MacGyver

The Assassin

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 07, 1986 on ABC

• At last....an adversary worthy of MacGyver's brilliance.

Writer James Schmerer goes out with a bang. This was my fifth favorite MacGyver episode overall, and the story was brought to life by the presence of elusive ubervillain Peadra, brilliantly played by actor Anthony DeLongis who would appear as another Eurotrash villian in MacGyver's third season. I've heard this episode is derivative of the film "The Jackal", but since I have not seen that film, I will cling to my long-standing belief that this is one of the most clever stories ever told. Reviewer sh811a said he was disappointed with the climactic scene where Peadra was "accidentally" killed via his own poison-tipped needle, but I looked at that as "divine intervention" consistent with the archbishop assassination theme....as in Peadra was "crucified" for his sins. That ultimately explains why MacGyver felt at the end that he never really felt as though he had "taken him" even though MacGyver technically got the better of him in the final melee since MacGyver escaped with his life and Peadra didn't. I have no complaints at all with this episode and considered to be an example of the series' best work, laying the groundwork for the Murdoc episodes in the seasons ahead.