A Mad Men Community
AMC (ended 2015)

While binge-watching has become the hot topic of when it comes to television-watching habits, AMC has other ideas. The cable network has become a bit of an experiment as it approaches a new phase in its lifetime, and its latest practice would make fans of Netflix's all-you-can-watch model starve to death.

AMC has decided to split the final season of Mad Men into two halves airing over two years. The upcoming seventh season, the show's final, will consist of 14 episodes, with the first seven airing in spring 2014 and the final seven airing a year later, in spring 2015. It's similar to what AMC has done with Breaking Bad, whose final 16-episode season was split into two batches of eight episodes each. But this time, AMC has named the two half-seasons ("The Beginning" and "The End of an Era," respectively), so it's totally different, right?

Mad Men fans should at least be kinda happy, because the decision means that Season 7 will get an extra hour; the original season order was only for 13 episodes. But other than that... yeeesh, I don't know. I wasn't a huge fan of splitting up Breaking Bad, which created a disjointed feel between Seasons 5A and 5B (although the condensed 5B has paid off, with one of the series' best seasons yet). Mad Men will be dealing with even shorter halves, which will make it feel like things are ending almost right after they begin. And Mad Men's style serves the slow build, which will be lost when it's chopped off right in the middle. The flip side to this is that the writers will have a lot more time to focus on fewer episodes, and can condense things, which should improve each episode's individual quality. Silver lining, maybe? [UPDATE] According to multiple reports, all of Season 7 will be shot in one production cycle, meaning that the entire season will be shot and completed well before the second half of Season 7 airs. That means everything will be written at the same time instead of two chunks (like Breaking Bad was) and everyone involved will be holding major spoilers for a loooong time. It also means the burden of a 14th episode falls on the writers to complete in the same time it took them to write 13 previously. So bunk to that silver linings, I guess. [/UPDATE]

However, other than prolonging a critically acclaimed show's demise, I can't really fathom a practical reason for what really is two seven-episode seasons. But at least one person has an idea:

What do you think? Can anyone out there defend splitting a season in two? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/17/2015

Season 7 : Episode 14

45 Comments
Comments (44)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
This whole trend of splitting seasons is ridiculous and a complete waste of viewer involvement. Yes, they'll jump through the stupid viewing hoop, but they shouldn't have to. And the networks are going to suffer from it, because inevitably more corners will be cut and the show itself will crumble from the practice.
Flag
AMC just doesn't give a s*** about us, making money rather than producing entertainment...

well, why not doing 13 seasons of 1 episode then ?
Flag
I don't understand it.. It just seams like 2 shorter seasons to me. Maybe a way for AMC to get more bang for their buck? Only having to pay actors and staff for 14 episodes over 2 years... instead of 24. Seems like the audience, fans, actors and show makers all lose out with these split seasons.
Flag
I kind of figured this would happen (though as I wish each half could be 13 episodes long :P ) . but hopefully they will make each half really interesting. Idk last season was ok but it felt like nothing really happened
Flag
They're doing this solely because other than The Walking Dead, AMC has yet to be able to find another hit show since Mad Men and Breaking Bad. I like Hell on Wheels just fine, but it's not exactly in the same tier. And anything else has been pretty much garbage. I was so excited about Low Winter Sun, too. How can something with Mark Strong, Lennie James, David Constibile, and Ziggy Sabotka possibly be this bad? But I digress...

They're just milking the last bit of exceptional television it has until The Walking Dead is the only show on the network. I guess that's what happens when you go to war with show runners on a regular basis?
Flag
I'm sorry to say but if you have a year long break inbetween episodes, just call it TWO seasons. Just admit that you're too lazy and the shows are too flaccid to have enough material for two full seasons.
Flag
/sigh

Of course they are...
Flag
They just can't have their last flagship awards darling die off in one 13 episode cycle. At least BB had 16 episodes, but 14? Doesn't even sound worth tuning in until 2015 to see it all in one.
Flag
This is totally because their pipeline is garbage, right? Sad to see, but it looks like AMC couldn't live up to its own hype.
Flag
AMC is such a garbage channel. Now they are forcing split seasons because the rest of their new shows are garbage. Once Breaking Bad is over I wont be tuning into AMC again.
Flag
AMC just wanted to remind us they are in fact a business and as a network, they truly do not give a shit whether we like how they run their business or not. We will watch it even if they decide to play the final 14 episodes over the next 14 years. Actually now I kind of wish they would do that, just so in 14 years I can read an article on TV.com that says "Mad Men's Finale 14 Years in the Making - Series Ratings High" to show their true power over the television watching population (myself included).
Flag
If the series is good, I think this is a good idea. If Breaking Bad were to have stuck to a traditional airing schedule it probably would've stopped airing, what, Fall 2011? This allows for the show to be stretched (dragged) out a little bit longer to extend the life, while also allowing the program to make sure the quality is up there where they want it to be instead of rushing everything through at once. This did wonders for The Walking Dead when they switched show runners.

Disclaimer: I've never actually seen Mad Men, but I'll be changing that soon.
Flag
This is a brilliant idea for AMC. I don't blame them at all; I'd do the same in the same exact situation. As talked about in a previous article, they don't exactly have anything to move onto other than Walking Dead. They're unable to come up with anything that wasn't passed on by other networks and as a result are trying to clone BB to replace it and clone WD.

Let's be honest guys. Season 5A and 5B of BB have been great and the best seasons of the show. The deal with BB has brought out some of the best written episodes and allowed the creative process to work more properly. Sure, it sucks for fans but patience is the key to these shows. The only thing I worry about with MM is the fact that last season seemed as if the show had peaked already. I'm not sure if there is enough left in the tank.
Flag
I hate when networks do this!! The scifi channel invented this years ago and I can't believe viewers still put up with this. This is why people in other countries download the Shows off the net they don't want to wait a year just to see what happens. There's even the lawsuit against Apple from a guy who bought a season pass off of itunes for breaking bad and only got access to the first half of the season. What is it going to take for the fans to react?
Flag
Mixed feelings. It kind of feels like a cheat as we're still only given one season's worth of episodes but then again I won't have to say good bye to Madmen this coming summer. 7 episodes are very little. I would have been ecstatic if they actually made the season into 18 episodes and split that into two parts.
Flag
seriously AMC ?
you suck
Flag
Seeing Lindelof s Twiiter all i m saying is: Vince Gilligan and crew write a decent season six maybe five maybe four for Lost.As for splitting seasons good call for Walking Dead and Breaking Bad and different story for Mad Men.I think exec AMC want to have a familiar show around good for them bad for the audience
Flag
AMC has also announced a live show after Mad Men called Talking Men, immediately following Mad Men...
Flag
Granted, I'm not a Mad Men fan. I think initially it was because I still hated Connor at that point, and I couldn't look at Vincent and not think about that, so it was better for my sanity.

Anywhos, I really dislike this concept in general, especially when they just bust it out for a final season. On a show like The Walking Dead that's done it most of its run, I can deal with it (the extra episode for each half season helps too), but to just do it for the final season seems silly to me. I completely get that it's a more money, hold off the downward spiral as long as possible, get some more Emmys ploy but on a show like Mad Men it's just going to cheat the fans in the long run.
Flag
AMC again shows its utter disrespect for fans everywhere in a move motivated by pure greed. F*** u AMC!
Flag
I'll be the 3rd vote to say it's a good thing. More time = better writing. It's not just that soap operas have bad writers, but also that when you rush things, you lose. The final run of this show will turn out better for it.
Flag
Ugghhh how annoying. It's not really that I want all episodes at once, it's that I'm ready for Man Men to end. Not because I don't like it or I'm tired of it, but... the show is ready to wrap up. Two more years just seems... eck.

Also, this really just seems like AMC knows it doesn't have a lot of great future prospects right and wants to draw MM out.
Flag
Totally agree, still love it but I'm ready for it to end.
Flag
Staff
How do I feel about this?

Flag
Fuck you, AMC...
Flag
that is so stupid.
Flag
omg ...

-14 episodes

-2 years...

I'd probably be dead...

this is ridiculous... AMC are deeply (DEEPLY) desperate...

Flag
I just don't understand the logic behind this. Why not call it season 7 and season 8 then? The whole splitting up of seasons is just stupid. You only get ONE final season. And if two halves of your final season are spread out over the course of the year, then only the last one is the final season. That's just stupid. I find this almost as annoying as when movies split final books into 2 (Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Twilight) Hope this does not catch on!! My biggest question is how does the network benefit from this. 14 episodes is 14 episodes. How can is possibly matter whether they are them back-to-back or a year apart?
Flag
Isn't it obvious? They spend money on ONE season (14 episodes) and as a return get twice the money and the audience twice the amount of time around.
Flag
was just going to write the same thing
Flag
Staff
I didn't mind the splitting of Breaking Bad because I was not ready to say goodbye to Jesse Pinkman (and I'm still not), but it worked because Breaking Bad is edge-of-your-seat, heart-attack-inducing drama and having a year to build up to the final 8 episodes really paid off for AMC. We all know it was really just about being eligible for another round of Emmys though (something I'm not mad about). But Mad Men is a quieter show and if AMC thinks they're going to see the same kind of media explosion around the end of Don Draper's saga, they are mistaken. Yeah, the show demands we pay attention to it, but not the same way that Walter White demands our attention. This is obviously just another way to hopefully get Jon Hamm an Emmy, and a way to fill their schedule since Low Winter Sun isn't working out, and they've canceled The Killing. Get it together, AMC.
Flag
If it hadn't been for the incredible awesomeness of BB5b, my only comment would have been "Fuck you AMC".
Flag
An internet reviewer, Nash, said that AMC has gone off the rails now. They had a bunch of brilliant shows, but they're ending and the network has no idea what to replace them with. So the soution is to make a spinoff (in Breaking Bad's case, which Nash predicted will crash and burn as 90% of spinoffs do) and prolong the money train as much as possible, similar to Harry Potter, Twilight, and the Hobbit series. I'm annoyed at the latter practice of splitting seasons into 2 seperate halves. USA and TNT do this with their shows (Suits is ending its summer half this week.) I understand lots of shows go on a few week hiatus, but I HATE habing to wait 3-4 months for the season to continue. Seasons are supposed to END during summer. 1 year = 1 season.
Flag
I don't understand this strategy. I know the argument is "so we'll have something good to show both summers", but I'm not buying it. Why not just order two seasons?
Flag
I think it's simply cheaper than ordering twice the amount of episodes. And it probably returns more money than only 1 full season (especially considering all the licensing!). It's the only logical conclusion, really.
Flag
Staff
By the time this show ends, Sally will be old enough to smoke.
Flag
Yeah, she's already looking older than her character.
Flag
Meanwhile, Bobby will probably be recast again and never ever age.
Flag
Staff

Meanwhile at the AMC Offices....

Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    The Bachelorette
    NEW
    ABC
  • 10:00 pm
    Mistresses Blurred Lines