MacGyver

The Lost Amadeus

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 19, 1990 on ABC

7.6
  • Something about this episode (and it was more than just Lulu) annoyed me.

I can't really put a finger on it, but this episode just didn't win me over. There was a certain campy fun to it at times, with the Roaring 20's costume party and MacGyver and Lulu crawling through the ventilation system into a shopping mall, but it really never seemed as if there was enough going outside of the glossier-than-usual production values. The Lulu character was an insufferable bimbo even by the standards of this series' female characters. While some of Lulu's banter with MacGyver was humorous, most wasn't particularly funny, and her pathological reckless driving ceased to be funny very quickly. The classical music was a good fit for many scenes and gave the episode some undeniable atmosphere, but in general I was disappointed with the execution, specifically the cartoonish villains. Not much else to say other than this episode displayed a level of weariness that was often tangible in the later episodes of any given season. At least we didn't have to suffer through another flashback episode in season five.