MacGyver

Halloween Knights

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 30, 1989 on ABC

• MacGyver is trapped and forced to help his enimy Murdoc, save his sister from H.I.T.

MacGyver has to help Murdoc! I loved it. I always love the episodes that the hero has to help his enimy. This episode revealed a lot about Murdoc that we didn't know before. Like that he has a sister or that he kneds MacGyver's know how. Isn't he gald that he hadn't killed MacGyver earlyer! This is by far my favorite episode with Murdoc in it and very possibly my favorite episode. I would recomend it to everyone and anyone who watches the show or has never met Murdoc. If you haven't seen Murdoc before, you probably wouldn't think he was an enimy of MacGyver.
  • Another terrific Murdoc outing that once again represents this series thinking outside the box.

Scriptwriter John Sheppard continues his streak of thinking outside the box for story ideas and brings an intangible degree of fun to "Halloween Knights", an episode that begins with what looks like another con job by Jack Dalton in its early stages. Before the end of the first act, it's clear that Murdoc is back. I was skeptical going into this episode that MacGyver and Murdoc could ever work together, but Sheppard pulled it off with a complex and convincing explanation that led to their partnership. The two had an intriguing and even comedic chemistry as they attempted to penetrate H.I.T.'s security and rescue Murdoc's kidnapped sister. Cleverness ensued throughout, and although another "Batman death trap" comparison may be in order for many viewers, I was perfectly pleased by MacGyver and Murdoc's entertaining and exciting journey through "Death Row", particularly the snake pit they had to traverse before extracting Ashton from the electric chair. There was a great deal to love about this episode, including the elusive epilogue, but I have to dock a couple-tenths of a point simply because Murdoc worked better for me as a flamboyant villain. As I said, his banter with MacGyver during their short-lived partnership was perfectly amusing, but when I think of this duo's history of bitter ugliness, it all seemed just a little hard to swallow. So for me, this is a solid top-15 episode, but not an all-time favorite as it seems to be for a great many MacGyver fans.
  • Murdoc! alive....again

This being one of my favorite episodes on the season 5 dvd set of macgyver I just have to give it ten. This is the first episode That I have seen with Murdoc, I guess in the last season he had half of his face burned off. In this episode macgyver is forced to help Murdoc save his sister from this organization who wants Murdoc dead because he Quit. This is also a halloween episode just in case you couldn't tell from the title. This, I find is one of the more interesting episodes because you get to see a hero team up with his arch enemy. At the end of this episode like all the others with murdoc he "dies". Later...
  • MacGyver lends a helping hand to his arch nemesis Murdoc, in an unforgettable teaming of friend against foe. Mac and Murdoc make a delicious pair, leaving fans wanting more from this terrific twosome.

Simply put, "Halloween Knights" is sublime. The quick and dirty premise is also the most important factoid to delight in...Murdoc is BACK. Any episode with Murdoc is a MacGyver classic anyway, so you know from the get-go "Halloween Knights" is going to be good.

And it is and so much more, for not only is Murdoc back, complete with a new face (the other was horribly disfigured by multiple "deaths" by fire, explosion, falling, you name it), and living under a cemetery in Mac's part of town, he is supposedly walking the straight and narrow and needs Mac's help. You see, the maliciously murderous Murdoc actually has a soft-spot--his sister Ashton, who knows nothing of him, but has benefited through the years from his anonymous watchfulness (and prolly the occasional third-party check from H.I.T.). Anyway, since Murdoc has defected from H.I.T. (the concept of which we are first introduced to in this episode), H.I.T. hits back by taking away the only thing Murdoc cares about--Ashton. Since Mac is the best, 'doc needs his help in getting back his sister. "Why should I help you?" retorts Mac. Well MacGyver, because you're such a swell guy.

Ok, so it's Halloween as the title suggests, and to get Ashton back, Murdoc has been summonsed to an exclusive H.I.T. costume party, at which he will most likely endure and long and particularly sadistic retirement ritual, observed by a Royal Flush. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

MacGyver agrees to help Murdoc under a few conditions: That they do it Mac's way (no guns, no violence), and that once Ashton is found and freed, Murdoc will provide Mac with all he needs to know to shut H.I.T. down for good. To top it off, Murdoc is to turn himself in to the police, to pay for the lives he has taken and all the havoc his awesome badness has caused. Murdoc agrees, albeit a little reluctantly on the last one, and the terrific two-some set out to save the day (or night) by crashing the party.

This night is also the host of a top-secret board meeting of H.I.T. big-wigs, who are showing up dressed as a Royal Flush. Murdoc and Mac overtake the Joker and Mac shows up in full costume to dumb-it up at a bored meeting. Little did he know he would have to make a report, and hilariously stalls as Murdoc struggles to cut the power and "flush" him out of there.

Accelerating a bit, Mac and Murdoc make it to the killing fields (as I like to call them), the elaborate, automated shooting range created specifically for Murdoc, and stealthily make their way around machine guns with motion sensors and various other creative, MacGyver-worthy obstacles.

Lots of awesomely daring tricks and treats in this thrilling last few minutes, as MacGyver tiptoes his way through a pit of rainbow-colored vipers (with a snake-fearing Murdoc atop his shoulders!!) to save Ashton and ultimately the day. Or night. Or "Knight," for that matter. These two truly are the knights in this ep, an unlikely team making for a more than memorable episode of "MacGyver."

The end of the episode has Murdoc questionably dead (again), Ashton safe, and Murdoc coming through on his deal to end the antics of H.I.T.. As for turning himself in, well, did you ever think he would? An awesome MacGyver in every since...by season five writers had the formula down to a science, and "Halloween Knights" is a perfect example of how this show can get it so very, very right.