MacGyver

Live and Learn

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jan 15, 1990 on ABC

7.4
  • Education in Life

I'll admit this isn't exactly one of the greatest episodes I've seen. It sort of comes off as just a bit preachy, but that flaw can be overlooked.

The theme is basically the importance of education, how it can both make a difference in people and be a ticket to the future. This episode has two pluses, for one thing it's one of those rare Macgyver episodes where there are no bad guys involved, I feel that's a relief because sometimes fighting bad guys all the time gets rather routine.

But most of all it has a few characters that are rough on the surface but on the inside their actually good natured people that you feel a sense of sympathy for their dilemas which are understandable. From a teacher at the school who had good ideals but has lost his way to get to them. Tony a kid who is troubled but really does want to learn. And his father who harbors a painful secret about his illeteracy. But as the story goes further as Macgyver helps them more, you warm up to them as we see all three have one thing in common, they've never lost faith in education. Their redemptive good quialities show and all of them open the door to redemption.