Lost

What Kate Did

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 30, 2005 on ABC

• As nice as it was to learn what Kate did, what's with the horse?

Okay, so Kate killed her birth father because he was "bad". Sorry to hear that. But what's with the horse?!?! I love this show, but every week it's getting more and more ridiculous. First the polar bear, then Jack's father, then Walt, now a stinking black horse who saved Kate from doing time for her dad's murder!!! Geez, this show better get to the point real quick because I'm losing interest.
  • More of Kate pasts is revealed.

6.9
    Kate is looking after Swayer then in some sort of trance he asks her "Why did you kill me Kate"?

Kate is shocked to hear this, because it takes her back through the years of when she killed her biological father, whom she hated.

I figured out Kate's past from the first season, that she killed her step dad. But, what blow me away was how she did it.....bombing the house....brilliant.

Kate also kissed Jack, which in my view was very tastless, and not half the kiss that she and Sawyer had.

The episode also showed us a lost reel of the video tape in the hatch, that Mr Eko had in his possession. Micheal was contacted through the computer by Walt or someone possing as Walt.

Overall the best episode so far of the season. Although, it lacked in many areas, because the show is becoming crap, it was the best of the rest.
  • Overall, this episode finally provided the answer to many questions about Kate, but in that muddled process, it came somewhat short of the edgy expectations that previous episodes had generated.

Defying expectation can be a tricky business. When writing for a series that has been lauded for complex storytelling and character development, one might be fooled into thinking that answers can be simpler than they appear. The producers of “Lost”, in the most recent podcast (a truly useful fount of information and promotion), indicate that they felt it was time to address Kate’s past and put everything on the table.

It’s not that Kate’s original crime is somehow disappointing. As predicted, she killed her father, and her mother (the primary victim) was unwilling to see that it was a necessary evil. But it might be said that the writers wanted to soften the story a bit from what was originally suggested. “Born to Run” hinted at a far more abusive situation than was revealed in this episode, and perhaps that is why the revelation turned out to be so lackluster.

It’s entirely possible that the writers were going for something more subtle. There are elements introduced in this episode that clarify Kate’s interest in Jack and Sawyer, after all. Kate loves Jack for everything that she saw in Tom and sees in Jack. At least, she feels as though she should love Jack. But that’s because she’s drawn more to Sawyer. Unfortunately, Sawyer is far too similar to the kind of man who represented everything she hates.

Imagine how the hints in “Born to Run” might have intersected with the information in this episode. For years, Kate might have been abused by her step-father, with her mother taking physical abuse and making excuses. Kate might have been trapped. Then, learning that her step-father was in fact her biological father might have been a trigger for true violence. Her actions would have been more understandable.

Without the personal component, Kate’s motivations are harder to grasp. The implication is that Kate was not, in fact, justified in her actions. Kate unearthed the truth about Wayne and her mother, and that was simply enough to drive her to pre-meditated murder. Frankly, that’s not a very compelling argument, and it certainly doesn’t engender sympathy. This is where that subtlety question comes in: at what point is enough enough? When does murder become justified? And was Kate’s “father” correct in saying that there was something dark and violent inside Kate that allowed her to step over that line when others wouldn’t?

In the end, the love triangle is exactly where it was before. Jack is still the unfortunate embodiment of all the things that Kate loved about Tom, but with all the pesky non-Tom shortcomings. Kate still sees him as the chance to break a cycle she has worked up in her head. Sawyer is still the embodiment of all the things she hates but can’t seem to avoid. Thematically, Jack still represents the likely source of Kate’s redemption, and in turn, Kate is still the one likely to show Sawyer a better way.

Two elements exist within the narrative that could tie all of this personal drama to the island’s more unusual properties, however. The first is the easiest to dismiss: Sawyer’s apparent “channeling” of Wayne. It’s not at all hard to rationalize this. Kate was thinking about Wayne, running her past through her mind again and again, and so she was more than likely to interpret Sawyer’s feverish mutterings as a message from the grave. Transference, indeed!

But then there’s the horse. The very real horse, which seemed to know Kate. A horse that really shouldn’t be on the island. There’s simply no easy way to explain it other than to suggest that Kate has a way with animals that she doesn’t recognize. What the writers were trying to say with the horse is not entirely clear, other than the fact that seeing the horse further triggered Kate’s memory dump.

Thankfully, the writers don’t leave the entire episode to the exploration of Kate’s confused heart. There’s also the Locke/Eko interaction, which is far more intriguing. As predicted, Locke and Eko do not work off the same page. Eko seems to have Locke worked out in a matter of moments: Locke loves to mistake coincidence for fate. Eko, on the other hand, takes a fairly rational and analytical approach to his religious mysticism.

So where Locke sees the “orientation film” as something of a sign from his island gods, Eko knows it to be the work of man. And as such, Eko clearly does not attach some vast importance or significance to the hatch and its broader context. Eko may ultimately agree with Locke’s approach (continuing to follow the instructions in the film), but the philosophies differ substantially. Eko seems poised to challenge every one of Locke’s assumptions, and that ought to lead to serious and passionate debate in future episodes.

In that respect, Eko sits squarely between Jack and Locke on the “faith vs. reason” continuum. Jack is very much the pragmatic leader, to a fault. Would he be willing to consider a religiously-motivated interpretation of events? Locke, of course, gives every moment a mystical significance, so long as it fits within the point of view that leaves him as High Priest of the Island. Eko, on the other hand, seems to live within his religious convictions, while also approaching situations from a pragmatic point of view. While Eko will certainly clash with Locke over how to interpret events on the island, he will also challenge Jack’s desire to leave faith or belief out of the equation.

From a “big picture” perspective, there’s also Michael’s apparent conversation with Walt via the computer. A number of explanations could be offered, but the most obvious centers on the long-held assumption that the Others are, in fact, the remnants of those who began and maintained the Dharma Initiative. If the whole island was meant as a complex experiment, then telling people not to use the computer for communication with the outside world would be an obvious part of that social experiment. Any communication attempts or triggers would come from the Dharma Initiative personnel as a test; if Walt is being protected by the Others, kept from being part of the grand experiment in social conditioning, then he would have access to the computer network.

That is the more rational explanation: that the prohibition has little or no actual meaning beyond the test protocol of the Dharma experiment. It supports the idea that there is, in fact, no “incident” that would result should the “numbers” not be entered. The question is whether or not Michael can identify networking infrastructure on the old equipment; it shouldn’t be that hard.

Certain key questions emerge: Why was the film broken into pieces and kept in different stations on the island? Are there other parts of the film scattered in other stations on the island? How does all of this play into the purpose of the island itself? And how does the Hanso Foundation relate to any of this, since the producers have endlessly hinted that it’s a huge part of the mythology?

As for the other characters, once again, they seem to be left to the background. Still, they are present, and they serve various functions. Most importantly, perhaps, Sayid is left to deal with Shannon’s death, which has led him momentarily to grief rather than rage. Ana Lucia, in relation to that, still cannot bring herself to integrate fully with the JackLocke Tribe. Their inevitable confrontation is thereby postponed, which makes sense.

Jin and Sun seem to have taken temporary residence in the Love Shack, which is good to see. Sun plays an important role in terms of Kate’s plot thread as well. Kate has the chance to avoid her own issues by letting Sun take care of Sawyer. Sun is, essentially, her excuse to keep running. When Kate chooses to dismiss Sun and take care of Sawyer herself, she is taking an important step in owning her past and what it means to her.

One odd scene takes place between Jack and Hurley. Hurley essentially tells Jack that he’s working out his anger with Sawyer by taking on Sawyer’s job functions with a dose of resentment. That’s all well and good, but is he really the character to be making that observation? It felt like little more than a chance to remind the audience that Hurley had been in a mental hospital. Maybe it was as simple as the fact that Libby, the more logical choice, wouldn’t know the history between Jack and Sawyer, but that could have been worked out.

For all that it covered a lot of distinctly second season issues, this felt more like one of the first season episodes. Elements of the big picture were advanced, however incrementally, while Kate’s personal issues were once again on the table. Had the episode dealt entirely with Kate and her past, then the lack of complexity might have made this a disappointment. However, the Eko/Locke scenes alone were worth the time spent, and while some of the elements were vexing, the story moved forward.
  • boring episode. Great ending.

Kinda boring episode. Nothing interesting happened for a looong while. The kate flashbacks were nice but what happened on the island wasn´t.

Things started to get interesting at the end when they saw the film and michael chatted on the cpu...other than that it was 35 minutes of boring stuff. No wonder lost is losing viewers, crap like this won't help stop that.

As usual the cliffhanger save the episode but on a whole i just fell asleep, only to wake up when the flashbacks occured.
  • Thats what she did?

I always wandered what Kate did in her past that got her in trouble with the law. We knew this:

1. She did something that her mother is afraid of her.
    2.She robbed a bank
    3. She got the person she loved killed

But we knew she did something before all those and we learned she is a killer/arcinist. I didnt see that coming, I thought her crime would have been a case of nice girl hanging with a crowd since she seems very nice to be a killer. But as always expect the unexpected. Maybe in another flashback episode we will learn on what her step-father did so bad to her mother that Kate had to kill him.
  • I think I know the plot of whole show!!! I didnt come up with it my self, but i wished i had.

Here's what The person that wrote this thinks of the plot of the series:
    That there is a magnetic field that surrounds the Island, which makes the Island and the experiments (?) on the Island invisible to the outside world. Flight 817 crashed into that magnetic field because it was so far lost already, it stumbled upon it by coincidence, and now they are all a part of an experiment that has run amok. There is an illness that has taken over the others that was released as part of the experiment. No one is watching them.
    This is the clincher - every time they push the button, they are keeping the shield up and keeping the Island invisible. If they would just not push the button, the Island would become visible and they could be saved. The whole show revolves around the button.

This really needs to be expanded to include the why's of the visions and coincidences on the island. I heard a podcast that said the show rips off Stephen King's the stand. .. so now all we need to do is watch all the episodes of lost so far, watch the minute details and watch all of stand and we will know the truth!!
  • To byl, swietny odcinek, zatkalo mnie na koncu kiedy odezwal sie Walt, nie moge sie doczekac nastepnego odcinka...

Zaskoczyl mnie tez motyw z Waynem ktory wcielil sie w Sawyera, pewnie dlatego Sawyer powiedzial ze kocha Kate, a biedny Jack mysli ze ma konkurenta na dobre. Sama sie juz pogubilam w tym czy chce zeby Kate byla z Sawyerem, bo Ana Lucia przez moment mi podpadla mu do pary, ale moze ona rzeczywiscie bardziej pasuje do Jacka. Ech ten Jack jest jednak nie w moim typie
  • Are we meant to feel sorry for Kate now?

Well shock horror she killed daddy dearest.
    So this episode just confirmed what most of us already worked out.

I'd be a lot happier if they just killed her off.

Of course that's never going to happen.

Thank God for fan fiction.

At least Sawyer is awake now and the paranoid fans of his can breathe.

• Why do we have to watch Kates flash backs when there are so many unanswered questions????

5.3
    This Kate centric episode was a bore with very few redeeming moments. The flash backs were completely pointless and could have been filled with something that actually made it worth the viewers while to sit through the episode. Kate is more an irritation than anything else and I have little interest in the intrigues of the Kate, Jack, Sawyer love triangle when there are so many unanswered questions and new questions popping up constantly.

The black horse is interesting. Is it really there or is it some thing Kate dreamed up that the island with its “magical” properties conjured up. If it is there why is it there, where did it come from and why do we only see it now? One possibility is that the Horse is some form of Guardian spirit sent to provide protection or possibly bring a message much like Jacks meeting with his dad in the 1st season which like the horse cannot be completely considered a hallucination. Maybe Kate should have asked the horse what it wanted to tell her and maybe it would have helped her to decide is it going to be Jack or is it going to be Sawyer. When we look at the broader picture the island is taking a toll on the psychological well being of survivors and we have to consider whether the survivors may not have had deep seated issues that needed attention before the crash which have been aggravated by the trauma of crash and all the events that have followed or whether there is something on the island that is slowly driving them all mad. (they have been going loopy since they started eating the hatch food) We have also seen Shannons visions of Walt which might have been written off as a hallucination until Sayid also saw the same thing. However we do know that Walt is “different” and we can only hope that we will get to the bottom of why he is different.

We finally see Locke and Ecko sit down together. This made this episode worth watching. These two are definite parallels of each other. Both being men of faith, both knowledgeable when it comes to survival. Both are men of few words but when they speak it is both powerful and enigmatic. Their greeting of each other summed them up so perfectly. While Locke can be considered more esoteric Ecko can be considered more dogmatic yet both are aware that there is more to the island than can be explained by reason. I think that this is what is leading to Jacks gradual disintegration as he needs reason for everything the same way he needs air to breathe and what is going on defies reason. I have to give credit to the writers for the way that they brought the missing piece of the orientation tape into the picture. Echo’s story was magic, beautifully told and yet not up in your face. In this we see that Echo’s faith rests strongly on his religious convictions while Lockes rests more on a belief in the powers of the universe and that everything and everyone fits into this.

The piece of the tape causes the stories thread to take another twisted turn and is perfectly timed with Michaels 1st communication with Walt. We are left wondering if Michael is really communicating with his son or is this something like Kates horse that has manifested by his desire. It also poses the question why did the communication start only when Michael was alone with the computer? Why has this never happened to any one else while they are on button duty. Can it be that some one is possibly watching the people in the hatch and being aware of Michaels desire to find his son is cunningly taking advantage of that desire to manipulate Michael. There is definitely more to this than the mere coincidence that we have become used to as followers of lost.
  • Better

I think that overall this ep was better than the previous ones, but not up to the standard they had set in season one. The pacing seemed a bit off - it started out suspensefully, but seemed to slow down as the episode went on. Throwing in a shock here and there isn't really suspense-building. There are interesting parts, but they don't seem to add up to a satisfying whole.
    The story of Josiah can be found in 2 Kings - Josiah began his reign at age 8 (children, Walt?) and, interestingly, lost his life in a battle against the Pharaoh Neco of Egypt. If there is supposed to be some parallel to Eko (Eco?). Is that why he delivers every line like it's a pronouncement?
  • Nice episode with a great finish!

The Episode starts calm with Sun and Jin but quickly gains momentum developing into a really great one. We get to know a lot more about Kates interesting background and the situation between her and Sawyer in the hatch is really interesting, either.
    But what really rocks in this episode is the missing piece Eko provides Locke with and its incredible ending with Mike at the PC.
    I cant wait to see the next one, since i really want to know how the Jack - Kate - Sawyer - situation developes and what Mike will be able to get out of the PC before Locke stops him...
    One of the better Season 2 Episodes so far...
  • This chapter reveals you what you wanted to know about Kate...

This is a great episode with a lot of drama, action and intensity. The Flashback is about Kate and why she was prosecuted by the police. We can see how Kate is waiting for somebody outside her house and then we find out that the man she was waiting for was his step-father, whom she killed at the time she leaves the house. Buuut, and this is an example of how shocking can Lost be, we later discover that the one who she killed was her real father, and the man who raised her was not her real father... yes! Very confusing, i know.

Anyway, on the island we can see how Kate is confronting an inside battle on his mind about her feelings. She hears her father on inconscient Sawyer and then she freaks out. When this happens, Jack appears on scene and, after a little talk, she kisses him, apologising and running away after this.

So... Whether Jack or Sawyer, someone she has to choose, hasn´t she?

Personally, I prefer Sawyer... Ok, Ok, not Sawyer, but Jack!!
  • great episode

A Kate flashback episode, this episode looks into Kate's original crime that got her whole life spinning out of control. Her relationship with Sawyer haunts her about her past. Locke and Eko discover the film that's missing from their bunker instruction video. Michael receives messages from the vintage computer. This is a revealing episode, it connects the story from the other flashbacks and her present life. It's an exciting episode. The writers surely did a good episode, this is really good. I really enjoyed this one. The drama is well written, the acting looks so natural and not pretentious, mixed that with the supernatural theme of the show, it's one awesome episode.
  • GAAH! Jack and Kate kiss! Enough said!

LOVED this episode! I am a huge fan of both Jack and Kate (both individually and as a "couple")and this was a fantastic on so many levels! Kate's backstory reveals the specific details of her crime - an abusive stepfather who she blows up after the last straw - and the surprises of the island force her the face her past. On a whim of despair Kate confides in Jack... by kissing him! Gaah I could watch that scene over and over! LOL! But seriously, it was an amazing episode and definately on of my favourites!
  • The One Where We Learn What Kate Did.

I thought they wrote this ep. really good at first i was pissed to hear that Kate gets another ep. when other main characters havent even had two yet. But, when this one started I fell in love with it. I so happy we finally learn what happen to make Kate go on the run from the cops. I'm glad it wasnt something stupid the reason was a good one for cops to be looking for her in different places that was she blew up her house with her father in it. It was kool to see that horse amd to see Sawyer being controlled by her dad. This has to be one of my favorties.
  • This was the episode that revealed Kate's original crime, the mysterious Black Horse, Kate and Jack's kiss, the missing Orientation film segments and a message from Walt (??). And yet with all that this episode is rather dull and boring.

5.2
    The opening teaser is amazing: Jin and Sun have a shippy moment, Sawyer tells Jack he loves Kate, Kate sees a mysterious Black Horse in the Jungle and we see what Kate's original crime was, which includes a house exploding.
    But then the episode seems to lounge back into a very intense character plotline with added mysteries, which don't really add that much.
    If Locke's flashback episodes are my favourite, then Kate's may be my least favourite. Remember "Whatever the Case May be" was a Kate episode. Thankfully, as dull as "What Kate Did" is, it is not as pointless as the former one. As essential as it was to kow what Kate did to force her on the run, the reveal is a bit disapointing. The actual crime of blowing up the house is visually impressive in the teaser, but the reasons for the crime don't make too much sense. This episode gives us little to make her crime justifiable. Wayne may have grabbed Kate's arm in the teaser but this seemed quite harmless to what could have happened. We could have seen him hurt Kate more, even to the extent of beating her like he supposedly beat up her Mother. Unlike Sawyer, we don't see any reason why Kate should have killed Wayne, other than to protect her mother.
    Sawyer has a far more meaningful and justifiable reason to kill the original Sawyer: he had to listen to and live with the murder of his poor mother. Thus, Kate's story of how she used to lay in bed listening to Wayne beat up her mother beat her up pales in comparison.
    So this aspect of Kate's story I found rather disappointing.
    Another disappointing aspect was that the missing pieces of the Orientation film that Eko disovers in the Bible were hardly revelatory (pun intended). It was only meant to set up the final scene but it could have done that and revealed even more about the Swan Station and the "Incident" which we still don't know anything about.
    The final moment of the episode where Michael seemingly communicates with Walt, as well as the scene where Eko reveals the extended Orientation film to Locke are the highlights past the teaser. Other than that this episode is rather lacklustre. It is rather slow and uninteresting at times. The scope of the series may be returning but this is a slow introduction to this stage of the season. Shippers will be thrilled by the Jack and Kate kiss but it is not why I watch the show. I agree that it is a nice aspect of the show but it is not the reason I watch the show. Most of the episode is "all talk and no action". For the first time since the "Crappy Case" episode from Season One, I found myself half-watching the episode, doing something else at the same time, which tells me that this episode failed to keep my attention.
    There were some reasonable moments but these had nothing to do with the Jack/Sawyer/Kate love triangle. So far in Season 2 there hasn't been too much to shout about/. There have been two outstanding episodes: "Man of Science, Man of Faith" and "Orientation". Other notable episodes have been "Everybody Hates Hugo" and "The Other 48 Days". The remaining 5 episodes have all been rather disappointing. It is interesting that even Shannon's murder has, thus far, not caused many sparks, among the two camps, and if this episode is anything to go by, we may not see any sparks at all, which is another major disappointment. What will it take for the momentum to return? I wait with anticipation.....
  • One of my least favourite Lost Episodes

I thought this was one of the worst episodes of lost series 2 and possibly of the entire series of Lost so far, it was a huge dissapointment because i had been looking forward to finding out what Kate did and not only was what she did a let down, the whole episode was poor and a lot of it was a waste of time, there wasnt much excitement or humour and Kate's actions were way too erratic just like Hurley in "Everybody Hates Hugo". I also didnt like Sawyer saying "You Killed Me" to Kate because i still think it was a bit crazy. The flashback was a lot better than the action on the island apart from finding out what Kate actually did.
  • Had its highs and lows.

7.1
    Okay...Lets put the good stuff out of the way. Ecko - Locke interaction promises tons. Hurley seems to be more interesting than we have been led to believe. Ana Lucia had less on screen time (Why doe sit feel like the quality of the episode is inversely proportional to Ana Lucia's on screen time?). The computer and the Dharma project has become more intriguing. Michael may go out to seek Walt, showing some interaction with the others.

Now the bad...Kate's story was absolute filler. First, it was unnecessary, since while we did learn about her past, it did not in any way affect our judgment of her character. We all expected something like this to have happened. We always knew she was someone trying to be good, but with an evil part hidden away somewhere. I will agree though, it helped us understand why she could not bring herself to love Sawyer. But why spend 45 minutes showing us why she was finding it difficult to love Sawyer, only to have all those difficulties disappear at the end of the episode? Besides, does the charm of Lost lie in the relationships between the characters (I mean their love affairs) or in the altercations between them and their responses to the island and its many mysteries? The writers have to start doing something to resolve the issues at hand. Whenever they feel they are losing the audience, they raise another question without answering any of them. I am not against new twists, and questions, but at least give some answers, even if they may prove to be false in the end.

But at least this episode advanced the storyline. I think it bodes well for the future,esp since it seems like the next episode is gonna be on Ecko...Woot Woot!!!
  • Finally we know what Kate did, but... who cares?

7.7
    Great episode and everything but I stopped caring about what Kate did a long time ago, if they told us in season one I'd be all "Damn!" but just telling us randomly in some random episode sort of kills the whole mood.

The whole fact that Kate killed her incestous father is dampened by the fact that Locke, Mike and Eko make a discovery about the film, saying that the computer can be used for things other than just typing in the code to reset the count down, this is apparant when Mike gets a message from his son.

So some questions are answered but with the usual Lost style, more are asked. Season 2 is taking it's time getting going, but by now it should really start to get into full swing, hopefully that comes soon.
  • Great Episode

7.8
    The Black Horse.... I hope he is for real,Giant Polar Bears,Speeding Wild Boars and Horses, wait a few episode and you'll see a flying Shark i love it.
    This is why i watch this show, i hope they'll go and explore the island some more, maybe than they will find some more great things, maybe some more Pirate ships, or Dynamite...
  • The long awaited episode.

I thought the 2 previous Kate episodes were horrible. But this one finally reveals her big crime, right at the beginning, and oh boy it was superb! I didn't see it coming, and it all suddenly made sense. For the most...

her flashback was really enjoyable, and emotional. I have to give it to the writers. They wrote Kate's mother's character really well. Her reaction to what Kate did was very realistic. The island story had a nice duality to it. Kate's struggle with Sawyer and Jack(or between them...) and Locke/Eko getting to know eachother. The Kate storyline was okay. Not the most exciting, but I thought Sawyer being posessed by the man Kate killed was a good idea, and was very similiar to what Sawyer went through in S1 with the boar. Clever. But sometimes it felt dragged out, and her randomly kissing Jack was kind of there to please the shippers in my opinion, because it just didn't seem to serve any purpose :/

But as far as Locke and Eko goes. Brilliant. I loved their interactions, they seem to speak the same language. Eko gives John an "extended" cut of the orientation video which reveals that the computer is not allowed to be used for anything else other than pushign the button. And right at that moment, Michael hears a beep. Someone is sending him a message on the computer. "Dad?"

Cut to black.

What a cliffhanger. I didn't see that one coming at all. Is it really Walt on the other end? Or is it the others?
  • Think it's worth noting that the television in Kate's Father's office showed Sayid in what might have been handcuffs.

For a small town girl Kate really knows how to hit someone. She's a very cunning and powerful women and I find it hard to believe that she would develop such spirit and spite overnight.

Also, I think it's worth noting that the television in Kate's Father's office showed Sayid in what might have been handcuffs.
  • At first I thought this was a bad place to put Kates epsiode but it fit perfectly! There really did not need to be a flashback with so manythings happening. (spoilers)

This is the first episode were they really didint need a flashback and still make it great. There were so many storylines going on. We know what Kate Did but I think the reason for killing him seemed useless but her thinking that Sawer was Wayne was another great littile Island thing. The horse might be the monster refer to \"23rd Psalm\" Anyway on another note. Sayids grief was hardly mentionend and Anas was more so... The Bible scene Between Locke and EKo was great but I dont know why the tape was in there (On a littile laugh I the first time I saw it. EKo was M.R Candle Lol) Hurley was great in the first scene Somehow knowing that hes the HUmor in the show makes what he did funny.

Micheal found the chat on the computer this is so out of character becasue Micheal has never been a curoius person so for him to start chating it up and thinking his son was on the other line.
  • As Kate’s backstory continues, her original crime is revealed. She thinks something is haunting her through Sawyer. Locke and Eko make an interesting discovery about the film, and Michael has a mysterious encounter with the computer.

As Kate’s back-story continues, her original crime is revealed in her flashbacks. She thinks something is haunting her through Sawyer (the person that she killed ) . Locke and Eko make an interesting discovery about the film, that there is a second part to the film. Michael has a mysterious encounter with the computer. Michael thinks at the end that Walt is on the island. My favorite part of this episode was at the end when Michael starts to type in the computer and so at the end he comes to the conclusion that his son Walt is on the island.
  • I sound sad I know but I had been waiting for Jack and Kate to 'get it on' from the beginning of the 1st series.

I dont get these two characters at all cause it is obvious they are attracted to each other (Jack perving at Kate when she comes out of the shower in an earlier episode and Kate in series 1 saying to jack 'Were you checking me out?' and the looks she always gives him.
    I mean you'd be pretty horny stuck on a desert island for 2 months, especially with Matthew Fox around!! Lol. So a bit of luuuuurve between the Kate and Jack characters would be very nice to see. I'm picturin a steamy sex scene ala Leo and Kate in Titanic!! Well that's just me anyway.
    I hope Kate and Jack get it on and no, why would she wanna be with sawyer if he reminds her of her dad- that's just mad! They have a friendship but I think she fancies Jack.

Now then, onto the actual episode- hmmm bit wierd about her past I find it mad how all the characters in this have absurd and dramatic pasts, I mean what are the chances? It just reminds me of some soap we get over here produced by the BBC called 'East Enders' its just so OTT!! I mean how many people can die/have affairs/teenage preganancies/kidnaps etc etc in one town square. Same goes for Lost! It is very entertaining though and I suppose that's why I'm writing this now. Lol.

The horse incident was also wierd. One way to look at it is it was the horse that brought Kate to the island, it was her saviour in some way? Well I am not even going to try and guess any of the plot, do the producers just make it up week by week?

What I love about this program is it keeps you guessing and yeah, wanting more. I'm from Liverpool, England and its been a pain cause the 1st series has only just finished over here so I had to download series 2 episodes 1 - 11 off the good old world wide web! (Cheers ABC) I would love to watch more though!
    I am believe that Lost has a deeper meaning and ties in freely with religion, (they are entering the code into computer but dont know why, all this fate, pre-destination stuff!)

Also there's another theory, may be all the characters who are associated with the numbers in some way, will live i.e Kate's character will live cause she was wanted for a $23,000 reward. The characters who have no ties with the numbers will be killed off, i.e. Boon and Shannon. Oh well, it was just a suggestion if anyone has any theories on this give us a shout cause I've been thinking about writing my dissertation on Lost I'm doing media studies at college and I've got to go into 10,000 words so if anyone has any theory behind lost or knows of any media theorists that correlate with Lost let me know.

I could go into more depth about the episode but I just wanted to concentrate on the kate - jack scenario and the fact its taken them this long to kiss, so come on- get on with it cause we girls wanna see some action!!!!!!
    Thanks for taking the time to read this.
  • Kate is indeed a cold-blooded killer, Eko knows more than he's saying and another computer on the island?

First, while I think this was a great and revealing episode, the whole Kate backstory trigger was unclear on my first viewing. It took me a while to realize she thought Sawyer was channeling White. Once that mad sense, her backstory triggers made more sense when the horse or Sawyer was around her.

The big thing in this episode is the film fragment. Why was it cut out? Who cut it out? Why was it on the other side of the island in the Arrow bunker hidden in a book? The whole thing about not using the computer for anything other than the numbers was odd.

Then after all that ominous blather about using it only for the numbers, Michael starts chatting on it? Ok first... remember Locke tried typing and nothing happened... the keyboard was dead until the 4 minute alarm. Next Michael is looking over the equipment... why? That stuff was built when he was a kid most likely... reel to reel data tapes? I mean come on. Like he's gonna know what to do with any of it? Then suddenly there's a beep and the word 'Hello?' on the screen and the ketboard suddenly works and he can freely chat at the system carrot? Hmmmmm.

What was really cool is that apparently it was Walt. this means yet another bunker somewhere on the island with another computer.
    Oo I just thought of something... maybe Walt's in an underwater station? That would explain the cable that Sayid found going into the ocean on the beach, the Dharma logo on the shark that attacked Sawyer on the raft, and the fact that Walt is always soaking wet whenever anyone sees him... hmmm the thought plickens...

Till next time.
  • Kate-centric episode. Kate believes that her dead father is being channeled through Sawyer. And Eko reveals something interesting about the training film.

A very interesting episode. Kate's crime in this episode is finally revealed. I found it was less than exciting (I was hoping she was a serial killer or something). The horse accident was very symbolic. Nearly the same thing happened in the plane. They get into an accident and Kate gains her freedom. On a side note I just want to tell everyone what kind of an actress Evangline Lilly was before J.J. Abrams hired her. I recognized her as a Canadian in the pilot. Up here in Canada she had the job of being an actress on one of those phone dating services. You know the ones "are you looking for a good time but you don't want to go into bars." Yeah she was one of those girls. Flopping around on her couch and smiling into a phone, constantly wiping the hair out of her eyes. I must say her acting skills have been improved a lot with this show. But I digress.

I must say that Hurley is being written to be the most relatable character on the show. He says exactly what the audience is thinking. For exapmle: "So, Rose's husband's white. Didn't see that one coming." That's exactly what I said.

I think this is one of the first episodes in a long time that all the main (living) cast members were in thats a big thing.

The film strip thing was pretty surprising although I don't understand why it was taken out in the first place. Oh well likely we'll fing out in a years time or something.

I'm happy for Locke now he has an equallystrange person to speak to about strange ideas and concepts. Althoguh Eko was a bit off about Josiah finding the New Testament, probably Josiah didn't find the entire New Testament including the portion about himslef. But no bother its barely a mistake.

So the horse thing. I guess my theory was wrong I thought it was Walt bringing the Animals to reality but now Kates memories are becoming physical. Oh well it's sometimes better not to think about the mysteries of this show.

ABC is absolutely killing me with their new promotion thing. Now they extend Lost 4 minutes longer than is necassary just so Invasion has a better lead in. And I've been missing the last four minutes ever since they started doing this. Also what will happen when they try to Sindicate the show and it won't fit into the alloted time, their really screwwing themselves with this.

All in all a good episode. Although it's what I've come to expect from Lost.
  • Due to the UK Christmas schedules, I happened to see \"The Mummy Returns\" which features Mr. Eko in another character (a baddie). During the film, one of the principal characters says to Brendon Fraser \"Do not mistake coincidence for fate

And then I happened to see Series 2 of Lost the following evening and Mr Eko mutters a very similar phrase to Locke.

By the way, it turns out Brendon Fraser\'s character is fated to defend a sacred order, although he doesn\'t know it. And yes, I\'m ashamed to admit I watched a naff sequel to a naff film.
  • First part of season 2 ends, which means, we are getting better episodes! Yes! What Katie did..?

Incredible opener, very hmm.. explosive.
    Kate's crime is revelaed. The whole episode was intense. Shannon's buried, Sawyer's body 'taken over' by someone from Kate's past, timer almost running out... and the ending.

The episode was paced much better than previous episodes. Flashbacks were interesting, too. No boring stuff.

This episode also had several mysteries. For example Sawyer's takeover. The victim of Kate's crime came back... only wanted to know 'Why?..' As soon as Kate answered, the spirit gone, and Sawyer got much better.

Anyhow, the ending of the episode is incredible. Michael's adventure is on. And it wont stop until episode 24.
  • finally find out what kate did

this was a good one. we find out that there's more to the tape than we originally saw. kate and sawyer see the black horse again and apparently kate knows what the horse is. it was prety funny that we saw hand of trainer on the side. it was pretty funny considering that the hand was moving up and down the steady the horse. great ending as we see that walt is messaging his dad.
< 1 2 3 4