MacGyver

Legend of the Holy Rose (1)

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Sep 18, 1989 on ABC

• Never a dull moment in this treasure hunt.

I would say this is the only truly excellent entry of the 2 hour episodes. From the start we meet a really young and passionate professor who really sells us (and Macgyver) the story of the holy grail. The trek to find the pieces spans several locations around the world and of course there are nefarious villains in the way who also want it. What really makes the episode work is how Richard Dean Anderson goes from being totally reluctant to help at first, and completely sold at the end even more than Zoey. His acting performance is alot more "sincere" than most other episodes. The first scene we see this is after being strapped to a torture device and left to die. For once, we get the impression he really is under some heavy stress and is worried about death. At the end of the 2nd part, when he discovers Ambrose's invention of the laser, we cans ee how he really is amazed by that being a man of science himself. The villians are a bit generic in quality, with not much development, but having Zoey's professor in on it was a nice twist. I'm not sure if I would call it the best of season 5, as there are some true gems like Jenny's Chance and Halloween Knights, but it is arguable.