Louie

Dentist/Tarese

Aired Monday 10:30 PM Aug 23, 2010 on FX

• The Reason I Like Louie: A Defense

The thing about Louie is that he always talks about the taboo stuff you aren't supposed to talk about. But unlike many lesser comedians, who appear to confuse humor with brainless offensive remarks, Louie doesn't just provoke offence and disgust; he does so in order to provoke thought and laughter. Of course he is not defending child molesters! He is pointing out that the reason they murder children is in order to get away with their primary crime. His absurdly logical argument that 'if child molestation was legal, the victims wouldn't get murdered' implies that in order to prevent murder, abuse should be legalized - which of course is a completely unacceptable conclusion: like he says, "I don't know what to do with that information". What seems offensive and disgusting is that he talks about this subject matter at all, not the substance of what he is saying. I think hating on Louie is based on people being too literal minded and not getting the irony. As I see it, the show uses a confessional kind of humor. In each episode we are sort of shown Louie's uncensored stream of consciousness; this means that he exposes himself in a way that the audience can see is ironic - like when Louie is hitting on the pretty black girl, his liberal love-and-tolerance attitude is exposed as really just the pathetic sexual fantasy of a middle-aged white guy. This can be uncomfortable because he is the main character and we tend to identify with him, so by implication he is exposing us too. But that is actually the reason I like Louie. In medieval times the king's fool had a certain license to say things others could not say without getting their heads chopped off. Nowadays, the audience is king, and sometimes we need licensed fools like Louie to provoke us into laughing at ourselves.