MacGyver Forums

ABC (ended 1992)

Jack Dalton

dvenyce

[1]Jul 17, 2008
    • level: 4

Is this a cool character or what?

What are your feelings on Jack. I think he should have been in more episodes. What do yall think.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CaptainHarkness

[2]Jul 17, 2008
    • level: 23
    I agree that he should have been in more episodes. Heck they could have even made him a regular on the show.

Fwirrel

[3]Jul 17, 2008
    • level: 52
    I loved Jack's story lines. He was always getting in trouble and dragging Mac along with him. I think he had a good role in the show and I wouldn't mind to see him more, but I'm pleased with how much he was in the show. I don't think he would have been a good regular cast member.

OnePerCentClub

[4]Aug 3, 2008
    • level: 35

I think they could've used him more because he was MacGyver's sidekick. Thought I always hated the way he got Mac into trouble. But MacGyver was a very good friend, he was always there for him.

LG

Mlebaron

[5]Sep 17, 2008
    • level: 11
    I think that Bruce McGill may have been the best actor on the show, and he was in less than 20 episodes! Now certainly RDA and Dana Elcar could hold their own, but more often than not, the guest casting was atrocious. Of course, this had to make ABC happy because it kept the show cheap, which is probably a reason it stayed on the air for 7 seasons.

I was raised on this show and I own all 7 seasons on DVD. But watching it now, it's easier to enjoy because of the cheesiness and bad acting rather than genuinely being into the plots and characters. But I don't want to bash on MacGyver, because I love the show to death.

I think that the Jack Dalton episodes were by far the most memorable of the series.

dvenyce

[6]Apr 3, 2009
    • level: 4
    Mlebaron wrote:
    I think that Bruce McGill may have been the best actor on the show, and he was in less than 20 episodes! Now certainly RDA and Dana Elcar could hold their own, but more often than not, the guest casting was atrocious. Of course, this had to make ABC happy because it kept the show cheap, which is probably a reason it stayed on the air for 7 seasons. I was raised on this show and I own all 7 seasons on DVD. But watching it now, it's easier to enjoy because of the cheesiness and bad acting rather than genuinely being into the plots and characters. But I don't want to bash on MacGyver, because I love the show to death. I think that the Jack Dalton episodes were by far the most memorable of the series.
    I agree with all you points.

fifth_dimension

[7]Jun 9, 2010
    • level: 6

It`s a love/hate thing with the Dalton character for me. There are episodes where his kind of air headed ignorance can get a genuine laugh out of you but more often than not the comedic side of this character comes off as too overbearing and takes the show beyond it's already sizable cheese level. Don't get me wrong, it has always been one of my favourite shows...faults and all.....but this is one show that at times really toed the cringe worthy line. A light tap could push it over that line most times and with the Jack Dalton character it would be more like a nudge from a rhino than a tap to send it over.

Favourite Dalton one for me is the Mask of the Wolf (or Illocom)...the season escapes me.

OnePerCentClub

[8]Aug 23, 2010
    Mlebaron wrote:
    I was raised on this show and I own all 7 seasons on DVD. But watching it now, it's easier to enjoy because of the cheesiness and bad acting rather than genuinely being into the plots and characters. But I don't want to bash on MacGyver, because I love the show to death.

I guess that's why the show couldn't be a hit today because sometimes the plots were so oriented on something important to nature or society and this has been lost over the years and more now with the addition of reality shows to primetime broadcasting.

That's why new shows of the nature of MacGyver get cancelled too soon. For example, I was a huge fan of Eleventh Hour. Good show, good plot, good ratings and even so it was cut.

Parsec54

[9]Aug 24, 2010
    • level: 20

OnePerCentClub wrote:
    Mlebaron wrote:
    I guess that's why the show couldn't be a hit today because sometimes the plots were so oriented on something important to nature or society and this has been lost over the years and more now with the addition of reality shows to primetime broadcasting. That's why new shows of the nature of MacGyver get cancelled too soon. For example, I was a huge fan of Eleventh Hour. Good show, good plot, good ratings and even so it was cut.

Anything with a social conscience or relevance doesn't seem to make it anywhere on today's tv. People don't like to THINK for themselves anymore, and shows like MacGyver (and Sliders, for that matter) actually had something to say about society, be it racism, or nature, or gun control... Most feel shows like that are too preachy now, and they can do what THEY want, regardless of the consequences. MacGyver showed the consequences, and spoke out about them. The whole show tried to show an alternative to violence in solving whatever problems came along. Society today seems to be almost all ABOUT violence, the more blood spilled the better. Good shows like MacGyver are becoming fewer and farther between. Will they die out completely? If "reality" programming continues, I think I'd be pretty safe in saying they will. Unfortunately.

OnePerCentClub

[10]Nov 16, 2010
    I totally agree.