MacGyver

Trumbo's World

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 10, 1985 on ABC

7.6
  • This was one of the most ambitious storylines ever executed on television.

MacGyver officially left his mark on primetime television with this pivotal and wildly ambitious early episode, getting heavy promotion during ABC's successful 1985 miniseries "North and South" and scoring an impressive 15.6 rating, snatching second place from "Amazing Stories" on NBC for the week. While the special effects and stock footage seem kind of cheesy today, nothing like this had ever been seen on television before and people took notice. The opening gambit was a masterful production itself, and the polished execution certainly confirms why the gambits had to be abandoned due to budget strain and production delays. My only complaint about the main story is that it took off a little slowly. We didn't even have a sense of the threat until the episode's second half, at which point many viewers may have been bored. But even accounting for the excessive use of stock footage, the episode was done well enough to continue impressing me today.
  • Macgyver vs. The Killer Ants

This is one of the strangest but suspensful Macgyver episodes ever. Watching this episode reminds me of a lot of those disaster films or even those when nature attacks horror films, some of them were good and some bad. This episode is one of the good ones, the bad guys are basically the killer ants, and from the camera shots they look mean and nasty, who would of thought something so small could be so deadly. You have a feelings of isolation and dread as you see the ants slowly closing onto Macgyver and Trumbo who use just about every option and idea Macgyver utilizes but those darn ants just keep on coming like an unstopable biological plague. Down to the very last statigium. Thrilling.
  • Not your normal MacGyver ep.

"Trumbo's World," though it may sound like some bizarre nature show, but it is actually one of the more original episodes of MacGyver. Killer ants taking over an island is not your typical post-Berlin Wall communist villain. Mac's innovative hand made fixes to overcome the ants' advancement are simply ingenious, and the lush island jungle is neat to look at. The supporting actors are only okay, as usual, but, of course, RDA is charismatic enough to carry the show. The opening gambit is alright, but not enormously exciting. All, in all, this is an entertainingly original episode, executed well enough.
  • Macgyver gets more than he bargained for when investigating a wildlife disruption.

Like Deathlock, this is an extremely memorable episode that everyone who originally saw it will probably remember today. While investigating some wildlife and habitat disturbances in the amazon, Macgyver uncovers a legion of ants slowly working there way across the jungle. The tension is built up early as we see long time natives of the region leaving there homes. To find a guide, Macgyver and his contact must journey far downstream into the jungle where a stubborn plantation owner, Trumbo, appears and reluctantly agrees to help Mac after he helps him fix some machinery. Trumbo is a rather irritable fellow and fiercely dedicated to his land and people. Only after Macgyver fixes an important piece of machinery does he finally agree to help him. The cause for alarm is soon discovered, and we see just how deadly the ants are as macgyver's contact takes a wrong turn and falls to his death, killed by thousands of bites. The episode really gets interesting then as Mac, Trumbo, and his assistant prepare how to deal with the ants and being isolated for days from any civilization. The stock footage is a bit painful seen nowadays but was certainly passable back then. IMO, the third best of season one.
  • MacGyver travels to the Amazon to help an ornithologist friend investigate strange wildlife occurrences on a small island. They must join forces with a reclusive local plantation owner to combat a bizarre natural threat. A surreal, so-so episode...

This review contains spoilers.

Well, this is certainly one of the oddest 'MacGyver' episodes that I have experienced yet. As I've said (like a broken record) on my reviews for previous episodes, 'MacGyver' is one of the few action-adventure shows of the era that I wasn't into "first time around", only watching it for the first time now on DVD. So with this one... I think it's kinda one of those where you had to be there, and many of those who were hail it as a classic.

First things first, the gambit, of Mac rescuing a kidnapped scientist from captors in the Pyrenees Mountains. It was okay, nothing special as the show's opening gambits go – and the woman was so moany that I wouldn't have minded if Mac had decided not to rescue her!

That out of the way, we're onto the main story. And what a surreal one it is. In short, MacGyver must put a stop to a horde of everything-eating mutant ants!

The acting in this one, to be honest, isn't the best. With all due respect to those involved, part of the charm with the series is the corny acting, but even so, this episode has some pretty hammy performances. Throughout we expect David Ackroyd's wealthy landowner, Trumbo, to be revealed to be behind some dastardly plot, which never happens, and eventually the mutant ants are revealed to be the menace of the episode.

One thing I have noticed watching 'MacGyver', is how it reminds me of those classic text and point-and-click adventure games I enjoyed playing on the PC so much as a kid. Not only the "combine everything in your inventory to find a solution" notion, but also the general structure of the stories. "Trumbo refuses to help > Look at faulty machine > It has a broken piston > Combine coins with leads and generator to arc weld piston > Replace piston > Machine will now work; Trumbo will now help". It plays just like one of those games.

Anyway, we're halfway through the episode, and it slowly becomes apparent that Trumbo maybe isn't the big villain after all. And then we get... the ants! For all of us expecting the revelation of some power-mad plot by Trumbo, it comes out of nowhere. If the episode has any faults, it is maybe that this whole ant plot was introduced too late into the episode; I felt it could have been laid out much earlier, and the episode presented as a more direct spoof of the many 1950s & '60s monster bug movies that obviously influenced it (and indeed, it uses chunks of footage from the 1954 film 'The Naked Jungle'!).

Beyond the maybe awkward outlining of the plot, the production values didn't strike me as too good in this episode. There were numerous uses of blue screen (using a blue background on characters to lay in another image / background), not only with the ants but also in a scene with Mac and Charlie on the boat. Add to this numerous stock footage shots even before those lifted from 'The Naked Jungle', and awkward frame speeding up / slowing down trickery with other shots... it did seem a bit "cheap and cheerful" to me.

It comes as a quite a surprise when Charlie dies, eaten alive by the ants. But it does add to the feeling of hopelessness, as the zombie ants swarm everything in their path.
    Of course, Mac does eventually get rid of the ants by brute force (he floods the area), but I liked the feeling of sheer desperation that was built up.

Through most of this episode, with the noticeable stock footage, shaky picture effects and dodgy acting, I had this episode ranked in the sevens. But towards the end, I kind of warmed for what they were going for; a nice change from the usual "power mad villain of the week" in both this show and its contemporaries, part of me likes the sheer outlandishness of this story. It isn't one of my favourites of the series, but I'll give it a reasonable 8/10.
  • Really awesome.

Macgyver is so awesome. This episode is my favorite, macgyver against killer ants. This episode have action, suspense and mystery. The ants are the bad guys in this episode, they will eat anyone who gets in their way. But Macgyver has a plan, he always have one and saves the day. This is classic Macgyver, it never gets better than this. This is the reason why I love watching this show. There's an element of horror, but this is not a cheesy horror flick, it's Macgyver, and it means it's going to be a fun show and it delivers, this episode is the best.
  • MacGyver battles a marabuta invasion of army ants!

Another amazing episode of MacGyver as he uses his wits to stop an ant invasion to a plantation. Thise is one of the most unordinary episodes, where MacGyver has to fight off an ant army destroying everything in its path! He shows in this episode how to make a welder out of jumpercables and a quarter, make a flamethrower, a bomb, and a anti ant suit!