MacGyver Forums

ABC (ended 1992)

TV Movies

CaptainHarkness

[1]Jun 25, 2008
    • level: 23
    Does anyone know if the MacGyver made for TV movies are going to be released on DVD anytime soon? I know they came with the complete series set but I already have the complete series on DVD but not the complete series collection.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

solome

[2]Jul 11, 2008
    • level: 8
    I really don't have any idea.

neishi-boi

[3]Sep 12, 2008
    • level: 18
    Would be nice to get on DVD - or even have a re-run on TV after all these years...

rustbuckets4

[4]Nov 10, 2008
    • level: 2
    i was wondering about the same thing.

OnePerCentClub

[5]May 22, 2009
    • level: 35
    Those movies were very good.

krozfan182

[6]Mar 8, 2010
    • level: 4

Looks like the movies are planned for a release on June 8th

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/MacGyver-The-TV-Movies/13437

CaptainHarkness

[7]Mar 8, 2010

krozfan182 wrote:

Looks like the movies are planned for a release on June 8th

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/MacGyver-The-TV-Movies/13437

I jumped for joy when I saw that article. Its about time. Anyone else going to be there first day? Laughing

OnePerCentClub

[8]Mar 23, 2010
    Me!!!

atc4gvn

[9]Mar 25, 2010
    • level: 20

The release date for the two TV movies is June 15, 2010. You can preorder the DVD at amazon.com for 14.49 sale off the 19.99 retail price. This is awesome news, because I heard that the entire series collection was not great. It had CARDBOARD instead of plastic casings to protect your DVDs. I cannot believe they would charge you SO much for the entire series and make the packaging LESS helpful with the only "extra" being the two tv movies. THANK goodness they are releasing them this way, so you don't have to waste your money on a poorly made entire series product.

OnePerCentClub

[10]Apr 4, 2010
    That's why I got the individual box sets.

CaptainHarkness

[11]Jul 12, 2010

I've had mine for a few weeks now and I've now watched both of them. I must say I liked Trail to Doomsday a lot more than Lost Treasure of Atlantis. It just felt more exciting and not as goofy. But Atlantis was still enjoyable.

Parsec54

[12]Aug 10, 2010

Ok, I admit I'm a little slow, but I just found out by accident that these were available by finding them for sale at another website. I haven't gotten them yet, but I guarantee I'll be ordering them soon. And it'll be nice to see them, finally. I completely missed them when they originally aired, and I've never seen them at all, so I'm looking forward to it

Parsec54

[13]Apr 22, 2011

I finally just recently got the TV movies DVD and after cautiously looking forward to watching them for the first time (as previously mentioned, I'd never even been aware until years after that there'd BEEN any TV movies once the series was over) I was very disappointed. They merely continued the downward trend the series had started once Dana Elcar left the show. The boundaries of coincidence were stretched beyond believability in these movies; he just seemed to keep blundering into these crazy situations. At least when he worked for the Phoenix Fountation, his reasons for being in foreign countries and doing the things he was doing were plausible. Not only that, they continued to get more and more repetitive. Being buried alivewith grain was done in at least one of the series episodes that I remember, if not two, and here they not only do it AGAIN, but they don't even bother to show or explain how he got out of it.

Of the two, I thought Trail to Doomsday was the worse one. It was horribly predictable all the way through, all the way down to his friend's daughter not really being dead. I also thought his wandering around the sewers pointless, and the "initiation" into the supposed underground organization a bit too easily arranged. I didn't trust his friend's brother right from the start.

Though there are other issues I could also get into, the last one I'll mention here is the fact that none of the older characters even showed up. Penny could have been around, and Jack Dalton would have made a GREAT addition to the Lost Treasure of Atlantis. He would have had some kind of scheme to exploit it to get rich quick, of course. The situation would have been a natural for him, and a great opportunity for the writers to bring Jack back for one last adventure together, but alas, they chose to go with completely unknown characters as well as actors and let a once-great series die a painful death.

Yeah, I bought the DVD. Will I ever watch it again? Chances are, probably not. I'll just keep it to have the complete MacGyver collection (once I get the last two seasons, anyway, but those are going to wait, possibly a good long time...)