vision of his father, standing there on the beach.

Meanwhile survivors are shocked at Jacks idea for the bodies... to burn them but then they hold a memorial service while doing so.

This episode was really revealing, it shows us Locke's past.
  • Jack Locke's dignity.

Watching this episode, all I could do was be amazed. The Jack-in-the-chair aspect was interesting, but the part I found most fascinating with the episode was how it portrayed Locke's near-total misery of a life. Dead-end job, complete-and-total SOB of a superviser, no relationship except a pay-to-talk woman. And Locke's no idiot. Seriously. If you were trying to find a dog on the island, would you think to whittle down a reed to make a dog-whistle? I probably wouldn't. At least not at first. This is clearly a man with a deep, complex, thoughtful (meaning thinks a lot, not oh, isn't that sweet of you) nature.

And that's what I found so interesting about this episode. Here's a man who clearly has abilities and could do something special and extraordinary with his life, and what's he doing? Toiling in some dead-end job.

And then of course, I started thinking about how some of all that is exactly like my life: the cubicles of doom, the office politics, the lack of excitement, and wow, it got on my nerves a little. How dare television point out I'm wasting my life!
  • Oustanding episode

This will definetely be remembered as one of the best episodes of the entire series. I had no idea Locke had a disability - much less that he used to be a parapalegic. The ending of the episode took me completely by surprise. I ended up telling all my friends about the episode the next day, and I thought about it for weeks. It really added a huge depth to the character of John Locke, and sets up his other flashback episodes nicely. After this episode, and even after the first season, we have no idea how he became paralyzed.

One of my absolute favorite TV episodes of all time.
  • The first truly brilliant episode of Lost.

After this episode of Lost, I was stunned. Quite simply, this is exactly why I watch this show. This episode has everything. The writers pick up the pace of the plot, the metaphors begin to kick in, and the little tricks that have been planted in our memory finally begin to blossom.

Locke's name clicks immediately, and his self described "spirtual journey" (the walkabout itself) both have long standing rammifications for the series and it's a real blast to watch as the writers toy with you throughout the episode.

The other characters also continue to develop, and Jack begins to show the signs of cracking that will lead us into episode four. There a few moments of humor and even Clair pitches in.

This is the first truly great episode of Lost; do not miss this episode. I absolutely loved it from beginning to end, and this is what hooked me on the show
  • This episode masterfully and deeply describes just what kind of person John Locke is in just 40 minutes. Really something special.

This is one of the most beautiful episodes of any show. I love the theme, I love how they explain Locke so well after they cast a ominous shadow about him in the first few episodes.

Locke is awesome! and this episode is awe-inspiring!
    I also LOVE the music. Locke's Theme
  • This episode just proves that Locke is the best character on the show. Plus he's also the one of the best characters on TV period!

Locke is one of the best characters because of the mystery of his life and why he wants to be the leader of the island. This epsiode shows how depressing his life was before the crash. (Plus an injoke reference to the movie 'The Office') Terry O' Quinn does a great job with the acting in this show and I'm gald he's up for an Emmy. With this episode he deserves every bit of the Emmy.
  • Locke develops into one of the best characters on the island.

I loved this episode because it focused on Locke. All of the twists and turns regarding his past were incredible. I love how he always says "Don't tell me what I can't do". He is such a determined man who believes that you can do anything you want to.

When he showed everyone his knives, I literally jumped out of my seat because I was so happy. He is developing into one of the best characters. He is mysterious because of his past. Where did he get the knives? How does he know so much about the boars and hunting? Plus he is a badass.

He and Jack are definitely the two most important characters on the island. Followed closely by Kate and Sayid. They are the ones that are going to lead this group to survival.
  • The first part of the backstory to my favorite character, John Locke, is revealed. And it's a doozy!

Of the multiple characters on the island, John Locke is the most cryptic. He says very little, but deep down he knows there is a reason everyone survived the crash.

This episode is the first to deal with Locke\'s backstory. He appears to be a lonely man who has a boring job in a box factory and who spends his nights talking with phone sex operators. He doesn\'t at all fit the profile of the tough hunter he has become on the island.

What is revealed at the end of this episode is such a surprise that it left my mouth wide open. It becomes a major point of the whole first season.

Overall, this is easily the best LOST episode to air so far.
  • Information time.

This episode was fairly good. It starts off by scaring us at the beginning but teaches us that there are boars on the island.

It's starting to sink in that they might need to be here for a long time but that it's ok because they have substance.

We learn more about Locke who is turning out to be a very interesting character.
  • We learn about Locke in this episode.

I think Locke is a little strange and creepy, but he's very nice. And I can't believe he started to walk again. I wonder how he got into the wheelchair in the first place. And he saw the creature, but lied about it. Why? What is this creature? Man, this show is soooo nerve-wracking lol. But it's good.
  • So far, this has been my favorite episode of Lost. So incredibly moving.

This episode made me both David Fury and Terry O'Quinn's bitch. Stunning ending.

My brother is a quadriplegic and the one thing I wish in life is for him to become better. To be able to walk again. This episode gave me a little bit of hope that yes, he will be able to walk again. To do all of the things that other boys do at his age. To live his life normally.

When Locke yelled at "Don't talk to me about fair!" I thought that was perfect. People complain about the disabled gobbling up money and privileged parking spaces, saying that it just isn't fair to them, so his dialogue was very realistic.

The best part though was the shot of the wheelchair being burned along with the fuselage and everything else. That's my brother's hope. To be able to just throw away all remnants of his disability.

Since this episode first aired, my brother has been able to walk over 400 feet in a walker. Miracles do happen.

Strengths
    -Opening flashback with Locke wiggling his toes in astonishment.
    -Great scenes between Jack and Rose.
    -Hilarious bit with Hurley and Charlie fishing.
    -Locke's flashback scenes. Great exchange between him and Randy in the break room.
    -Spectacular music. Best music of the series in this episode.
    -Felt so sad for Locke when it was revealed that Helen was just some woman he had met on a phone line. Great acting by Terry O'Quinn.
    -Locke being able to see the monster firsthand.
    -Loved Shannon's dialogue in this episode.
    -Perfect last scene and flashback. Perfect music along with it.
  • School of Locke

Mr Mysterious gets an episode all to himself and what an episode it is! John Locke, who hadn't done much before this episode, suddenly becomes one of the most intriguing characters on the island in Walkabout, a powerful and dramatic hour which is easily one of the best episodes of the season.

We see flashbacks of Locke's last few days before landing on the island. He works in a boring office job, is bullied by his work colleagues, is deeply in love with a woman he calls on a chat line and is planning a trip to Australia.

Locke evolves so much in this episode. Unlike Kate's flashbacks in Tabula Rasa, we end up genuinely caring for Locke and sympathizing with his story. I first imagined Locke as somebody extremely important with a very powerful job and a big reputation. How wrong I was. He is a lonely man who plays board games on his lunch break. He has fallen for a woman he talks to on a phone sex hotline. And he is in a wheelchair. I was expecting the twist right from the beginning of the episode but I was still somehow shocked. The miracle he told Walt about was that he regained the use of his legs when he woke up on the island. It adds another layer of mystery to this, obviously supernatural, island.

The island storyline is also exciting. The opening moments, where the sleeping survivors see wild boars eating the corpses in the crashed plane, is extremely tense. Here the writers add another animal to the bizarre zoo they're creating on Lost.

The character development was also perfect in this episode. Sun had to look after Walt whilst Vincent went away and the scenes between the two very different people were hilarious, in particular Walt's response to what she said to him in her native language, "uh, yeah, whatever". You can see that Jack is struggling being the leader and it's understandable. His scenes with Rose were heartbreaking and L. Scott Caldwell shows more talent than some of the regulars in a role which was underused throughout the first season. Charlie and Hurley trying to catch fish was one of the many funny moments in the episode, which also included more Boone/Shannon squabbling, which was one of Walkabout's highlights.

Walkabout is much better than the Kate-centric Tabula Rasa and is one of the standout's of season one.
  • Surely one of the greatest television episodes ever made.

This was the episode that catapulted Lost from being a good series to a great one, with a closing scene that must go down as one of the best in the history of television. Terry O'Quinn is unforgetable, as is David Fury's teleplay, making Locke the most compelling character on the island.
  • Expands the parameters of what TV drama is capable of (offering us something far better than moderm day cinema, especially in terms of plot and character development).

Surely the best episode in the series, and a breaththough installment in moden tv drama, presenting an indepth, charecter based story which has a crucial impact on thenarrative development of the series. Fortunately the metaphysical elements steer clear of pat mytsicism, instead focsing on very real human drama and the struggles inherent in such journeys (O'Quinn is a revelation in this cpacity). Just enthrawling television, and the springboard to 'Lost's' greatness as a series.
  • 'Walkabout' helps viewer walk again.

Anyone who reads thefuselage.com, Lost’s site for interacting with the creators will know that Terry O’Quinn regularly replies to messages from his fans (he posts as ‘oquinn’). This one says it all about the episode, the show and the man:

‘How Walkabout affected my family deeply’ posted at , 10/14/05)

Mr. O’Quinn, last week, my brother watched Walkabout for the first time on DVD. The next day, he walked 624 feet. Not a big deal right?

The thing is that he’s paralyzed on his right side. You see, back in late 1998, at the age of 4, he was involved in a serious wreck that left him with a C-1 complete spinal cord injury. He was paralyzed from the neck down. During the month immediately following his injury, he nearly died many times. He went into cardiac arrest four times.

Over the course of the next months and years, he regained the ability to use his left side, breathe on his own during the day, eat, and feel everything on his body. During the past few years, he’s even been able to walk up to 200 feet with the aid of a therapist and a walker.

Last week, my brother saw Walkabout for the first time. It tore him apart emotionally. He’s coming up on his twelfth birthday now and has had problems at school lately, the same sort of pre-teenager angst that you probably know about and remember. It’s hard being bound to a wheelchair at any time, but especially as a child. Anyway, when he saw Locke roll his wheelchair out from behind the desk, he started tearing up. But when he saw the final shot with the wheelchair and the blazing fire with the victorious music, he lost it completely. He started completely bawling. However, he took an oath that he too would no longer need his wheelchair either.

The day after watching Walkabout, my brother shocked his therapist and my mother when he more than tripled his previous record of 200 feet by going 624 feet in his walker. It was the best he had ever walked. But you want to know the truly miraculous thing Mr. O’Quinn? During the investigation into the wreck that caused my brother’s injury, the investigators noted that the farthest debris had flown from the site of impact was 620 feet. My brother finally walked away from the wreck last week with room to spare.

Sir, I don’t know you and I’m sure I never will. However, I have to give you and all of the people that helped put Walkabout together credit for being a turning point in my brother’s life. There’s been a noticeable change in him since last week. He has more energy and is more confident. I know and he knows that he will walk as you and I do one day. As cheesy as it may sound, we will look back to the time he saw Walkabout as what propelled him to full recovery. And for that sir, I am truly grateful.

Whoops, I guess I need a question somewhere in here. When you were in the process of filming Walkabout, did you ever expect that it would have the impact that it did on so many people?

Re: How Walkabout affected my family deeply

Dear ffhc,
    I had no idea of the effect any of our work would have, nor of the number of people that would eventually enjoy our show. I do know that inspiration can come from anywhere at any time and that lives can always be changed no matter the length or depth of the previous course. Your brother's story affected me deeply and I thank you for sharing it with me. It must be very difficult for a family to see a fellow so young enduring such pain and disappointment. At the same time it must be extraodinarily difficult for him to feel the weight of all that wanting; the pain and the desire of his friends and family...........their need to see him whole again.
    I hope that his progress continues and that he continues to find inspiration wherever it may happen to appear. There a lots of lessons in nature...............and there are angels among us. Please give him my best regards and tell him, if you will, that John Locke would be proud to know he gave inspiration to a boy who needed it.
    And thank you for the inspiration you've given me.

Terry O'Quinn
  • Best Television Episode of 2004 (the futoncritic.com).

No one says it better than one of the best critics in the game. So here is their review (from 'The Best TV Episodes of 2004):

No 1. "lost: walkabout"

Just a flat out flawless piece of writing, directing and acting as the backstory of the mysterious Locke (a wonderful Terry O'Quinn) is revealed. I don't know anyone who saw the closing twist coming and - wow - what a fantastic twist it was. Nothing is more exciting as a TV viewer than being genuinely surprised and "Lost" does that (and more) on a regular basis.
  • A Locke episode [SPOILERS]

One again I love this series. Locke is one of the coolest characters because he comes from such a sad past. The whole episode you see him in his flashbacks being put down by other people and then at the very end of the episode you see that he was in a wheelchair. That blew me away. I love this show.
  • Seriously, this episode summarizes the best aspects of the show.

In this episode, we learn something rather incredible about the mysterious man known only as "Locke".

And it's that secret that epitomizes why this show is great. It's unexpected, supernatural, but also very down to earth and interesting, and builds in a way that benefits and ties into the show's long running mythology and the short term needs of a good, self contained story in a single episode.

Locke has since gone on to become my all time favorite character of the show, for his vulnerability, his mysteriousness, his resourcefullness, never say die attitude, and all around likeability.
  • Probably the best indicator of what this show would be like after the pilot. Spoilers abound.

I had trouble deciding what to rate this episode. When I first saw this episode (thankfully unspoiled), I originally gave it an eight. Of the episodes Lost made, this one probably got the most discussion aside from the Pilot. This is due to the surprise twist, revealing that Locke was in a wheelchair before the flight. I definitely thought Locke’s back story was excellent, but there were other elements that didn’t please me to that level. However, after rewatching it several times and hearing the DVD commentary (if you don’t have the season 1 DVD, pick it up), I have come to appreciate the episode on a technical level, both in the script and production, so much as to upgrade my original rating.

Terry O’Quinn, as Locke, is one of Lost’s most valuable assets. Up to this point Locke was the most mysterious of the castaways, but it was clear that he had some connection to the island. Hurley, as the voice of the audience, asks “Who is this guy?” It is a question that has intrigued the audience and the delivery lived up to that. We learn about Locke at a pivotal point in his story, as he decides to finally integrate himself in the tribe.

The first problem that allows Locke to step up comes when wild boars invade the camp because of the smell of the rotting corpses. Like last episode, how to deal with the bodies is another step in their shift into island life. Nothing was done about the bodies because they assumed a rescue boat would arrive and take care of that. Now they have corpses cooking in the sun for several days, upsetting the survivors as well as attracting wildlife. Jack knows that the bodies must be burned so as not to attract animals to dug graves (interestingly, no other person who has died has been burned). His attitude is rather callous and offends the spiritual Sayid and Claire, but he doesn’t protest a memorial service for those who died. Knowing what I know, Jack’s behavior isn’t a surprise, but it does raise questions for those who don’t know why he would act this way.

We must remember that only four days have passed since the crash, so surviving is top priority. Their second dilemma comes as their food dwindles to a bag of airplane peanuts and those certainly won’t stay fresh in a tropical environment with no refrigeration. Now Locke has the opportunity to integrate himself into the group. He can solve both food problems and the boars in one fell swoop. Before the crash, Locke lived a life of fantasies and adventures, and now all the information he’s collected about survival can be put to good use.

Claire’s efforts to find information on the literally lost castaways drops a hint about Sayid’s past and his reason for wanting to get off the island. This is the first instance of seeing the soft side of Sayid, which often clashes with the tough Republican Guard Sayid. Some have criticized the producers decision to add scenes to episodes afterward, saying it only adds to the belief that they’re making it up as they go along, but the moment of character development helps and that is what Lost is about.

Claire’s search and preparation of the memorial service also ties into her personal beliefs. As we learn later, Claire is very spiritual, often more towards new age spirituality and this episode helps establish that fact about her character.

Michael’s behavior is consistent for someone who just became a father. We wouldn’t buy it if he suddenly became a good father overnight. He wants to gain Locke’s favor, thereby gaining his son’s, but leaving him with the woman he saw partially naked and as far as he knows, unable to speak English, is a questionable parenting choice. This interaction does show us how resourceful Sun is, creating a toothbrush from some plants.

Shannon and Boone fight again, where once again she’s told she’s useless. Boone challenges her to catch a fish, but what she does is use Charlie’s crush on her (which does throw off the vibes he has towards Claire) to get what she wants. And she thinks she did it. Obviously since it is only night 5 by the end of the episode, the characters are still being established so the arcs will work.

Now that the Marshal has died, Jack is now helping Rose, who has been quiet since she was revived in “Pilot, Part 1”. Her thoughts are on her husband, but unlike Jack, she has faith that her husband is still alive. She is very similar to Locke in this respect.

What really shakes Jack is the odd apparition. It has been five days at this point, and the writers are certainly conscious that this leadership has been taking a toll on Jack, as it will be explored in Jack’s flashbacks.

“Don’t tell me what I can’t do!” It has become an ongoing theme for Lost. It really emphasizes the frustration Locke feels in the wheelchair. Locke’s life before the flight was sad, like a contemporary Willy Loman. He was a loser, deceiving himself, being picked on by bullies at work and having his capability questioned. He had dreams of adventure and destiny, but reality kept him down. But on the island, it all changed. He is healed. It suddenly is very clear why Locke has so much invested in the island.

This is the first time a castaway has had direct contact with the monster without it leading in death. Of course this must’ve been difficult to stage. It’s too early to reveal the monster like just yet. One thing worth noting is that Terry O’Quinn was told that the monster was “the most beautiful thing [he’d] ever seen”. That explanation is awfully vague, as beauty differs. What was it that Locke found beautiful? Why did it spare Locke whereas it killed the pilot? It’s safe to assume that the monster killed the boar for Locke, but like his former disability, he isn’t likely to be sharing what happened with anyone else.

The script is a large reason why this episode is so highly praised among fans. This is thanks to writer David Fury, who had proved himself on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. There are so many things you pick up in the writing that were foretelling of the twist, but we never noticed them because Bender, Fury and O’Quinn thankfully underplay them. Locke was only seen sitting or lying down in the flashbacks. When Randy teases him about going on the Walkabout, we assume he’s doing it because it would be out of Locke’s element, not because he was disabled; Randy even emphasizes the phrase “on foot”. Later in the scene, Locke references a man without legs who was able to climb Everest. When he’s talking to “Helen”, there is a machine by the bed, which the commentary revealed was a device used to stimulate the muscles in his legs.

This revelation, like many on Lost, only brings up more questions, the obvious ones being how Locke was able to walk again and what caused him to be paralyzed initially. He could be in that wheelchair for a multitude of reasons, but they don\'t have time to detail. What is it about the island that reversed that cause? Such a shocking moment made some to declare this as the defining moment of the season for Lost and all of primetime. It is probably the most indicative episode of what Lost would become aside from the pilot. The Futon Critic dubbed Walkabout as the best television episode of 2004 and although I disagree, it is clear why some people believe that.
  • Lockes past is pretty strange innit?

This was a brilliant episode of lost. Seeing the ads for it at the end of the one before when the knife suddenly flies into the seat jack's sat on is freaky. but when you see locke it all makes more sense. i thought before this part of the series that locke would remain a boring business man/outsider from the rest of the group. He sort of is an outsider from the rest of the group still and that's what i like about him. He just suddenly appears all over the place and he always has an answer. i think that his character proves quite vital to everyone else in the end.
  • Locke Centric

Into the Bald!

I loved this episode......it had many great reveals: Locke was a paraplegic and in a wheelchair with no action below the waist, he has a case full of knives and he is the first survivor to get a good look at the monster.

Everyone is starving and they need food....in comes Mr Locke with his bright idea "We hunt".

Micheal who wants to prove something to his son, volunteers to go on the hunt with Kate, as always tagging along, gets injured. Locke with something to prove now that he can walk by the miracle of the island decides to find and kill the boar himself.

Overall, brillaint episode.......packed with emotion and adventure.
  • Just who is John Locke, anyway?

Looking back, I realize I propably saw the original airing of this episode, though back then I wasn\'t as obsessed as I am now. However, I distinctly remember deciding to start watching Lost more often after my dad had me watch this durring the secound airing durring the summer. Anyway, I fell in love due to this episode. Locke was instantly my favorite.

Although my love for different charactors has changed (Locke is pretty low on my list now, and Charlie, who was the lowest is now my absolute favorie) This remains as one of the favorite episodes. You can\'t not feel for the truely demented, omnious, yet lovable Locke, at least not durring this episode. It is truely a must-see for an LOST veiwer.
  • Walkabout gives an insight into John Locke who has been through something tremendous...

This episode continues the approach the series has taken in its previous episodes and takes a closer look into one of the survivors: John Locke.

We see plenty of interesting flashbacks from Locke's life before the plain crash. Who he is, what he does and why he was in the plane. And the biggest revelation comes last - just before the final fade out. To john Locke the plain crash brought a very positive surprise!

As we take a look into Locke's past we also have to stay focused on the present day situation on the island. This episode brings up the problem of getting more food. While some are gathering food others are organising a memorial service for the dead and finding a way to get a rid of the bodies.
  • Amazing.

Walkabout gives an insight into John Locke who has been through something tremendous... Seeing Locke at 1st gives you a bad feel then you see him in this and see that he is really nice so something bad must of happen before the crash and after the flashback or he is just happy to be walking he doesnt really care if people thinks he's crazy. This is a great ep. i love it alot.
  • What's with Locke?

So we learn on this episode that John Locke was the one that had the wheelchair.. in fact, he did for 4 years.. somehow or someway once the plane crashed John Locke was perfect again.. his leg was fine and he was running around helping people and hunting boars.
    Our beloved Sawyer was the one that had to find out almost the hard way how they were going to eat, with Locke throwing a knife at the seat next to him..
    So did he get all of those knives of his into the plane? I wish i knew.. and what was up with that call that he received? "Is this line secure?" Why would a man who is in wheelchair and works for a box company need to talk to someone in a line that was secure?
    I got my eye on Locke, he is a really weird guy..
  • One of LOST Season 1\'s epecially brilliant episodes.

The creators of the show implemented a very exciting, mysterious and emotional picture on John Locke.

All the emotion, mystery comes to a particularly moving finale which sets an exciting course for John Locke.

Establishing a positive connection between Locke and the audience was done so with great finesse and solid writing.

Walt\'s \"He said a miracle happened on this island\" from a few episodes back is emphasized as brilliant foreshadowing and another one of the show\'s trademark teases.
< 1 2 3 4