Lucky Louie

Aired Sunday 10:30 PM Jun 11, 2006 on HBO

• Time will tell

I just watched this pilot episode, and all I can say is the show needs work. The novelty of the explicit language and sexual innuendo is going to wear thin really fast. All pilots are usually subpar because of the need to introduce the characters, but the masturbation in the closet was funny the first time, but the laughs wore thin. I will never know why characters in sitcoms are so immature and childish. All Louie had to do is talk to his wife about it not being the right time to have another child and they could have had sex with no problems. In the sitcom world, Peg Bundy would have lied and told Al she was on the pill. It was kind of shocking to hear Pamela Adlon say the f word, considering she does the voice of Bobby on King of the Hill.

I do give credit for the creators to try something new with the sitcom format, but drug and dick jokes and drug humor alone is not going to make a lasting impression. I will watch again, but I am hoping for something more. There is a lot of opportunity here to really change the sitcom forever. Talking to a roast in sexual terms is out there, but not as outrageous as Divine stealing food in Pink Flamingos, and sticking it in a place that rarely sees the sunlight.