Lost

What Kate Did

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 30, 2005 on ABC

• WOW!!!!!!!! This has got to be the best episode of Lost I have ever seen. After weeks of boredom and nothingness it is finally back on form! Even Michelle Rodrigiuez was bearable!

WOW! If I had to sum this episode up in one word that is what I would use. After the last, somewhat disappointing episode, I wasn't expecting to be blown away, but I was hooked from the first scene... by the second I was up off my seat! Sawyer saying he loves Kate...wow, but as we see later on was it really Sawyer? Then Kate kisses Jack, which was an amazing scene, tremendously well acted, you could feel the emotion, especially with the look on Jack's face as he tries to calm Kate down. Then she says she has feelings for Sawyer! I love this love triangle storyline and it the fantastic tension it creates!

As for Kate's backstory I do agree that we had lost interest in what she did, truthfully it should have been revealed last season while we all still cared, but placing it here it ended up adding more to an understanding of what Kate feels for Jack and Sawyer than anything about her personality. In a very Wuthering Heights-esque way we see Kate as the Catherine Earnshaw character, torn between the good guy who will take care of her and the bad, passionate guy. The tension within Kate herself is almost as good as the tension between the three characters themselves. Hopefully we will see more of this storyline, but they won't give us too much to fast. Subtle scenes like last weeks where Kate got Sawyer to take the tablet are the best and make scenes, such as where she kisses Jack all the more powerful.

In any case there was a lot more to this episode other than the Sawyer-Kate-Jack triangle and I think no matter what you watch lost for there was something for everyone. I loved the Eko and Locke pairing and that they pieced the film together which begs the question why it was split up in the first place, and what happened at the other station? I must admit, as someone else said, I could also see it coming that Michael would use the computer for something else even though the film said not to. I thought too that his questions about the hatch reflected a lot of questions that the viewers may have been having. Locke seems to have accepted the button pushing responsibility blindly and while that is part of his character there are a lot of questions that the viewers may want to ask. Contacting Walt, though, that was fantastic and after weeks of dull storylines about the 'tallies' it is great to see that finally moving along.

Finally Charlie and Hurley provided great comic relief in this episode and contributed to it having it all. Perfectly put together, this is by far one of the best episodes of Lost I have ever seen!
  • I yelled at my television!

I\\\'ve read lots of Lost theories and heard some really crazy stuff, but tonight\\\'s episode really got me thinking. I see a division forming among the survivors. One group: Sayid, Locke, Ana-Lucia, Jack, Charlie, Kate (now) and (until recently) Shannon have all been seeing and hearing unusual things. All of them are/were emotionally volatile and I believe this relates to the \\\"sickness\\\" referred to by Desmond in episode 2x03. He was very surprised that no one in their group was sick yet, could it be the symptoms are mental not physical? I also think the drug and injector that Desmond took were to prevent outside forces from influencing the bunker operators. Without this neural booster shot, I suspect there will be some repercussions down the road.

Jin got lucky, Jack got snogged, and Sawyer is up and walking again. Michael took in a movie and then instant messaged Walt. I think Walt is in one of the other 4 bunkers, plugged into a neural network that covers the island, powered by the electromagnetic generator in the bunker.

Bottom line: I yelled at the t.v. when it ended so abruptly. I can\\\'t wait until the next episode. I haven\\\'t been so excited about a series since Twin Peaks aired for the first time quite a few years ago!

LOST Rules!
  • Hands down, the best episode of this season. I must admit that I have been disappointed for most of this season but after watching this episode I finally remembered why I love this show.

Ana Lucia notwithstanding (albeit at the end) we have finally gotten back to the core characters and things are rolling along again. Life, it seems, is resuming. I am, after this episode, able to forgive the past few episodes that seemed to progress \\\"island-time\\\" about 3 or 4 hours total. Resumption of time has finally taken place.

Further, we get to delve more into Kate\\\'s past with no apparent pretention. This is the most honest I have seen Kate\\\'s story thus far and it finally has a feel of realness to it. We have found a reason to not be wary of her (although we can maintain fearfulness). Good job to both the writers and the actress.

Poor Sawyer. Beaten, shot, beaten, yelled at, damn near eaten by a shark and beaten again. It\\\'s nice to see him conscious and firing off the banter with the occasional term of endearment aimed at Kate. He really grows on you. And apparently on Kate, too.

Now, a word on the Locke/Eko dynamic. There is definitely something between these two. Their interaction fairly reeks of, well...(remember back to the first season) the pieces on a backgammon board: one light, one dark. Skin pigment aside, I get the feeling they are holding each other at extreme arms-length and are not about to show their hands, in whole or part, at any cost. They are or at least will be soon, at odds with each other, near as I can tell. They parallel one another in that respect. We will have to see.

Michael, Michael, Michael...you are being drawn into a trap, brother. Think it through, man. But wait, that would be totally out of character for you.

Otherwise, the show I love and wait patiently for is back on and I am psyched for the future.

• Show getting back to basics

Yes, the return to the more supernatural side of the island is exciting.

However, when comparing this season to last season, and thinking about how little we've seen of claire, i realized a major difference... lately, each show becomes so "centric" on a couple characters that the other "stars" only pop up to say a couple lines, instead of actually having a role in the show.

I realize it's a large cast, but i enjoyed some of the episodes from the first season that incorporated meaningful segments from most characters.
  • Oh man!!!

Been waiting to get back into the mystery of the island and the main characters.

Fianlly we learn a little something about the hatch or atleast we are teased a little something about the hatch. When finally watching the entire video i didn't think it told us that much until michael started talking. It was amazing!

Still confused about the sawyer possession with Kates Stepdad. Second of all I'm confused as to why Kates mom and father would turn her in like that. I guess thats all a part of kate we don't know.

Oh man i knew Kate was capable of a lot but i didn't think she would go so far as to do that.
    One of the two biggest surprises of the show. Second was - "Dad?" I don't know did anyone else see that coming. Man that threw me off.

The horse adds more mystery to the island which i think is what has been missing the passed couple episodes. Lately it has been more character and love story and lost the island a little.

This episode seems to bring us back to home to what we fell in love with about this series. Can
    t wait to see next weeks ep. I am trippin
  • Finally, Lost gets back to what attracted me in the first place

I've been slamming Lost pretty hard for several episodes now. My main complaint has been that the story has focused on the inter-relationships and backstories of the survivors rather than on the mysteries of the island. This episode breaks that pattern.

Also, let me stress here that I actually see the long hiatus as a very, very GOOD thing. There won't be another episode until January 11 (I believe). Somewhere I heard or read (possibly on the season 1 dvd) that they film about 7 episodes ahead of what we see on tv. So, though there have been lots of complaints about the current direction of the show, the next several episodes are always already filmed and complete (too late for the writers to respond to the opinions of their viewers).

Now, however, the writers have to have heard their fans' complaints and they have a nice long break to do something about it (assuming they are working on the show during the hiatus that is). Hopefully, Lost will come back stronger and a much better show than the last several episodes.

Ok...that out of the way...

The "ghost-horse" for lack of a better term was the exact sort of surreal imagery I've been missing this season. It reminded me of when they found the polar bear or the French transmission. It was an item completely out of place on this supposedly "untouched-by-humans" island. I finally found myself once again saying, "Whoa...what the hell is THAT all about?" The horse is apparantly either symbolic of Kate's father or is actually him in a reincarnated form (or something). But the island seems to be what makes his/its presence possible.

Sawyer being "possessed" by Wayne's "spirit" was a nice touch as well. Is this a place where the dead have found ways to communicate with the living? Is that what the whispers are? Is that what the image of Jack's dead father was? Is the message on the computer coming from a living breathing Walt? Or his "spirit?"

By the way, seeing the word "Dad?" pop up on the computer was another "whoa!" moment. I loved it! I've been missing shockers like this for some time now. And the communication takes place just as they discover that they shouldn't use the computer for communication. GOOD! I hope Dharma's experiment comes crashing down and we finally get to see more of whatever it was all about.

Excellent episode. My only real complaints are that the Kate back story filled a bit too much of the episode and that Claire is still seemingly "lost" from the script. BRING BACK CLAIRE!

• I live for the fluff and this episode gave it to me!!

I thought it was the cutest thing ever!!! I have been waiting to see Jack and Kate kiss since episode 1!!! Jate (Jack and Kate) fanatics can understand where I am coming from here. I also am waiting for some Charlie and Claire fluff as well. Them 2 couples make the absolute cutest couples ever!! This episode also baffled me (but what Lost episode doesn’t?). I could get that the horse was representing her father but why a horse? As far as I know they didn’t live on a farm and it’s not like they had a horse. Anyone who can answer my question, please reply.
  • The horse.

This was defenetley a great episode. Only thing i want to mention here is about that horse. It seems to me that some how that horse was meant to jump in front of the car Kate and the Sheriff were in. Perhaps she was meant to escape from the Sherrif so that she can end up on the island. Perhaps that is why she sees the same horse on the island. Something to think about
  • Bottom Line: Amazing episode. I physically cannot wait until January.

Alright, let's clear up one thing first. I know I gave the last episode a 10, and the one before that a 9.9. I know that giving so many high scores may make it seem like I hand them out all the time, but let me tell you - that was one amazing episode, and it deserves every point.

The episode centered around Kate, who we haven't seen much of since the season started. It was nice to get some classic interaction going between Kate and the other characters, and it made things seem like the simple good old days.
    Well maybe they weren't so simple, but you know what I mean.

As the title of the episode blatently points out, we get to finally find out what Kate did to deserve a life on the run. I can tell you that it was both worth the wait, and really adds another whole layer of depth to an already deep character. The flashbacks were really good, and it was cool to see our old friend the Marshal again, who I'm sure we haven't seen the last of (we still need to see how he set up the plane in the bank and tipped her off).

The rest of the episode was a combination of life after the merging of the two groups, and the mysteries of the hatch. We get to see Shannon's funeral, as well as Ana-Lucia continue to be tormented by her actions. We also get, in my personal opinion, Hurley's funniest line of the series ("so... Rose's husband is white... I didn't see that one coming").

As I mentioned above, we get to see the mysteries of the hatch come into play once more. We get several clues to hold us over the agonizing wait of the next 42 days until the next episode (hey... one of the numbers). We learn that there are blast doors set up in the hatch, which undoubtedly has something to do with the "incident". More importantly, we learn a very important message that may have come a moment too late, ending in a cliffhanger that I certainly did not see coming, but cannot wait to see the conclusion of.

Overall, just like the last episode, this episode had it all. There was great humour (Hurley, Sawyer, Charlie), great emotion (Kate's story, Shannon's funeral), great suspense (the last minute of the episode had my heart beating so fast I thought I'd die), and great character interactions (who else thinks that Locke and Eko rule?). The creators of Lost are on a role, one that I certainly hope continues.

Bottom Line: Amazing episode. I physically cannot wait until January.

(Speaking of January, look out for my Lost site launching the same day as Lost comes back, January 11th, I'll post a link then!)
  • Amazing Ep. What else can you say? Only thing is Eko seems a little strange. Kate likes who again? Sawyer or Jack. I'm confused. Sawyers back. I love that SOB.

Wow. How can't you like this ep. Michael talks to Walt....maybe.

Eko seems a little weird still. For some reason I think he's somehow connected to the others. There's just something about him that I can't put my finger on. I mean, I like the guy and hope he isn't, but theres some secretive about him. Where was he keeping that book? Did any other rear passengers know about it.

Jack gets a smooch and a half from Kate. Whoa, was that unexpected or what. But then she says she likes Sawyer, but doesn't because of Wayne. I'm a little confused on that.

Sawyer's back. I love his great SOB slogan. When I heard those words from his mouth it made me laugh my arse off.

It's getting real interesting. This is a hate love show, I love it because its great, but hate it because it keeps you wanting more. That's not a bad thing though.

• Finally! Took them long enough.

I really did like this episode. We finally know what Kate did to make her mother so afraid of her and who she killed. It also wasn't a boring killing either. The house blowing up surprised even me. I didn't give the show full points because the part with Sawyer grabbing Kate made me think on the Exorcist.

Great ending too. Just when they start getting messages on the computer, the screen goes dark. I can't wait for the next episode, this show is going deeper into something that I want to know about.
  • We have to wait until January!?!?!

I find it, in my opinion, to be one of the best episodes of this season!
    It had a little bit of everything... drama, suspense, thriller, romance and humor. We come back to the not knowing what is happening, how did the horse get there, what really is the Dharma iniciative, does the bunker have net (lol), was it Walt on the computer!?!?! So many things...!
    It ended with that amazing cliffhanger that made me screem at the TV (It's always a good sign when that happens)!!
    And Sawyer is finally back... :D
  • Spooky

This was a really good episode.

It is hard to tell where this show is leading because one minute, it's about a research facility, next thing you know it's all spiritual and supernatural. I was so ready to see the complete tape that I was disappointed about what was on there, until Michael started "chatting". The video says that the computer in station three can be used to connect with the outside world, but using any computer to communicate can cause another incident.

The tapes were placed in specific places for the fact of testing the survivors. On an island that size, it can't be coincidence. If I heard correctly there is one more station, which can be used to communicate with the outside world. My guess is that it is occupied by the others.

When Michael was typing I had no idea what was going to happen. They really threw us for a loop there. Is it Walt, or is it another test. Trying to see how far Michael will take it.

That was all of the experimental stuff. Spiritually there was Wayne. The guy that Kate killed. He was "possessing" Sawyer, or so Kate believed. She thought she was crazy until Sawyer saw the same horse.

I had one minor problem with the episode, sort of odd to be honest. The part where Kate pushes the Marshall out of the car and takes off, and sees the horse. Why would she be so shocked to see a horse in the middle of the country? Bad writing, or acting, not really sure. But that's all. Til next week.
  • We get to know a bit more about Kate, while seeing her relationship develope between her and the two guys, Jack, who she kisses in this episode, and Saywer, who we see her show real emotion towards.

While I would love to see Saywer and Kate get together sooner rather then later, its nice to see the character development that Kate is going through by kissing Jack, though we all know that thats not going to go anywhere. I can't wait for the next episode and to find out what happens next in this love triangle. Too bad that Shannon is now dead, I was really liking her and Sayid.
  • As Kate’s backstory continues, her original crime is revealed. She thinks something is haunting her through Sawyer. Locke and Eko make an interesting discovery about the film, and Michael has a mysterious encounter with the computer.

Yet another nail-biting ending and a 3 week gap again the suspense is killing me, I can\'t wait to see next installment as this has to be one of the best show\'s i\'ve seen on TV in years, Is it really Walt that comunicating on the computer or not? so may questions.............. and not enough answers..........
    Keep\'em coming......DeeDubs
  • Heck YES!

This episode was about Kate's background. The flashbacks werent all that bad and shorter than usual. Saying that, theres more story to the island. The film in the bible that Mr. Eko found was very clever. Then at the end with Michael.
    Message: Hello?
    Message: Who are you?
    Michael: I'm Michael. Who are you?
    Message: Dad?
    Holy crap, could that be Walt???
    We'll have to see the next episode i guess, it looks good. This is going to have Eko's flashbacks which I want because he is my favorite character of Season 2. He reminds me of Locke. Both are men of faith. I cant wait!!
  • Finally some love on that creepy island!

I\\\'ve waited a long time for Kate to admit her feelings for Sawyer. She\\\'s been in denial for such a long time, and we also find out why: he reminds her of all the things she hates, not really the biggest shocker, but a good reason. Kissing Jack was without a doubt her way to try to convince herself that she doesn\\\'t like Sawyer. On the other hand it didn\\\'t look like Jack was too thrilled by the kiss either, since he went straight to Ana-Lucia who it looks like he has a soft spot for.
    Best episode so far this season!
  • Awwwww what a kind person Kate is taking care of this person... KABOOM what the hell?!

A good episode of Lost, one of the best this season, a good flashback story of what Kate did to be a fugitive, and more infomation about the hatch and a head-scratcher at the end, just the way Lost should be, I wish I could come up with a show half as good as this.
  • lost is back on form

This was one of the better episodes of this season. Some episodes have been a tad on the slow side especially the first few episodes of this season. However things are starting to look up, we finally know what Kate did and why, Sawyer[who just keeps on growing on me] is awake, the missing part of the tape has been found, someone pretending to be Walt or is Walt is communicating on the computers and the character of eko is getting more and more interesting, all in all a great episode with a great cliffhanger,

shame about the long LONG wait for the next episode!
  • Turns out what she did was is only half the story, alogn with another piece of the puzzle

One of the things the passengers of Flight 815 is that they all seemed to have parents whose lives were an added burden to them. Locke's father was a con man; Jack's was a drunk; Sun's father is a criminal; Sawyer's mothers affair ended in tragedy. This season we've seen how Shannon's stepmother and Ana Lucia's mothers coldness severely damaged them as people. But now it seems that the person with the most damaged parents is Kate, which led her to finally commit the crime that led to her original arrest. And based on that, hers may have been the most damaged of all.

Kate's mother was a battered woman, abused and beaten down from the man Kate thought was her stepfather. There are also suggestions of molestation. Kate finally kills him in an effort to bring some peace to her mother. And what does Diane, her mother do? She calls the cops the minute her daughter tells her what she's done. Worse, Kate has learned that the man she thought was her father --- Sgt. Sam Austen (we'll be seeing him again soon--- wasn't her father; the drunken abusive stepdad was, and though he wanted to kill him, he didn't have murder in his heart.

All of this is revealed in a series of revelations that come about when Kate sees a black horse on the island. And based on what we see, that horse is the same one that helped her become a fugitive for the first time. The question is, how did the horse get here? If it is the same horse (and given the ghosts that Jack, Sawyer and Sayid have seen, I'm not prepared to rule it out) is it here to symbolize Kate's guilt or to help her make peace with what she's done? The fact that Sawyer sees it himself at the end of the episode doesn't make the question meaningless. After all, maybe its a symbol for him too.

More important is the ghost of Wayne, who seems to be speaking through Sawyer, and tries to choke her early on. Kate reveals every time that she sees Sawyer, she is reminded of the man she hates, and it disgusts her. But it's clear that she's still drawn to him. It's significant that Kate kisses Jack for the first time, and them immediately walks away--- she doesn't think she's worthy of him, even though Jack is as conflicted as she is.

While the episode largely focuses on, well, 'What Kate Did', we do see quite a bit of some other character, and a lot of time in the hatch. Michael is getting his second look at this place (he really just passed through in 'Collision') and being an architect, he notices the blast doors that are supposed to lower if there's some kind of explosion. Locke brushes off their significance, but they will turn out to be a vital part of his time in the hatch, though we don't know it yet.

Far more interesting is a conversation between Eko and Locke, which is one of the highpoints of the season so far. Eko gives his longest speech so far on the show--- the parable of Josiah from the bible, and hsi discovery of the Old Testament. It is a lofty telling, and does engaging, especially when he hands Locke a bible, which Locke opens and finds another segment of the orientation film that we saw near the beginning of the season.

The scene is significant not so much because of any new knowledge that we gain (its actually a bit anticlimactic) but because it demonstrates the real difference between these two men of faith. At one point, Eko asks Locke if he knows the story, and Locke says he doesn't. This is a man who can recite the most obscure anecdotes about history and nature, but doesn't know a thing about a passage from the bible. He has faith, but it is not religious. Eko's would seem to be the more holy of the two, but look what happens while they are splicing the film together when Locke raises the issue of what has happened. "Do not mistake coincidence for fate," he answers. We don't know what motivates Eko (we're going to find out very soon, however) but he may not believe some of the gospel that he preaches--- at least not yet.

On the beach, Sun and Jin are having a joyous reunion, but Sayid is dully picking up the remnants of his life as he buries Shannon. He is haunted by her, and will be in mourning for the next few episodes. One can't help but feel for him--- after all, Sayid has done an awful lot to help the survivors, and he hasn't gotten much in the way of thanks.. Both Jack and Locke look to him for advice on certain things, but they have a habit of ignoring his advice when it suits them. When people moved from the beach to the caves, it was a blow against the majority, but eventually everybody seemed to move there (now they're back on the beach, but it's not because of anything Sayid has done ) Charlie has made an effort to help Sayid, but mostly he just gets in his way, when Hurley learned which side he fought for in the Gulf War, he recoiled liked the man smelled bad and even though Michael got a lot of help from him building the raft, he didn't offer him passage off, which would've seemed at least partly fair. Sayid is outsider, and he's feel it, though it will take another outsider to make him realize his place.

The most shocking part of the episode occurs in the last minute, when Michael, doing exactly what Eko and Locke are being warned against doing in the next room, finds out that his son may still be alive. Michael doesn't stop to think for a minute whether he's being played, he just keeps steamrolling ahead, as he always does with Walt, and because off that attitude, his actions will bring even more hardship to everyone else.

'What Kate Did' is all about ghosts, both real and imagined Everyone may have wanted a blank slate, but their ghosts have followed them here (though only sometimes in corporeal form). Kate thinks she's exorcised part of her demons, but she hasn't. And even when she gets rid of the ones she brought, new ones will come to replace them very fast.
    My Score:8.8
  • Faith vs. Fate

I wasn't too impressed with the Kate part of the episode. It was a liitle unnerving I guess to see Kate in that state. At least we finally got some more backstory on her. I thought her backstory was a good beginning to her life of crime, it helped to almost complete the character we've been seeing on the show for the past year and a half. I'm sure there are still some surprises left in store for us from Kate though.
    I almost broke down when Sayid gave Shannon's eulogy. I remained mostly composed, but I think this finally gave some closure to her death to all of us fans.
    As for the action under the hatch, that really made the show for me. I love the interaction between Locke and Mr. Eko. Their complete foils to eachother. One believes in faith, the other in fate. Mr. Eko's bible anecdote really displayed this attribute. Each week the writers seen to give us a sip of the mystery under the hatch, and the last minute of the show almost felt this a gulp. Finally, some answers about Walt are soon to come, but how many weeks must we suffer?
  • We finally know whatshe did and it was somewhat of a surprise

First of all i must say that eventhough she is one of the most popular charachters, Kate is not that appealing to me. I don't like her backstory that much and I don't always agree with the way the writers develope her charachter. But i did enjoy this episode. I Loved it that she clearly likes Sawyer but ended up Kissing Jack. And the stuff with the horse was just creepy! And the encounter with her real father possessing Sawyer was also creepy but the scene that Sawyer said: That's the sweetest thing anyone ever said to me" was really great. I also didn't expect that she killed her real father. We now know why her mother screamed help when she entered the hospital. And the scene with her stepfather was really really touching. I didn't expect much of this episode but it was really great!
  • Kate's past is revealed, while Locke and Eko make a discovery about the tape. Shannon is burried and Sayid struggles with his grief. Michael connects to an unknown person.

In general, this was an average episode… not outstanding like most of them. There were some great scenes (as always), but overall it wasn't the best episode, although it did reveal a lot about Kate.
    Sawyer is definitely my favourite character on this series... I love seeing his softer side, like when he told Jack he loved Kate. That doesn’t beat the scene when he told Jack about meeting his father in the second to last episode of last season, but it was still touching. My favourite part of the show was when he realized that they weren't saved ("Son of a bitch!"). The scenes with him and Kate were cute ("You know that horse, Freckles")... I can see a love square (not a triangle) on the horizon now that Ana is at there camp. Sawyer-Kate-Jack-Ana... very soap opera-y. We learn a lot about Kate... her past, her family, why she was on the run. Her real father... or the man that she calls ‘father’... and her mother lied to her all her life about her paternity. Her step-father... or her biological father... was an abusive drunk who she hated and who she sees everytime she looks at Sawyer. The horse she was seeing, she thought, was the ghost of her step-father... the man she killed. I think when she touched the horse at the end, she was able to put that part of her life behind her... or at least, for now... and move on. She's an interesting, but complex character, like everyone on that show. She seemed to be going crazy there for awhile and she even said so the Sayid (“... cause I’m going crazy.”). Did Sawyer really choke her, or was that all in her head?
    The scenes with Sayid where very touching, especially at Shannon's funeral ("...we did meet; we did speak. At least, I loved her."). He had to dig her grave... don't you think someone would offer to do that for him? I loved the scene with him and Kate, and him putting the necklace on Shannon's grave ("I saw Walt in the jungle before Shannon was shot... does that make me crazy?").
    Jin finally got the handcuff off his wrist... very freeing. How long has that been on his wrist for? And Hurley provided us with some great comic relief, as always (“So, Rose's husband's white. Didn't see that one coming.”)
    Locke and Eko... very much alike... both men of faith ("Don't mistake coincidence for faith."). Eko is an interesting man... can't wait to see his flashback.
    Finally, Michael... that was a great ending (or cliffhanger, I should say) and makes up for the fact that this episode wasn't the greatest. Could that be really Walt he is talking to? I guess we will find out next episode... or should I say, in January... can I really wait that long?!
  • Kate, too, has daddy issues. And Sawyer issues, and Jack issues.

I feel like Locke at the end of "Deus Ex Machina," when the light from the hatch window reaffirmed his faith in the island. This episode reaffirms my faith in 'Lost,' as it indicates that writers haven't abandoned the narrative that worked so well last season.

The episode does everything you should expect an episode to do: It moved plotlines forward, revealed morsels of information about the hatch and Kate's past, and gave all the major players some time in the spotlight. The secondary characters were again reduced to background noise, but honestly, who really cares what they're up to when the star players are doing so well?

So, what Kate did has finally been revealed. It wasn't surprising in the least, and I think casts an even greater shroud of ambiguity over her character, but the flashback scenes were quick, concise, and thus the best of the season. Her actions may have been predictable, but at least the writers no longer need to skate around the issue. How long it takes her to tell any of the other characters remains to be seen.

Was Wayne really using Sawyer to channel his anger at Kate? It's possible, as we've seen dead fathers come back in various other forms (Jack's apparition, for example). It could just as easily have been Sawyer deliriously questioning his own checkered past, leading Kate to hear what she wanted to hear. What can't be disputed is the horse - a very real horse. It shows an indisputable connection between the island and the outside world, the type of supernatural biggity-boo that's been missing so far this season. I was glad to see Kate confront her past by shooing Sun and trying to draw out Wayne. It's something that many of the other characters aren't yet willing to do, and shows a tremendous amount of growth for her. She may be closer to redemption than any of the others.

Sawyer finally woke up, and was disappointed to find they hadn't been saved. It's good to have him back; the show has experienced a notable decline in snarky sarcasm the last few episodes.

Most importantly, the episode reveals a good deal about the bunker. Michael points out blast doors in the ceiling, to protect from an explosion (or rather, I think, the mysterious sickness). He fiddles around with the electronic equipment, something I'm surprised Sayid never got around to.

Then there's Locke and Eko. Their scene at the table, with Eko revealing the missing piece of film, was one of the best of the season. The relationship between the two of them seems more tenuous than I first expected. "Don't mistake coincidence for fate," Eko warns Locke. To a point, I think his rational approach may be right. Locke is capable of finding mystical meaning in just about everything. But at the same time, Eko seems to be ignoring the incredible number of coincidences that have happened to bring the two pieces of tape together. Locke and Eko both had to survive the plane crash, survive attacks by monsters and Others (when so many of their companions have died), discovered the bunkers, found the tape in the bunkers, and (in Eko's case) thinking it important enough to carry across the island. And that's a few of the coincidences relating to just these guys. Too account everything that's happened to coincidence is just as misguided as accounting it all to fate.

I still expect to Locke and Eko to keep close. Their views may not align perfectly, but their personalities are too much alike (and too different from many of the other characters) for them to become adverseries. I more expect them to challenge each other's perspectives, for mutual benefit.

The cliffhanger at the end was killer. Apparently the computer can be contacted from another on the island, but can't initiate the contact itself. Is it really Walt on the other side? Possibly. Is it the Others? Probably. The popular theory among many viewers is that it's all part of the Dharma Initiative's behavioral experiment, but that seems too easy to me. There's too much danger and too many supernatural occurrences - murderous monsters, murderous Others, connections with the outside world - for this to just be some academic experiment. That may have been all it was at one point, but it sure as hell isn't now.
  • Time to reveal a major piece of the puzzle. Spoilers ahead.

As Lost is largely based on its mysteries, the writers must decide how long to keep the viewers in the dark before revealing a satisfying answer, along with what hints they’ll drop along the way. This episode details the origin of Kate’s criminal past and, unlike other events like this, the reveal happens in the prologue. The writers know how huge a fanbase Lost has and how much discussion it provokes at watercoolers and on internet forums, so they must be aware of the criticism that this season has progressed slowly. What Kate did is one of the biggest questions among fans (probably the biggest is how Locke became paralyzed). By revealing it, they must’ve hoped that it would ease some worries. The actual crime, even though it is patricide, may be disappointing, but it may be interesting to see in Lost’s long term scope.

Like Jack, Kate’s flashbacks to date have been told in reverse. Now we’re at the beginning with her original crime: killing her sleazy father. It is a rather audacious thing to do for someone who never had any run ins with the law before. The end reason isn’t as obvious as we were lead to expect, which some found hard to believe. Kate was never molested, raped or beaten by Wayne, although he did make some really disgusting, incestuous (even if he didn’t know it) comments to her. She killed him because she found out he was her real father and her mother was too blinded by her “love” to realize what kind of person he was.

Kate, like some on the island, believes in fate. She felt that because her father was a bad man, she could never be a good woman. It is interesting to see the philosophical ideas brought forth on Lost. Kate doesn’t believe in the idea of tabula rasa, a theory developed by the real John Locke (ironically, her first episode was titled “Tabula Rasa”). Are we born with a blank slate, with our personalities formed by our surroundings and experiences, or are we born with some intrinsic blueprint? Kate clearly thinks the first, but that could be disproven.

Both of Kate’s fathers parallel the men she’s interested in on the island. Sgt Austen is similar to Jack as Wayne is similar to Sawyer. She never thought she could be good since Wayne would always be a part of her, yet she is still drawn to Sawyer. This does help her settle her problems with her father, as Wayne appears to channel the catatonic Sawyer. One of the things the writers pointed out in their commentary podcast (which I hope they do often) is that these characters have problems with people off the island, and these unresolved issues spill over to those who are on the island.

We see it on the island, as Kate’s lack of sleep causes her to become unglued. The transference of Wayne to Sawyer’s feverish system could’ve been the result of lack of sleep, much like Jack experienced in “White Rabbit”. She’s trying to figure out her daddy issues by talking to Sawyer, who thankfully wakes up (I’ve missed lively Sawyer) and by kissing Jack, which isn’t magic and just ends awkwardly.

Kate now joins several other characters who have some animal tied into their identity. Walt has the polar bear, Sawyer has the boar, Charlie has the moth and now Kate has the horse. For Kate, this horse represents freedom, as the horse provided Kate a venue to escape from the Marshall. It isn’t a halucination. How did *the* horse find its way to the island? It could be that the horse is involved in one of the Dharma Initiative’s experiments like the shark. It's pressence could be explained simply because Kate is on the island too.

It was great to see the Marshall back on the show. The dynamic they’ve shared in past episodes may be a stock relationship (the criminal and the man who aggressively pursues the criminal), but through the writing and the acting, it is fresh. I would like to know more about him and how this particular case caught his interest, since it brought him, too, to the island.

One subtle clue thrown in the episode that many (including myself) missed the first time was the appearance of Sayid on a TV in Kate’s flashback. This was the scene where she sees Austen at the Army Recruitment center. Some wondered what Sayid would be doing on TV. Considering his time in the Republican Guard, it isn’t too hard to see why. I saw one telling promotional photo from this episode possibly explaining why he would be on TV, but I will avoid discussing it now because the Sayid cameo was even briefer than Hurley’s cameo in “…in Translation”.

Ana-Lucia, after a few high profile episodes, spends most of the episode on the sidelines, brooding over what she did (and making something out of those large sticks.) She is still confused, but is more peaceful than her panicked state which marked most of “Collision”. It’s nice that they didn’t just forget it and have her merge with the tribe. The funeral for Shannon certainly isn’t making her more eager to socialize either.

I’m so glad to see Jin and Sun together and happy (as evidenced by Hurley’s thumbs up and their peaceful walk out of that hut). However, it must be a little awkward for them to be intimate right in the middle of the camp. At least Shannon and Sayid were a ways off. I’m still looking forward to seeing some guy standing near the tent with a shocked expression on his face.

Michael, for lack of asking “what the hell is this” in the last episode gets to explore the hatch, which allows us to learn more about the hatch in return. Michael’s prowess with architecture shows him the blast doors, something no one else had seen and Desmond failed to tell them about. Blast doors certainly elevate the extremity of the incident in the audience’s imagination.

This curiosity leads him and Eko (who must’ve had a bell go off when he heard there was a film) to watch The Orientation video. Locke naively believes that whatever was cut was only a frame or two here and there, but fans knew that there was more missing, especially considering the film lapses at several important junctions, one of which details what the computer must not be used for. It is interesting that Locke is shown this way, and it helps set up the Eko-Locke relationship arc.

The missing segments of the film certainly raise certain questions. Why were these pieces removed from the original film? Who did it? Why is it stored on the other side of the island? The theory that the film was worn down and had to be cut from the film isn’t credible anymore: it would be too much of a coincidence even for Lost. Perhaps it is part of the experiment, if it is more psychological. Would someone try to use it for communication if they didn’t know it from the film?

Before Eko tells Locke about the film, he tells him the story of Josiah and the discovery of what would become the Old Testament. I’m not quite sure how parallel the missing footage is to the Old Testament, but the scene between these two men of faith, one more logical than the other, is critical to these two characters. Locke and Eko seem to be the characters who will get be bitter enemies, or become good friends (perhaps that’s why the Gilgamesh clue was thrown in the last episode).

The ending is particularly interesting considering the twist involving the Walt (or is it?) instant message. So much emphasis was placed on the missing piece of the Orientation film that it is unexpected, but still works in the frame of the show. We must remember that approximately six days have passed since Walt’s abduction, so Michael is still experiencing potent emotions. This moment could be served as a catalyst, as one person pointed out on a message board, for the second part of this season: the search for the lost children. Obviously Michael is not going to ignore it.

There are certainly a lot of questions. Was the person on the other end Walt? Was it a person? Where is the other end of this conversation coming from? If it was Walt, was he writing from another Dharma station or using the same type of power that he used to manifest himself for Shannon? Although Michael didn’t initiate it, would this qualify as something warranting of another incident? Is another incident iminent (probably yes by season’s end)? This was a great cliffhanger to leave the last episode of 2005 (a month and a half wait! Urgh!) Well, at least it gave me time to catch up on my Lost reviews.
  • That was it?

Well, we know all about Kate, now, don't we? That was it? She's "White trash" at heart and Sawyer truly is her soulmate? Frankly, they could have summed up Kate's background in ten minutes or so and left the rest of the episode to the much more interesting developments surrounding the missing film clips. Sure, they arranged it so they could dribble it out slowly over the next few episodes, but that only makes things more irritating once you realize we'll have to wait for those episodes to come after the "Christmas break". Another mystery within a mystery within a surprise. Ho humm.
  • This was once again an excellent episode and finally we find out 'What Kate Did'...

We have been waiting for so long to find out what Kate did so I paid more attention to the flashbacks than the show. I was surpised because i thought she would have done something like a robbery or theft or attempted murder but not murder.

It was very clever that we found out that the guy she killed was her real father, rather than the Army General guy. It was quite unfair that the mother had to tell what Kate did but thats why she was on the run.

Back on the island she kissed Jack which was ubfair to him because she actually loves Sawyer and thats what happens.

This was an episode which wasn't really that exciting but it had to be there to catch up on the characters.
  • I saw one mistake in this eppisode

lol I saw one mistake in this eppisonde at 41.min there is an hand standing in to the frames funny stuff nice eppisode. looking forward to see next one and so one and so one and so one and so one and so one and so one and os one
  • My indepth review of What Kate Did

Lost Season 2: Episode 9: What Kate Did
    Episode Centric: Kate

Kate
    Many comments I have read suggested that Kate had no good reason to do what she did. But when I think of the problem I see deep psychological issues. Kate, who has all this anger built up at Wayne throughout the years, finally explodes and kills him. Some think that Kate’s reasoning was not very strong, but what I believe to be the cause was that she thought, at least in her subconscious mind, by killing her father she would be free of the curse of his genes. But we know this is not true and she actually becomes more like him by doing so. I don’t believe the murder was very well planned though. If her “stepfather” dies in an explosion and she suddenly disappears than people might be getting suspicious. And telling her mother when she knew she loved the jerk was a wrong move. Did she not expect her to say anything? And is it just me or did it seem like the man she had thought was her father was a noble person? That woman cheats on him while he’s in Korea and he tries to keep the truth from Kate because his ex-wife loves Wayne. He also tried to take Kate when she was 5 and even gave her a head start before he called to turn her in. As for the horse all I have to say is that “the plot thickens.”

Inside the Hatch
    I loved the suspense when Jack and Locke came back into the hatch to find the alarm going off, and finding Sawyer lying on the ground. Later when Sun left, leaving Kate with Sawyer was a bad move on her part, unless she didn’t know what happened. When Eko was telling the story to Locke it seemed to me like he (Locke) thought of it as fairy tale. One thing I have noticed is that these two have very different kind of faiths, such as when Eko told Locke not to confuse consentience as faith. I may be the only person that thinks that they may not get along very well. About the film, that’s what I expected the missing piece about the computer to say all the way from Orientation… except for the fact that it might cause another incident. When that sound started I expected for a second that Michael might have messed up the computer. Then when I saw someone typing a message on the computer I knew it had to be from was Walt. (Or was it?)

Sayid and Shannon’s funeral
    This scene had some beautiful music. But it seems to me like the islanders aren’t making too much of a deal of Shannon’s death. When Boone died Jack was ready to kill Locke, even though he didn’t directly kill him. Now Ana Lucia killed Shannon and he goes out to give her a drink. This just goes to show that Sayid is a much more reasonable man than Jack. Sayid showed some great grief during the funeral scene, even though I’ve always wondered how a man like Sayid could love Shannon. I also thought it was polite thing for Eko to do to go to the funeral, even though he didn’t know her. It was inconsiderate of Kate to not go to the funeral; staying with Sawyer should have been the doctors job.

Romance between our Islanders
    I knew from the first episode that Kate and Jack would kiss… but not like that. The music made it seem creepy and awkward. I have to wonder why Kate did that. Was it to shut Jack up or for some other reason? As for Kate saying that Sawyer would get a kick out of her treating him like a baby; I very much doubt that. Sawyer seems like a man that would rather take care of himself. And I wonder if Sawyer meant someone other than Kate when he said “I love her.” Another part of this episode that I loved, was how Sawyer thought they had been rescued… then they step out into the jungle. (“Son of a @#$%”) Why did Jack say that all women are crazy, and what is also what is Jacks deal with Ana Lucia? He seemed to really be into Kate and than Ana Lucia comes in. He even brought AL a drink (That could very well be used for medical purposes.) He doesn’t even seem to care that she shot Shannon. (I wouldn’t of cared, but that’s because I’ve always hated Shannon.)

Read more of my reviews at johnlocke108reviews.blogspot.com

• Cool episode.

This episode was mostly about Kate's background and how and why she killed her biologic father. This being said, not much time is left for what is going on on the island. In fact, we can see that Kate is attracted by both Jack and Sawyer, Jack being the good guy she has always been looking for and Sawyer the bad guy with whom she shares a lot. Even if she kisses Jack in this episode, she seems really close to Sawyer and I think that we are soon going to be given a Kate/Sawyer love relationship. Moreover, there is also the discovery of a part of the film about the Dharma Organization that had been cut which is found by the characters and it leads to a nice Mr. Eko/Locke dialogue. Moreover, at the end, Mickael sees the word "Dad" on the computer screen and starts chatting with either his son or anybody else (maybe with the "others", like a kind of test). That was a pretty good end which in my opinion revived the show. Concerning the other characters, we see a bit of Sayid (burying Shannon's body), Ana-Lucia, Hurley, Charlie, but not really much.

So, to sum up, that was a good episode with a mysterious ending...
< 1 2 3 4