Lucky Louie

Discipline

Aired Sunday 10:30 PM Jul 23, 2006 on HBO

• Lucy develops a discipline problem, and Louie and Kim disagree about how to handle it.

I was pretty hard on this show after the first few episodes, but I have re-thought my position. Just as Louis C.K.'s stand-up has always been off the beaten path, so has his brainchild, "Lucky Louie." That being said, I still feel that some of the earlier episodes could have been better. This episode, however, is in my opinion the finest work of this show yet.

From the first fight with Lucy, all the way to the end of the show, the viewers quickly realize Louie is right. The kid is, indeed, a "f**ing a**hole." The thing I found curious is that Kim seems entirely resistant to discipline of any kind. Even though Louie is ineffectual, at least he tries, going as far as asking Walter and Ellen(their neighbors) for some advice. Walter suggests timeouts, but his reaction to Louie's later question, "You put your kid in a closet? I can't help you," is priceless.

One of the things that I have come to appreciate about this show is that things are usually not tied up neatly at the end of each show. This is very realistic, because most of our life problems last longer than a couple of days. All in all, a very entertaining episode.
  • Lucy is hilarious.

This episode could have been extremely annoying, but the girl who plays the daughter is so funny that this is the best episode yet. Lucy is really stupid, so when she tells Kim that her cake tastes like poop, or mouths off to Louie, it's actually really funny. Anyone making a show or movie with a kid in it should watch Lucky Louie to see how child characters should act.