Mad Men

Christmas Waltz

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM May 20, 2012 on AMC

• something (very) good, something (pretty) bad

I am disappointed I cannot give more than 8 to this episode, because it contains some of the best scenes this season. I'm referring, of course, to Joan and Don, that are perfect and sexy together. I am also sure that, as for Don&Peggy, this is one of the relations that will never develop into a couple, thank God.

Unfortunately, the other parts of the episode disturbed me. Unless the want to pass Lakshmi as a sort of deranged cultist, her presence is a misstep. Pity because the Hari Krishna storyline could have been interesting, if weird.

The Lane story was frankly depressing and not a real pleasure to watch: it's difficult to get sympathetic (or just interested) towards Lane. I guess his behavior during this episode will have heavy repercussions towards the end of the season, but as a separate storyline it does not excite me.

Something that was not too bad, instead, was watching the change in dynamics inside the Draper marriage: now that are not working together anymore, they are getting distant, in tastes, behavior and more in general in approach to life. It will be interesting to see if it is the beginning of the transition to a copy of the Don+Betty marriage, or just a fleeting cloud in a sunny sky.