MacGyver

ABC (ended 1992)

Gislef

MacGyver Fan Reviews (99)

• I think that everyone would agree that MacGyver is the best hero of any TV show. He makes bombs out of paper clips and hates guns and violence, plus he is extremely smart and can invent anything. That is what makes this show great.

The characters are good, especially the recurring ones, Dalton, Murdock, etc. It is a decent show that is worth watching on reruns. Just seeing what he is going to invent or what "MacGyver" he is going to pull is what made this show was good as it was. Great show for any one to watch on TV.
  • A show can't be more fun to watch than this show.

MacGyver is definitely the best television series ever!!! This show was a totally different show from all the violent action heroes proliferated in both movies and on TV. MacGyver actually used his brain and showed viewers that there's a better way than using guns. All of his tricks on the show are totally backed up by science. It's true that some elements were left out on the show, but this is only because the producers of the show were responsible and didn't want children to emulate anything that might be possibly dangerous. MacGyver was a hero who said "ow" when it hurt from throwing punches, because he was a very human character and it made him a more real character you could relate to. He also rarely cursed, (by the 2nd. season onward, he never cursed at all), he did not use guns, he did not drink alcohol, he did not smoke, and he was always helping someone whenever they were in trouble. He is a great example of a true hero. MacGyver is an overall clean show that still delivers plenty of great action, adventure and excitement, as well as teaching viewers a bit about science along the way. MacGyver ROCKS!!!

• MacGyver was an awesome show full of action and adventure. The puzzle's RDA had to solve got smoked by his overwhelming ability to overcome the impossible.

I liked the show personally because its a fun show to watch. These situations would most likely never happen in real-like or in the way it did in the show at all. It was interesting to watch RDA get out of these crazy over-the-top situations. Its was good show and one that I watched back in the day.
  • One word. Great!!

This show is a joy to watch. Watching to see what Macgyver would do next to get out of certain situations was the best part. The murdoc episodes were the best. Macgyver's friend Jack Dalton was great too always driving Mac crazy and getting him into situations. Then there was his boss Pete. He made Mac a better character. I wish they would make more Macgyver movies like they did when the show had just went off the air. It would be great to see Macgyver in action again. The actor they played Pete died so there couldn't be Pete Thornton but they could still make some great tv movies.
  • I used to watch this religiously.

Truly a classic in my TV memory! It may seem a bit dated now (especially MacGyver’s haircut ;-)), but it is still enjoyable to watch. Who hasn’t tried some of the ‘tricks’ done by MacGyver?
    I was glad when this series came out on DVD. It’ll make a nice addition to my collection.
  • Just bought it on DVD & watched the whole First Season!

I actually was just given this last month for my birthday. I was born in the 70’s so when this came on TV, I do remember watching it quite often but it was a time in my life when I was more interested in riding my BMX around Launceston, Tasmania than staying in to watch TV.

Putting in the DVD player & hearing the opening theme, I still remember as a teenager wishing I could do all of those things. However, Science really wasn’t that cool.

From the very first episode, it made me laugh. They’re in this underground office & they’ve all got mugs of coffee in their hands & some guy lights up a smoke! I live in Sydney now & we’ve just banned smoking in Pubs & Clubs. I can’t even imagine rocking back in my chair at work & lighting up.

What is it with computer sounds? I know that there was no Windows 95 back then but did computers really make all of those beeps? In one episode, MacGyver is at a charity Science benefit & they have this obviously remote controlled robot serving drinks & supposedly talking to people. Even Dexter the Robot off Blind Date wasn’t this bad.

I’ve actually been going into work & telling everybody that I’ve been watching it & I have been getting a LOT of stick for it. That hair (is it blonde tips), the gadgets & the thin ties. Was I ever like that?
  • Only one show could make you think you could make a bomb out of a rubber glove, toothpick, a few household chemicals and a stick of gum: MacGyver. Throw a little imagination in with gunfire action and you have one of the most influential shows of the 80's

Only one show could make you think that you could make a bomb out of a rubber glove, toothpick, a few household chemicals and a stick of chewing gum...MacGyver. Throw a little imagination in with gunfire action and you have one of the most popular and influential shows of the 80's. This show was so creative in nature that it was able to survie some weak acting by the supporting characters. Richard Dean Anderson is a decent actor, but many of the villains in each episode were terrible when it comes to acting skills. Yet, this is but a side note when looking at MacGyver, for the ingenuity of the show could reel any viewer in during its era. The action and special effects are nowhere near great by today's standards, but you must remember that this was a show before the days of CGI. Thus said, MacGyver's action and special effects do well enough for its time. Besides, it's the creativity of MacGyver that was the main attraction anyway.

My final review: Almost anyone and everyone knows who MacGyver is. That right there tells you it was an influential show. Quality wise, it was decent good for its era, decent for today, but the sheer creativity of the show puts it over the top.
  • MacGyver is an old school classic.

I always loved MacGyver. Really, who couldn't? He takes on all these bad guys with nothing but a pocket knife and on top of that, he is really smart. MacGyver always finds a way out of a sticky situation. I always loved it and when I flick past it I'll still stop to see whats going on!!
  • MacGyver -- give him his swiss army knife, a paper clip, some fertilizer, and a few chocolate bars and he just may get your falsely imprisoned cousin out of jail in some far off country. He's the man that could do anything with relatively nothing.

I used to watch this show 8 times a week. That right there has got to tell you something. It was an incredible show, even with the few inconsistencies that found their way into the stories (such as the two differing ways MacGyver met his boss Peter Thornton, played by Dana Elcar [who, incidentally, played an entirely different character in the series pilot episode]). There were some episodes in which the supporting cast wasn't always the greatest, making you wonder if this was the best of the bunch, how bad were the others? but over-all, for about the first four or five seasons, the show was strong and entertaining. Richard Dean Anderson played the character with wit and charm, warmth and sincerity. Some of his best moments are when his character is sick, or injured, as in "Nightmares" and "D.O.A.: MacGyver". There's one other standout episode in which Mac is blinded when a bomb explodes just before he's able to toss it into a dumpster. In the resulting explosion, his hands are also burned, quite badly. RDA turns in one of his finest performances in that episode.
    Every series needs its supporting cast of characters, and MacGyver had its share. In addition to Mr. Thornton, there was Mac's crotchety grandfather Harry Jackson (played by Harry Anderson), Mac's irrepressible (some might say "irresponsible") college buddy-turned-pilot Jack Dalton (portrayed with suitable panache by Bruce McGill) and the slightly air-headed actress with the heart of gold, Penny Parker (the anything-but air headed Teri Hatcher).
    The series began to lose its focus, however, when Dana Elcar had to leave the show due to health problems. Suddenly Peter Thornton was no longer there, and it seemed MacGyver's job at the Phoenix Foundation disappeared with him. Just as suddenly, Harry, Jack, and Penny were gone as well. The writers were left to scramble for ideas, and it showed.
    Even so, for the first four or five seasons, MacGyver was the best program on television, without a doubt.
  • one of my favorit classic shows defintly rare to see such an amazing show!!! great actor richard dean anderson , fun to watch he deserves it all!.

one of my favorit classic shows defintly rare to see such an amazing show!!!
    great actor richard dean anderson , fun to watch
    he deserves it allone of my favorit classic shows defintly rare to see such an amazing show!!!
    great actor richard dean anderson , fun to watch
    he deserves it all!. !. one of my favorit classic shows defintly rare to see such an amazing show!!!
    great actor richard dean anderson , fun to watch
    he deserves it all!. one of my favorit classic shows defintly rare to see such an amazing show!!!
    he deserves it all!.
  • I'm from sweden and here it still reaired sometimes and i'ts the greatest 80 serie.

Ecuse my english.

I remeber when this show come to sweden it was rhe greatest show on a long time and last time i saw it was 2002 on a swedish channel.

I have wright many email too the swedish chanels to get them to show it again.

anyway it is a great show.
  • Name another show where you can see someone de-fuse a bomb, using hockey tickets. And make a bomb using a tail pipe, metal shavings, and batery acid.

MacGyver, originally airing on ABC, and now in syndication, had a good run. It was on for 7 seasons. Even though some of the later episodes were a little after school special-ish, they still had their moments. And some, were a little corny, Good Knight MacGyver, for example, but still had their entertainment value. The shows had many guest stars, some of which became recurring characters. Even though the show is a little dated, people still say things like you Macgyver'd that, or who do you think you are..Macgyver? The show is even mentioned in shows on today, (the Simpsons). Overall it was a great show, classic status.
  • Awesome Show!

I think this is one of the best shows from the '80s. This is one of the many shows that my dad and I both love. We also used to watch it with my grandpa and grandma,too. I don't remember very much from any of the episodes, but i've been watching some of the re-runs on Spike and TV Land to get back into the grove. I always like how he figures how to find out different ways to use ordinary things (such as chocolate candy bars to fix a crack in an acid tank: Episode 1,Season 1) other then what that item is usually used for. I
    also liked that the MacGyver character didn't like guns. I've watched several older tv shows and movies and I only like some of 'em, MacGyver is one of my favorite shows. I've also bought Seasons 1 & 2 on DVD and will soon buy the Season 3 DVD set. Also I WILL buy Seasons 4,5,6 & 7 DVD sets when they come out.
  • A witty scientific action-adventure that features a very innovative and resourceful lead character.

MacGuyver is a classic show which featured a very innovative and resourceful main character that can make complex tools from ordinary household materials.

His adventures and the characters he meets become central plot in the whole series. Plenty of guest stars appear repeatedly in some episodes.

It has been one of my favorite shows. I remember watching it with my dad and my brother. It was one of the reasons I took up Chemistry in college. That's how influential it was.

I remember a very attractive young Terri Hatcher way back in this show. Despite my young age, I knew she was hot! ^_^

The first few seasons were superb and very amusing, although the last few episodes seemed to have become melodramatic and over-reminiscent of past episodes.

Even now people still make alussions to MacGuyver whenever a person makes brilliant tools out of the most obscure materials.

It is a very nice action show for the family since the main character, Angus MacGuyver (yes, that's his complete name), shuns guns.
  • This is a great classic! Fun to watch how he gets himself out of all kinds of situations.

Although compared to todays show it would get a lot of critizism that it wouldnt have back then. Things like, everyone speaks english regardless of what country they are from. But the thing about the show is how he comes up with different solutions. A gadget freak like myself love to se him work (although a lot of the stuff he does isnt possible).
  • This show is about Angus Macgyver. A secret agent for the Phoenix Foundation. Macgyver uses his brains nd talents to surpass challenges from villains. He does not carry a gun. He can make anything happen with a swiss army knife. An action series that can

This show was original and totally different from all violent, action tv shows. Macgyver’s character is completely different from any character of any action shows from today or even ever. Macgyver never used brute force that inflicts brutal violence. MacGyver actually used his brain and showed viewers that there's a better way than using guns. All of his tricks on the show are totally backed up by science. His only weapons are his swiss army knife and his brains. This show had great casts in it. A perfect role model for kids growing up that like action shows with good morals that can be learned.
  • One of the best shows ever made,and my favorite TV show of all time.

This is a great,and very intelligent show. Great for people of all ages. I was born in 1988,so I can vaguely remember watching Macgyver when I was a little kid. And when TV Land started showing it again a couple of years ago,I was hooked right away! Brought back some good memories of the early 90's.

Some of the reasons I like this show:

The Action. Sure,it's not the fancy CGI effects of today's TV and movies,but it's awesome anyway! Some very good fight and chase scenes. Especially in the episodes with Murdoc.

The story lines: Almost every episode of Macgyver has a good,and well thought out story line to it. It always keeps me watching,even if I've already seen the episode.

The values: I always liked that Macgyver is a good role model for kids. He teaches not to use guns,not to do drugs,etc.

Anyway,not much else to say except that this is one of the best shows ever made,in my opinion. If you haven't seen Macgyver,or if you've only seen a few episodes, I'd definitely recommend buying the DVD sets (first 3 seasons are out so far).Or catching it on TV Land or Spike TV.

Thanks for reading! =)
  • MacGyver was an American adventure television series about a laid-back, extremely resourceful ex-special forces secret agent named Angus "Mac" MacGyver, played by Richard Dean Anderson.

The series was created by Lee David Zlotoff and executive produced by Henry Winkler (The Fonz). It ran from 29 September 1985 to May 1992 on the ABC network. It was filmed primarily in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
    MacGyver's main asset is his practical application of scientific knowledge and inventive use of common items – along with his ever-present Swiss Army knife and duct tape and the usual coincidence of being locked up in a room full of special chemicals.
    This allows him to create a variety of unorthodox solutions, usually to escape capture, avert disaster, or defeat the antagonists.

MacGyver is a highly intelligent action hero who prefers non-violent conflict resolution wherever possible, and refuses to carry or use a gun due to a childhood accident with a revolver that resulted in the death of a friend.
    He was born and raised in Minnesota, which explains why he speaks with a Minnesota accent. (Richard Dean Anderson himself was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota.) He graduated from Alexander Ramsey High School in Roseville, Minnesota. His character is a graduate of a fictitious technical school called Western Tech where he earned a degree in physics.
    MacGyver's first name remains a mystery until the final season; whenever he's asked about it, he says he dislikes his first name and changes the subject. The script for the series pilot gave MacGyver's first name as "Stace", but this information did not appear in the finished episode, although it was mentioned in promotional material for the series. His first name was finally officially revealed in "Good Knight, MacGyver", in which he learns of a seventh-century Scottish ancestor, Angus M'Iver, and admits that they share their first name; and repeated in the series finale, which introduces MacGyver's son, whose middle name is Angus.
  • Get your paper clips and chewing gum together

7.9
    In the '80s there were only a select few who could go by one name - Madonna, Prince, Magnum, and, of course, MacGyver. The man with one name, the one who can create a nuclear bomb with a stick of chewing gum, a paper clip, and a rubber band, is back in a third season of international intrigue, sexy women, and big explosions. As Peter Thornton ( Dana Elcar ), MacGyver's boss says at one point in the third season, "He just always comes through, no matter what."
    How charmingly nostalgic the whole thing feels when you watch the show in reruns.The show clearly has a legion of fans (outside of Patty and Selma Bouvier).
  • Angus MacGyver, the one and only!

After using 10k $ on a new music/video system, you would think you would put on a huge and gigantic movie with 5.1 surround and a HD-quality pichture. But guess what, the first thing that my projector filled half the wall with was, as you might already been guessing, MacGyver. Mono sound, no HD-tv but the entertainment! It almost brought tears to my eyes when I put on the first season (the only one out on PAL Norw as far as I know) and the classical intro boomed from the all the seven speakers... At the same time... Mono as I mentioned... This will forever be my one and only favorite is on the top shelf of my box-collections. MacGyver is invulnerable in my eyes, and soon enough all the season-boxes will proudly shine the room alight on top of the shelf!

10/10
  • Awsome!

No more words are needed to describe this TV classic. MacGyver is indeed the most amazing TV show i've ever watched and worth re-viewing at any time.

I watched it countless times and now that the seasons dvd's are being edited i think its a great opportunity for those who might think that this not worth viewing to change their minds about it and to get addicted as many did and still do nowadays.

Overall, all seasons are very good (what else would i say :) ), very thrilling since the very first episode to the very last one.

Enjoy your shows.
  • MacGyver is like James Bond, but MacGyver doesn't use a gun, nor does he like guns. He uses every tool around him to get out of sticky situations. You name it MacGyver can use it and that's what makes this show so great and interesting.

If I had to pick my all time favorite show, this was it. MacGyver is my favorite TV show ever and it shows since it lasted seven seasons.

MacGyver worked for the Phoenix Foundation, which was a foundation that basically defeated the 'bad guys' around the world. MacGyver was a special forces agent.

Mac would go on missions, which some would be in the country and others over seas. Mac never used weapons (guns), because one of his child hood friends shot himself by accident and since that horrific accident, Mac doesn't believe in guns.

A pocket Swiss army knife is the only weapon Mac uses, and that’s not to protect himself, but help him get out of sticky situations.

Every episode was a new adventure for Mac, but he met Peter Thornton who was the director of field operations and gave Mac assignments. The two met by accident, as the duo met their arch enemy named Murdoch. Murdoch was trying to kill Peter, but Mac stepped in and saved him. Since that time and through the seven years Murdoch kept a grudge against both men.

Murdoch would die, but somehow came back and haunt both Pete and MacGyver.

This show is a 10 in my book.
  • The master of improvisation - and I'm not talking about the acting kind.

I think it's interesting to note how much Batman and MacGyver have in commmon. Both hate guns, both are highly inventive - and most of all, thanks to a lot of the Voice Over narration offered by Mac in the show, they have a real leaning towards the Hard Boiled detective.

What a fantastic show, one that has always helped influence my approach to any problem in life, big or small. If you look around, there's a solution lying around somewhere.

One thing I'm wondering though, is MacGyver really Scottish? 'Cause that doesn't sound like any clan I've ever heard? I have no doubt though, he'd able able to come up with a stylin' tartan in a pinch.
  • Macgyver must be the best show from the late 80's.

There is something about Macgyver that I love. The shows are not always brilliant, some of the guest actors couldn't act, and they stole clips from others shows, but despite all this Macgyver delivered a welcome dose of action and drama that was easy to watch and a bit of fun.

The basic structure of the show was Macgyver, a Hockey loving genius that could make the most amazing piece of equipment out of a broken coathanger and a bike pump, which could be then used to either escape form an impossible situation or be used to infiltrate a secret milatary prison!!

Even though Macgyver was far fetched, it offered the viewer a program that was well written and well presented. The plots where always original, and you could never guess what was going to happen next. For this reason Magyver was one of those shows that you just had to watch. I have recently been watching the re-runs on TV, and even though the clothes make the show look slightly dated, it still delivers great entertainment.
  • wow what a great show!!!!!!!!!!!!

MacGyver is the only I know who can make a bomb out of a potato and wire using a pocket knife and ductape LMAO!!!!!! This is one of the best shows of all time IMO. I am so damn glad they desided to put MacGyver on dvd. oh god YEA!!
  • MacGyver was my first hero!

I was around 12 and I found myself addicted to a tv series for the first time. MacGyver was my first idol, my first hero. My Dad had his first competition there! I had so much pleasure watching episodes and reruns throughout the years. I really miss it sometimes, so I can't wait to have all the dvds and go back in time!
  • MacGyver is a different kind of crime fighter, using brains over guns, with fantastic results. Working for the Phoenix Foundation he encounters many obstacles along the way, but always comes out on top.

I loved this show from the minute I saw it. It was during the orginal run and MacGyver was just too cool. He was smart and funny and could nail the bad guys without breathing hard. And all of it without a gun.

I was even more impressed when I learned that many of the "tricks" he did on the show had been lab tested and would actually work.

The character of MacGyver was real, and you felt like you knew him. His interaction with his friends Pete and Jack were spot on and his putting up with the ditzy but sweet Penny Parker is just what a friend could do.

But getting the "bad guys" where it hurts by the use of household chemicals, chocolate bars, and his ever present swiss army knife makes him the man you always want on your side.
  • A classic of my childhood. I really loved this character and his knowledge about any subject. When i was a child i would have paid to become as MacGyver!

This was probably my favourite show in childhood, when they aired it in my country i knew by heart every episode and i wanted to become as MacGyver. And nowadays when i do something ingenious i find myself singing MacGyver's theme song...i really liked how he hated weapons and always tried to win against fellons without causing them too much damage. I was (probably because i was a kid, but who knows) always amused how he did new things, how he adapted anything he could find to his porpuses, it's a real classic to me, and when i happen to find a re-airing i always stop there and see the episode. I will never get tyred of MacGyver, i grew with MacGyver's adventures!
  • still love it

I remember watching this when it was new and I still love watching the reruns.. it helps that RDA is such a hottie, but the stories were good, I like his ingenuity, whenever I see Duct tape I still think of MacGyver.. I wish we would of got a reunion show.. maybe it is still not to late
  • This was one of my favorite show as a kid growing up.

The early seasons of the show were definitely some of my favorote episodes. It seemed that the last few seasons the show really jumped the shark. It seemed like they try to turn it into an afterschool special. I liked it better when was a spy or the early years of the Phoenix Foundation. I didn't really like it when they became an enviromental group. I still enjoying watching the show now that it is in syndication.
< 1 2 3 4