MacGyver

The Visitor

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Dec 03, 1990 on ABC

• Despite the hokey premise, this episode comes off rather well.

As someone who grew up in rural Minnesota, I found it rather amusing to see Hollywood's latest incarnation of rural dwellers as rubish hayseeds dumb enough to buy into a lame con where payment of a family's life savings are required for passage on a trip to outer space. With that said, the characters are at least two-and-a-half dimensional and have a sympathetic plight. The execution of the episode, particularly MacGyver's reconstruction of the chemically simulated UFO landing, wasn't half bad. I never was able to swallow that stranger-distrusting John Wiley could ever believe the cartoonish Rigels were space aliens, but was generally able to suspend my disbelief and tag along for a fun hour, capstoned by the quirky presence of otherworldly vacuum cleaner salesman Phil Sternweis. Scheduled either before or after (depending on the time zone) the highest-rated football game of the season, this episode got a decent 13.9 rating, the second highest rating of season six. MacGyver would never get a rating this high again.
CLOO