Louie

Monday 10:30 PM on FX Premiered Jun 29, 2010 In Season

thefanof

Louie Fan Reviews (17)

• Another stunning show that relies in the "awkward comedy" genre.

Following the trend of modern classics such as Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Office, Its Always Sunny, Trailer Park Boys, Extras, etc. etc., comes Louie, the next in line to take a shot in whats the most consistent new wave in comedy. What I like to call "Awkward comedy". Louie mixes elements of Curb (the cringe inducing situations), Seinfeld (moments of stand up throughout the episodes) and The Office (despite all its humour, theres a heavy dose of emotion and sympathy for our protagonist), and while it clearly wears its influences, theres something about it that gives off a unique style. I think this is down to the fact that maybe its the first comedy (apart from The Office UK) where the heartfelt moments don't feel forced. Louie is generally a guy you end up caring for, because unlike Curb where Larry more often than not comes out the bad guy, Louie always does whats best for his daughters, and is such a down to earth and likeable person. This isn't clear until later on in season one, possibly starting with the episode "Bully", where we really grasp the show's formula and turns out we're not missing out on jokes afterall. Basically, don't go in expecting a laugh-per-minute absurdist comedy, because you will be disappointed. Expect a dramedy. Primarly a comedy, but with strong dramatic elements and if this sounds like your cup of tea, I can't think of a better show to recommend.

I've always been aware of Louis CK and his reputation as one of the modern great comedians, but never got round to checking out his material. I can safely say this has bought me, although I can see why his fans might be a little put off him now as it may humanise his outrageous stand ups and raw delivery. If you're a fan of any of the aforementioned TV shows and cringe inducing, awkward humour, Louie is the next step to go.