Lost

White Rabbit

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 20, 2004 on ABC

• I love this show

I liked this episode. My one gripe is why did no one else swim out ot help jack save the girl?? Can no one else swim?

A lot of development on tonight's episode of Lost, with the pilot being Jack-centric, it really surprised me that there was already another episode focused on him only five episodes, but surely, I am glad that they did have an episode like this one.

We know why he was traveling from Sydney, and also, I noticed an ongoing theme that keeps on coming back from time to time: "Everything happens for a reason." The drowning at the beginning was chilling, even more chilling, since the lady wasn't even meant to be on that flight.

Anyways we discover a lot of things about Jack and his father and I loved the comparison with the white rabbit from Alice and Wonderland, very clever, I liked it. The group going against each other for water was also entertaining. This show has not made an error yet, I'll tell you that much.
  • Awesome.

Boone steals the decreasing water supply in a misguided attempt to help everyone, but the survivors turn on him. A sleep-deprived Jack chases after what appears to be his deceased father in the forests and eventually discovers caves with fresh water. Jack comes to terms with his role as leader. In flashbacks, Jack goes to Australia to retrieve his deceased father. I love the start if this episode, little Jack reminds me of somebody I know, I love the flashbacks there amazing in the show, really clever. So somebody is drowning, I love it well, the scene anyway. I'm glad Jack saves Boone, I love him. Oh and I love the way Sawyer is so sneaky and has his nicknames.
  • Our first real look at the center of the show

Because of his skills, everyone has been looking at Jack as if he were the leader, and it's pretty clear that is a role he can manage, but doesn't want to accept. At its core, 'White Rabbit' is the episode where Jack finally gives into the inevitable, and takes the role of leader. Of course, since this is Lost, there's a lot more to it.
    Jack has been burning the candle at both ends since the plane crash (and, as we find out in this episode, for quite some time before that) and now it begins to take its toll. In the opening sequence, one of the survivors goes swimming, and Boone, the lifeguard, tries to save her, but nearly drowns himself. Jack dives in, pulls him back to shore, then goes back--- but it's too late. Jack takes this very personally, even though he didn't know this woman at all. Scarcely has he begun to deal with this problem, when another crisis emerges--- the water supply is starting to run low. Everyone's looking to Jack, and then things get worse--- he sees the man in the suit in the woods. Only it's not just a man in a suit--- it's his father.

Jack obviously doubts his sanity, but nevertheless goes chasing after the phantom. But he becomes so obsessed that he ends up chasing it over a cliff, which would have killed him--- if not for the appearance of Locke.

The two men have their first real conversation, where Jack reveals that he's chasing a ghost. Locke then tells him what he knows --- that the island is different. The others don't want to talk about it, but they all instinctually know it. Locke is convinced that this is happening to Jack for a reason--- mainly as a test to prove to himself that he can lead.

A note: Locke says that he has "looked into the eyes of this island and what I saw was beautiful." What he doesn't consider is that it might be beautiful to him, the paralyzed man who can now walk, but it not might be for Jack. Perhaps the island is testing Jack somehow, and what we will come to realize is that while he can accept his role as leader, he can not quite buy what Locke is selling. This is a fundamental difference between the men, which will end up being a huge part of the drama of the show.

For the first time, we get a good look at the kind of man Jack was pre-island, and more importantly the relationship that he had with his father. Jack's father, like him, was a surgeon, and it's clearly suggested that their relationship was not a good one. The entire reason Jack went to Australia was to find his father, who was the midst of something unexplained (we'll find out what, but not from Jack) Eventually, he drank himself to death. Jack was accompanying his father's body back to the States, and it's clear from the last flashback, that he was hoping that he could finally end their tormented relationship. How ironic, that even though Jack eventually finds the coffin which carried his father, his body is gone. Now he can never lay it to rest.

(Another mystery: The coffin was shut, but the body wasn't in it. What happened? I would like to float the possibility that somehow the island is using Jack's father in some way. Over the past few years, several of the characters are revealed to have been involved with Jack's father, and because of that importance, the island took it, and I believe at some point in the shows final seasons, we will understand that purpose.)

Perhaps one reason the body was used was to lead Jack to a cave with freshwater spring. Jack also finds scattered parts of the plane and the coffin. This leads to him finally accepting, however reluctantly, his role as leader. When he brings the water back, he tells them that it is time for the others to start preparing for the possibility that rescue will not come, and that if "they can't live together, they're going to die alone" However, not everybody will take Jack's word as gospel, and that's going to lead to problems.

Jack is so front and center during this episode, everyone seems to fade into the background a bit. But we do get some more information. One of the more prominent characters is Claire. During the episode, she faints from lack of water, which leads to another crisis, when the already diminishing water is mysteriously taken. This sets up another sweet moment between her and Charlie. Claire knows that everyone thinks of her as a potential time bomb--- how long dot hey have before this new problem develops--- but Charlie is one of the only people who doesn't seem scared by this. There is definitely something between them, but Claire doesn't know Charlie's demon yet.

Boone seems to be trying to prove himself. He demonstrated that when he tried to save the woman that drowned, and he clearly blamed Jack for coming back with him. Then when Jack disappears, Boone tries to use the water to help Claire, arguing weakly that someone had to step up. A mini-mob begins forming, which is dissipated by the return of Jack. Boone isn't happy about this either.

Sawyer seems to be setting himself up the unofficial black market of this island. This becomes clear when he tries to bargain with Shannon over the price of some insect spray. When the water disappears, he's the obvious scapegoat, which becomes more suspicious when Sun mysteriously shows up with water. He reveals that he traded the water for a fish Jin caught --- that must have been fun for both of them--- but not before Kate tries to force it out of him, something which clearly delights him. Sun and her husband are clearly getting worried about their crisis, but their approaches are different--- she wants to try and communicate with the others to try and find leadership, he says that he will provide for her--- hence the trade with Sawyer. There is also a moment where Sayed tries to interrogate Sun, and replies to Kate's intervention with the reply that she understands what he's saying. Perhaps Sayed has insight into this from personal experience, and it turns out, he knows what he's talking about.

Kate seems to be taking on the role of a miniature enforcer--- she doesn't seem to want to lead, but she seems drawn to authority figures like Jack, Locke and Sayed. This is particular ironic considering her flashback, but there is clearly compassion in her behavior. Locke is assuming the role of half survivalist (he gathers water from the moisture on the leaves) part mystical yogi. When he goes into the woods after Jack, he assures Kate he knows how to find him, and there he is. The obvious answer to this is that he tracked Jack, but what if there was another way? Did the island guide him like it seemed to guide Jack?

The episode ends with Jack telling Kate why he was on the plane, but not why he went on his search in the first place. Maybe it's because he has trust issues or (more likely) he doesn't want to admit that what he saw was real. But this is a critical episode for Jack, and it demonstrates (if there was doubt before) that Matthew Fox is the right actor to be at the center of Lost Few people could demonstrate being strength and fear in the same character, but, as he demonstrated on Party of Five, Fox knows how to do it. The hallucination doesn't appear for awhile, but Jack still has real ghosts, and they're going to be biting at him on the island over and over.
    My score:9.2
  • We Love Your Feet, We Despise Your Hands

If you had fallen in love with Locke after last week's episode (I had), it's time to get frustrated with him. Because he rescues Jack from falling down a cliff. And then he gives him a pep talk! A pep talk! -

Jack, Jack, Jack. Handsome, charming, helpful, brilliant. Perfection. Jack. Shepard, Jack. Anyhow, as you have probably understood by the overwhelming prologue, this is an episode almost entirelly dedicated to JACK and his drama. JACK was a doctor back in the day, a doctor who was helpful and amazing and kind and always wanted to help people, even though his Bad Dad didn't always allow him to. But God punished him about not being the Dad JACK always wanted to have (that would be kind and respectful) by killing him. But Jack is sad anyway because he's so freakin' awesome. On the Island, Jack is haunted by his father hallucination but he is so smart that he falls down a cliff while struggling with getting some answers. Fortunately (????) he is rescued by Locke (!!!?!?) who afterwards gives him a little speech about... I don't even remember what it was about. Then, JACK gets all angry and destroys his Daddy's empty coffin. BUT!!! it doesn't matter he got a little mad 'cause he subsequently discovered a source of fresh water (he's amazing!). Finally, he headed down the beach to give his fellow survivors a speech about how he great he is. He also informs them that he will become their leader, although nobody asked him to. Great! -

As you PROBABLY have figured out yourselves I am not a big Jack worshiper. That's why I thought this episode was OK, but nothing really special. How could an episode really be great after all that Jack overdose?
  • This episode very much feels like your in Wonderland...

This is one of my least favourite episodes of Lost's first season. Why you ask? because the flashbacks are not very intresting, there is one decentscene were Jack goes to see see his deceased father. The flashbacks are dissapointing after seeing Kate's and Locke's but other than the poor flashbacks the rest of the episode is very intresting. The first scene which involves a woman drowning is a great treat to rewatch in my opinion because I usually forget all about it so when it comes on I go "Oh yeah I remember this part". This is one of the creepiest episodes of the series, the scenes with Jack looking for his father are really wierd but keeps you hooked because you want to know where he is leading Jack. Locke once again is awesome in this episode, he hints to Jack that he knows more about the island than most, the scene has some great dialogue. We see a bit more of Sun and Jin in this episode which is good considering the next episode centers around them. I noticed the writers do this a lot in the first season, they show more of a character the week before their centric episode. The "Live together, Die alone" speech is awesome one of the best leadership speeches of the series (there are loads of them), overall this episode is not one of my favourites of the season but I still give it a 9 that just shows how good season 1 is.
  • Now jack is the Center!!!

After 4 episodes, now we have the chance to look at Jack past.

Because the last episode was superb, it could create much expectation for this episode, since it seems the writers wanted to replicate the same results, as the previous episode.

Jack flashbacks too, connected very well to the island events. Jack as to face his demons, at least it appears that way. Since his the main character and the leader, he would be the perfect person to resolve the water problem.

Another great part of the episode was John Locke.In this episode, he act like a guide, we see him passing some of his knowlege onto Jack.
  • In Wonderland

Jack ve a su padre (quien luego descubriremos ha muerto) adentrándose en la selva. Jack nos cuenta algo de su relación con él, no la mejor. Y por qué lo ve si no esta ahí? Qué es lo que tiene esta isla de especial?

"Así, pues, en aquella vasta caverna, entreveía por fin los suburbios del mundo prohibido, mundo al que, fuera de los ciegos, pocos mortales deben haber tenido acceso, y cuyo descubrimiento se paga con terribles castigos y cuyo testimonio nunca hasta hoy ha llegado inequívocamente a manos de los hombres que allá arriba siguen viviendo su candoroso sueño, desdeñándolo o encogiéndose de hombros ante los signos que deberían despertarlos: algún sueño, alguna fugaz visión, el relato de un niño o un loco."

Erensto Sabato, Sobre héroes y tumbas, Informe sobre ciegos.
  • Excellent

Some things happen in this episode that didn't go mentioned for a very long time such as Jack finding his father's empty coffin. I also think the fact that Locke saved Jack from falling off the cliff may come into play again one day. Another thing I didn't realize until just now is that White Rabbit was the first time they used an Alice in Wonderland reference for the first full Jack episode (the other being Through the Looking Glass). Jack obsessive tendencies to want to help people begin in this episode with the Boone/Joanna drowning incident. Overall, an outstanding episode. Walkabout was a tough act to follow though.
  • Another great episode of Lost, I am only 5 into the first series and I know that this is going to be compeling watching, the intrigue will get the better of me until I know all the answers to all of those questions.

Jack saves a guy from drowning in the sea, only to discover that he had problems when he was trying to rescue a girl from drowning, she is still out there, even though he is tolde to go after her, he continues to save the boy, who confronts him about it afterwards, especially as the girl drowned.
    The water is running low - only 18 bottles left, we have Charlie and Hurley trying to get answers from JAck, who hasn't slept in, well forever by the looks of it, he is beginning to see the man in the suit more and more, then we discover that this is his father.

We get flashbacks of Jack with regards his father and discover that he went off to Australia to bring his father back, only he can't find him. Jack goes into the jungle, hence white rabbit i believe, chasing the father image, only to be rescued from a perilous position by John Locke. They talk, and whilst John goes to look for water for the others, John tells Jack that he needs to continue his journey.

John does his soul searching in the jungle, follows a noise, finds a source of water and a part of the plane also. Just as they are about to lynch the culprit who stole the water. Jack comes back at the right time, makes a wonderful speech and saves the day regarding working together and the water situation and opening eyes to the fact that they can't just wait to be rescued, that they must start living, contributing and to stop thinking of number one from now on.

Kate and Jack complete the episode by chatting briefly over their day, then for Jack to open up regarding his fathers' death, but he did leave out his grieving session that he had at the wreckage earlier that evening. Wise choice, better to appear to be rugged and a leader, as you know that they are going to get it on in some form, but it will no doubt be a will they, won't they situation.
  • A well done episode all about Jack!

This episode was a great follow up of Walkabout with even more exciting moments.
    First I'll have to say that this show is absolutely awesome because of the suspense, excitement and action. It started with a woman out in the sea crying out for help because she was drowning and so was Boone. Jack tried to save them both but failed so the woman died and Boone lived. it was a sad moment but emotional. It made me nervous knowing that the water supply was running out which brought the 47 survivors into panic. I was still wondering who that man was that kept watching Jack from time to time (which was also mentioned in the previous episode). The flashbacks were great and revealing which put the whole episode together! Jack took off after the man whom was his father in law. It was also exciting when someone stole all the remaining bottles of water which Claire needed so Locke decided to go into the jungle and try to find Jack. It was sad how his father died in Australia form a heart attack. It was also stunning when Jack found a new camp known as 'the caves'! with fresh water. When Kate and Sayid tried to find the person responsible for stealing the water they came across Sawyer which was funny knowing that when something goes wrong it's normally him who caused or did it! But actually it was Boone which started a fight between him and Charlie until Jack came back with fascinating news about his discovery of the caves. overall I think the caves are a better place to live at because it's safer. But overall a wonderful episode which tells us why 'everything happens for a reason'. can't wait for next weeks episode!
  • Jack faces his demons.

Let me just start out by saying that as a whole, I really, really liked this episode an awful lot. The main reason that I liked this episode so much is that it focused mostly around Jack, and he has quickly become one of my most favorite characters on the show. I think that Jack is such a fascinating character, and it was nice to learn some more background information about him. Another reason that I liked this episode so much is that I thought that it had some really nice humorous moments that I gave this episode a nice touch. I would also have to say that out of all the episodes of Lost that I have seen so far, this episode is definitely my favorite. It was such an exciting episode. All in all, I thought that this was a very well written and very well acted episode of Lost by everyone involved, and I can't wait to continue watching my season one DVD set of Lost.
  • Jack gets a chance to face his demons.

Jack gets his time in the spotlight in this episode. Jack becomes curious about a strange man who he sees on the island. We get to see his past, including his troubled relationship with his father, and why he is so reluctant to become the leader of the survivors.

I thought that this episode was a very good one. I liked his relationship with his father, and his search for the strange man on the island, and especially the great way that the search ends, with a very symbolic and emotional scene.

Another great part of the episode was John Locke. In the previous episode, we learned just what the island means to him, and why he acts the way he does. In this episode, we see him passing some of his knowlege onto Jack. It also makes me think that the two will end up being equally important to the survivors, with Jack being their leader in terms of making decisions, and John being their spiritual leader, showing the people what the island can do to improve their lives.
  • 'What if everything that has happened so far, happened for a reason...' Lost just got spooky!

Its day six on the mysterious island and Jack is in need of sleep. Due to his tiedness he is seeing things...or is he? After he fails to save a drowning woman he begins to blame himself and in a series of flashbacks we find out his back story and all about his fathers death, the person that he keeps seeing. His character is given a lot more depth and it gives us a little more understanding about his past and his out look on life. The supernatural side of Lost is really coming through and Locke's talk with Jack is well written and pretty spooky. In many ways the episode is perfect, exploding open with a fast pace action scene but then continuing to focus on character and emotions. Fresh water is discovered which your kind of left thinking, was it supposed to happen? After what Locke said 'what if everything that happens, happens for a reason' well this maybe proof that it does. When Jack fines his fathers coffin which was on the plane, it is empty and at the moment i'm not entirly sure what that means. Locke was healed so why can't his father come back to life...just a theory of mine. The truth is i don't no what to expect from the future, the show seems totaly unpredictable which is a good thing as from the word go it has produced plenty of 'shocker' moments. A very strong episode overall and as a series it just gets better the more you watch.
  • Hurley: Maybe the dog can find water. Charlie: Better if no one knows how little is left. Hurley: I mean, dogs can find pot and bombs, so I'm sure they can find water.

Boone steals the decreasing water supply in a misguided attempt to help everyone, but the survivors turn on him. A sleep-deprived Jack chases after what appears to be his deceased father in the forests and eventually discovers caves with fresh water. Jack comes to terms with his role as leader. In flashbacks, Jack goes to Australia to retrieve his deceased father. A good episode of Lost but not as good as the first four, probably one of the worst episodes of Lost so far, but doen't mean that it is bad. i give the episode "White Rabbit" a 9.1 out of 10.
  • "I've looked into this island and what I saw was beautiful" White Rabbit completes the five introductory episodes which serve as a template for how the rest of the series would play out.

Another early success for this series and one which I feel is sadly underated. I think it is a pivotal addition to the opening introductory episodes and is packed with creepy mystery elements creating an uneasy tension throughout as well as essential character background for Jack Shepherd. Even thought they are not as attention grabbing as Locke's flashbacks, and far less eventful, they do not seem to harm the momentum of the storyline, as Boone's did in Hearts and Minds later this season. What makes Jack's flashbacks less irritable than some of the other character's is that the island stuff concerning him is always totally gripping. All the Best Cowboys have Daddy Issues and Do no Harm also have amazing island drama with terrifc momentum, that even if the flashbacks are slow moving or uneventful, they'd be easily forgiven as they back up a terrific island narrative.
    White Rabbit is well written and this shows particularly in the Locke / Jack scene, where Locke opens up for the first time on his thoughts about the power of the island.
    Locke says that the eye of the island he looked into in Walkabout was beautiful. What is this monster? It can't appear as terrifying as it seemed in the Pilot, despite brutally killing the Pilot. Does what he saw represent the island's power, a power that healed him?
    These questions still remain unanswered.
    This episode is full of mystery including the ghostly appearance of Jack's father, another plot point that remains unanswered. Answers aside his appearance certainly makes for some totally creepy moments and the music helps to give the scenes that horror movie touch. There are definately several horror references, even if they are not trying to be horrific. The moment where Jack discovers the caves and sees the dolls in the water is spine-tingling, as is the moment when Jack opens the coffin to find it is empty.
    But it is not all creepshow and there are several wonderfully emotional character moments. The moment where Jack smashes his fathere's coffin is heartbreaking and you can feel the loss and remorse he feels with every blow he strikes on the wood. By episode's end Jack finally gets used to his leadership potential and delivers a perfect "hero" speech.
    Another classic episode of Lost.
  • Follow the white ra... Christian Shepard?

Another amazing episode. Many people wear this one down for some reason, but in my books it's on the same level as "Walkabout". Sure, there's not spectacular reveal in the end, but the rest of the episode feels tighter, and the Jack/Locke dialouge is I think something that DEFINES the show on a whole.

The key of the episode was the relationship between Jack and his father, Christian. I thought it was really interesting, and can't wait to learn more how and why Christian became what he became. The island scenes were simply mind bogging with Jack seeing his father. Was it just a vision, or was it more than that? My tip: It was way more than that. Overall, a neat episode with several twists and great dialouge. The musical ending was a bit unneeded, but still, great.
  • The Illusion

Jack couldn't save Joanna, one of the survivors and she drowned but he managed to save Boone who was trying to save Joanna. Meanwhile because of exhaustion Jack starts hallucinating a man in suit and he goes to the jungle to track him down and almost ends up falling off a cliff but Lock saves him and tells him that everyone is looking at him like their leader. Jack tracks the illusion down and he finds a cave with fresh water and there a coffin which is EMPTY.
    FLASHBACK JACK:
    Jack had some huge fight with his father and his father went to Australia becuase of that and Jack's mother tells him to go and bring him back. Jack came to Australia but too late because his father was found dead and Jack now needs to bring his body back to USA. Christian was the man Jack was seeing on the island but the coffin he found was empty.
    Another great episode of this fabulous show.
  • Jack and his fathers past

This was definitely not one of my favorite episodes. Even thought we see the connection between Jack and the man in the suit that he sees, it really wasn't as good as the other episodes. We later find out that this mysterious man that Jack see throughout the episode is his father. White rabbit laid down the foundation for the reason why Jack was on the flight and we start to see the relationship between him and his father. I felt bad when I found out that the water supply was running low. Its good thin Jack found a supply off in the woods. This was a pretty average episode in my opinion. I know Lost has a lot more to offer so I plan to stay tuned.
  • It was alright!

Jack sees the mysterious man again. The water supply is running out and water is desperately significant, especially for some like Claire. After Boone fails to rescue a woman who is drowning, Jack goes after her, but gets Boone instead. The woman drowns. The water supply has been stolen. Jack follows the man and it turns out to be his dead father! He thinks he is going crazy. Locke assures him that he isn't going crazy and that he is the leader. Jack ends up finding fresh water on the island and finding his father's coffin. It is empty though. Boone is the one who stole the water, everyone starts arguing, but then Jack comes back to lead the group.

This episode was pretty good! It wasn't that exciting and I didn't really enjoy the flashbacks as much as last episode. This episode gets an 8.5 out of 10 from me!
  • Hero is born

Dr. Jack Shephard is not able to save a survivor drowning in the sea and he becomes affected by the incident and the pressure of the community pointing him as a leader. Jack has visions of his father in the island and tries to chase him. Meanwhile, the finishing water supply is stolen, but Jack resolves his inner problems with his past and finds a source of water.

This good episode discloses the past of Jack Shephard and the reasons why he was in flight 815. It calls the attention that all the characters disclosed to this moment have some sort of trouble in the past. Jack, for example, has an unresolved situation with his father
  • A Good Episode But Not Great

I found White Rabbit a good episode but in my opinion it dragged on a bit.
    The episode starts off with a great with Jack swimming after a girl who is drowning but he save Boone after Boone goes after her.
    After these events Charlie and Hurley tell Jack the water supply is low but jack doesnt know what to do and he runs into the jungle chaseing a misterous man.
    The man is reveled to be Jacks deceased dad Jack runs through the jungle looking for him after a long talk with Locke (who is collecting water) jack finds his dead fathers coffin in the caves and the coffin is empty.
    meanwhile at the camp someone stole the water it is revealed Boone did after realising that it was runnig low charlie and boone are about to fight before Jack returns and splits it up.
  • Enough of Jack already!

Jack episodes bore me. It is probably because ever since his first one, he has not changed one bit. He is and always will be the over committed doctor who just drives you nuts! I do love the stuff with the other survivors though as always. The manifestation of his dad can be summed up with two words: too much.

I already hate one person on the island, now they had to bring a dead relative back to life!

Since the character centric episodes are usually supposed to mean that the person goes through a change or revelation, not just to learn about their past. The writers really missed the mark on this one.
  • "But if we can't live together, we're gonna die alone."

The famous words spoken by Jack continue to have great significance to this day (July 9, 2007), although for Jack to have spoken them is a big step by him. This episode gives Jack his first full flashback, which is surprising, because it’s the fifth episode of the series. As with the other flashbacks, it really serves to introduce who the character is before going deeper into their past, but it also provides the viewer with a very interesting look into the way Jack’s mind operates.

The first couple of flashbacks show Jack as a child. He gets into a fight after being told he won’t be attacked as long as he stays down. When he gets up to fight back, he’s beaten down again, once by the bullies, and again by his father, who basically tells Jack he’s a failure. John Terry plays Mr. Shephard perfectly, without making him a one-dimensional, overbearing father. You can really tell that the character thinks and makes decisions and he feels like a real person, which is a credit to the acting. These are the first flashbacks that actually focus on what lies beneath the surface of the character instead of just showing us a piece of their past. Jack repeats to Locke exactly what his father had told him. The only problem with him saying it is that it is completely false. Jack says that he would make a terrible leader, and that he’d just fail. However, Jack has not had a significant failure yet. However, as we see in the beginning, when Joanna drowns, and when Marc Silverman is getting the crap beaten out of him, Jack refuses to let go of things. He sees them through to the end, no matter how they turn out, and sometimes continues to fight them after they are gone.

His father is clearly an example of this. His father died in Sydney, yet Jack runs off into the jungle to follow an apparition of him. Both Kate and later Jack himself admit that it was just a hallucination, brought on by the unusual circumstances Jack has found himself in-he hasn’t slept, hasn’t had anything to drink, and is still in a form of shock from the plane crash. Still, Jack drops everything back at camp all because of his father, just like he had left his previous life and hopped a flight to Sydney to find dear old dad. Jack’s mom also has problems with him, blaming him for what he did to his father (yet another little flashback mystery to justify a follow-up episode), and Jack can’t get past that. He’s been living under his dad’s shadow, for his whole life and, to his horror, it has followed him to the island. However, when he finds an empty coffin in the caves and smashes it to bits (I thought coffins were made of sturdier stuff than that?) he gains some peace. Even though his father wasn’t in it, he’s finally destroyed the memory, and is able to continue on with his life-in this case, embracing the leadership position that has been foisted upon him by the other survivors. Matthew Fox does a terrific job in this episode, really making Jack someone the audience can empathize with. The writing for Jack is excellent here at the beginning of the series, no matter how sour it may turn in the future.

Other characters get a bit of a moment in the sun, most notably Claire. Emilie de Ravin is so delightfully bubbly as Claire it’s always refreshing to see her, however trivial her role may be. She propels the search for water when she collapses, as the last remaining supply has been stolen-by Boone. It’s interesting to think about how, in the previous episode, Boone had been beating Shannon into the ground about her lack of capabilities, yet he proves just as useless in this episode. He inadvertently foils Jack’s attempt to save Joanna-Jack pulls him out from under the water, thinking he’s saved the person, only to have Boone tell him someone else is out there. Boone then swipes the water to try and keep it safe, only to have the camp nearly fall apart without it, out of fear. As much as he likes to think he’s better than his sister, the similarities are all too clear.

The key moment of the episode, though, is Jack and Locke’s discussion. It’s the first time these two characters have had a scene to themselves, and what a scene it is. Locke starts out talking about Jack’s White Rabbit, but soon progresses into the first instance of his absolute faith in the island. He says that he’s looked into the island’s eye and saw something beautiful, which will spark the events that happen between Locke and Jack for the rest of the show. Locke is also the first to admit that the island is no ordinary place, although the viewer has been aware of that since the pilot got ripped out of the cockpit, and even more so by the jaw-dropping ending to the previous episode. What Locke says, and more importantly, Jack’s reaction, will escalate into increasing tension throughout this season and the next.

White Rabbit is a fine episode, and it presents a fascinating look into Jack’s character. It also serves as a very important episode considering the future of the show. The discovery of water and the caves will become very important for the rest of the season, and Jack’s problems will become increasingly evident and troublesome. While this episode lacks the intensity of some of its predecessors, it is still a very good episode.
  • An excellent self-contained story highlighted by crucial character development.

After saving Boone but being unable to save the life of another, Jack is reluctant to be the leader of the group again. Since the day before (Walkabout), he also believes he's been seeing his dead father's corpse wandering the island. An even closer encounter with this re-animated body sends Jack into a tailspin and he displays erratic behavior as he leaves the beach to chase down this white rabbit. After narrowly escaping a painful death due to help from an pretty omniscient John Locke, Jack and him, soon to become rival decision-makers, share an important conversation about the island and their personal perceptions. Back at the beach, Claire and Charlie start to develop their friendship, and the search for the culprit that took the water supply continues. As Jack continues on his trek through the jungle, he stumbles upon large caverns with a freshwater source, as well as some wreckage from the plane - luggage, eerie-looking dolls, and his father's coffin - now empty. This discovery drives Jack to lose his cool and he lets out his built-up anger and frustration. As the day comes to a close, Boone is caught with the water stash and is confronted by a large group looking for a place to assign blame. At the end of the episode Jack shows up and gives his "live together, die alone" speech urging everyone to keep a level head because they have no idea how long it'll be until they're rescued, and until then they need to band together in order to survive.
  • ...

A great episode, really interessting and intense with a great and entertaining cast with an amazing amount of suspense and energy put into the show!A great episode, really interessting and intense with a great and entertaining cast with an amazing amount of suspense and energy put into the show!A great episode, really interessting and intense with a great and entertaining cast with an amazing amount of suspense and energy put into the show!A great episode, really interessting and intense with a great and entertaining cast with an amazing amount of suspense and energy put into the show! A Must See Show!
  • I don't like Jack's flashbacks, other then that it was a good episode.........

7.7
    You know this wasn't anything special. It was a let down compared to the episodes before.
    We get to see Jack's flashbacks which I find to be the most boring out of all the characters.
    The episode started pretty well though with Jack daydreaming but awoken by Charlie.
    There is a women out at sea drowning.Jack swims out to bring Boone to shore. Boone tells him there's someone
    else out there at sea. Jack brings Boone to the beach and dives back in to find the woman.Unfortunately, he doesn't make it to her in time. Later, upset at himself for taking Boone back to shore before going after her, Jack looks at the ocean and sees a man in a suit standing in the shallow water. When Jack moves for a closer look, the man vanishes into thin air.Meanwhile on the island, Sun tells Jin that they should try harder to communicate with the other survivors.
    Jin doesn't like the idea.Hurley informs Jack that they're running out of food and water. When Hurley and Charlie ask Jack to decide what they should do, he has another flashback.
    A very young, beaten up Jack enters his father's room and they talk about the fight. His father tells him not to try and save everyone, because when he fails, he doesn't have what it takes.
    Jack keeps seing the mysterious man on the island who is his Father.But when he follows him he seems to dissapear.
    In a flashback, Jacks Mother tells Jack to go find his Father in Australia so he does.
    Meanwhile, Walt runs to Kate and tells her that Claire fell down.
    They take her into the tent to cool her down, and she wakes up. Charlie runs to get the water, but he discovers that it has been stolen! Locke volenteers to go into the jungle and get some more water. Meanwhile Jack once again sees his Father and follows him towards a cliff.
    He falls off the cliff but manages to hang on.Locke finds him and pulls him up.
    Back on the beach, the survivors suspect Jin and Sun of stealing the water, but they point to sawyer.
    Kate and Sayid follow Sawyer into the jungle and he pulls out a buried bag of stuff. After a brief struggle with Kate, Sawyer tells them that he traded his last water to Jin for a fish.
    As they depart, Sawyer tosses Kate the marshal's badge since she's the "new sheriff in town".
    Back in the jungle, Locke asks Jack why he was in the jungle, and they talk.
    Locke tells him that the island's magic may be making whatever he's chasing real. Locke leaves as Jack stays.
    Jack has another flashback about himself indentifying his Fathers body at a morgue.
    On the island,Jack hears his father and chases after him. He finds a tiny waterfall and a doll in the water. He looks around and sees pieces of the plane and packs of suitcases. He then finds the coffin in which his father's body was in.
    After a brief flashback of Jack convincing the airport to allow his father's coffin to go on the plane, he opens the coffin, revealing it to be empty.
    On the beach, Boone sneaks into the tent and gives Claire water. Charlie catches him and the camp turns on Boone, but Jack arrives and tells them to leave Boone alone. Jack tells them that he has found water and that they need to start working together, and that night, they all have plenty to drink.
  • Review

What I still really like about this show is that there are a lot of different storylines to follow and I think that the writers are doing a good job as to not confuse the readers about what is going on. Jack is clearly the leader of the group and I thought the writers made the correct decision in making him have an off episode since he had been one of the ones suffering from lack of sleep on the island. I thought that Jacks flashback scenes were good - showing us a little deeper into what Jacks purpose was in Austrailia. I thought the Claire-Boone scenes in this episode were okay, nothing amazing I dont think. Someone has stolen all of the water, whcih many assume to be Sawyer but it turns out to be someone else entirly. I thought the episode was well written, another good installment from this new series.
  • The Doc a little crazy!

White rabbit is a Jack flashback centric episode. it starts out with charlie waking the doc up and alerting the doc that someone was drowning. Jack immediatly dived into the water in attept to save the person. He found boone drowning and as he was bringing boone back he reliased that there was another person in the water, But it was too late.
    The tired doc had obviously gotten no sleep over the 5 days which was causing him to see things that he knew were not there (his dad). But as he chased these halucinations (his dad) through the jungle he took a stumble over a cliff and hanged on for his life, when locke came along and saved the doc's life.
    ( Jack's flashbacks show that jack was in sydney looking for his dad, who turns out to be dead!) meanwhile back on the beach the little remaining water had been stolen, and although Sawyer was the main suspect it was later revealed to be boone. After Jack was saved by locke, locke told him to find the so called "white rabbit" so he could once again be in the right frame of mind. As jack continued his search in the jungle he found a waterfall with an abundence of fresh water, Jack also found a coffin with which he hoped contained his father, (a flashback showed jack yelling at a lady at the airport and pleading with her to allow his father to be transported back to LA) but it did not. Meanwhile back on the beach the other survivors where ganging up on boone when all of a sudden Jack had returned and defended boone, he also did a great speach that seem to give hope to all the survivors "live together die alone".
  • Jack's past (partly) explains his present.

It starts with a flasback of Jack getting beat up on the playground.

Then Jack is awoken by Charlie screaming about someone in the water. Jack swims out and gets Boone who asks if he got her. Jack then realized Boone was going after her also, but he doesn't make it in time.
    Jack later looks out to the ocean wishing he'd saved the girl and sees a man in a suit standing in the water who soon disappears.

Sun urges Jin to try harder to communicate with the others, but he wants to make his own way. The rest of the islanders are trying to get Jack to take charge and tell them what to do when supplies run low. Meanwhile he has another flashback. After beaing beaten up on the playground Jack talks to his father about it. His father tells him not to try and save everyone, because when he fails, he doesn't have what it takes.

Boone is angry with Jack for saving him and not the woman and while they argue Jack once again sees the man in the suit. Jack follows him into the jungle and discovers that it's his father!

In another flashback, a now older Jack is being told by his mother that his father is gone. She then asks that Jack bring him back, but he says that his father hasn't talked to him in two months and doesn't want to. She begs him to bring him back and then mentions that Jack did something. Jack agrees to find him, and his mother says that his father is in Australia.

Claire falls and Locke goes to get water for her, then...
    another flashback! Jack is in Australia and in his father's hotel room, which hasn't been used for three days. Jack snaps out of it as he sees his father again in the jungle. He runs towards his father and falls off a cliff. He manages to grab onto a plant and hangs. Locke finds him and pulls him up.

There is some arguing over the water and we finally see what happens when people stop being nice and starting getting real. Kate takes charge and Sawyer calls her the new sherrif in town.

Jack and Locke talk and later Jack has a flashback about being in a morgue. He identifies his father, who died from consuming too much alcohol. When the flashback ends, Jack hears his father and chases after him. He finds a tiny waterfall and a doll in the water. He looks around and sees pieces of the plane and packs of suitcases. He then finds the coffin in which his father's body was in. After a brief flashback of Jack convincing the airport to allow his father's coffin to go on the plane, he opens the coffin, revealing it to be empty!
< 1 2