Lost

Walkabout

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 13, 2004 on ABC

• One of the most powerful (and surprising) episodes of Lost.

The entire background story surrounding John Locke was really well done, particularly the big surprise at the very end. If you've seen the episode, you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, I don't want to spoil it--it's that good. I didn't see it coming at all, although there were lots of great clues dropped throughout. I immediately rewinded and watched the episode a second time to try and pick them up.

Locke is such a pivotal character in this series, especially as a conflicting personality with Jack. This episode's backstory really gives you some important background to Locke and helps explain his outlook and point of view--particularly his strong belief in fate and faith--in subsequent episodes.
  • Surely one of the greatest television episodes ever made.

This was the episode that catapulted Lost from being a good series to a great one, with a closing scene that must go down as one of the best in the history of television. Terry O'Quinn is unforgetable, as is David Fury's teleplay, making Locke the most compelling character on the island.
  • Fourth Episode of the Series.

This show amazes me everytime I watch it. Every episode gets better and better. I am speechless. I have nothing to say except OUTSTANDING! . Well this episode 'Walkabout' is a John Locke centric episode. We go into the past into the life of Locke. The whole flashback everyone is telling Locke 'You can't do this!' and he keeps saying 'I can do anything!' So, I'm like what's up with Locke? So we find out that he got paralyzed and he was in a wheelchair (obviously). But the wierd thing is that when they got off the plane after the crash, he could walk. AHHHHHH. i LOVE LOST!
  • Don't tell me how brilliant this episode is

Usually when you watch the pilot of a series, the writing and acting are so impressive that you find yourself watching to see if they get top it. While this has been true for ninety percent of the series I've watched, sometimes --- not often --- there will come a moment went everything clicks and you decide "I need to stay how this turns out." On Lost, this moment came roughly two minutes before the end of 'Walkabout'. I'd thought it was good up until then, but when I saw that, I knew I was in for the duration.
    Part of this reason was because of the character at the center of the episode: John Locke. Up until, he's seemed a little creepy and eccentric, with absolutely no indication that he's about to become the center of the series and one of the most fascinating characters in television history. Of course, I didn't know that, but there are certainly hints of it both in the scenes we see of him on and off the island.
    Under other circumstance, Locke appears to be this military, survivalist guy, who seemed to be stuck in the middle of a corporate job. Certainly, we have no idea what is in this man's makeup that allows him to gather so much information on hunting and tracking. There is something charismatic about the man--- how else could he have managed to convince a phone sex operator to become a close friend with him solely through months of conversation? More unsettling is the certainty about this man--- he seems to feel that he has a great destiny (and given what I've seen over the past four years, he's probably right)-and that he will not accept defeat in any form "Don't tell me what I can't do" is a phrase he uses over and over in the episode. He shows that when he slaughters the boar basically on his own, when whatever monster it is looks him in the face--- and doesn't kill him. But mainly it's because of his major secret --- before the plane crash, he had been in a wheelchair for four years. This revelation is handled so well and crafted so carefully that Rod Serling would have been proud. Not since the revelation that Nina Myers was actually the mole at CTU during the initial season of 24 have I ever been so shocked.
    Even though the majority of the episode is focused on Locke, there is a quite a lot going on. For starters, there's the fact that the food has finally run out which brings about the boar hunt in the first place. The boars have been attracted by the smell of the corpses in the fuselage --- which leads Jack making another unilateral decision that the bodies and the fuselage should be burned. While this is probably the right call, several of the others --- particularly Charlie and Sayed--- are repulsed by the idea, mainly because it seems to go against what is decent, and it's clear Jack is somewhat uncomfortable with his decision.
    But Jack's got other things on his mind. For one thing, he spends much of the episode telling Rose--- the black woman he saved in the Pilot---- trying to calm her down from post traumatic shock, and mourning the loss of her husband. He succeeds in part, but he doesn't convince her that her husband is dead, even though he was in the tail section of the plane (Turns out her faith is correct, though we're not going to learn that for awhile) Then he sees the man in the suit. No doubt Jack is inclined to dismiss it as a hallucination, but given what we've seen on the island, he should know better. But at the end of the day, Jack is far more of a realist than any of the others, and while that mindset will help him lead, it probably isn't the wisest path to follow.
    Sayed is now in the process of trying to find the power source sending out the transmission that we heard on the transceiver. He is now trying to build an antennae, a project which Kate seems more than willing to help him with. We also the first time get a look at his human side when Claire locates a photograph belonging to him from the wreckage. Who is the woman? We'll find out soon.
    We also get a look at Michael, who joins Kate and Locke on the boar hunt. We're not sure why--- perhaps it's to keep Walt from heading off with Locke, who he doesn't trust even before the knives come out. It 's also clear that unlike Kate and Locke, he is a city folk not built for the outdoors, which probably isn't going to help much in the long run
    Just like in the last episode, what we gather about the remainder of the characters comes in snapshots. Even though Michael can't talk to Sun, he now seems willing to entrust Walt to her care, at least temporarily. Boone and Shannon are squabbling again, this time over on her ability to gather food, which leads her to basically seduce Charlie into catching one for her. Shannon seems to be getting less likable by the episode. Charlie might notice he's being used, if it weren't for the fact that he's still trying to snort, and he's running out of heroin. This is going to be a problem.
    Despite her pregnancy, Claire seems to be becoming more compassionate. She is the one who comes up with the idea for the memorial service, and after Jack refuses, she is more than willing to lead it. Hurley is in a similar frame, in one of the funnier scenes in the show, where he tries to help Charlie fish, in a very primitive way. (Asking Jin for help is out of the question.) And Kate is demonstrating a streak of recklessness --- she now makes her third hike out into the woods with Sayed's antenna, only to drop it when the monster attacks. She wants to get off this island, too, but given what we know about her, it's hard to figure why.
    But it's Terry O'Quinn (to date the only actor on the show who has won an Emmy) who's the real story of 'Walkabout'. Up until now, we've been able to explain at least some of the mysteries as realistic ones. But the revelation about Locke turns the entire series on its ear. We now understand his amazement when he climbs to his feet, and we can understand why he is in awe of this island. Locke will represent our fascination with the island. Problem is, a lot of people--- Jack, for one--- don't drink at this particular lemonade stand, and there may Be more problems coming down the line because of it.
    My score:10
  • This is the high point of Lost for me. Scratch that, this is the high point of TV.

A benchmark episode of Lost to say the least. After watching the first three episodes of this series (which were all amazing) none the less I was still slightly skeptical, but after the conclusion of this episode I was hooked for good, and I knew I was watching somthing special. Not only was the reveal ending special, the whole episode was, everything from the near perfect pacing, the suspense, to the character interaction. The scene where Locke officailly introduces himself to the group (throws knife near Sawyer, and gives speach about hunting) is perhaps my favorite scene of LOST. This episode is about my favorite character John Locke, but that's not to say there weren't great moments from other characters, in particular the first scene from the comedy duo of Hurley and Charlie. Not much else I can say besides, perfection.
  • Best Episode of the Series

This episode, like all the lock-centric episodes, was amazing. When I watched this for the first time, I realized that this show was something different, not like other shows. This episode is probably one of the best episodes of any show I have ever watched (or maybe an episode of Dexter) but the ending is second to none. I miss this show

• Most sublime tale of a man's first steps.

As the passengers of Oceanic Flight 815 prepare for an impromptu memorial service for those among them who are no longer part of the living, "hunter" John Locke, a case filled with knives, murderer Kate Austen and reluctant family man Michael go into the jungle to hunt food, several flashbacks introduce the audience to the past of the "hunter" which is parochial at best, pathetic at worst.

Apparently, Locke's life adventure reduced to this Australian Walkabout for which he prepared for years, developping skills that only got to carry on after the plane crash he survived due to the fact the guide rejected him on arrival, not unlike the Black Smoke Monster rejects to kill him when he volunteers as a distraction in order so Kate & Michael could scape.

Convinced that his name might be added to the memorial, everyone on the camp is shocked when Locke shows up alive & well with the product of his hunt, a boar ready to be eaten...what would really shock them, what in fact shocked us all, is Locke's final flashback, moments after the plane crash, when he realizes for first time that he can walk again, no longer rejected he stands up, as tall as he is, ready to face the ultimate walkabout of his life ...as the fire consumes what's left of the wheelchair that bound his past life Locke smiles, free, alive and most of all walking.
  • 'Walkabout' helps viewer walk again.

Anyone who reads thefuselage.com, Lost’s site for interacting with the creators will know that Terry O’Quinn regularly replies to messages from his fans (he posts as ‘oquinn’). This one says it all about the episode, the show and the man:

‘How Walkabout affected my family deeply’ posted at , 10/14/05)

Mr. O’Quinn, last week, my brother watched Walkabout for the first time on DVD. The next day, he walked 624 feet. Not a big deal right?

The thing is that he’s paralyzed on his right side. You see, back in late 1998, at the age of 4, he was involved in a serious wreck that left him with a C-1 complete spinal cord injury. He was paralyzed from the neck down. During the month immediately following his injury, he nearly died many times. He went into cardiac arrest four times.

Over the course of the next months and years, he regained the ability to use his left side, breathe on his own during the day, eat, and feel everything on his body. During the past few years, he’s even been able to walk up to 200 feet with the aid of a therapist and a walker.

Last week, my brother saw Walkabout for the first time. It tore him apart emotionally. He’s coming up on his twelfth birthday now and has had problems at school lately, the same sort of pre-teenager angst that you probably know about and remember. It’s hard being bound to a wheelchair at any time, but especially as a child. Anyway, when he saw Locke roll his wheelchair out from behind the desk, he started tearing up. But when he saw the final shot with the wheelchair and the blazing fire with the victorious music, he lost it completely. He started completely bawling. However, he took an oath that he too would no longer need his wheelchair either.

The day after watching Walkabout, my brother shocked his therapist and my mother when he more than tripled his previous record of 200 feet by going 624 feet in his walker. It was the best he had ever walked. But you want to know the truly miraculous thing Mr. O’Quinn? During the investigation into the wreck that caused my brother’s injury, the investigators noted that the farthest debris had flown from the site of impact was 620 feet. My brother finally walked away from the wreck last week with room to spare.

Sir, I don’t know you and I’m sure I never will. However, I have to give you and all of the people that helped put Walkabout together credit for being a turning point in my brother’s life. There’s been a noticeable change in him since last week. He has more energy and is more confident. I know and he knows that he will walk as you and I do one day. As cheesy as it may sound, we will look back to the time he saw Walkabout as what propelled him to full recovery. And for that sir, I am truly grateful.

Whoops, I guess I need a question somewhere in here. When you were in the process of filming Walkabout, did you ever expect that it would have the impact that it did on so many people?

Re: How Walkabout affected my family deeply

Dear ffhc,
    I had no idea of the effect any of our work would have, nor of the number of people that would eventually enjoy our show. I do know that inspiration can come from anywhere at any time and that lives can always be changed no matter the length or depth of the previous course. Your brother's story affected me deeply and I thank you for sharing it with me. It must be very difficult for a family to see a fellow so young enduring such pain and disappointment. At the same time it must be extraodinarily difficult for him to feel the weight of all that wanting; the pain and the desire of his friends and family...........their need to see him whole again.
    I hope that his progress continues and that he continues to find inspiration wherever it may happen to appear. There a lots of lessons in nature...............and there are angels among us. Please give him my best regards and tell him, if you will, that John Locke would be proud to know he gave inspiration to a boy who needed it.
    And thank you for the inspiration you've given me.

Terry O'Quinn
  • Expands the parameters of what TV drama is capable of (offering us something far better than moderm day cinema, especially in terms of plot and character development).

Surely the best episode in the series, and a breaththough installment in moden tv drama, presenting an indepth, charecter based story which has a crucial impact on thenarrative development of the series. Fortunately the metaphysical elements steer clear of pat mytsicism, instead focsing on very real human drama and the struggles inherent in such journeys (O'Quinn is a revelation in this cpacity). Just enthrawling television, and the springboard to 'Lost's' greatness as a series.
  • A Locke episode [SPOILERS]

One again I love this series. Locke is one of the coolest characters because he comes from such a sad past. The whole episode you see him in his flashbacks being put down by other people and then at the very end of the episode you see that he was in a wheelchair. That blew me away. I love this show.
  • School of Locke

Mr Mysterious gets an episode all to himself and what an episode it is! John Locke, who hadn't done much before this episode, suddenly becomes one of the most intriguing characters on the island in Walkabout, a powerful and dramatic hour which is easily one of the best episodes of the season.

We see flashbacks of Locke's last few days before landing on the island. He works in a boring office job, is bullied by his work colleagues, is deeply in love with a woman he calls on a chat line and is planning a trip to Australia.

Locke evolves so much in this episode. Unlike Kate's flashbacks in Tabula Rasa, we end up genuinely caring for Locke and sympathizing with his story. I first imagined Locke as somebody extremely important with a very powerful job and a big reputation. How wrong I was. He is a lonely man who plays board games on his lunch break. He has fallen for a woman he talks to on a phone sex hotline. And he is in a wheelchair. I was expecting the twist right from the beginning of the episode but I was still somehow shocked. The miracle he told Walt about was that he regained the use of his legs when he woke up on the island. It adds another layer of mystery to this, obviously supernatural, island.

The island storyline is also exciting. The opening moments, where the sleeping survivors see wild boars eating the corpses in the crashed plane, is extremely tense. Here the writers add another animal to the bizarre zoo they're creating on Lost.

The character development was also perfect in this episode. Sun had to look after Walt whilst Vincent went away and the scenes between the two very different people were hilarious, in particular Walt's response to what she said to him in her native language, "uh, yeah, whatever". You can see that Jack is struggling being the leader and it's understandable. His scenes with Rose were heartbreaking and L. Scott Caldwell shows more talent than some of the regulars in a role which was underused throughout the first season. Charlie and Hurley trying to catch fish was one of the many funny moments in the episode, which also included more Boone/Shannon squabbling, which was one of Walkabout's highlights.

Walkabout is much better than the Kate-centric Tabula Rasa and is one of the standout's of season one.
  • Awesome.

The fuselage is burned after it is raided by a group of wild boars. Locke successfully goes hunting for boar. Locke encounters the monster, but he does not tell anyone about this. In flashbacks, it is revealed that he was in a wheelchair before the plane crash and healed after the crash. Ah, the days they ran away from wild boars, I miss those days! I love they way Locke is made out to liik like a weirdo in the frist season, it's so cool. I love Michael, he is so funny, one of my favourite characters in season one. I also love Charlie, the best character on the whole show, he is so funny, and when him and Hurleya re fishing it's too good!
  • The episode that established Lost as more than "that weird show".

So much happens in this episode. We learn that Locke's full name is John Locke, putting all the theorists in a flutter. We also learn that Locke is a hunter. Who is this man? It turns out he's an office drone who was crippled right up until the plane crash. How was he crippled? We won't learn that until much, much later. Anyway, the monster comes back in this episode, and Locke "sees into the eye of this island". Apparently, what he saw was "beautiful", but we still don't know what he saw. The big reveal, where we learn Locke's "condition" is the first great flashback twist. Terry O'Quinn should have won that Emmy for this episode.
  • Locke scores bigtime with one of my favourite episodes.

With episode number 4 entitle "Walkabout" it really is the first episode where all the characters are cool with eachother and used to eachother. It also really is the first episode where we really start to learn who Locke is.

Before this episode Locke was the weird guy who sat out in the rain. What with him not saying anything to anyone (except Walt) and the first thing he says to all the other castaways is "It's boar." From that moment on you knew he ould be the weird guy, but also mad cool.

Even when he's packing his knives he stays iselated from everyone elso, until the truly need his help. Locke's flashback in this episode was my second favourite (my favourite being his second flashback). He acts so cool and wise on the Island, but in his flashback he's no better then the average person. Locke being the only one brave enough to face the monster, i guess he really does think it's all fate.

Lock- This is, this is my destiny, I'm suppose to do this damnit! Don't Tell Me What I Can't Do! Don't Tell Me What I Can't...

LOST
  • Probably the best indicator of what this show would be like after the pilot. Spoilers abound.

I had trouble deciding what to rate this episode. When I first saw this episode (thankfully unspoiled), I originally gave it an eight. Of the episodes Lost made, this one probably got the most discussion aside from the Pilot. This is due to the surprise twist, revealing that Locke was in a wheelchair before the flight. I definitely thought Locke’s back story was excellent, but there were other elements that didn’t please me to that level. However, after rewatching it several times and hearing the DVD commentary (if you don’t have the season 1 DVD, pick it up), I have come to appreciate the episode on a technical level, both in the script and production, so much as to upgrade my original rating.

Terry O’Quinn, as Locke, is one of Lost’s most valuable assets. Up to this point Locke was the most mysterious of the castaways, but it was clear that he had some connection to the island. Hurley, as the voice of the audience, asks “Who is this guy?” It is a question that has intrigued the audience and the delivery lived up to that. We learn about Locke at a pivotal point in his story, as he decides to finally integrate himself in the tribe.

The first problem that allows Locke to step up comes when wild boars invade the camp because of the smell of the rotting corpses. Like last episode, how to deal with the bodies is another step in their shift into island life. Nothing was done about the bodies because they assumed a rescue boat would arrive and take care of that. Now they have corpses cooking in the sun for several days, upsetting the survivors as well as attracting wildlife. Jack knows that the bodies must be burned so as not to attract animals to dug graves (interestingly, no other person who has died has been burned). His attitude is rather callous and offends the spiritual Sayid and Claire, but he doesn’t protest a memorial service for those who died. Knowing what I know, Jack’s behavior isn’t a surprise, but it does raise questions for those who don’t know why he would act this way.

We must remember that only four days have passed since the crash, so surviving is top priority. Their second dilemma comes as their food dwindles to a bag of airplane peanuts and those certainly won’t stay fresh in a tropical environment with no refrigeration. Now Locke has the opportunity to integrate himself into the group. He can solve both food problems and the boars in one fell swoop. Before the crash, Locke lived a life of fantasies and adventures, and now all the information he’s collected about survival can be put to good use.

Claire’s efforts to find information on the literally lost castaways drops a hint about Sayid’s past and his reason for wanting to get off the island. This is the first instance of seeing the soft side of Sayid, which often clashes with the tough Republican Guard Sayid. Some have criticized the producers decision to add scenes to episodes afterward, saying it only adds to the belief that they’re making it up as they go along, but the moment of character development helps and that is what Lost is about.

Claire’s search and preparation of the memorial service also ties into her personal beliefs. As we learn later, Claire is very spiritual, often more towards new age spirituality and this episode helps establish that fact about her character.

Michael’s behavior is consistent for someone who just became a father. We wouldn’t buy it if he suddenly became a good father overnight. He wants to gain Locke’s favor, thereby gaining his son’s, but leaving him with the woman he saw partially naked and as far as he knows, unable to speak English, is a questionable parenting choice. This interaction does show us how resourceful Sun is, creating a toothbrush from some plants.

Shannon and Boone fight again, where once again she’s told she’s useless. Boone challenges her to catch a fish, but what she does is use Charlie’s crush on her (which does throw off the vibes he has towards Claire) to get what she wants. And she thinks she did it. Obviously since it is only night 5 by the end of the episode, the characters are still being established so the arcs will work.

Now that the Marshal has died, Jack is now helping Rose, who has been quiet since she was revived in “Pilot, Part 1”. Her thoughts are on her husband, but unlike Jack, she has faith that her husband is still alive. She is very similar to Locke in this respect.

What really shakes Jack is the odd apparition. It has been five days at this point, and the writers are certainly conscious that this leadership has been taking a toll on Jack, as it will be explored in Jack’s flashbacks.

“Don’t tell me what I can’t do!” It has become an ongoing theme for Lost. It really emphasizes the frustration Locke feels in the wheelchair. Locke’s life before the flight was sad, like a contemporary Willy Loman. He was a loser, deceiving himself, being picked on by bullies at work and having his capability questioned. He had dreams of adventure and destiny, but reality kept him down. But on the island, it all changed. He is healed. It suddenly is very clear why Locke has so much invested in the island.

This is the first time a castaway has had direct contact with the monster without it leading in death. Of course this must’ve been difficult to stage. It’s too early to reveal the monster like just yet. One thing worth noting is that Terry O’Quinn was told that the monster was “the most beautiful thing [he’d] ever seen”. That explanation is awfully vague, as beauty differs. What was it that Locke found beautiful? Why did it spare Locke whereas it killed the pilot? It’s safe to assume that the monster killed the boar for Locke, but like his former disability, he isn’t likely to be sharing what happened with anyone else.

The script is a large reason why this episode is so highly praised among fans. This is thanks to writer David Fury, who had proved himself on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. There are so many things you pick up in the writing that were foretelling of the twist, but we never noticed them because Bender, Fury and O’Quinn thankfully underplay them. Locke was only seen sitting or lying down in the flashbacks. When Randy teases him about going on the Walkabout, we assume he’s doing it because it would be out of Locke’s element, not because he was disabled; Randy even emphasizes the phrase “on foot”. Later in the scene, Locke references a man without legs who was able to climb Everest. When he’s talking to “Helen”, there is a machine by the bed, which the commentary revealed was a device used to stimulate the muscles in his legs.

This revelation, like many on Lost, only brings up more questions, the obvious ones being how Locke was able to walk again and what caused him to be paralyzed initially. He could be in that wheelchair for a multitude of reasons, but they don\'t have time to detail. What is it about the island that reversed that cause? Such a shocking moment made some to declare this as the defining moment of the season for Lost and all of primetime. It is probably the most indicative episode of what Lost would become aside from the pilot. The Futon Critic dubbed Walkabout as the best television episode of 2004 and although I disagree, it is clear why some people believe that.
  • Best Television Episode of 2004 (the futoncritic.com).

No one says it better than one of the best critics in the game. So here is their review (from 'The Best TV Episodes of 2004):

No 1. "lost: walkabout"

Just a flat out flawless piece of writing, directing and acting as the backstory of the mysterious Locke (a wonderful Terry O'Quinn) is revealed. I don't know anyone who saw the closing twist coming and - wow - what a fantastic twist it was. Nothing is more exciting as a TV viewer than being genuinely surprised and "Lost" does that (and more) on a regular basis.
  • So far, this has been my favorite episode of Lost. So incredibly moving.

This episode made me both David Fury and Terry O'Quinn's bitch. Stunning ending.

My brother is a quadriplegic and the one thing I wish in life is for him to become better. To be able to walk again. This episode gave me a little bit of hope that yes, he will be able to walk again. To do all of the things that other boys do at his age. To live his life normally.

When Locke yelled at "Don't talk to me about fair!" I thought that was perfect. People complain about the disabled gobbling up money and privileged parking spaces, saying that it just isn't fair to them, so his dialogue was very realistic.

The best part though was the shot of the wheelchair being burned along with the fuselage and everything else. That's my brother's hope. To be able to just throw away all remnants of his disability.

Since this episode first aired, my brother has been able to walk over 400 feet in a walker. Miracles do happen.

Strengths
    -Opening flashback with Locke wiggling his toes in astonishment.
    -Great scenes between Jack and Rose.
    -Hilarious bit with Hurley and Charlie fishing.
    -Locke's flashback scenes. Great exchange between him and Randy in the break room.
    -Spectacular music. Best music of the series in this episode.
    -Felt so sad for Locke when it was revealed that Helen was just some woman he had met on a phone line. Great acting by Terry O'Quinn.
    -Locke being able to see the monster firsthand.
    -Loved Shannon's dialogue in this episode.
    -Perfect last scene and flashback. Perfect music along with it.
  • The first part of the backstory to my favorite character, John Locke, is revealed. And it's a doozy!

Of the multiple characters on the island, John Locke is the most cryptic. He says very little, but deep down he knows there is a reason everyone survived the crash.

This episode is the first to deal with Locke\'s backstory. He appears to be a lonely man who has a boring job in a box factory and who spends his nights talking with phone sex operators. He doesn\'t at all fit the profile of the tough hunter he has become on the island.

What is revealed at the end of this episode is such a surprise that it left my mouth wide open. It becomes a major point of the whole first season.

Overall, this is easily the best LOST episode to air so far.
  • Locke develops into one of the best characters on the island.

I loved this episode because it focused on Locke. All of the twists and turns regarding his past were incredible. I love how he always says "Don't tell me what I can't do". He is such a determined man who believes that you can do anything you want to.

When he showed everyone his knives, I literally jumped out of my seat because I was so happy. He is developing into one of the best characters. He is mysterious because of his past. Where did he get the knives? How does he know so much about the boars and hunting? Plus he is a badass.

He and Jack are definitely the two most important characters on the island. Followed closely by Kate and Sayid. They are the ones that are going to lead this group to survival.
  • This episode just proves that Locke is the best character on the show. Plus he's also the one of the best characters on TV period!

Locke is one of the best characters because of the mystery of his life and why he wants to be the leader of the island. This epsiode shows how depressing his life was before the crash. (Plus an injoke reference to the movie 'The Office') Terry O' Quinn does a great job with the acting in this show and I'm gald he's up for an Emmy. With this episode he deserves every bit of the Emmy.
  • Oustanding episode

This will definetely be remembered as one of the best episodes of the entire series. I had no idea Locke had a disability - much less that he used to be a parapalegic. The ending of the episode took me completely by surprise. I ended up telling all my friends about the episode the next day, and I thought about it for weeks. It really added a huge depth to the character of John Locke, and sets up his other flashback episodes nicely. After this episode, and even after the first season, we have no idea how he became paralyzed.

One of my absolute favorite TV episodes of all time.
  • We learn of Lockes secret and more fear of the machine is instilled within us.

This is another incredible episode where secrets are dropped and emotions flow. I give everyone episode I have seen so far a 10. This is my second time to see all the episodes and they still keep me on the edge of my seat. From wild "thangs' invading the camp to strange illusions of family, this episode got it going on!
  • when the survivors run out of food, locke decides to help them in a hunt for wild boar. and we find out that one of the survivors couldnt walk before they came to the island.

this episode is great as it introduces me and my sisters favourite character of this series. it reveals another mystery of the island(it has healing powers). we also see more of the monster. my favourite part of this episode is when locke throws the knife and reveals he is a hunter and also when we find out he was disabled before he crashed on the island. the funniest part of the episode was when sawyer said to jack "and you gave him his knife back" and also when hurley muttered "who is this guy" when locke opened a suitcase full of knives.
  • "This is destiny. This is destiny. This is my destiny. I'm supposed to do this, damn it! Don't ever tell me what I can't do, ever!"

Possibly the most famous words to come from the show, they also come from the show’s most enigmatic character. John Locke has been a mysterious, shady figure since the first time we saw him. He’s been helpful enough, but has never contributed to anything big the group tries to do. When this episode ends, all of our assumptions about him will have been obliterated, only to be replaced with a myriad of questions.

The episode is not all about Locke, however. Many of the characters that have simply been “that guy” begin to have their histories unraveled, and many new flashback windows open. Michael is one. He and Kate have a conversation about what he was doing in Australia. Many guesses were proven right this time, as he tells her that Walt has only been in his care for two weeks. It will be a long time before we get a Michael/Walt flashback, but these two characters will be some of the more dynamic of the bunch. Harold Perrineau is arguably the best actor of all fourteen, as he has acted just like a new father perfectly from the very first episode.

Shannon and Boone’s bickering once again explodes into “action”, in a dull but hilarious subplot. Determined to prove to Boone that she can fend for herself, Shannon tries to catch a fish. Of course, the only way she knows to fish is to get someone to do it for her. Since Charlie isn’t doing anything but heroin, she recruits him to help. The following scenes between Charlie and Hurley are extremely funny, as Dom Monaghan and Jorge Garcia make a great comedic pair (And if Billy Boyd had been paired with Dom…). It’s nice to get some comic relief, as the first four episodes of this series have been rather grim, with monsters ripping pilots to shreds, marshals dying, and polar bears getting shot. The relationship between Shannon and Boone is another that won’t be fully explored for a while, yet is interesting to watch. Shannon, though not very helpful, still does not warrant the verbal beating Boone is constantly giving her. The viewer can sense that there is something lying deeper in the siblings’ relationship.

Jack’s past is also illuminated a bit more this time around. Everyone is electing him leader in this episode-Claire tries to get him to read the names of the dead at the burning, and Boone thinks that Jack is the only one that can talk to Rose. Jack backs out of as many requests for his time as he can, showing that being the camp’s “president” is not on his to-do list. When he does go try and comfort Rose, we start to get a glimpse into his back story as well. He tells Rose that being a doctor is a family business, and as soon as he does, he noticeably shuts down. He also sprints into the jungle upon seeing a strange man. Obviously the man means something to him, but just what is not clear to the audience yet. Sayid also gets a bit of his own spotlight, when we see the photos Claire gives to him. The woman in them, just like Jack’s mystery guy, clearly is important to Sayid, and this will provide fuel for his upcoming flashback.

Of course, Locke’s story is the most important to the episode. The juxtaposition of Locke’s increasingly frustrating, pathetic flashbacks with the action on the island works perfectly. Every time the audience travels backwards with Locke we’re treated to everyone’s nightmare life, with a terrible, overbearing boss, no job satisfaction, etc. Yet, the cool, confident hunter figure we see on the island is completely different. The audience is left wondering what has happened to this guy to make him so sure of himself on the island, and it’s not until the very last flashback that we find out. Even though Locke’s call to the dial-a-date service was sad and moving, it was completely eclipsed by the final flashback in the travel agent’s office. Locke being thrown off the walkabout tour is bad enough, but the reveal that comes after is possibly the most shocking in Lost’s history. No one would ever have expected John Locke, the mighty hunter, bringer of boar, slayer of swine, to have been in a wheelchair. The most brilliant thing about the reveal, though, is the cinematography. The fact that there’s no slow crawl around the desk accompanied with a big gong sound makes the reveal all the more shocking. The audience is treated as if we’ve known this fact the whole episode, and we get on with an incredibly sad scene that still gets me after seeing it way too many times. The heart-wrenching music and the acting by Terry O’Quinn is the icing on the cake. O’Quinn’s strangled yell, which eventually fades to a whimper, is perfect for the scene. It’s also great to see his wheelchair, along with his old life, go up in flames.

Walkabout is one of the highlights, not only of Season 1, but of the entire series. The action, mystery, and character moments of this episode are amazing, and it propels the action for the rest of the season. With the introduction of Jack, Sayid, and Michael’s past we get the basis of flashbacks, and Jack’s man in the suit will lead to one of the most important discoveries of all. Definitely an awesome episode.
  • This episode masterfully and deeply describes just what kind of person John Locke is in just 40 minutes. Really something special.

This is one of the most beautiful episodes of any show. I love the theme, I love how they explain Locke so well after they cast a ominous shadow about him in the first few episodes.

Locke is awesome! and this episode is awe-inspiring!
    I also LOVE the music. Locke's Theme
  • We have more mysterious noises and animals on the beach at nights, more flashbacks as some more of the lead characters are introduced, more problems that crop up and seem to be solved or that the leadership skills of Jack is required.

Vincent's barking awakes the majority of the people in the beach, then we discover that there's a serious animalistic noise coming from the remains of the plane, some souls venture forward to find out what it is, only to turn around afterwards and run back out, followed by lots of baying.

The following morning, yet another fight is broken up, this time over the stash of peanuts. Mr Locke, Colonel as we find out from one of his flashbacks, throws a knife into the chair and explains about boars, about a tactic to hunt them and needs 3 volunteers, then he opens part of his case which shows off about 6 or so different knives.

Jack announces that all the dead will need to be burnt, some people say that is wrong and they should be buried, but logic wins through as the animals on the island will still be drawn to them, but this time they we just dig them up. Also, as Kate points out, if we burn them just before dusk, they the flames can also be used as a distress beacon.

Sayad explains to Kate that he will try to triangulate onto the previous french distress call, as for it to be going for 16 years means that there is a significant power source on the island, he believes it can be found. So Kate opts to go on the hunt in order to drop off a triangulate device.

The hunt for the boar has a little hiccup with a party member getting injured in the leg by his own knife. John Locke is determined to get the boar, even though Kate says he can't, he goes off with the attitude of saying, you can't tell me what to do. This was after another flashback on his own life, where he is confronted with his own past. He remembers the experience of a walkabout plan.

The doctor sits and chats to Rose, who has been sitting alone on a sand bank staring out into space, she lets him off of his promise to look after her until her husband returned from the bathroom. As they get up to start the fire, Jack sees a man standing in the distance wearing a suit.

Locke returns with a boar and the cremations start, complete with a brief reading of those passed. Then we have a flashback of Locke in a wheel chair in the walkabout office in Melbourne, it looks like the accident repaired some damage in his spine allowing him to walk once more, or at the least be more mobile than he was when he was in the wheelchair.
  • At first I was angry to see this episode was also chock full of flashbacks, but this was easily forgivable, seeing as Locke is a much more interesting character than Kate is.

The focus of Lost up until this point has been mostly on Kate. I have no idea why, because she is not very interesting. Plus, the writers made a serious mistake by not giving us anything to work with about her mysterious past. This time around, our mysterious friend John Locke gets the flashback treatment, and the Lost writers once again chose to not reveal everything to us, but they revealed just enough to make us anxious for more Locke related material.

Unlike last week's Tabula Rasa, this time around the flashbacks do not get in the way of the island story. In fact, they add to it. Most of the island related material is about Locke too, and the island story and the flashback story piggyback off each other to create a very unique narrative. The flashbacks aren't jsut there to let us know about Locke's past, they're there to enhance the story of Locke right now in the present.

Locke has been a mysterious character. His friendship with young Walt was very odd, and a little disturbing at first (and Walt's father Michael, who finally gets some screen time, seems to agree). Now it's revealed that he's brought knives on the plane, and is a skilled hunter. No one expected that...

Locke is a very depressing character. All through his flashbacks we see a lonely man who plays board games on his lunch break and befriends a phone sex operator. This hit me hard, because my life is in my friends, and if I were in Locke's situation, I'd be absolutely miserable. It adds a whole new layer to his bond with Walt.

The most important part of the episode as a whole is what it does for the style. The Pilot episode was a mix between mystery and character. last week's episode focused more on character, and left the mysteries, like the giant creature thing and the polar bear behind. Walkabout returns us to that mix of both that the Pilot had. If every episode is like that, then we've got a great show on our hands. The big idea here is that Locke has now seen (or at least that is implied) the mysterious island monster, and that he returned... alive and dandy. There is also another mystery: Jack has begun seeing a mysterious figure that apparently no one else can see.

This epsiode is going to be remembered as one that defined what Lost is. After watching this episode, you'll know whether you love it or hate it. The surprise at the end (in a flashback) is that Locke is actually confined to a wheelchair, which they hid brilliantly through his earlier flashbacks. They also had some amazingly interesting clues, such as the opening shot of the episode, Locke waking up after the plane crash, and staring at his feet. He realizes he can move them. This is ultimate proof that somethign really IS up with this island. It healed Locke, and now it let him see its mystery creature. This will hopefully develope into a staple plotline for the show.

FINAL SCORE: 9.6
    SUMMARY: A great balance of mystery and character development, and the first defining episode of the show.
  • Sheds some light on John Locke...

The episode starts well with a boar attack but from there it gets even better, the scene were John Locke finally gets notice by the survivours is awesome, the speech, the music, the knife the "Who is this guy?" it's a great scene. The hunting scenes are the best in this episode when it comes the island parts but then there is the flashbacks. Throughtout the series I have thought that the real time scenes are better than the flashback but sometimes flashbacks are just as good in this episode the flashbacks are the best, especially when you rewatch it and notice things, little clues to the conclusion of the episode. Oh and what a conclusion by the way totally didn't see it coming, it's wonderfully acted by Terry O'Quinn as he shouts the infamous catchprase "dont tell me what I can't do" and then the other conclusion were Locke wakes up on the beach and realizes that the island has healed him that the island is speacil. This remians to be one of the highlight episodes of the first season and even the entire series,
  • This episode was superb!!!

Contrary to the previous episode that focus on kate, this episode is superb.

It´s impossible to focus on every character and make great episodes, since not everyone has spectacular secrets that can make great cliffhangers and make the 40 minutes of an episode worthwhile.

The way the focused and show us John Locke and his connection to the island was very well done. His flashbacks seem simple and irrelevant, with tue casual drama. However, as the episode progressed, his story became much more interesting. Locke has a very unique view about what the island is. The twist at the end of the episode was very well done.

Now we have two more mysteries added, and the list continues to grow.

Now John Locke character is even more fascinating than he already was.
  • John has a big secret, and apparently so does the island... *SPOILERS*

In the first John centric episode, a shocking revelation is made: John was paralyzed from the waist down until the moment the plane crashed on the island. Which means the island seems to have not only horrific monsters, but also strange healing powers. What’s causing them? And why was John paralyzed in the first place? Hopefully we’ll find out, but John doesn’t seem to care. As long as he has the use of his legs, he has faith in the island.

Back at camp, a family of boars pays a visit to the rotting bodies inside the fuselage. Jack decides they have to burn it. Meanwhile, John makes it his mission to find the mother boar. Especially now that he can walk, John will do anything he wants, and he won’t let others tell him what he can’t do. After a possibly fatal attack, John returns with the boar. And Jack sees a man in the ocean, and again in the jungle. Who is he? And why can only Jack see him?

Walkabout is an important episode for the development of John – he’s become extremely strong-willed and it will show through as the season progresses.
< 1 2 3 4