A Low Winter Sun Community
AMC (ended 2013)

AMC has canceled its freshman drama Low Winter Sun after only one season. Based on a British miniseries about homicide detectives who kill a dirty cop, the series—which starred Mark Strong and Lennie James—never drew high ratings for the network. Although it premiered to 2.5 million viewers (a number that rose to 3.3 million with Live+7 numbers factored in), the series ended its now-single season with well under 1 million viewers tuning in for the season finale. Even though it had the highly rated final season of Breaking Bad as a lead-in, Low Winter Sun was just never able to hold on to the Breaking Bad viewership the way the network had hoped it would.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure that's because 90 percent of the time that Low Winter Sun was on, Breaking Bad fans were on their way to the hospital to have their hearts looked at and their blood pressure checked. I know I certainly couldn't concentrate after every single episode of Season 5B, so I certainly don't blame anyone else who also turned off their TVs during Low Winter Sun. But it's definitely a blow to the network, which has struggled to launch a new scripted drama in the last couple years, especially since it's about to lose signature series Mad Men as well (the final season is being split in half, just like Breaking Bad's was). 

So what's that mean for AMC? Well, they've got the Revolutionary War spy drama Turn on the horizon, as well as the Lee Pace-starring Halt & Catch Fire. Both series will debut in 2014. And the network also just announced two new pilots for its 2015 development season. The first, Knifeman, is set in 18th-century London and follows a man named John Tattersal (who's based on the real-life figure John Hunter) as he pioneers the science of surgery by robbing graves and harvesting organs. Sounds like a show the entire family can enjoy! The second pilot is the the post-apocalyptic Galyntine, which sounds pretty much like every other post-apocalyptic series out there right now. Technology is non-existent and those who lived to add "post-" to their apocalypse experience must find a new way to evolve. 

And or course, the network still has the insanely successful The Walking Dead, which was recently renewed for Season 5 and might also get a "companion" seriesHell On Wheels, which will be back for an expanded fourth season next summer; and the Breaking Bad spin-off Better Call Saul, featuring Bob Odenkirk's Saul Goodman.

Are you bummed about Low Winter Sun's cancellation? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 10/6/2013

Season 1 : Episode 10

65 Comments
Follow this Show
Members