Lou Grant

Search

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Feb 09, 1981 on CBS

• A weak offering

There are a few implausibilities in this episode, which makes it rate lower than many other Lou Grant offerings. First, I'll start with the subplot. While the story of Lou finding an out of the way eatery has a great deal of charm, it seems odd that the owner of the restaurant would be happy that his unexpected boom in business has dramatically tapered off at the end. I don't know any restauranteurs that would be happy with going back to just one or two customers, instead of having a whole room full of hungry people with money to spend. I also thought that the woman who wrote about the food in the Trib was a bit overdone in terms of the dialogue, and she seems to get equal prominence with the other characters, as if the writers are trying to turn a guest star into a regular cast member. Now, as for the main plot, about the adoption search...again, the writers have put a guest character front and center and with the exception of Rossi, she pretty much upstages everyone else. I think this story would've worked better if one of the characters we follow in each episode was the one that had been adopted. It could've been Billie or one of the guys. Then, we could've had more empathy.