Louie

Dr. Ben/Nick

Aired Monday 10:30 PM Jul 06, 2010 on FX

• Dr. Ben/Nick

The Good:

-"Why don't you just go eat out Obama's asshole?" "I would! I mean, I'm not gay, but just to be part of history."

-"...And we pass this homeless guy and she sees him. I mean, we all pass him, but she SEES him."

The Bad:

-The joke about the best years was used in "Poker/Divorce."

The third episode, and thankfully this show is showing signs of improvement, but it still has a ways to go. There is just too much stand-up and I understand that that is what Louis CK is all about and that will be a heavy part of the show, but do we need to see 12 minutes of material every show?

But you can't go wrong with a Ricky Gervais appearance. He was acting very British here, but that meant he was at his David Brent best, so you can't go wrong there.

This show needs some supporting characters. Not just one off appearances.
  • Ricky Gervais guest stars as an awful doctor

Ricky Gervais, in my opinion, is the ultimate master of awkward comedy along with Larry David. He has been irritating people and getting himself into awkward situations for years now, and he's so charismatic that it's tough to see him as a jerk when he's so likable and hilarious. In this episode, Louis C.K visits his doctor, Dr. Ben (played by Gervais) to see how his health is doing. If you thought Larry David, Michael Scott or Louis C.K were good at making you feel awkward and strange, just check out this character. Dr. Ben jokes about cancer, AIDS and rape in his short screen time and you still find yourself laughing at him. I didn't think the plot of the show meshed well with the stand-up at all this time around, but the comedy more than made up for it.

The second part of the episode focused a lot on the relationship between Louis and his friend, Nick DiPaolo. Nick is another comedian who is right-wing and has a very harsh personality. Him and Louis even get into a fight that results in Nick getting cut, but somehow, the two remain close friends through it all. I'm really glad that the show introduced Nick. Nick could be a good friend for Louis to turn to throughout the show.

My one problem as of right now with the show is the fact that there's no story or anything. We know of the character very vaguely (he's divorced, negative and has two daughters) but very little about his life. We can assume the character in this show is similar to the actor, but for people who don't know, it could be confusing.

But no one can deny that the show doesn't have its moments. It's a smart show with good writing that needs to work on a few things before it can be considered one of the best comedies on TV.