MacGyver Forums

ABC (ended 1992)

When did you lose interest?

breszfr

[1]Dec 21, 2005
    • level: 3
    I think it was season 7. When he started to get very touchy feely with solving problems.

Anyone remember the movie that was on about 2 years after the show ended. It was really bad, had something about harmonic convergence, and showed the planets including Saturn's rings visible to the naked eye. It was quite bad.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

miss_wierd

[2]Dec 23, 2005
    • level: 13
    I never lost interest.. I love the show.. I loved the movies.. I'm a big fan.

Carterfan

[3]Dec 24, 2005
    • level: 6
    I always loved the show.....though after a while I kept thinking a couple of things

1. Why didn't the bad guys just shoot him (when they claimed to have had prior run ins with him) knowing how he was famous for getting out of tight spots

2. How there was always just the right odds and ends and things lying around where ever he was to get him out of those tight spots

3. He doesn't like guns but will blow things up???

Blaze_375

[4]Dec 28, 2005
    • level: 4
    I haven't seen the movies, but I still love the show and probably always will. I also agree with the other questions above and have some of my own.

1. Why does he never get shot when zillions of bullets are being shot at him?

2. Why is it that his friends seem to drop like flies when he is around?

3. How the heck does he know all of this stuff?

mgreen789

[5]Dec 28, 2005
    • level: 50
    Blaze_375 wrote:
    I haven't seen the movies, but I still love the show and probably always will. I also agree with the other questions above and have some of my own.

1. Why does he never get shot when zillions of bullets are being shot at him?

2. Why is it that his friends seem to drop like flies when he is around?

3. How the heck does he know all of this stuff?

1. Why does everyone on TV and in movies always dodge bullets?

2. He is just unlucky, or has bad friends. When you work for the government and governmental organizations, people are always out to get you and your friends, plus its TV.

3. Well the knowledge that he has is not knowledge that any student who majors in physics or chemistry wouldn't know, the amazing part is that he can apply all the knowledge to find quick solutions. Better question, how is what he needs always there. He needs hydochloric acid... oh wait, there it is! He needs a lithium battery... oh wait, there one is!

Parsec54

[6]Dec 29, 2005
    • level: 20
    I won't exactly say I lost interest. I watched the show the whole time it was on. What I will say, however, is that I think things started to go downhill when Dana Elcar had to leave the show due to his failing eyesight. Suddenly Mac seemed to stop working for the Phoenix Foundation, so the writers lost their best device for providing reasons for all of the adventures he would get into. They started going farther and farther from the realm of scientifically possible to not-quite-believable with people that looked like vampires and people into voodoo. I am not denying that voodoo exists, but it was a little too far out and showed just how desperate the writers were getting for ideas. Plus they started to repeat themselves with how he got out of his problems, which also showed a little bit of rustiness on their parts. If they had let the show die when Pete left, it wouldn't have lost so much of its focus and, to me, anyway, become more a mockery of itself. That's why I plan on getting the season five dvd's as soon as they come out but as for the last two seasons, I'll get them after I have gotten other shows I liked more, if the last two seasons are still available by then.
    With all that said, though, does anyone know if Paramount is planning on including the two "movies" with the last season's DVD release?

rustbuckets4

[7]Dec 30, 2005
    • level: 2
    I never lost interest in the show. i always like watching him getting out of a jam he got into.

rerich

[8]Jan 16, 2006
    • level: 5
    Carterfan wrote:
    I always loved the show.....though after a while I kept thinking a couple of things

1. Why didn't the bad guys just shoot him (when they claimed to have had prior run ins with him) knowing how he was famous for getting out of tight spots

2. How there was always just the right odds and ends and things lying around where ever he was to get him out of those tight spots

3. He doesn't like guns but will blow things up???

I Never lost interest either and am thrilled with my season three collection. I've missed season one and will have to look for it. It does have two of my most favorite episodes.

Murdock never just shot him because he was after MacGyver because of his ego. He had to prove he could beat him at his own game. Besides Murdock and MacGyver were like identical twins that got separated at birth. They were both intelligent, inventive, stubborn, and hard to kill. Murdock turned all his talent to evil and destruction and MacGyver turned his to good and life. Wouldn't MacGyver hate that idea!

I think the idea was that MacGyver got his inspiration from whatever was laying around. He was a chemistry and physics major, a bomb disposal expert in Vietnam, and has a grandfather who is just as inventive as he is. I think the idea was suppposed to come from the available stuff, not the other way around.

I always wondered about the last one myself. Of course, they finally did an episode that showed why he hates guns. One aspect of that question is how did he wind up in the army? He was in college so would not have been subject to the draft. Also how did he make it through boot camp without shooting a gun? Maybe he wasn't in the military in Vietnam, maybe he was a hired contractor. But I believe that episode where his old defusing partner gets killed claims he was in the army.

port5170

[9]Feb 5, 2006
    • level: 12
    just joined this particlar forum but I never lost interest, I still watch the reruns great show from start to finish

Carterfan

[10]Feb 14, 2006
    Agreed....excellent from start to finish....maybe some of the stuff was a little far fetched but still very enjoyable to watch....considering so much of the stuff is garbage that is on the tube these days....

whateverfits

[11]Jul 30, 2006
    • level: 1
    I never watched the show too much so I never lost interest.  MacGyver is an amazing show but I think any show can lose it's appeal if you watch it too much.  By the way, very good speech, rerich, I completely agree. 

sfviewer

[12]Aug 3, 2006
    • level: 27
      i never lost interest with the show, maybe there were episodes that i didn't like, but i kept watching the show. i missed watching season 6 and 7, i should get that on dvd. i'm sure i'll be delighted.

Carterfan

[13]Aug 29, 2006
    If I were to ever say I lost interest (which I can safely say I never did) it would have been purely out of my control.....there was a period when I moved out of my parents and I didn't have cable so I had to have my dad record all the episodes of the last season for me......

sh811a

[14]Sep 2, 2006
    • level: 28

For me it had to be Season 7.  Season 7 was the weakest link in the whole series.  The whole show started to lose momentum once the Pete character was gone along with the Phenix foudation.  That was a very big problem because the motivation device was gone which made the show purpose for Macgyver, Macgyver suddenly quits but out of a whim still goes on these adventures it really didn't make sense, he's can be selfless but not stupid.  Also most of the adventures were looking rather silly, you couldn't help but sense the writers were either geting desperate to keep Mac around or just lost their touch.  Still there are some good episodes from Season 7 but unfortunate it was too little too late once that cancelation ax swinged Mac's way.

FourOfFive

[15]Apr 27, 2007
    • level: 5
    I have always loved Macgyver(and never lost interest). I remember watching it with my family when I was young(I was 4 when it ended). What are the names of the movies? I never new there were any.

Gibbs_lover

[16]May 8, 2007
    • level: 7
    rustbuckets4 wrote:
    I never lost interest in the show. i always like watching him getting out of a jam he got into.

Same here

solome

[17]Feb 1, 2008
    • level: 8

FourOfFive wrote:
    What are the names of the movies? I never new there were any.

The tv movies are, Lost Treasure of Atlantis and Trail to Doomsday. And I still love this show and still think it was the bestone ever made!

OnePerCentClub

[18]Feb 15, 2008
    • level: 35

I never lost interest, I wish I could still watch the show on TV.

LG

solome

[19]Apr 23, 2008
    • level: 8
    Yeah, me too. But instead I just got some of the DVDs instead!

Mlebaron

[20]Sep 17, 2008
    • level: 11
    I never lost interest during the show's run (and subsequent re-runs) in the early-mid 1990s. That said, I don't know if I would watch the show regularly if it were on today. Still, that's and apples and oranges debate, and I always love me some classic MacGyver!