Louie

Barney/Never

Aired Monday 10:30 PM Aug 02, 2012 on FX

• A very good bottle episode for season 3, made of 2 smaller mini-episodes, very entertaining.

The first part, "Barney", was a really good segment, a total return. It didn't make a big deal out of anything except the music and black & white work, yet it had a lot of funny and human moments out of an odd thing.

The second part, "Never", was a bit of a stretch from a plot perspective, it felt like an expansion of things that could have really happened but taken too far into the realm of absurdity, and it was only a heavy focus on humor which kept it alive. That said, the humor was really strong here so it definitely didn't lag for it, and watching Louie think he's being funny and clever bashing on Kansas City over the radio only to watch him take it too far was fantastic.

All in all, this was the best of the season so far, for me, and that's an odd thing because it really worked well within a contained bottle - I laughed, I thought, I felt, and I didn't feel like I was being jerked around, that's all great, and a good turn from the previous episodes so far - but you can't just have weird crazy bottle episodes every time either.