MacGyver

The Gun

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 01, 1990 on ABC

6.6
  • The last thing this series needed was another episode chock full of anti-gun propaganda.

As I said before, I don't have strong feelings either way on guns, but I really didn't think there was a need for a second episode preaching anti-gun propaganda. And unlike "Blood Brothers", which had an engaging story with a gun control message that was reasonably subtle, save for one scene with an opinionated medic, this episode is openly, flamboyantly hostile to the gun industry and to police departments that don't destroy guns seized in crimes. The overall premise of this single handgun being recycled in crime after crime struck me as contrived for political purposes, and MacGyver's lengthy discussion of constitutional law with gun barons was downright embarrassing. Such brazen politicizing of such a controversial issue did this series no favors with viewers, and even at age 13 I knew it would draw bad press from gun enthusiasts who, for all intents and purposes, are the target demographic of action-adventure series like MacGyver. On the plus side, the grittiness of the production held up to the standards set by "Tough Boys", and the ending stunt with MacGyver blowing up the cargo container full of weapons in mid-air was very cool and saved this episode from being a total waste. Still, I could have done without a second anti-gun episode....and if they absolutely had to do one, I would have preferred the message not have been delivered with the subtlety of a sledgehammer.