MacGyver

Fire and Ice

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 26, 1987 on ABC

7.7
  • Very entertaining

I watched this episode when I was only 10 years old and to be honest, it was quite entertaining. However, now that I've watched it again after more than 20 years I still find hard to believe how Amir fell for the whole thing so easily. And how he didn't suspect anything when he was allowed to go inside the vault and see all the diamonds... anyway. Could've been the dazzling beauty of Nikki Carpenter or how greedy and ambitious he was.

The plot is fun and interesting and we get to meet Nikki Carpenter, who, in my opinion, was a great addition to the cast and a good sidekick for MacGyver. And as a little girl back in the 80's, someone I wanted to look like when I grew up.

I'm so happy I was able to get the DVD's and I'm having a blast watching the episodes again.
  • Some clever plotting and conniving makes this one entertaining, but the convenience factor of these "sting" episodes always make them hard for me to swallow.

I'll admit that I didn't care for this episode back in 1987 when I first watched it. The layering of the "sting" was thorough enough that my 10-year-old brain didn't have the patience to wade through it all. Having watched it multiple times since as an adult, I've grown to appreciate the complexity of the narrative and the stylish Miami Vice-esque visuals. Seeing Nikki Carpenter (introduced for the first time in this episode) repelling in a mini-skirted maid's uniform didn't hurt either. But I mentioned in my review of "Twice Stung" how these sting episodes undermine themselves with the convenience factor. That problem is very noticeable in this episode, as Amir behaved exactly as predicted every step of the way. The most preposterous example came at the end when MacGyver and Nikki allegedly predicted that Amir would choose to kill them "in their own gas chamber" during the theft rather than simply shoot them dead (in which case their entire plan would clearly have been derailed). The sheer craziness of that scene, where Mac and Nikki simply pressed a secret button and opened up the acedaline-filled jewel vault after Amir fled the scene, still manages to sour me a little on the entire story.