MacGyver

The Road Not Taken

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 10, 1986 on ABC

• Well-crafted adventure episode that improves with time like a fine wine.

The early seasons of MacGyver featured far too many idiotic villains completely unworthy of facing off against our hero. On the bright side, those buffoons help make the wry and sly villains such as the Cambodian general who engaged in an hourlong cat-and-mouse with Mac and Deborah in "The Road Not Taken" that much easier to appreciate. The MacGyverisms in this episode were all very clever and to see the general figure them out one by one made for one of this series' most impressive good guy/bad guy chess matches. I wasn't completely sold on the idea of MacGyver and Deborah as an item, but at least she was a semi-intelligent character who was given some credible dialogue to work with rather than one of the assembly line bimbos featured on this series. Pete's love interest seemed a little forced, but decent acting helped pull it off to some extent. Nielsen numbers improved to a 14.9 rating for this well-crafted episode...an episode that for whatever reason took a long for me to appreciate its solid craftsmanship.