MacGyver

Easy Target

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 01, 1989 on ABC

• Macguyver's Best Episode

Ok, so I'm biased. I lived 200 metres up the street from the "Iron Mountain Convenience" store featured in the episode, and as a 4 year old kid I have a flashbulb memory of a gigantic semi truck with a "laser" making a wrong turn down my driveway and my dad having to go out to help them back it up...

But besides the nostalgia, as a Macguyver fan I think this is the single best episode. Less "silly" than many others, it is an episode that feels like a movie. Serious, dark, with high stakes. Macguyver's not helping some kid stand up to bullies or something, these are true terrorists that cannot be reasoned with, only defeated. It's also notable as an episode where Macguyver preforms a number of tricks vs. the 1-2 he usually pulls in an episode beyond the first season.

A great showing of my Vancouver suburb, and it shows as the best episode with the Macguyver as originally intended. I've seen/own every episode, this is #1.
  • A series that's really on a roll creatively churns out another first-rate episode with a thoughtfully layered plot.

This stretch of episodes in the late fourth season stands out to me as MacGyver in its prime. The execution of nearly every story was phenominal and the quality of the productions were even more polished than usual. "Easy Target" was another case in point, featuring an ominous terrorist plot that MacGyver and Pete happen to stumble upon. One has to suspend their disbelief to accept the premise that four terrorists could logistically pull off such a subterfuge, but this is action-adventure TV, so what the hey. The defusal of the hand gernades in the storm cellar was fiendishly clever, but the episode hit its narrative peak as MacGyver and Pete figure out the dimensions of the terrorist plot, specifically how they blew out the phone grid to create a dead zone where the PowerTech energy company facility was located. The scenes at PowerTech were intense and uncharacteristically violent for MacGyver standards, culminating in the climactic closing scenes and the imaginative destruction of the EMP generator. I was intrigued to learn that scriptwriter Rick Drew was not pleased with this episode as some changes had to be made in the last minute because of a conflict with filming locations. The episode worked spectacularly for me and I don't know of any viewers who weren't impressed with it, so I don't think Mr. Drew has any reason to be hard on himself for this one.