MacGyver

Good Knight MacGyver (2)

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 11, 1991 on ABC

• Very few MacGyver episodes matched the cleverness of this episode, making it the highlight of season seven.

I still can't understand why DVD reviewers singled out this episode from the seventh season to pan when it had such a tight and clever script. It's very hard to make a dream sequence/fantasy episode work, but "Good Knight, MacGyver" overcome very long odds and pulled it off, with the high bar set in part one actually getting surpassed in part two. Every logistical element from part one was shrewdly deployed as a mechanism for escape in part two, ranging from the king's amulet to Merlin's wine bottle to the use of the term "pivot point". The opening escape scene from above the molten pit was both exciting and comical, raising the stakes of Merlin's rivalry with MacGyver. Turning the king's amulet into a dog whistle and using the gunpowder from Morgana's lab to unveil Ian M'Iver's coded message in the dungeon walls all helped to contribute to this creative masterpiece. Even the Scottish origin of MacGyver's long-hidden first name was worth seven seasons of hype and the uber-dramatic context in which it was revealed.

Robin Strasser's performance as Morgana was as deliciously over-the-top as anyone could dream for, and her execution of the snoozing guard was darkly hilarious. Of course, the episode's creative peak came at the climax with the ingenius recreation of Benjamin Franklin's lightning trick that ultimately blew up Morgana's gunpowder lab. This may well go down as my favorite MacGyverism of all-time. Even the closing scene, where MacGyver awoke to find the real-life characters paralleling those from his King Arthur fantasy. The only weak point for me, aside from the fact that it's kind of hard for me to take dream/fantasy episodes as seriously as I do regular episodes, was the special effects. Whether it was the ridiculous animated castle footage or the old-school depiction of electricity, the FX were so cheesy that the forced the viewer to cringe even amidst the impressively clever story they were watching.