MacGyver

Brainwashed

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 24, 1989 on ABC

7.6
  • Jack Dalton's finest hour.

I never thought Jack Dalton added a whole lot to the series as the "goofball" which he played in most episodes. But this one is quite different, as he is the subject of a dastardly hypnotic trance. The whole plot line of why he was chosen as the target to hypnotize was solid. A visiting african leader and his key ambassadors were there for goodwill, and a timely death of the leader would mean one of the ambassadors (our villians) would take his place upon returning. The real brilliance of the episode though is Macgyver interacting with Jack who is suffering from the hypnotic trance they put on him.

We really don't know how one is supposed to act when being put in a trance, but I found he pulled it off brilliantly. There was no sudden character change when he snapped in or out of it, the transition seemed very natural. This of course led to some very gripping scenes with Macgyver, when it was not clear when he was "in" or "out" of the spell. The scene in the funhouse where Macgyver has one more life than number of mirrors is one of the most memorable in the series.

The ending was a little weak, with Pete as a "backup" assassin who we never saw get hypnotized, as this also ruins the idea that Jack might be a rare case who is subject to this type of mind control. They probably should have ended it by just walking in and arressting the diplomats, but I still rank it (along with Survivors) as the best of season 4.