MacGyver

Fire and Ice

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 26, 1987 on ABC

7.7
  • Some clever plotting and conniving makes this one entertaining, but the convenience factor of these "sting" episodes always make them hard for me to swallow.

I'll admit that I didn't care for this episode back in 1987 when I first watched it. The layering of the "sting" was thorough enough that my 10-year-old brain didn't have the patience to wade through it all. Having watched it multiple times since as an adult, I've grown to appreciate the complexity of the narrative and the stylish Miami Vice-esque visuals. Seeing Nikki Carpenter (introduced for the first time in this episode) repelling in a mini-skirted maid's uniform didn't hurt either. But I mentioned in my review of "Twice Stung" how these sting episodes undermine themselves with the convenience factor. That problem is very noticeable in this episode, as Amir behaved exactly as predicted every step of the way. The most preposterous example came at the end when MacGyver and Nikki allegedly predicted that Amir would choose to kill them "in their own gas chamber" during the theft rather than simply shoot them dead (in which case their entire plan would clearly have been derailed). The sheer craziness of that scene, where Mac and Nikki simply pressed a secret button and opened up the acedaline-filled jewel vault after Amir fled the scene, still manages to sour me a little on the entire story.