Mad Men

Flight 1

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Aug 03, 2008 on AMC

• There is a difference in opinion on a business venture.

5.5
    "Mad Men" received 16 Emmy nominations, was the winner of Best Drama at the Golden Globes, yet I continue to be less than impressed. I'm going to catch heck for this, but the show just lacks action and excitement. I'm not expecting "24" level bombs and explosions, but we need more than we are currently getting.

From an acting standpoint, the show fails amongst the better releases in the genre. To say Jon Hamm isn't a method actor would not be fair criticism. He simply blindly stares at the other actresses/actors in the room and read his lines straight from the script. His drole performance may impress critics, but I have a feeling many casual viewers will not be excited by it. Vincent Kartheiser was also disappointing in Mad Men's latest installment. The usually spot-on and realistic actor did not grab hold of the screen and give the emotional performance such a powerful storyline should warrant. I don't know why the insufferable Elisabeth Moss continues to get all this screen time either. I expect this review to get a plethora of disagreement votes, but this needed to be said. If you take an unbiased look at AMC's first original drama you'll see that the critical praise is far less than justified.