Luther

Episode One

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM May 04, 2010 on BBC

7.8
  • Dawn of Darkness

DCI (Detective Chief Inspector) John Luther, having just caught the notorious pedophilic serial killer Henry Madsen suffers from a nervous breakdown returns to duty a year later with Madsen in a coma after an altercation that let to the finding of Madsen's last victim. Luther then takes on the case of a young woman, Alice Morgan, who supposedly found the bodies of her entire family murdered by gunshots to the head and challenges the police and Luther in particular to prove her guilty of the charges. Luther tries to reconcile with his wife, but it proves futile as she has taken on a love named Mark and he may be too late to unravel the lies surrounding the Morgan investigation. Overall a very dark, compelling series that puts Idris Elba in a star spot as a haunted detective as afraid of his own capabilities as he is of the killers he tries to hunt. Strong beginning, especially the chemistry that he and Alice share on screen real steals the moments for me anyway. Good on you BBC.
  • American-style cop show on the BBC: trust me, it's better than it sounds.

Five minutes into this cop drama I nearly shut it off; it really felt like they were taking the "tough guy cop on the edge who always gets his man" thing a little too far (and a little too literally). I guess this is more of a cliche on American TV and might seem fresher in the UK, but the opening sequence was over the top even by US standards. Luckily the show recovered from this almost immediately. Idris Elba is a terrific actor and it's good to see him get the chance to carry a show on his own, and do it with a type of character we haven't seen him play yet. Ruth Wilson almost steals the show as a genuinely creepy villain who I believe is capable of anything. A well-executed and entertaining, if not exactly original, hour of TV. Looking forward to ep 2.