MacGyver

The Escape

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Apr 16, 1986 on ABC

• A prelude to network TV's current gem "Prison Break"....MacGyver-style.

It took me several viewings to appreciate this masterfully crafted episode, but I have definitely become impressed with the elaborate script, far-fetched as it was that everything he needed to escape was within close proximity (why would Kahn have a random tape recorder on top of his stereo?). Even the danger of the lawless North African prison world was successfully conveyed on PG-rated MacGyver. Nonetheless, I lost some respect for the episode after the escape. The double cross wasn't so bad, but MacGyver's willingness to swallow Sarah's story and collaborate with her once again was kind of silly...and the final scenes with the Looney Tunes-esque gun powder trail was uninspired. Still, the main crux of the episode was the prison break, and it delivered big time.
  • MacGyver has to rescue a beautiful woman's brother from jail in North Africa. As soon as Mac enters the jail by assaulting two police officers his challenge is met. But, as soon as Mac rescues the woman's brother and gets away from jail, can they be tru

I enjoyed this episode, as I do with all MacGyver episodes... some good action scenes and a well written episode.

Mac quickly falls inlove with the beautiful woman, Sara, and basically will do anything for her! The funny thing is that he attacks two police officers by squirting soda pop in their faces... and Mac isn't even phased... knowing he will get out of the jail with no problems, beacause he is the man.

The MacGyver skill inside the prison was quite good, with the creation of the chopper noise and the PCP explosion to create a diversion for his escape. It was great when Brian and Sara turned on Mac, as a happy ending would of been very boring and added that bit of spice.

Overall, a great episode and enjoyed watching it.