MacGyver

Brainwashed

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 24, 1989 on ABC

7.6
  • My second favorite MacGyver episode of all-time features another ecclectic mix of ingenius storytelling and dark imagery used to maximum creative effect.

The intangible magic that scriptwriter John Sheppard brought to this series was on full display again with this masterfully crafted gem. Sheppard was clearly thinking outside of the box when he penned this MacGyver original, which maintains a humming energy from beginning to end, relentlessly teases the sensibilities of the viewers with multiple plot twists and the blurred line between reality and hypnosis, and serves up a curious mix of dark imagery that is both haunting and humorous. Bruce McGill turns in his best acting performance on this series as he realizes he's losing his mind due to the brainwash. The scenes in the fun house (why couldn't they have fun houses this elaborate when I was a boy?) were fun when I was 11 and continues to bring out the 11-year-old in me today. I didn't put the pieces together and figure out Pete was the other assassin back in 1989, but probably would figure it out if I were to watch it for the first time at age 29. Whatever the case, it was episodes like this that charted MacGyver into the kind of new and bold territory that kept it interesting to audiences for so much longer than traditional action-adventure shows do.