MacGyver

Deathlock

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jan 22, 1986 on ABC

• A well-acted villain but idiotic is the highlight of this episode.

4.4
    In "Deathlock", MacGyver faces his first well-developed nemesis, Quayle, who is played well in an over-the-top manner by Christopher Neame. A nice scene at the beginning the episode shows Quayle receiving orders from his superiors in a dark room. The audience learns that he once failed to kill MacGyver and was "punished" but has been given him another chance. He now must eliminate MacGyver or be eliminated himself. It's a well-done scene, directed nicely by Cliff Bole, and it for once shows the audience something about the man who's after MacGyver.

The rest of the episode features MacGyver and several co-workers stranded in a safehouse that has been taken over and booby-trapped by Quayle. Overall the episode plays out very much like a James Bond film. And, like a James Bond film, the villain demonstrates himself to be a fool by passing up several opportunities to take down the hero. Instead of emerging from his control room to kill MacGyver once he realises that MacGyver can overcome his traps, Quayle simply remains there and becomes angrier and angrier throughout the episode, letting MacGyver outsmart him by setting a trap of his own.

It's a shame that the first villain to be given some degree of dimensionality on MacGyver had to prove such a dolt to accommodate the plot.
  • More people watched this MacGyver episode than any other....

....at least in its original airing. Following the momentum from the brilliant episode "Nightmares" and the successful transition to Wednesday night, MacGyver made out like gangbusters when slot victor "Highway to Heaven" took the week off, catapulting MacGyver to a 17.7 rating and helping him win his time slot for the first time. The episode kicked off with flare with the coffin-turned-into-jet-ski opening gambit, which was sadly the last opening gambit the series would feature. The main story began very strongly with the booby-trapped mansion and the over-the-top revenge-bent villain Quail convincing his criminal overlords to give him another chance to capture MacGyver in that very cool opening scene. And while I wasn't necessarily disappointed in the direction the show went from there, it did seem to lose narrative momentum after MacGyver's escape via suit of armor with an egg-beater motor fooling the machine guns on motion detectors. "Bimbo of the week" Karen was a poor character across the board and served as a needless distraction to the underlying excitement...and the escapes became less inspired in the final half, particularly the "baking soda bomb" that disabled the indoor motion detector. The ending, with the spaghetti wire/water cannon trap, was also less than awe-inspiring compared to the niftier things he did in those early episodes. Nonetheless, a compelling episode that would help secure the series' ongoing momentum.
  • MacGyver and Pete are cleverly trapped in a Boobytrapped mansion along with a female government agent. An old nemesis, Quayle, is determined to kill MacGyver with everything he has got and prove he is the better man. Will MacGyver and Pete make it out a

I enjoyed this episode as it is the first time we see Quayle, an old nemesis that has a second chance to kill MacGyver. He does it well and boobytraps the mansion well, I think.

It was a little obvious that MacGyver would have to go for the power source as all of Quayle's boobytraps were electrical. However, MacGyver has a real hard challenge for the first time as Pete is mixed up in the mess, as MacGyver actually escaped the mansion and had to return to save him!

Now we have an enemy for MacGyver, like Batman - the Joker, Superman - Lex Luther etc. it makes it more interesting and we get to know Quayle's strategies. Overall good episode.
  • House of Horrors

This was the first episode where Mac had a nemisis. And Quale was a good nemesis, a deranged egitistical Merc who is almost as smart as Macgyver is since he has the whole house cleverly booby traped. But like most villans he has two major weaknesses, as Macguyver states he egotistical he likes to hear himself talk a lot. And also despite how clever he is he doesn't think things all the way though (for example: why the heck didn't he think of placeing a booby trap in the one area where he's most vunerable?). This episode though isn't perfect there are a couple of flaws that held it back for me, one of them was the resolution to the deadly game. It just seemed way too obvious (you might as well paint a bulleye in that room). But then again it works every time so I can't complain that much about it. But the one thing I didn't like the most was the character Carol who was a poor character and bad signifant other factor for Macgyver, I just didn't find her believable as an agent nor a person to feel much sympathy for due to how dumb and overly melodramatic she can be in the episode. This factor should have been handled better or may'be just recast her part. But despite this everything else is fine.

This was like a Batman vs. The Riddler/Joker like sittuation, what I loved what he thought of to outwit Quailes booby traps. Like turning an ordinary serving cart into an R.C. car to act as a decoy for the automatic guns, clever. And I just knew he would catch on to who the traitor in his group is (theres an old saying, never trust a pritty face). The important thing is not the resolution to the sittuation, it's how Mac gets to it, in a rather intense circumstances that counts.
  • One of the few best MacGyver episodes ever made.

I love it, MacGyver and Pete trapped in a high tech bobby traped mansion and MacGyver shows us how to make a electronic jammer, a motorized moving armor, vinagar and baking soda smokescreen, a early warning system, and a short circuit lure into a water cannon. I love this episode and I suggest to see this one for sure.
  • Memorable but silly.

This is an episode everyone remembers, all the clever traps really put Macgyver's talents to good use. Decoys, scramblers, smokescreens, periscopes, are just some of the tricks Mac has up his sleave in dealing with the demented Quayle. One problem I had was, after escaping, Macgyver trusts Quayle will "turn off his guns" to let him back in. Mac is pretty trusting of the demented Quayle to trust him. Also poor acting of Quayle and the girl hurts the episode, but it is still an exciting, defining, and unique episode of the series that I would encourage anyone to watch.