MacGyver

Every Time She Smiles

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Feb 19, 1986 on ABC

• One of those episodes that I appreciate more with additional viewings.

The more I watch this episode, the more I appreciate its elaborately crafted storyline from season one's best scriptwriter James Schmerer. The abundance of clever escapes via airport baggage conveyor, merry-go-round, and heavily-guarded apartment buildings also added to the excitement with MacGyverisms aplenty. The abundance of Cold War-era spyjinks (and the setting in Communist Bulgaria) also lent some genuine 80's atmosphere to the plot. I have mixed feelings on the introduction of Penny Parker, however. She's the ultimate "bimbo of the week" in many ways, but Teri Hatcher played the role with a memorable energy not seen by the likes of other recent "bimbos", such as Amy Austin or Karen from "Deathlock". Also, I must admit I didn't get the ending. Was it meant to imply that Penny is such a tramp that she's had her way with the Greek border guard? It would have been helpful to have had some narrative clarification leading up to that epilogue revelation. Otherwise, a strong episode with a rising stock for me.