A Low Winter Sun Community
AMC (ended 2013)

AMC has canceled its freshman drama Low Winter Sun after only one season. Based on a British miniseries about homicide detectives who kill a dirty cop, the series—which starred Mark Strong and Lennie James—never drew high ratings for the network. Although it premiered to 2.5 million viewers (a number that rose to 3.3 million with Live+7 numbers factored in), the series ended its now-single season with well under 1 million viewers tuning in for the season finale. Even though it had the highly rated final season of Breaking Bad as a lead-in, Low Winter Sun was just never able to hold on to the Breaking Bad viewership the way the network had hoped it would.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure that's because 90 percent of the time that Low Winter Sun was on, Breaking Bad fans were on their way to the hospital to have their hearts looked at and their blood pressure checked. I know I certainly couldn't concentrate after every single episode of Season 5B, so I certainly don't blame anyone else who also turned off their TVs during Low Winter Sun. But it's definitely a blow to the network, which has struggled to launch a new scripted drama in the last couple years, especially since it's about to lose signature series Mad Men as well (the final season is being split in half, just like Breaking Bad's was). 

So what's that mean for AMC? Well, they've got the Revolutionary War spy drama Turn on the horizon, as well as the Lee Pace-starring Halt & Catch Fire. Both series will debut in 2014. And the network also just announced two new pilots for its 2015 development season. The first, Knifeman, is set in 18th-century London and follows a man named John Tattersal (who's based on the real-life figure John Hunter) as he pioneers the science of surgery by robbing graves and harvesting organs. Sounds like a show the entire family can enjoy! The second pilot is the the post-apocalyptic Galyntine, which sounds pretty much like every other post-apocalyptic series out there right now. Technology is non-existent and those who lived to add "post-" to their apocalypse experience must find a new way to evolve. 

And or course, the network still has the insanely successful The Walking Dead, which was recently renewed for Season 5 and might also get a "companion" seriesHell On Wheels, which will be back for an expanded fourth season next summer; and the Breaking Bad spin-off Better Call Saul, featuring Bob Odenkirk's Saul Goodman.

Are you bummed about Low Winter Sun's cancellation? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 10/6/2013

Season 1 : Episode 10

65 Comments
Comments (65)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I am not at all upset about the cancellation of Low Winter Sun. To be honest, I stopped watching it after about the 6th episode. I couldn't get into it at all. It had a great cast (Lenny was amazing), but for whatever reason it failed to connect with me. Better luck next time, AMC! and P.S , Don't screw up 'Better Call Saul!!!! P.S.S....Send Lenny back to The Walking Dead!
Flag
not that disappointing. maybe a little. not sure where the show would go for a second season, kinda seemed left open at the end only for the reason that there might be a season 2. but season one was good and definitely entertaining. definitely didn't think it sucked like a lot of people on here are saying. I would have watched a Season 2. well, I would have DVR'd it and got to it eventually. main reason I watched it week by week last season was it was something fresh on the mind to watch after Breaking Bad, after winding down from that by watching Talking Bad. damn I miss Breaking Bad.
Flag
I'm disappointed. This was a good show. Why is it whenever a good show comes on it keeps getting canceled? Not all on this channel but there was Alcatraz, Terra Nova, V, now this, just to name a few. Sometimes I don't even want to start watching a new show because I expect it to only go one season.
Flag
All of the shows you mentioned suck.
Flag
Damn! How could I have forgotten Walking Dead...you got lucky AMC...

Flag
Wow, AMC, wow! First Rubicon, now this? And Breaking Bad is over...Go on, cancel Hell on Wheels, I dare you. Then I can be done with you for good, because these two new series, no interest...
Flag
I'm bummed. I thought it was a good show. I suppose the way they ended the season was a reasonable, if obviously hanging, conclusion but I thought the story had another season or two left in it.
People that didn't tune in missed out and it's better to have one good season than pull a Dexter and destroy a great show with crappy final seasons...
Flag
People that didn't tune in missed out on chronic depression. It was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad show.
Flag
Not a big loss, it was interesting only to an extent, but never really broke out of the okay category. And of course this article is another great love fest for breaking bad... BB was good, had some great moments, but it was not the all that people make it out to be. BB being over does not bother me, it ended well and that is that, now, i move on, i would never watch it again cause it is not a re-watchable series to me. But anyone out there who dvr'd Low Winter Sun, go ahead and delete it, it really is not worth watching.
Flag
I cannot miss something I never watched, so....no.
Flag
It was watchable, but the only enjoyable characters were the non-cops.
Flag
I liked it a Detroit story and full of anti-heroes and broken characters. Perhaps this has been done too much for people but for a Sunday show I felt it was adequte.
Flag
The problem with everyone mumbling their lines and looking miserable all the bloody time is that instead of being realistic it just comes over as actorly. LWS in the original form might have been innovative and cutting edge, but post-Wire, post-BB, just looks knackered.
Love Mark Strong and of course Lennie James- for a masterclass on how to act without looking like you're acting see Lennie's performance in the C4 drama "Run". Magic.
Flag
Too bad, I really liked this show. I thought it was neat and gritty. Also Frank was an interesting character.
Flag
I'm sorry for all the fans, who will miss the show. I watch a couple of episodes, it wasn't for me. But on the bright side, it leaves Lennie James open, to come back to The Walking Dead. Hopefully as a series regular.
Flag
Was not surprised at all ! Start off okay but got worse especially the last few episodes. It does have an ending so I am okay with that.
Flag
Can't say I am really surprise - could have been great, but it wasn't even good.
Flag
Was decent quality, well acted but could have been a bit better, shame it didn't get a chance at a second season but it did somewhat tell its story.
Flag
I'm sad they're still thinking about making a BB spin-off. From that moment on every BB discussion will include the sentence "Ya, it was a great show, but that spin-off they did, man that was bad..."
And why would they want to make a WD spin-off, especially if the WD is still on the air? Are they not telling us something, like most of the actors don't want to sign new contracts. A spin-off of WD would have a better chance of being good, but...If they're dead-bent on doing it, then they'll have to put limits on what we learn in the WD from now on and it better take place in someplace else like someplace in Cali ( get stores involving the ocean) or Chicago or Boston, ect. I'm not convienced on this idea yet but I am convienced that it would be infinatly better than a BB spin-off. Oh ya, this is suppose to be about LWS, uuhhh...
Flag
I disagree. Better call Saul, MIGHT just be very good. You don't hold Joannie Loves Chachi against Happy Days do you?
Flag
Comedies and drama's are not the same when it comes to spin-offs. It is easier for comidies to have spin-offs, and good ones even harder( Being succesful and being good are not the same thing) And yes, they did hold those shows against each other.
Flag
I just couldn't bring myself to watch a show with such a pretentious title as "Low Winter Sun." For some reason, every time I saw this show on or saw the title anywhere, I just wanted to laugh at it.
Flag
It was boring. Turned out to be a waste of great talent. The good news is Lennie James is available again for US television!
Flag
Low WInter DONE.
Flag
It wasn't a BAD hour of television: good cast, well written, and a good overall feel to it, but the problem was I really didn't feel that was any story. The show had nowhere to go, even WITHIN the first season. I feel bad for AMC that it didn't work out better, but not overly bummed the show is gone.
Flag
I really loved this show and am bummed that it was canceled. I thought the ending where Joe throws the hooker off the balcony was great, and now we will never get to see the retribution Frank will hand out to Joe for killing her. I thought the acting was very good and the story lines of the various bad guys were adequate even if not very exciting. The bad guys (besides the troubled cops) were really there as a backstory for the reason Joe & frank killed Brendan McCann in the first placeop show that has so many Wire cast members that show up regularly, like David Costabile who played a Internal affairs cop that was having a hard time proving what he knew to be true about McCann's murder. I hope it will be picked up by Netflix or some other cable channel.
Flag
Frank wasn't going to hand out any retribution. They talked it over. Frank said, very sedately, "I should kill you..." and then Joe explained that he was protecting their reputations and they both kind of forgot about it and moved on. Dumbest. Story. Ever.
Flag
Not surprised. It started out pretty good, but wasn't able to sustain interest. Dirty cops being dirty for no apparent reason gets old really fast.
I still have the finale sitting on my watch list, but I'm not sure I'll ever get around to watching it.
Flag
I finally watched the finale yesterday, after weeks postponing it and I can say for sure I wasted 10 hours of my life. It did seem interesting in the beginning: the plot had a few twists, the atmosphere was truly depressing, the production looked great, the acting was OK... but it never took off. The whole season was a variation of the first three episodes or so and it got nowhere in the end. And I had to sit through that cop's obsession with a hooker that was neither that beautiful nor interesting; those stupid rookie criminals that only screw up and Morgan from The Walking Dead getting pissed off and throwing tantrums all the time. No way this series could have a second season. The problem wasn't that Breaking Bad fans were too dizzy to watch, but the fact that it was plain boring,
Flag
I had hoped it would turn into another Shield but it never did. Mostly about some cop that had a fixation with a certain hooker that his "partner" threw off a building
Flag
I won't miss it, but maybe I would have if I had watched more of it.

I watched up until episode 3. Then I kinda stopped, but planned on catching up on it... which never happened. There was nothing about it that once I took a break from it, made me want to return to it.
Flag
I watched the Pilot episode but after that, I just couldn't stay interested. It was one of those shows that I really wanted to like based on the lead cast but a good cast does not a interesting show make.
Flag
Low Winter Snooze. I tried to watch this show, but it got more boring by the episode. Just deleted it from my schedule after episode 6 or 7. None of these people were likable OR interesting.
Flag
Haha! Low winter snooze!
Flag
Rubicon and The Killing were both better than this show.
Flag
Agreed.
Flag
Good, now Lennie James can join Walking Dead as Morgan as a regular
Flag
Have Low Winter Sun sitting on my DVR.
Is there closure in the finale? I am a big Lennie James fan but hate series that leave the viewer hanging.
Feedback appreciated.
Flag
There is closure, but it's really unsatisfactory and hard to believe. If you like Lennie James, don't watch it, because his character is not likeable.
Flag
There is closure in the Finale, Obviously it is one that COULD lead to a 2nd season, but unless Netflix unexpectedly resuscitates it it'll be the series finale.
Flag
I'm pretty sure they wrapped up the main story.
Flag
Staff
"Catch a glimpse of the next Breaking Bad ep during the first commercial break of Low Winter Sun" or something like that. Annoying AF. I decided to never tune in.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members