Lou Grant

Obituary

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Mar 22, 1982 on CBS

• Could've been better

I think the concept is great for this episode and it has some very stellar moments (like when Billie calls her husband to say she wasn't on the plane that crashed). But I think it has room for improvement. It would've been better if the reporters that perished had been recurring characters or a big name guest star from a previous episode that we knew more intimately and had previously identified with...because we really don't know these three doomed reporters and when they die ten minutes into the episode, we don't really have much empathy or feeling for them and their situation. I know that Billie and Lou spend the rest of the episode learning about each person's background as they struggle to write the obituaries, but it just seems like they're going through the motions. How can we care about a character that was killed minutes after we first met them? I think the story could've been made stronger if it was about airline safety or if it focused more on Billie's being haunted by her close brush with death.