Luther Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on BBCBetween Seasons

Letting us know the lead is a troubled yet brilliant detective right away..

paper-kay

[1]May 8, 2010
    • level: 3

Is it just me or are we supposed to instantly believe the lead is this super clever, rebel-without-a-santa-claus, romantic but lonely dark hero, without even seeing his method once? I mean, they don't talk, so that means they're misterious, deep thinkers.. They let bad guys die, that means they're righteous and brave. They don't deal well with authority, which means they're better than us. "He's like that and that's what the show is about." Is it just me or this has been done to death? how's he gonna evolve? Into a normal guy?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TylerA46

[2]May 9, 2010
    • level: 11

Why do we need character development?

He is a bit crazy, and I don't think you can go from that to normal. He also overplayed it. I think he will stay the same, or go nuts for good.

clawz71

[3]May 11, 2010
    • level: 8
    You are way to much accustomed to American TV series. This one is British and the rules of American storytelling do not apply here. I hope that writers can astonish us with a lot more.

Besides, who says, that "development" goes from sane to insane or from insane to sane? Maybe it is insane to even more insane?

And why do you need his method, his MO, right away? He is highly intelligent and uses psychological approach (not that it does any good in court, but helps to establish some basic concepts and motivations in an investigation).

cross_mr

[4]May 11, 2010
    • level: 9
    So... L&O:CI?

FCBarca

[5]May 12, 2010
    • level: 15
    I enjoyed the first episode, tbh.

Looking forward to the second

tjaman

[6]Oct 25, 2010
    • level: 32
    He's clearly got some raw nerve and darkness in his soul. He's got a lot of confidence in the conclusions he draws from what he thinks he knows that makes him fearless, but also more than a bit frightening. As for development, when we find out what's driving him (his estranged wife seems to be something of a hot-button for him) then we can watch him meet, replace or compensate those needs. Until then, there's a lot of rage in this character and we got a glimpse of where that's coming from in the opening scenes -- something a bit less abstract than "justice," I'm guessing.