Louie

Monday 10:30 PM on FX Premiered Jun 29, 2010 In Season

thefanof

Louie Fan Reviews (19)

• LOUIE LOUIE LOUIE LOUIEEEEEEE

This show kicks so much ass. Good writing, solid acting, and hilarious situations that anyone can relate to. This show is a must see for anyone who is a fan of Louis
  • thank god louie is back!

its been way toooooooooooooooooooooooooo long between season 4 and 5 where i've had to fill in the time with lesser comedies. 2 episodes in and season 5 is hilarious. this show is too damn good and cleverer than most. Louis CK writes, directs and stars is amazing
  • Hmmmm

2 ep (14) FX
  • louie fooey

For those who have sticked with the show since season 1 , it gets very dark and you really feel for the characters. Is the show getting Too autobiographical? The humor and jokes are sparse, middle age crisis, social critique and parenting angst dominate.

This last season was very dramatic, the humor just a side dish.

Even so, one of the best tv shows out there.
  • Just Keeps Getting Better and Better

Frequently funny, sometimes deep, always depressing, and yet intensely uplifting. It's impossible to do the show justice with words. Watch a full season and you'll understand. Come for the masturbation jokes, but stay for the poignant, powerful imagery and crisp, realistic dialog.
  • Clever, witty and overall a genuinely a fantastic show

Awkward comes to mind when talking about Louie, Louis . loosely basis this show around events in his life. A modern classic, definitely the best comedy on TV right now.
  • The funniest show in Television!!!

Louis . may be the funniest man alive right now!!! I have honestly never laughed so hard in my life watching this show!!! The guy is a genius!!
  • thumb up s1-2 ... thumb down s3 !

I loved the first two seasons they were awesome and full of laughter :) Season 3 is a total disappointment :( I think this is why the show will not break until 2014.
  • Another stunning show that relies in the "awkward comedy" genre.

Following the trend of modern classics such as Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Office, Its Always Sunny, Trailer Park Boys, Extras, etc. etc., comes Louie, the next in line to take a shot in whats the most consistent new wave in comedy. What I like to call "Awkward comedy". Louie mixes elements of Curb (the cringe inducing situations), Seinfeld (moments of stand up throughout the episodes) and The Office (despite all its humour, theres a heavy dose of emotion and sympathy for our protagonist), and while it clearly wears its influences, theres something about it that gives off a unique style. I think this is down to the fact that maybe its the first comedy (apart from The Office UK) where the heartfelt moments don't feel forced. Louie is generally a guy you end up caring for, because unlike Curb where Larry more often than not comes out the bad guy, Louie always does whats best for his daughters, and is such a down to earth and likeable person. This isn't clear until later on in season one, possibly starting with the episode "Bully", where we really grasp the show's formula and turns out we're not missing out on jokes afterall. Basically, don't go in expecting a laugh-per-minute absurdist comedy, because you will be disappointed. Expect a dramedy. Primarly a comedy, but with strong dramatic elements and if this sounds like your cup of tea, I can't think of a better show to recommend.

I've always been aware of Louis CK and his reputation as one of the modern great comedians, but never got round to checking out his material. I can safely say this has bought me, although I can see why his fans might be a little put off him now as it may humanise his outrageous stand ups and raw delivery. If you're a fan of any of the aforementioned TV shows and cringe inducing, awkward humour, Louie is the next step to go.
  • The Best show on TV?

He's offensive, he's rude, he's honest, he's funny, he's REAL. This could very well be the best television show in the history of television as far as comedy goes. Too bad shows like this can't pump out the 24 episodes a season that the action/dramas can; although there are more explosions coming out of Louie's mouth at times, I find myself watching philosophy in motion at times while Louie blindsides me with something so true, funny that i can't contain myself.
  • Brilliant. Not a gagfest. Maybe not even a comedy. More like an Alexander Payne movie than "Seinfeld." Not knee-slapping funny; it's funny in the way that life is funny.

"Louie" is about NYC-based standup comedian Louis C.K as he muddles his way through a dark, troubled, lonely, depressed existence. Specifically, it is about how Louis C.K sees that existence for what it is and still tries to find humor and meaning in it.

"Louie" is my favorite show on television right now, maybe my favorite TV show ever. At the same time, it is terribly misunderstood, judging by most of the reviews I've read (most of them very positive, most of them by paid critics) and the promos I've seen.

People judge the show's merit based on how funny it is. Many rave that the show is "hilarious." They compare it to shows like "Seinfeld" and "Curb Your Enthusiasm." I disagree with all these sentiments and think the criteria that reviewers use to judge "Louie" misses the mark. "Louie" isn't a knee-slapping comedy in the vain of "Seinfeld" and to a large extent "Curb…" In fact, it's really nothing like "Seinfeld" or "Curb" beyond the fact that all three shows are about occasionally misanthropic comedians. "Seinfeld" and "Curb…" are comedies that present absurdist realities deliberately skewed for laughs. I'd hesitate even to call "Louie" a comedy. Really, it's more like a drama about comedy and the people who produce it. "Louie" is an unflinching glimpse into the comic's mind, which is sometimes but not always a funny place. Even when the show ventures into absurdity (e.g. Louie waltzing with a realtor who explains how a $17 million house will make all of Louie's very specific problems go away), the point of this absurdity is to provide insight into Louis C.K's imagination and fantasy life as defenses against life's injustices, not as an artificial mechanism to get laughs (think Kramer erecting "The Merv Griffin Show's" set in his apartment for an effective example of absurdity just for the sake of humor). You have to bring an unorthodox perspective to "Louie." You can't just passively sit on the couch and wait for the fat man to make you laugh. You have to attempt empathizing with Louis C.K's struggle to find humor and meaning in the darkest aspects of existence. Hopefully, the net effect will be cathartic and enlightening. Hopefully, it will give you some fodder for your own existential journeys. At the very least, hopefully you'll feel like you have an ally in the "good fight" against the world's demons and your own. You'll laugh along the way, but that really isn't the point.

There are broad stretches in "Louie" where the material is very depressing and there are, intentionally, no laughs to be had. The episode "Eddie," for example, is about an estranged friend of Louis C.K's. A struggling comedian living out of his car, Eddie is embittered, erratic, delusional, and beyond the point of social maladjustment; he's lost the will to live and has only reconnected with C.K to announce his plans to commit suicide. It's intentionally unpleasant to watch Eddie as he makes a scene in a liquor store, drunkenly stumbles onstage and delivers an depressingly unfunny summary of his self-loathing at an open mic night, and quasi-coherently berates Louis C.K for "selling out" (Louis C.K basically just stands there and takes it). Eddie behaves like your stereotypical homeless crazy person, someone most of us would typically write off as one of society's castaways, but at the same time it's impossible not to identify with him. From our/Louis C.K's perspective, Eddie easily could be Louis C.K if Louis C.K never got his lucky break (which the episode explains was a spot on "Letterman"). He could be any one of us after twenty-something years of never getting any breaks and gradual estrangement and neglect from the rest of the world. He might be a stand-in for one of the many, many comedians befriended by Louis C.K along the way who lost the "good fight" (Greg Giraldo springs to mind, especially during the open mic scene which vaguely resembled some of Giraldo's uncharacteristically awkward final performances). Given the show's first-person narrative and occasional surreal motifs, Eddie could be Louis C.K's imagination of what he or anyone like him could (have?) become without the benefit of a few strokes of pure luck. It's dark stuff, but life is full of dark stuff. And it's up to Louis C.K. to (a) talk Eddie down from that ledge and (b) find the will to be funny. Because he's a comedian who deals with other comedians, Louis C.K. says some funny things during the episode. He says funny things during all the episodes; it's his job, after all. But the overall tenor is intentionally depressing and disturbing and we never find out what happens to Eddie. The funny moments in "Louie" are like the funny moments in real life: they puncture more serious stuff but they're not oblivious to that stuff either.

Some people complain that the show is too dark, but it's important to note that most episodes end on a life-affirming note. "Duckling," for example, sees Louis C.K befriending and sharing a terrifying experience (that ends well) with people very different than him (country singers, fundamentalist Christian cheerleaders; for the uninitiated, C.K is a liberal comedian from NYC) while performing for troops in Afghanistan. The episode is about how basic human decency and those "little moments" in life can bring joy out of something as awful as war. In "Joan," a professionally frustrated Louis C.K becomes thankful for the opportunities he has, despite the understandably frustrating entertainment industry bullshit he has to endure, after getting a frank lecture from Joan Rivers. "Bully" ends with C.K bonding with a teenage bully's parent, who is a child-abusing bully himself. Both C.K and the abusive father decide that they're screwups who are trying their best. What I took away from this episode is that people are basically good and try their hardest, even if they seem (and in some cases objectively can be) awful. "Louie" doesn't create an artificially schmaltzy world where everyone is happy and beautiful all the time. It doesn't waste time boldfacing and underlining any episode's "uplifting takeaway." Louis C.K respects his viewers too much to cram happy sunshine-y goodness down their throats; he treats them like the mature adults they are. If canned schlock is what you crave, well, another season of "How I Met Your Mother" is on its way.

Some episodes can be more lighthearted. "Come On, God," for example, is about Louis C.K re-examining his addiction to self-pleasure after befriending an attractive and idealistic Christian woman; it plays out with the same awkward humor typical to Louis C.K's standup. "Subway/Pamela" is a hysterically funny episode about the differences between men and women: basically, women only communicate romantically by sending subtle signals and will only respond to subtle signals from others; men will directly tell women how they feel and will be oblivious to anything other than direct, unambiguous verbal responses. Again, it's hysterically funny, but it's hysterically funny only because it's unflinchingly realistic: just about every heterosexual person has experienced this communication breakdown between the sexes (He directly asks out the woman He loves with a clear statement of his very profound feelings, She rejects Him verbally but subsequently starts sending "signals;" He is oblivious to these signals because She's already rejected Him and He's taken Her word; He directly asks whether She's been sending him signals and She is so annoyed by this directness that She never wants to talk to Him again). It's hysterical because it happens all the time, not because say, a wacky character has erected "The Merv Griffin Show" set in his apartment or because, say, someone on "Two and a Half Men" made a clever double entendre using the word "come." Hardly anything is artificially injected into "Louie" for the sake of laughs. Again, to whatever extent it's funny, it's funny because life is funny.

As you can see, "Louie" isn't an easy show to describe. If you want a standard for comparison, Alexander Payne's movies ("Sideways," "About Schmdt," "Citizen Ruth" and - to a lesser extent - "Election") are probably the closest to "Louie" in terms of humor and overall style. The tone is somber and realistic, most of it is filmed onsite and not in a studio, and the humor in the show comes at you like the humor in real life. The Coen Brothers' pitch-black comedies (e.g. "Fargo," "Barton Fink") are comparable to some "Louie" episodes (some are more stark like "Fargo;" others are more surreal like "Barton Fink"). If you're expecting another "Seinfeld" or "Curb," you'll probably be disappointed. If you're expecting another "Two and a Half Men" or "How I Met Your Mother," you'll definitely be disappointed.

Some people complain that the episodes contain many unrelated vignettes instead of following a single, easy-to-follow single-story format. These people, in my opinion, miss the show's entire point. Again, the show is supposed to depict real life through the perspective of someone trying to find the humor in it. And real life is frequently a series of unrelated vignettes. We see some things clearly. Other things are filtered through dreams, fantasies and fits of strange passion. From them all, we take away a singular perspective. "Louie" isn't going to cram a perspective down your throat, but it gives you enough to piece together a good one if you're willing to put in a little effort. If you like to engage a little with your entertainment, this is the perfect show for you. If your approach to TV is more passive, well, a new season of "Two and a Half Men" is on its way.

So, to summarize, this is an outstanding show and you definitely need to check it out. But don't bring to it the same set of expectations that you would bring to a sitcom. Be prepared to empathize with Louis C.K (it's not hard; he's probably the most likeable and "human" person on TV) and his existential plight. Try to engage with the show. Think a little about the way you make sense of your life and the world around you, especially during the most challenging times. You'll get back everything you put in tenfold. "Louie" is the rare show that respects and rewards thoughtful and introspective viewers.

• fantastic

Lovely and dark, right to the heart of the beast. Louie is refreshing and hilarious, what a comic genius. He is seriously in danger of making other shows look too scripted. Reminds me a little of the rambling along of the first Curb Your Enthusiasm, which I loved, meanders, roams and falls. Fantastic stuff. I hope this extends to a second and third season, I think this sort of approach needs time to grow and move under its own momentum, the danger is, of course, becoming a copy of yourself, which happen too frequently. Nice to have something so fresh to watch, will probably never make him a wealthy man, but I imagine that is also the point. I have a feeling that Louie will confuse the general viewer for years to come, it will be too easy for them to dismiss it as a pale comparison to his standup routine, like that time that idiot on crossfire told John Stewart '...come on man be funny....' to which Stewart answered ... Im not your monkey.....
  • Not Funny. I can't take any more. Louie, pull the trigger and get it over with, and stop torturing the rest of us. How many have you killed with this show already?

It's supposed to be a funny show, but it is really a huge cry for help. Louie is a suicide trying to take others with him. Stop spreading the disease!!! I recognize the humor in his act, I might laugh if I saw him in a club or on a comedy special. But this show is just SICK. He could not be more clear about his feelings if he spent the whole show with a gun in his mouth. Louie! Pull the trigger and stop torturing the rest of us! How many people has this show killed already?! I feel like jumping off a bridge after watching this garbage! And it's supposed to be a COMEDY!!! Do you remember Roseanne breaking down ad sobbing in the middle of her stage act? Is she still alive today? Oh, she is? TOO BAD!!!
  • Another one of those comedy shows that forgot to have funny things in it.

1.5
    I remember when comedy used to take your mind off your problems. Not these days, for some reason. It's as if nothing is allowed to be on the air unless it's "real," which apparently means it's filled with people talking about how bad everything is. "Real" couldn't possibly mean anything else, could it...? Trees are real. Hats are real. Flying cars are not real yet, but maybe one day, they will be. I don't know, it seems that this show is draining to watch, because it's about various things spliced in with Louis C.K. talking about his life, and neither the stand-up material nor the fictional vignettes seem to have a point. The more specific and narrow your aim with the audience, the more people you will also lock out of it at the same time-- so that now, instead of shows that spoke to a wide group of people, we have little encampments of shows with a narrow but very devoted fan following, surrounded by people who couldn't care less. Maybe you have to be the same 'type' as Louis in order to be interested. Maybe comedy is more difficult because life is difficult. Yes, I have sympathy for that, but when a person runs out of energy, so will the things they're trying to do. I awarded this show a 1.5 instead of just 1 because I saw an episode that has a cat. I like cats. Good luck to Louis, whatever he does, but I just didn't enjoy this show very much.
  • superb

I've only seen some parts of this show, but when it is funny, it is really funny. It's a different kind of show from your regular comedy (you'd have to see it to understand exactly what I mean), but it works in a good way and is pretty funny at times. Definitely recommend it to anybody who wants to watch a comedy. It's only in its second season and I think it's popular enough to have more. B+ or so as my final grade
  • It's actually funny

I thought this show was gonna be retarded after i saw the commercials but its so weird and random that its hilarious I dunno random weird things tend to make me laugh. People were telling me that the show is weird and not really funny, which it is funny but I laughed alot when watching this, its just funny, i think its a pretty awesome show
  • A semi0real perspective on a comedian slash stay at home dad with 2 little girls. Chronicles his slightly austere and maybe a little meager existence.

I find his stand-up pretty good. Top 10 for me anyways. Is life can seem a bit depressing at times though. One of the drier comedy shows I've seen in a LONG time. When I saw his first season posted up on netflix, I decided I'd just give it a try. I'm glad I did because it has me waiting for the second season. A decent watch for anyone that's into dry underground Manhattan humor of semi-real life situations. A definite recommendation for all those single fathers out there who just need a satirical glance at perhaps some of their own issues that they face in the parental aspect of their own lives.
  • Forget what some of these idiots said, this is an amazing show

Forget what some of these idiots said, this is an amazing show. Louis C.K. has developed interesting plotlines that work perfectly with his sense of humor. Anyone who does not like this show clearly has a poor taste in comedy writing and performance. For people who actually appreciate stand-up and understand good sitcoms, this is one of the funniest shows you will ever see. Keep watching and you'll see louis' amazing sequences of comedy which range from smart situational everyday problems to hilarious references that are easy to appreciate for everyone who knows what life is really like. Perfect timing, great jokes, millions of laughs, and even a great theme song, watch this show now ... if you don't you'll probably figure out how funny it is soon and watch it anyway.
  • Louie CK is rad.

I stumbled across Louie CK while watching Invention of Lying and hearing that Ricky Gervais thought he was the best standup working at the moment. He wasn't stunning in that so I kept searching. I found his standup and had to agree. This show perfectly captures his stage persona. It's cool to see a show that isn't strictly narrative so much as experience based. While not a perfect show it's a hell of a lot better than 90% of the nonsense on TV and it's cool to see him really going for it. Hopefully FX will keep supporting him for future seasons.
Untitled