Luther Forums

BBC (ended 2013)

Are you a fan of detective shows?

Heather_H

[1]May 4, 2010
    • level: 35

Are you a fan of detective shows?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

channylover

[3]May 4, 2010
    • level: 1
    no

xkelly123x

[4]May 4, 2010
    • level: 7
    nah, me neither

woodpigeon66

[5]May 4, 2010
    • level: 9
    oooh yeah

efc91

[6]May 4, 2010
    • level: 39

a good original one yes.

SuziHB

[7]May 13, 2010
    • level: 7

I am a HUGE fan of Detective/Crime shows but after watching two full episodes of Luther I am NOT a fan of this show. I find them so angry and loud (or maybe that's just Luther) and the show annoys the hell out of me. Plus the whole personal slant on it (his wife and her new BF, the crazy psychopath female trying to outwit and seduce Luther, Luther's flouting of the law and his own personal problems....). It's all too much and it seems to me the writer's are trying to cram in way too much into each episode. It's frantic.Not watching anymore of this.

Kacper86

[8]May 16, 2010
    • level: 1

SuziHB wrote:

I am a HUGE fan of Detective/Crime shows but after watching two full episodes of Luther I am NOT a fan of this show. I find them so angry and loud (or maybe that's just Luther) and the show annoys the hell out of me. Plus the whole personal slant on it (his wife and her new BF, the crazy psychopath female trying to outwit and seduce Luther, Luther's flouting of the law and his own personal problems....). It's all too much and it seems to me the writer's are trying to cram in way too much into each episode. It's frantic.Not watching anymore of this.

I agree that Luther is not an ordinary Detective/Crime show. It is more like a psychological tv series, and that's what I like about it. There were so many detective shows that I just could not watch them anymore.

Luther is a bit crazy (both the main character and the series itself). Yet, when you think about it, it turns out that it has to be. If Luther's marriage was stable (or if there was no marriage at all) then we would have another boring story about nothing. Due to these problems with his wife, John is not exactly in the best mental health. Moreover, he is quite vulnerable to psychological manipulation and there we get to best part of this show. And it's Alice Morgan of course (well played by Ruth Wilson!). Well, if you don't like her, I suppose you won't like this show either.

I have seen only two episodes yet, but I believe, that this strange relationship between John and Alice, would be the key aspect of this show.

5nak3yes

[9]May 31, 2010
    • level: 4
    I totally agree with Kacper86 , specially the part about the relationship between John n Alice

Its fun to see how she manipulates him and others around him