Lou Grant

Obituary

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Mar 22, 1982 on CBS

• Could've been better

I think the concept is great for this episode and it has some very stellar moments (like when Billie calls her husband to say she wasn't on the plane that crashed). But I think it has room for improvement. It would've been better if the reporters that perished had been recurring characters or a big name guest star from a previous episode that we knew more intimately and had previously identified with...because we really don't know these three doomed reporters and when they die ten minutes into the episode, we don't really have much empathy or feeling for them and their situation. I know that Billie and Lou spend the rest of the episode learning about each person's background as they struggle to write the obituaries, but it just seems like they're going through the motions. How can we care about a character that was killed minutes after we first met them? I think the story could've been made stronger if it was about airline safety or if it focused more on Billie's being haunted by her close brush with death.
  • A look at the reporter's lot.

April Smith was the story editor for Lou Grant and wrote some of the best episodes. This is again one that dares to be a bit different. Billie's near-death experience gives the viewer a shock and leads to rather emotional scenes. What makes the episode interesting, though, is the study of the lives of three different reporters. They all seem to suffer from some kind of insecurity, contradicting the self-assured detective image journalists often have in television dramas. As usual, a lighter story line has to put everything in balance, but even the moth story contains a serious environmental message. What confused me were the completely unnecessary scenes about Rossi's allergies. I presume they were included to explain why he doesn't appear in the location scenes, possibly shot while a more Rossi-centered episode was being filmed in the studio.