MacGyver

Twice Stung

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 06, 1986 on ABC

7.2
  • "Sting" episodes are always strong on charm and cleverness, but light on any measure of credibility.

Don't get wrong. I love "sting" episodes. They're fun and cleverly crafted. This one, paying homage to co-star Dana Elcar's former role on the film "The Sting" was nothing if not fun. The execution was as good as can be expected for such an episode, but my biggest grievance with these kinds of episodes are the leaps of logic that need to be made by a viewer who is expected to accept that the bad guys will respond to every plotted scenario exactly as expected. For instance, what were the odds that, in response to Pete and Mac acting as though they didn't care about Joanne after Crowe kidnapped her, that Crowe would insist upon going into the police station with Mac and Pete just as planned? And what if Crowe hadn't made that request? Their entire plan would have fallen apart instantly. I realize we're supposed to take all these things with a grain of salt, but for some reason, I have a hard getting past that and full embracing episodes with "sting" plots. Either way, it's a fun episode and holds up even with annoying "bimbo of the week" Joanne.