Lost

What Kate Did

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 30, 2005 on ABC

• Spooky

This was a really good episode.

It is hard to tell where this show is leading because one minute, it's about a research facility, next thing you know it's all spiritual and supernatural. I was so ready to see the complete tape that I was disappointed about what was on there, until Michael started "chatting". The video says that the computer in station three can be used to connect with the outside world, but using any computer to communicate can cause another incident.

The tapes were placed in specific places for the fact of testing the survivors. On an island that size, it can't be coincidence. If I heard correctly there is one more station, which can be used to communicate with the outside world. My guess is that it is occupied by the others.

When Michael was typing I had no idea what was going to happen. They really threw us for a loop there. Is it Walt, or is it another test. Trying to see how far Michael will take it.

That was all of the experimental stuff. Spiritually there was Wayne. The guy that Kate killed. He was "possessing" Sawyer, or so Kate believed. She thought she was crazy until Sawyer saw the same horse.

I had one minor problem with the episode, sort of odd to be honest. The part where Kate pushes the Marshall out of the car and takes off, and sees the horse. Why would she be so shocked to see a horse in the middle of the country? Bad writing, or acting, not really sure. But that's all. Til next week.
  • Oh man!!!

Been waiting to get back into the mystery of the island and the main characters.

Fianlly we learn a little something about the hatch or atleast we are teased a little something about the hatch. When finally watching the entire video i didn't think it told us that much until michael started talking. It was amazing!

Still confused about the sawyer possession with Kates Stepdad. Second of all I'm confused as to why Kates mom and father would turn her in like that. I guess thats all a part of kate we don't know.

Oh man i knew Kate was capable of a lot but i didn't think she would go so far as to do that.
    One of the two biggest surprises of the show. Second was - "Dad?" I don't know did anyone else see that coming. Man that threw me off.

The horse adds more mystery to the island which i think is what has been missing the passed couple episodes. Lately it has been more character and love story and lost the island a little.

This episode seems to bring us back to home to what we fell in love with about this series. Can
    t wait to see next weeks ep. I am trippin
  • I yelled at my television!

I\\\'ve read lots of Lost theories and heard some really crazy stuff, but tonight\\\'s episode really got me thinking. I see a division forming among the survivors. One group: Sayid, Locke, Ana-Lucia, Jack, Charlie, Kate (now) and (until recently) Shannon have all been seeing and hearing unusual things. All of them are/were emotionally volatile and I believe this relates to the \\\"sickness\\\" referred to by Desmond in episode 2x03. He was very surprised that no one in their group was sick yet, could it be the symptoms are mental not physical? I also think the drug and injector that Desmond took were to prevent outside forces from influencing the bunker operators. Without this neural booster shot, I suspect there will be some repercussions down the road.

Jin got lucky, Jack got snogged, and Sawyer is up and walking again. Michael took in a movie and then instant messaged Walt. I think Walt is in one of the other 4 bunkers, plugged into a neural network that covers the island, powered by the electromagnetic generator in the bunker.

Bottom line: I yelled at the t.v. when it ended so abruptly. I can\\\'t wait until the next episode. I haven\\\'t been so excited about a series since Twin Peaks aired for the first time quite a few years ago!

LOST Rules!
  • Amazing Ep. What else can you say? Only thing is Eko seems a little strange. Kate likes who again? Sawyer or Jack. I'm confused. Sawyers back. I love that SOB.

Wow. How can't you like this ep. Michael talks to Walt....maybe.

Eko seems a little weird still. For some reason I think he's somehow connected to the others. There's just something about him that I can't put my finger on. I mean, I like the guy and hope he isn't, but theres some secretive about him. Where was he keeping that book? Did any other rear passengers know about it.

Jack gets a smooch and a half from Kate. Whoa, was that unexpected or what. But then she says she likes Sawyer, but doesn't because of Wayne. I'm a little confused on that.

Sawyer's back. I love his great SOB slogan. When I heard those words from his mouth it made me laugh my arse off.

It's getting real interesting. This is a hate love show, I love it because its great, but hate it because it keeps you wanting more. That's not a bad thing though.

• Show getting back to basics

Yes, the return to the more supernatural side of the island is exciting.

However, when comparing this season to last season, and thinking about how little we've seen of claire, i realized a major difference... lately, each show becomes so "centric" on a couple characters that the other "stars" only pop up to say a couple lines, instead of actually having a role in the show.

I realize it's a large cast, but i enjoyed some of the episodes from the first season that incorporated meaningful segments from most characters.
  • Bottom Line: Amazing episode. I physically cannot wait until January.

Alright, let's clear up one thing first. I know I gave the last episode a 10, and the one before that a 9.9. I know that giving so many high scores may make it seem like I hand them out all the time, but let me tell you - that was one amazing episode, and it deserves every point.

The episode centered around Kate, who we haven't seen much of since the season started. It was nice to get some classic interaction going between Kate and the other characters, and it made things seem like the simple good old days.
    Well maybe they weren't so simple, but you know what I mean.

As the title of the episode blatently points out, we get to finally find out what Kate did to deserve a life on the run. I can tell you that it was both worth the wait, and really adds another whole layer of depth to an already deep character. The flashbacks were really good, and it was cool to see our old friend the Marshal again, who I'm sure we haven't seen the last of (we still need to see how he set up the plane in the bank and tipped her off).

The rest of the episode was a combination of life after the merging of the two groups, and the mysteries of the hatch. We get to see Shannon's funeral, as well as Ana-Lucia continue to be tormented by her actions. We also get, in my personal opinion, Hurley's funniest line of the series ("so... Rose's husband is white... I didn't see that one coming").

As I mentioned above, we get to see the mysteries of the hatch come into play once more. We get several clues to hold us over the agonizing wait of the next 42 days until the next episode (hey... one of the numbers). We learn that there are blast doors set up in the hatch, which undoubtedly has something to do with the "incident". More importantly, we learn a very important message that may have come a moment too late, ending in a cliffhanger that I certainly did not see coming, but cannot wait to see the conclusion of.

Overall, just like the last episode, this episode had it all. There was great humour (Hurley, Sawyer, Charlie), great emotion (Kate's story, Shannon's funeral), great suspense (the last minute of the episode had my heart beating so fast I thought I'd die), and great character interactions (who else thinks that Locke and Eko rule?). The creators of Lost are on a role, one that I certainly hope continues.

Bottom Line: Amazing episode. I physically cannot wait until January.

(Speaking of January, look out for my Lost site launching the same day as Lost comes back, January 11th, I'll post a link then!)
  • Finally, Lost gets back to what attracted me in the first place

I've been slamming Lost pretty hard for several episodes now. My main complaint has been that the story has focused on the inter-relationships and backstories of the survivors rather than on the mysteries of the island. This episode breaks that pattern.

Also, let me stress here that I actually see the long hiatus as a very, very GOOD thing. There won't be another episode until January 11 (I believe). Somewhere I heard or read (possibly on the season 1 dvd) that they film about 7 episodes ahead of what we see on tv. So, though there have been lots of complaints about the current direction of the show, the next several episodes are always already filmed and complete (too late for the writers to respond to the opinions of their viewers).

Now, however, the writers have to have heard their fans' complaints and they have a nice long break to do something about it (assuming they are working on the show during the hiatus that is). Hopefully, Lost will come back stronger and a much better show than the last several episodes.

Ok...that out of the way...

The "ghost-horse" for lack of a better term was the exact sort of surreal imagery I've been missing this season. It reminded me of when they found the polar bear or the French transmission. It was an item completely out of place on this supposedly "untouched-by-humans" island. I finally found myself once again saying, "Whoa...what the hell is THAT all about?" The horse is apparantly either symbolic of Kate's father or is actually him in a reincarnated form (or something). But the island seems to be what makes his/its presence possible.

Sawyer being "possessed" by Wayne's "spirit" was a nice touch as well. Is this a place where the dead have found ways to communicate with the living? Is that what the whispers are? Is that what the image of Jack's dead father was? Is the message on the computer coming from a living breathing Walt? Or his "spirit?"

By the way, seeing the word "Dad?" pop up on the computer was another "whoa!" moment. I loved it! I've been missing shockers like this for some time now. And the communication takes place just as they discover that they shouldn't use the computer for communication. GOOD! I hope Dharma's experiment comes crashing down and we finally get to see more of whatever it was all about.

Excellent episode. My only real complaints are that the Kate back story filled a bit too much of the episode and that Claire is still seemingly "lost" from the script. BRING BACK CLAIRE!

• The horse.

This was defenetley a great episode. Only thing i want to mention here is about that horse. It seems to me that some how that horse was meant to jump in front of the car Kate and the Sheriff were in. Perhaps she was meant to escape from the Sherrif so that she can end up on the island. Perhaps that is why she sees the same horse on the island. Something to think about
  • Better

I think that overall this ep was better than the previous ones, but not up to the standard they had set in season one. The pacing seemed a bit off - it started out suspensefully, but seemed to slow down as the episode went on. Throwing in a shock here and there isn't really suspense-building. There are interesting parts, but they don't seem to add up to a satisfying whole.
    The story of Josiah can be found in 2 Kings - Josiah began his reign at age 8 (children, Walt?) and, interestingly, lost his life in a battle against the Pharaoh Neco of Egypt. If there is supposed to be some parallel to Eko (Eco?). Is that why he delivers every line like it's a pronouncement?
  • boring episode. Great ending.

Kinda boring episode. Nothing interesting happened for a looong while. The kate flashbacks were nice but what happened on the island wasn´t.

Things started to get interesting at the end when they saw the film and michael chatted on the cpu...other than that it was 35 minutes of boring stuff. No wonder lost is losing viewers, crap like this won't help stop that.

As usual the cliffhanger save the episode but on a whole i just fell asleep, only to wake up when the flashbacks occured.
  • We find ot what Kate did.

What I like about this episode the most was that there were no coy moments. The question of what Kate did was in the opening sequence and the action didn't let up. Once again, the writers answer questions and still leave more questions. Kudos for Jin and Sun getting some "quality" time.
  • Overall, this episode finally provided the answer to many questions about Kate, but in that muddled process, it came somewhat short of the edgy expectations that previous episodes had generated.

Defying expectation can be a tricky business. When writing for a series that has been lauded for complex storytelling and character development, one might be fooled into thinking that answers can be simpler than they appear. The producers of “Lost”, in the most recent podcast (a truly useful fount of information and promotion), indicate that they felt it was time to address Kate’s past and put everything on the table.

It’s not that Kate’s original crime is somehow disappointing. As predicted, she killed her father, and her mother (the primary victim) was unwilling to see that it was a necessary evil. But it might be said that the writers wanted to soften the story a bit from what was originally suggested. “Born to Run” hinted at a far more abusive situation than was revealed in this episode, and perhaps that is why the revelation turned out to be so lackluster.

It’s entirely possible that the writers were going for something more subtle. There are elements introduced in this episode that clarify Kate’s interest in Jack and Sawyer, after all. Kate loves Jack for everything that she saw in Tom and sees in Jack. At least, she feels as though she should love Jack. But that’s because she’s drawn more to Sawyer. Unfortunately, Sawyer is far too similar to the kind of man who represented everything she hates.

Imagine how the hints in “Born to Run” might have intersected with the information in this episode. For years, Kate might have been abused by her step-father, with her mother taking physical abuse and making excuses. Kate might have been trapped. Then, learning that her step-father was in fact her biological father might have been a trigger for true violence. Her actions would have been more understandable.

Without the personal component, Kate’s motivations are harder to grasp. The implication is that Kate was not, in fact, justified in her actions. Kate unearthed the truth about Wayne and her mother, and that was simply enough to drive her to pre-meditated murder. Frankly, that’s not a very compelling argument, and it certainly doesn’t engender sympathy. This is where that subtlety question comes in: at what point is enough enough? When does murder become justified? And was Kate’s “father” correct in saying that there was something dark and violent inside Kate that allowed her to step over that line when others wouldn’t?

In the end, the love triangle is exactly where it was before. Jack is still the unfortunate embodiment of all the things that Kate loved about Tom, but with all the pesky non-Tom shortcomings. Kate still sees him as the chance to break a cycle she has worked up in her head. Sawyer is still the embodiment of all the things she hates but can’t seem to avoid. Thematically, Jack still represents the likely source of Kate’s redemption, and in turn, Kate is still the one likely to show Sawyer a better way.

Two elements exist within the narrative that could tie all of this personal drama to the island’s more unusual properties, however. The first is the easiest to dismiss: Sawyer’s apparent “channeling” of Wayne. It’s not at all hard to rationalize this. Kate was thinking about Wayne, running her past through her mind again and again, and so she was more than likely to interpret Sawyer’s feverish mutterings as a message from the grave. Transference, indeed!

But then there’s the horse. The very real horse, which seemed to know Kate. A horse that really shouldn’t be on the island. There’s simply no easy way to explain it other than to suggest that Kate has a way with animals that she doesn’t recognize. What the writers were trying to say with the horse is not entirely clear, other than the fact that seeing the horse further triggered Kate’s memory dump.

Thankfully, the writers don’t leave the entire episode to the exploration of Kate’s confused heart. There’s also the Locke/Eko interaction, which is far more intriguing. As predicted, Locke and Eko do not work off the same page. Eko seems to have Locke worked out in a matter of moments: Locke loves to mistake coincidence for fate. Eko, on the other hand, takes a fairly rational and analytical approach to his religious mysticism.

So where Locke sees the “orientation film” as something of a sign from his island gods, Eko knows it to be the work of man. And as such, Eko clearly does not attach some vast importance or significance to the hatch and its broader context. Eko may ultimately agree with Locke’s approach (continuing to follow the instructions in the film), but the philosophies differ substantially. Eko seems poised to challenge every one of Locke’s assumptions, and that ought to lead to serious and passionate debate in future episodes.

In that respect, Eko sits squarely between Jack and Locke on the “faith vs. reason” continuum. Jack is very much the pragmatic leader, to a fault. Would he be willing to consider a religiously-motivated interpretation of events? Locke, of course, gives every moment a mystical significance, so long as it fits within the point of view that leaves him as High Priest of the Island. Eko, on the other hand, seems to live within his religious convictions, while also approaching situations from a pragmatic point of view. While Eko will certainly clash with Locke over how to interpret events on the island, he will also challenge Jack’s desire to leave faith or belief out of the equation.

From a “big picture” perspective, there’s also Michael’s apparent conversation with Walt via the computer. A number of explanations could be offered, but the most obvious centers on the long-held assumption that the Others are, in fact, the remnants of those who began and maintained the Dharma Initiative. If the whole island was meant as a complex experiment, then telling people not to use the computer for communication with the outside world would be an obvious part of that social experiment. Any communication attempts or triggers would come from the Dharma Initiative personnel as a test; if Walt is being protected by the Others, kept from being part of the grand experiment in social conditioning, then he would have access to the computer network.

That is the more rational explanation: that the prohibition has little or no actual meaning beyond the test protocol of the Dharma experiment. It supports the idea that there is, in fact, no “incident” that would result should the “numbers” not be entered. The question is whether or not Michael can identify networking infrastructure on the old equipment; it shouldn’t be that hard.

Certain key questions emerge: Why was the film broken into pieces and kept in different stations on the island? Are there other parts of the film scattered in other stations on the island? How does all of this play into the purpose of the island itself? And how does the Hanso Foundation relate to any of this, since the producers have endlessly hinted that it’s a huge part of the mythology?

As for the other characters, once again, they seem to be left to the background. Still, they are present, and they serve various functions. Most importantly, perhaps, Sayid is left to deal with Shannon’s death, which has led him momentarily to grief rather than rage. Ana Lucia, in relation to that, still cannot bring herself to integrate fully with the JackLocke Tribe. Their inevitable confrontation is thereby postponed, which makes sense.

Jin and Sun seem to have taken temporary residence in the Love Shack, which is good to see. Sun plays an important role in terms of Kate’s plot thread as well. Kate has the chance to avoid her own issues by letting Sun take care of Sawyer. Sun is, essentially, her excuse to keep running. When Kate chooses to dismiss Sun and take care of Sawyer herself, she is taking an important step in owning her past and what it means to her.

One odd scene takes place between Jack and Hurley. Hurley essentially tells Jack that he’s working out his anger with Sawyer by taking on Sawyer’s job functions with a dose of resentment. That’s all well and good, but is he really the character to be making that observation? It felt like little more than a chance to remind the audience that Hurley had been in a mental hospital. Maybe it was as simple as the fact that Libby, the more logical choice, wouldn’t know the history between Jack and Sawyer, but that could have been worked out.

For all that it covered a lot of distinctly second season issues, this felt more like one of the first season episodes. Elements of the big picture were advanced, however incrementally, while Kate’s personal issues were once again on the table. Had the episode dealt entirely with Kate and her past, then the lack of complexity might have made this a disappointment. However, the Eko/Locke scenes alone were worth the time spent, and while some of the elements were vexing, the story moved forward.
  • That was it?

Well, we know all about Kate, now, don't we? That was it? She's "White trash" at heart and Sawyer truly is her soulmate? Frankly, they could have summed up Kate's background in ten minutes or so and left the rest of the episode to the much more interesting developments surrounding the missing film clips. Sure, they arranged it so they could dribble it out slowly over the next few episodes, but that only makes things more irritating once you realize we'll have to wait for those episodes to come after the "Christmas break". Another mystery within a mystery within a surprise. Ho humm.
  • Had its highs and lows.

7.1
    Okay...Lets put the good stuff out of the way. Ecko - Locke interaction promises tons. Hurley seems to be more interesting than we have been led to believe. Ana Lucia had less on screen time (Why doe sit feel like the quality of the episode is inversely proportional to Ana Lucia's on screen time?). The computer and the Dharma project has become more intriguing. Michael may go out to seek Walt, showing some interaction with the others.

Now the bad...Kate's story was absolute filler. First, it was unnecessary, since while we did learn about her past, it did not in any way affect our judgment of her character. We all expected something like this to have happened. We always knew she was someone trying to be good, but with an evil part hidden away somewhere. I will agree though, it helped us understand why she could not bring herself to love Sawyer. But why spend 45 minutes showing us why she was finding it difficult to love Sawyer, only to have all those difficulties disappear at the end of the episode? Besides, does the charm of Lost lie in the relationships between the characters (I mean their love affairs) or in the altercations between them and their responses to the island and its many mysteries? The writers have to start doing something to resolve the issues at hand. Whenever they feel they are losing the audience, they raise another question without answering any of them. I am not against new twists, and questions, but at least give some answers, even if they may prove to be false in the end.

But at least this episode advanced the storyline. I think it bodes well for the future,esp since it seems like the next episode is gonna be on Ecko...Woot Woot!!!
  • Kate-centric episode. Kate believes that her dead father is being channeled through Sawyer. And Eko reveals something interesting about the training film.

A very interesting episode. Kate's crime in this episode is finally revealed. I found it was less than exciting (I was hoping she was a serial killer or something). The horse accident was very symbolic. Nearly the same thing happened in the plane. They get into an accident and Kate gains her freedom. On a side note I just want to tell everyone what kind of an actress Evangline Lilly was before J.J. Abrams hired her. I recognized her as a Canadian in the pilot. Up here in Canada she had the job of being an actress on one of those phone dating services. You know the ones "are you looking for a good time but you don't want to go into bars." Yeah she was one of those girls. Flopping around on her couch and smiling into a phone, constantly wiping the hair out of her eyes. I must say her acting skills have been improved a lot with this show. But I digress.

I must say that Hurley is being written to be the most relatable character on the show. He says exactly what the audience is thinking. For exapmle: "So, Rose's husband's white. Didn't see that one coming." That's exactly what I said.

I think this is one of the first episodes in a long time that all the main (living) cast members were in thats a big thing.

The film strip thing was pretty surprising although I don't understand why it was taken out in the first place. Oh well likely we'll fing out in a years time or something.

I'm happy for Locke now he has an equallystrange person to speak to about strange ideas and concepts. Althoguh Eko was a bit off about Josiah finding the New Testament, probably Josiah didn't find the entire New Testament including the portion about himslef. But no bother its barely a mistake.

So the horse thing. I guess my theory was wrong I thought it was Walt bringing the Animals to reality but now Kates memories are becoming physical. Oh well it's sometimes better not to think about the mysteries of this show.

ABC is absolutely killing me with their new promotion thing. Now they extend Lost 4 minutes longer than is necassary just so Invasion has a better lead in. And I've been missing the last four minutes ever since they started doing this. Also what will happen when they try to Sindicate the show and it won't fit into the alloted time, their really screwwing themselves with this.

All in all a good episode. Although it's what I've come to expect from Lost.
  • what Kate did...

This ep was an important. It just didnt really make sense with the whole kissing scene, we all know Kate admires Jack, but maybe she kissed him to get the \"good\" out of him since she has the \"badnes\" from her real biological father Wayne. Also what the hell was michael doing typing on that damn computer? I was like nooooO!! dont press the button the button is bad!!!
  • As nice as it was to learn what Kate did, what's with the horse?

Okay, so Kate killed her birth father because he was "bad". Sorry to hear that. But what's with the horse?!?! I love this show, but every week it's getting more and more ridiculous. First the polar bear, then Jack's father, then Walt, now a stinking black horse who saved Kate from doing time for her dad's murder!!! Geez, this show better get to the point real quick because I'm losing interest.
  • Heck YES!

This episode was about Kate's background. The flashbacks werent all that bad and shorter than usual. Saying that, theres more story to the island. The film in the bible that Mr. Eko found was very clever. Then at the end with Michael.
    Message: Hello?
    Message: Who are you?
    Michael: I'm Michael. Who are you?
    Message: Dad?
    Holy crap, could that be Walt???
    We'll have to see the next episode i guess, it looks good. This is going to have Eko's flashbacks which I want because he is my favorite character of Season 2. He reminds me of Locke. Both are men of faith. I cant wait!!
  • Best episode of the season bar none!

Finally, this is the kind of episode that got me hooked on Lost in the first place. Episodes have been taking a dip lately but this one just stepped up the pace again. Often other episodes include loads of unnecessary travel between important events, but this one really was exciting from beginning to end without having the tempo slip down. Thank you for geting my hopes up again, and now I\'m only sad as I have to wait 6 weeks until the next episode!
  • More of Kate pasts is revealed.

6.9
    Kate is looking after Swayer then in some sort of trance he asks her "Why did you kill me Kate"?

Kate is shocked to hear this, because it takes her back through the years of when she killed her biological father, whom she hated.

I figured out Kate's past from the first season, that she killed her step dad. But, what blow me away was how she did it.....bombing the house....brilliant.

Kate also kissed Jack, which in my view was very tastless, and not half the kiss that she and Sawyer had.

The episode also showed us a lost reel of the video tape in the hatch, that Mr Eko had in his possession. Micheal was contacted through the computer by Walt or someone possing as Walt.

Overall the best episode so far of the season. Although, it lacked in many areas, because the show is becoming crap, it was the best of the rest.
  • Thats what she did?

I always wandered what Kate did in her past that got her in trouble with the law. We knew this:

1. She did something that her mother is afraid of her.
    2.She robbed a bank
    3. She got the person she loved killed

But we knew she did something before all those and we learned she is a killer/arcinist. I didnt see that coming, I thought her crime would have been a case of nice girl hanging with a crowd since she seems very nice to be a killer. But as always expect the unexpected. Maybe in another flashback episode we will learn on what her step-father did so bad to her mother that Kate had to kill him.
  • I think I know the plot of whole show!!! I didnt come up with it my self, but i wished i had.

Here's what The person that wrote this thinks of the plot of the series:
    That there is a magnetic field that surrounds the Island, which makes the Island and the experiments (?) on the Island invisible to the outside world. Flight 817 crashed into that magnetic field because it was so far lost already, it stumbled upon it by coincidence, and now they are all a part of an experiment that has run amok. There is an illness that has taken over the others that was released as part of the experiment. No one is watching them.
    This is the clincher - every time they push the button, they are keeping the shield up and keeping the Island invisible. If they would just not push the button, the Island would become visible and they could be saved. The whole show revolves around the button.

This really needs to be expanded to include the why's of the visions and coincidences on the island. I heard a podcast that said the show rips off Stephen King's the stand. .. so now all we need to do is watch all the episodes of lost so far, watch the minute details and watch all of stand and we will know the truth!!
  • Awwwww what a kind person Kate is taking care of this person... KABOOM what the hell?!

A good episode of Lost, one of the best this season, a good flashback story of what Kate did to be a fugitive, and more infomation about the hatch and a head-scratcher at the end, just the way Lost should be, I wish I could come up with a show half as good as this.
  • I always knew she commited a murder but i didn't guess it would end up like this.

being an obsessed jate shipper, I am very dissapointed that Jack end up offering Ana-Lucia some drink near the end of the episode. We learnt about what kate's crime is in this episode and Sawyer's healing fast ;) love it. best episode so far. There is also a mysterious black horse appearing in this episode. my guess is its with the polar bear. some kind of animal experiment gone wrong?
  • Average episode, good TV. (possible spoiler, though it's been mentioned several times here on this page already)

was another descent show, the show isn't about a mystery it's a character show, everyone knows that by now. No real suprises, (spoiler->) Kate blowed a person up, that's her thing I guess. While Hurley may still be my favorite character, Mr. Eko I think is a great new addition to the show, his character is a locke counterpart, and he was good in OZ.
  • We learn a little more about Kate, but the revelation about the movie was cool - and where's Walt?

Enjoyed this episode - although I wish Kate would make up her mind between Sawyer and Jack. I feel better about Kate's past - but it's cool to see the similarity between her, Sawyer (both killed their father) as well as Jack who had 'rat' on his dad due to performing surgery after drinking. I want to know more about the movie and it's significance and 'where is walt.

• Kate, too, has daddy issues. And Sawyer issues, and Jack issues.

I feel like Locke at the end of "Deus Ex Machina," when the light from the hatch window reaffirmed his faith in the island. This episode reaffirms my faith in 'Lost,' as it indicates that writers haven't abandoned the narrative that worked so well last season.

The episode does everything you should expect an episode to do: It moved plotlines forward, revealed morsels of information about the hatch and Kate's past, and gave all the major players some time in the spotlight. The secondary characters were again reduced to background noise, but honestly, who really cares what they're up to when the star players are doing so well?

So, what Kate did has finally been revealed. It wasn't surprising in the least, and I think casts an even greater shroud of ambiguity over her character, but the flashback scenes were quick, concise, and thus the best of the season. Her actions may have been predictable, but at least the writers no longer need to skate around the issue. How long it takes her to tell any of the other characters remains to be seen.

Was Wayne really using Sawyer to channel his anger at Kate? It's possible, as we've seen dead fathers come back in various other forms (Jack's apparition, for example). It could just as easily have been Sawyer deliriously questioning his own checkered past, leading Kate to hear what she wanted to hear. What can't be disputed is the horse - a very real horse. It shows an indisputable connection between the island and the outside world, the type of supernatural biggity-boo that's been missing so far this season. I was glad to see Kate confront her past by shooing Sun and trying to draw out Wayne. It's something that many of the other characters aren't yet willing to do, and shows a tremendous amount of growth for her. She may be closer to redemption than any of the others.

Sawyer finally woke up, and was disappointed to find they hadn't been saved. It's good to have him back; the show has experienced a notable decline in snarky sarcasm the last few episodes.

Most importantly, the episode reveals a good deal about the bunker. Michael points out blast doors in the ceiling, to protect from an explosion (or rather, I think, the mysterious sickness). He fiddles around with the electronic equipment, something I'm surprised Sayid never got around to.

Then there's Locke and Eko. Their scene at the table, with Eko revealing the missing piece of film, was one of the best of the season. The relationship between the two of them seems more tenuous than I first expected. "Don't mistake coincidence for fate," Eko warns Locke. To a point, I think his rational approach may be right. Locke is capable of finding mystical meaning in just about everything. But at the same time, Eko seems to be ignoring the incredible number of coincidences that have happened to bring the two pieces of tape together. Locke and Eko both had to survive the plane crash, survive attacks by monsters and Others (when so many of their companions have died), discovered the bunkers, found the tape in the bunkers, and (in Eko's case) thinking it important enough to carry across the island. And that's a few of the coincidences relating to just these guys. Too account everything that's happened to coincidence is just as misguided as accounting it all to fate.

I still expect to Locke and Eko to keep close. Their views may not align perfectly, but their personalities are too much alike (and too different from many of the other characters) for them to become adverseries. I more expect them to challenge each other's perspectives, for mutual benefit.

The cliffhanger at the end was killer. Apparently the computer can be contacted from another on the island, but can't initiate the contact itself. Is it really Walt on the other side? Possibly. Is it the Others? Probably. The popular theory among many viewers is that it's all part of the Dharma Initiative's behavioral experiment, but that seems too easy to me. There's too much danger and too many supernatural occurrences - murderous monsters, murderous Others, connections with the outside world - for this to just be some academic experiment. That may have been all it was at one point, but it sure as hell isn't now.
  • Kate is indeed a cold-blooded killer, Eko knows more than he's saying and another computer on the island?

First, while I think this was a great and revealing episode, the whole Kate backstory trigger was unclear on my first viewing. It took me a while to realize she thought Sawyer was channeling White. Once that mad sense, her backstory triggers made more sense when the horse or Sawyer was around her.

The big thing in this episode is the film fragment. Why was it cut out? Who cut it out? Why was it on the other side of the island in the Arrow bunker hidden in a book? The whole thing about not using the computer for anything other than the numbers was odd.

Then after all that ominous blather about using it only for the numbers, Michael starts chatting on it? Ok first... remember Locke tried typing and nothing happened... the keyboard was dead until the 4 minute alarm. Next Michael is looking over the equipment... why? That stuff was built when he was a kid most likely... reel to reel data tapes? I mean come on. Like he's gonna know what to do with any of it? Then suddenly there's a beep and the word 'Hello?' on the screen and the ketboard suddenly works and he can freely chat at the system carrot? Hmmmmm.

What was really cool is that apparently it was Walt. this means yet another bunker somewhere on the island with another computer.
    Oo I just thought of something... maybe Walt's in an underwater station? That would explain the cable that Sayid found going into the ocean on the beach, the Dharma logo on the shark that attacked Sawyer on the raft, and the fact that Walt is always soaking wet whenever anyone sees him... hmmm the thought plickens...

Till next time.
  • Hands down, the best episode of this season. I must admit that I have been disappointed for most of this season but after watching this episode I finally remembered why I love this show.

Ana Lucia notwithstanding (albeit at the end) we have finally gotten back to the core characters and things are rolling along again. Life, it seems, is resuming. I am, after this episode, able to forgive the past few episodes that seemed to progress \\\"island-time\\\" about 3 or 4 hours total. Resumption of time has finally taken place.

Further, we get to delve more into Kate\\\'s past with no apparent pretention. This is the most honest I have seen Kate\\\'s story thus far and it finally has a feel of realness to it. We have found a reason to not be wary of her (although we can maintain fearfulness). Good job to both the writers and the actress.

Poor Sawyer. Beaten, shot, beaten, yelled at, damn near eaten by a shark and beaten again. It\\\'s nice to see him conscious and firing off the banter with the occasional term of endearment aimed at Kate. He really grows on you. And apparently on Kate, too.

Now, a word on the Locke/Eko dynamic. There is definitely something between these two. Their interaction fairly reeks of, well...(remember back to the first season) the pieces on a backgammon board: one light, one dark. Skin pigment aside, I get the feeling they are holding each other at extreme arms-length and are not about to show their hands, in whole or part, at any cost. They are or at least will be soon, at odds with each other, near as I can tell. They parallel one another in that respect. We will have to see.

Michael, Michael, Michael...you are being drawn into a trap, brother. Think it through, man. But wait, that would be totally out of character for you.

Otherwise, the show I love and wait patiently for is back on and I am psyched for the future.

• Cool episode.

This episode was mostly about Kate's background and how and why she killed her biologic father. This being said, not much time is left for what is going on on the island. In fact, we can see that Kate is attracted by both Jack and Sawyer, Jack being the good guy she has always been looking for and Sawyer the bad guy with whom she shares a lot. Even if she kisses Jack in this episode, she seems really close to Sawyer and I think that we are soon going to be given a Kate/Sawyer love relationship. Moreover, there is also the discovery of a part of the film about the Dharma Organization that had been cut which is found by the characters and it leads to a nice Mr. Eko/Locke dialogue. Moreover, at the end, Mickael sees the word "Dad" on the computer screen and starts chatting with either his son or anybody else (maybe with the "others", like a kind of test). That was a pretty good end which in my opinion revived the show. Concerning the other characters, we see a bit of Sayid (burying Shannon's body), Ana-Lucia, Hurley, Charlie, but not really much.

So, to sum up, that was a good episode with a mysterious ending...
< 1 2 3 4