Louie

Poker/Divorce

Aired Monday 10:30 PM Jun 29, 2010 on FX

• Poker/Divorce

The Good:

-"What do you do if you're there and somebody recognizes you?" "Say hi."

-Louie's friend explains where the term "***got" comes from.

-"So what you're saying is that gay people are a good alternative fuel source."

The Bad:

-It would have been nice to see more of Tammy and Louie. There wasn't really a resolution.
  • superb

what i liked- the entire poker segment, the scene over the end credits, louie's flashbacks about the girl, after louie says "no" in response to her question about if he "whipped it out", them having sex, louie's brother trying to talk him out of suicide (when he wasn't even going to attempt suicide), amongst other things.

great episode. i liked it better than the pilot. the second part to the episode was a little boring in parts, but as a whole, it was a lot funnier than the pilot, i think. B+/A- or so as my final grade.

• Poker Divorce

3.5
    A little bit better than the pilot, but this is not exactly a good show yet. The opening scene was mildly amusing with Louis CK and other comics jawing about what it is like to be gay but after that things took an unpleasant turn. Louis CK jumping an obese woman is not the kind of thing that is going to retain viewers and if you saw Rescue Me's disappointing season premiere than a lot of people probably missed this show as well.

Louis CK is a decent stand-up comedian, but his second sitcom, much like his first, just really fails to show any semblance of being good.
  • Better than the pilot

Louis C.K is hilarious, and his writing and stand-up certainly shows this. The way he acts with his friends and his audience shows him as a sarcastic and personable guy who has a quick wit and a joke at hand at all times. However, some of the scenes outside of his friends and audience show him as an awkward, middle-aged father who gets himself into Larry David-esque situations without Larry David's tendency to get irritated. You take these elements, throw them into a television show and you get what "Louie" has been providing us. We get a bipolar show that shows Louis C.K writing some superb scripts and acting like two different people in the same episode, which creates some awkwardness.

For instance, tonight, the first seven minutes or so were dedicated to Louis C.K and his friends sitting at a poker table and discussing what it means to be a gay man. We get some pretty great dialogue, some serious moments interrupted by great jokes and a fast and loose set of lines that reminds me of some of the better moments in It's Always Sunny, Seinfeld and Curb. Meanwhile, the episode goes on and we're introduced to a weird, quiet and strange look into Louis' past and a look at his attempts to start dating after getting his divorce. Gone are the fast-paced jokes, the foul language and the sarcasm. Instead, we get the awkward, quiet and somewhat introverted Louis C.K. It's interesting to see how Louis is off-stage as a family man. Much different than his public persona.

I really like the show, but it still feels like it's trying to do two different things at once.